Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!

Posted By: Anonymous

Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:13 PM

I hate to take pleasure in anothers demise, but this is good news. Hopefully this will help in unifying Iraq and reducing the amount of bloodshed. Any thoughts?

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticl...H-STATEMENT.xml

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:14 PM

can't wait for the first post decrying the extermination of this vermin. anyone?
Posted By: Erl of Baltimore

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:15 PM

May he rest in pieces.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:16 PM

Has it truly been confirmed? Just curious.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:28 PM

It's all over the news and al Qaeda acknowledged it as well - It sounds confirmed.
Posted By: Raymond

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:49 PM

Quote:

May he rest in pieces.

Posted By: Zamboni Driver

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 12:57 PM

From the AP:
"Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said the hunt for al-Zarqawi began two weeks ago, and his body was identified by fingerprints and facial recognition."

And as FBH said, Iraqi Al Queda has acknowledged that he is dead and using him as a martyr.

Not one to cheer a death, but hopefully this will help pave the path towards peace.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:01 PM

Quote:

Not one to cheer a death, but hopefully this will help pave the path towards peace.

is it alright to cheer a death though if that death leads to fewer deaths to the innocent?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:05 PM

This is very good news! Let's hear it for our military!!

Suzy
Posted By: Creditcop

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:12 PM

Very good news.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:13 PM

Great job by everyone involved... another one down...
Posted By: Zamboni Driver

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:18 PM

I'm not saying its wrong to cheer a death. My personal preference is to put the guy on trial and publicly humiliate them.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:19 PM

Quote:

Has it truly been confirmed? Just curious.

I don't mourn his death. I do mourn the eternal dam*ation of his soul. God did not create him for this, but Zarqawi chose this path. May the Iraqis rest in piece and may the allied forces bring swift death upon whomever takes his place.
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:22 PM

Top 10 Things Overheard Last Night in [censored]:

10. So, let me get this straight - not only do I not get 72 of my own, but I have to serve as one of Nixon's?

9. Why is pork the only item on the room service menu?

[please, continue...]
Posted By: deppfan

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:29 PM

Quote:

Top 10 Things Overheard Last Night in [censored]:

10. So, let me get this straight - not only do I not get 72 of my own, but I have to serve as one of Nixon's?

9. Why is pork the only item on the room service menu?

[please, continue...]

OMG, coffee up my nose and on the keyboard as co-workers strolling in this morning think I finally went over the edge....Too funny!
[please continue...]
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:33 PM

8. And I thought the deserts in the Mid East were hot!
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:45 PM

7. You mean to tell me that Satan is not the USA???

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:45 PM

6. At least I look good in the burka.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:48 PM

5. Technically, this wouldn't be [censored] for me; I have a lot of experience with camels.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:48 PM

The H word is censored??!?!?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 01:54 PM

4. What do you mean I have to shave, shower, and look at Playboy?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 02:07 PM

3. Praise Allah! I get 72 virgins, unlike Moussaoui(sp) who ended up with 72 new boyfriends.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 02:16 PM

LOL - #3 was good!!!!
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 02:30 PM

I am afraid it won't make much difference. Those people have so much hate in them, they won't be saddened by his loss. They will just get madder. And there will always be a replacement.

Peace cannot be logically or realistically discussed with people who have so much hate in them. They will never allow themselves to open their minds and see the other side's point of view. Or allow the give and take necessary for peace.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 02:33 PM

Suspicious that timing is only a few months before elections -- they real couldn't have gotten him before now? Come on!

As to effect on the war, short term I think there will be more attacks (vengence). Longer term possibly a reduction as Al-Qaida will be less organized. However I see this kind of like taking out a mob boss -- it disrupts for a while, but the mafia has survived, so will Al-Qaida.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 02:38 PM

Quote:

I am afraid it won't make much difference. Those people have so much hate in them, they won't be saddened by his loss. They will just get madder. And there will always be a replacement.

Peace cannot be logically or realistically discussed with people who have so much hate in them. They will never allow themselves to open their minds and see the other side's point of view. Or allow the give and take necessary for peace.

all is not lost though, nanois.

good leaders do not grow on trees. not to mention, his lieutenants have been culled off in the previous weeks, too.
Posted By: MadisonCali

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 02:55 PM

I agree about the timing...
Besides, if you cut off the head, another will grow in it's place.
I'm hopeful that this will have an impact, but weary that it actually will.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:12 PM

It may take a while...From the report it sounded as if he was meeting with his top aides...And we got them all! Hopefully the Iraqi PM will take the initiative and move to reconcile.

Bewtween Zaqawi's death and releasing hundreds of Sunnis yesterday, it may just get better...We'll see.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:14 PM

Quote:

Suspicious that timing is only a few months before elections -- they real couldn't have gotten him before now? Come on!

TICG, did you forget to take your paranoia medicine again???
Posted By: rainman

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:17 PM

Quote:

I suppose I should have seen that coming, but I didn't. Give it a rest, TICG . . . they got something to go right. And in this day of expanded election cycles, we're always a short time away from either the mid-term elections or the "big" one.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:22 PM

in the press conference this morning from Iraq...the General speaking thanked the reporter that asked that same question. He said it would be pretty amazing if they could actually "time" the killing of Zarqawi to anything they wanted!!! He actually laughed about it.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I suppose I should have seen that coming, but I didn't. Give it a rest, TICG . . . they got something to go right. And in this day of expanded election cycles, we're always a short time away from either the mid-term elections or the "big" one.

Bingo, Rainman. Something good happens, and the conspiracy theories start...give me a break. Can't they take it for what it is?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:45 PM

I hardly think that noticing so called 'coincidences' from a completely corrupt government makes you a conspiracy theorist.
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:48 PM

Quote:

I hardly think that noticing so called 'coincidences' from a completely corrupt government makes you a conspiracy theorist.

Well said.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:56 PM

Quote:

France is calling...been nice knowing you...let me know if you need help packing

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 03:57 PM

Quote:

This hate speech is extremely tiresome. Is Bush's administration really any more corrupt than the one before it?

If you want to call it incompetent, great. Hypocritical? fine. Pandering? Sure - those are all valid criticisms.

But political discourse is cheapened when you decide that the administration is corrupt simply because you disagree with them so violently - and then everything they do is suspect because (of course) they're corrupt!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:01 PM

Well, folks, as predicted, it only took 29 posts before the thread turned on Bush. Zarqawi IS still dead.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:02 PM

This is good news. Let's hear it for our military!

Suzy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:04 PM

Quote:

Well, folks, as predicted, it only took 29 posts before the thread turned on Bush. Zarqawi IS still dead.

Twenty-five, actually.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:05 PM

I bet the guy who dropped the bomb feels awesome. I probably would have dropped a few more for good measure.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:11 PM

Comparing my sentence to hate speech? Very interesting.
Very WRONG.
I was just backing up the right that someone had to express their views (which I know is hard not to bash when they're different from your own).

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:14 PM

Quote:

There was no comparison.

Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 04:16 PM

1200 ET: Zarqawi still dead.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:17 PM

Quote:

Very WRONG.
I was just backing up the right that someone had to express their views (which I know is hard not to bash when they're different from your own).

but the right to do something and the merit behind that thing are different things. while i think the gay marriage timing is incredibly suspect, the timing of zarquawi's demise is simply good fortune. you will marginalize what you say with your rights if those things are without merit.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:18 PM

1220 ET: Zarqawi still dead.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 04:18 PM

Which is still the point, I know.
That is definitely an accomplishment, regardless of the timing.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 04:20 PM

Thanks for acknowledging it.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:30 PM

Quote:

Very WRONG.

I selected my words carefully.

I fully support TICG's (and anyone else's including yours) right to express their view. I would never support suppression of your views. My point was that poltical debate in our country has largely sunk to the level of calling the other side names or impugning their integrity rather than actually getting to the point of disagreement.

You state that the government is corrupt as if you have some real basis for that assumption. Your assertion that the government is corrupt then forms the basis for your contention that the administration manipulated the timing of yesterday's success.

If you can demonstrate that Bush's administration is materially more corrupt than Clinton's, great. Or, if you used the same terminology in referring to the Clinton administration (which I seriously doubt), fine. If not, then I see your choice of words as disingenuous at the very least.

Criticize the adminstration all you want - in lots of ways, I'm right there with you. Disagree with me all you want - I'll respect your views and your right to hold them. But do it honestly, and take the trouble to make real criticisms. If you just go with the ad hominem name calling, then I can honestly categorize your post as lazy, disingenuous, or . . . hate speech.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:53 PM

Quote:

Well, I wonder what he will reincarnate as?
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 04:55 PM

It's almost 1:00 ET, does anyone know if Zarqawi is still dead?

I apologize if I've missed more updates.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

An American woman.

Suzy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:09 PM

A) My views are not based on 'assumptions' any more than yours are. I read. I do research. I'm not sitting idly by and determining my views upon 'heresay'. I was not basing my sentence on the ONE instance you mentioned (timing of the assassination). I have based it on several factors, non of which I felt the need to list out (page by page) when I state ONE posting on Banker's Online.
B) For someone who thinks the 'other side' resorts to name calling, you sure do take to it quickly. Lazy? Disingenuous? You don't know me AT ALL and that patronizing tone was absolutely uncalled for.

I am a new poster to this website, and I am learning quickly that there are people that seem to be just waiting to verbally attack anyone that dares to say anything that may not completely agree with their own opinion.
I am disappointed, to say the least.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:11 PM

My vote is a dung beetle

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:20 PM

Madison, please don't judge the whole website by the Watercooler. If you need help on compliance issues or bank work questions, the other listings deliver, usually in a prompt, friendly and civil manner. It just seems that in the watercooler, people tend to forget their professionalism and tact, probably because the topics are not work related.

There are certain posters that I would call "contrarian", that is, they will disagree nastily with anything you have to say, just for shock value or because they have a mean streak. If any posters irritate you, don't answer them. Sometimes we get some real good discussions; but sometimes these discussions degenerate into name calling. That is when it is time to move on to another topic.

Remember, any one can make you angry if you let them. Don't let them.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

An American woman.

Suzy

A Jewish Lesbian American woman. (who, of course will be frustrated in not being able to marry her partner -- see other thread).

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:25 PM

Quote:

No, but the fact that you think the governmen is completely corrupt does.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:28 PM

Sorry, MadisonCali, I don't mean to be patronizing. You called the administration corrupt and said that's the reason why timing of this event is suspect.

I'm just asking you to back up your statement that the administration is corrupt.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:32 PM

Quote:

Madison, please don't judge the whole website by the Watercooler. If you need help on compliance issues or bank work questions, the other listings deliver, usually in a prompt, friendly and civil manner. It just seems that in the watercooler, people tend to forget their professionalism and tact, probably because the topics are not work related.

There are certain posters that I would call "contrarian", that is, they will disagree nastily with anything you have to say, just for shock value or because they have a mean streak. If any posters irritate you, don't answer them. Sometimes we get some real good discussions; but sometimes these discussions degenerate into name calling. That is when it is time to move on to another topic.

Nanwa, I agree with you, but I disagree that Madison was treated uncivilly. She jumped into a political discussion. In my experience they are not for the feint at heart at the dinner table or on BOL. I don't think they should be used an opportunity to impune or insult, but I don't see where Madison was impuned or insulted.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:38 PM

Is Vince Foster still dead?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well said.

You people are freaking morons! This is one of the greatest achievements in the war on terror and you cannot let go of your politics for five stinkin seconds and acknowledge the fact that the world is safer. Freakin Idiots!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:45 PM

Ah, the usual conservative come back -- "back up your statement"

Now here's an observation of a difference between liberals and conservatives:

Liberals tend to say what they think off the top of their head. It may end up coming out as stupid crap, but it's honest. Conservatives make stupid crap up, and then carefully prepare the twisted logic to back it up before they say it.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:55 PM

It is 1:45, is he still dead?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:57 PM

Quote:

Foxnews.com says so!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:58 PM

sox,

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 05:59 PM

Madison may not have directly been impuned or insulted, but, by looking around at other topics, you can see others getting rather testy.

I think it is fine that we can disagree, but not get nasty about it.

Heck, if everyone agreed, wouldn't this world be rather dull?
Posted By: Snowqueen

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:02 PM

Brought to you courtesy of the Red, White and Blue!!

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 06:02 PM

13:02 ET. Zarqawi still dead.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:05 PM

Quote:

Ah, the usual conservative come back -- "back up your statement"

Now here's an observation of a difference between liberals and conservatives:

Liberals tend to say what they think off the top of their head. It may end up coming out as stupid crap, but it's honest. Conservatives make stupid crap up, and then carefully prepare the twisted logic to back it up before they say it.

Totally wrong! I generally don't prepare twisted logic to back up my stupid crap until after I've said it.

But in all seriousness, I was really just trying to point out that ad hominem attacks don't raise the level of debate. If she really believes the administration is "completely corrupt" I'd like to know why. If that's just hyperbole, well then yeah, I'll call her on it.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nanwa, I agree with you, but I disagree that Madison was treated uncivilly. She jumped into a political discussion. In my experience they are not for the feint at heart at the dinner table or on BOL. I don't think they should be used an opportunity to impune or insult, but I don't see where Madison was impuned or insulted.

She was most certainly treated poorly. And here's a newsflash ... some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling or gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Foxnews.com says so!

Actually, I stand corrected: the headline on foxnews is "Terminated". Was Governor Schwarzenegger (sp?) involved in the airstrike?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:13 PM

Shemp here.

TIGC, are you suggesting that unfounded, incorrect statements should be our bases of evaluating the validity of an argument.

Can you please find me where we have made "stupid crap" up.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 06:14 PM

Quote:

gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

14:15 ET. Zarqawi gleefully dead.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:16 PM

Quote:

She was most certainly treated poorly. And here's a newsflash ... some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling or gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

grow up! she was not. rainman is one of the most thoughtful, insightful and deliberate posters here and i have NEVER seen him disrepect anyone. everyone of his posts to her have been asking her to back up what, to me, was a ridiculous, knee-jerk conspiracy claim. he wanted to see merit instead of partisanship.

why don't you go to another message board if you do not like this one?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:16 PM

It is now 14:15 and Zarqawi just appeared in my office and confirmed he is deader than a pile of camel manure.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

14:15 ET. Zarqawi gleefully dead.

I’m guessing he’s not so gleefull, what with finding out that there are no virgins and all.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 06:23 PM

Quote:

some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into . . . gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

i thought that was premise of this entire thread. i'm gleeful.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 06:26 PM

i'm gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful!

aaahhhh!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

grow up! she was not. rainman is one of the most thoughtful, insightful and deliberate posters here and i have NEVER seen him disrepect anyone. everyone of his posts to her have been asking her to back up what, to me, was a ridiculous, knee-jerk conspiracy claim. he wanted to see merit instead of partisanship.

I must have misunderstood the terms lazy and disingenuous. My bad. Shove it.

Re: Zarqawi still dead - 06/08/06 06:29 PM

There's a picture of him on Yahoo.com (at least there was this morning).
He DEFINITELY does NOT look gleeful.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:29 PM

Quote:

he described her arguments (or lack thereof) or argumentation style that way.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH, THE IRONY!!!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:33 PM

let's get off the self-centered discussions of our feelings here and get back to the subject of the thread.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

he described her arguments (or lack thereof) or argumentation style that way.

Agreed-the point was that if she was going to make the assertion that the gov't is corrupt, without saying why she feels that way, than the comment is disingenuous. I may not agree with why she thinks the gov't is corrupt, but lets hear why she thinks it is corrupt.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH, THE CONTINUED IRONY!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:35 PM

SP said:

Quote:

some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling

but apparently not in response to:

Quote:

completely corrupt administration

Ironically, my posts seeking to move the discourse away from name calling has had the reverse effect. That is unfortunate.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:37 PM

Thanks, Sweetpeas.
I think I may have gotten a little oversensitive this morning (new job and all).
For the record, when I was speaking to the nastiness of some of the responses, I wasn't just speaking about the response I got, but the ones that I have been reading in other threads over the past several days.
I guess I am confused about one thing, however (since I've been branded a 'liberal' who refuses to back up my supposed hate speech, which, if you knew me, is the funniest thing EVER). How come I'm getting all of this flack for not backing up my opinion, but the oh-so-eloquent Rainman hasn't been expected to do the same? Apparently, patronizing others by nit-picking one sentence and then bashing their character is called 'backing up your view', in this forum.
I'll try to remember that.

I really didn't mean to enter into a 'political' shouting match. I just wanted to try to enter into some of these threads. Thought I might have something in common with some of you, since we're all in the same profession and are surrounded by the same problems and frustrations.
'Newbie' mistake.

Quote:

SP said:

Quote:

some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling

but apparently not in response to:

Quote:

completely corrupt administration

Ironically, my posts seeking to move the discourse away from name calling has had the reverse effect. That is unfortunate.

I don't think you honestly thought calling someone's comments hate speech was really going to move the discussion to a more positive level.

And the thread did not degenerate into "gleefully celebrating the death" of this terrorist scumbag-it started that way. Truth in advertising.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:39 PM

Quote:

let's get off the self-centered discussions of our feelings here and get back to the subject of the thread.

Well said. To sum up:

Zarqawi still dead. Everyone happy for that outcome.

Zarqawi's death doesn't quell liberal disdain for Bush.

I think that pretty well covers it. Here's to hoping that Zarqawi's death weakens and disrupts the terrorists in Iraq and hastens the return of our troops.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:48 PM

Thanks. and i'll toast to that and one dead terrorist!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:52 PM

Well, that photo of him sure looks like he is dead. Or asleep. Or another guy, since I never met the man.

I will just have to take the media's word for it that it is him and he is dead.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 06:59 PM

Quote:

Well said. To sum up: Zarqawi still dead. Everyone happy for that outcome.

That may be inaccurate. There is one poster who, while promising to throw a party in the event of a joint Bush/Cheney suicide, is not pleased that some of us are happy that the US military has exterminated this vermin.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:07 PM

MadisonCali,

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down. Welcome to BOL. Just don't let them get to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J,

I'm not sad that he's dead. We reap what we sow. He went to war with the US and he lost. I just think this thread is really bad karma. When the Twin Towers fell and Arabs were celebrating the death of their enemy (the US) some of you clucked your tongues and called them barbarians. Now the shoe is on the other foot and your behavior is no different (and no better).

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:12 PM

Quote:

MadisonCali,

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down. Welcome to BOL. Just don't let them get to you.

Madison, I would not heed this plea to prejudge those who lean to the right in the cooler. Instead, just trust your own experiences.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:13 PM

Quote:

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down.

Not so. Those on the right are routinely called out on these threads to justify their positions and to provide factual support for what they say. Those on the left should expect the same. You're all about equal treatment, right?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:16 PM

Quote:

Now the shoe is on the other foot and your behavior is no different (and no better).

Madison, beware! This is the opinion of a person who is trying to take you under her wing.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:18 PM

Quote:

J,

I'm not sad that he's dead. We reap what we sow. He went to war with the US and he lost. I just think this thread is really bad karma.

If that is bad karma, how bad is it to promise to celebrate the death of a President?

Quote:

When the Twin Towers fell and Arabs were celebrating the death of their enemy (the US) some of you clucked your tongues and called them barbarians. Now the shoe is on the other foot and your behavior is no different (and no better).

Sweetie, apparently this is a difficult distinction, so I'll type s l o w... on 9/11, terrorists deliberately targeted civilians. Yesterday, we targeted a terrorist. They are not morally equivalent actions, and what is an appropriate reaction to the second is wholly inappropriate for the first. Got it?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down.

Not so. Those on the right are routinely called out on these threads to justify their positions and to provide factual support for what they say. Those on the left should expect the same. You're all about equal treatment, right?

Ah, Rainman, you have pierced my heart by rebutting me with the equal treatment argument. I will amend my theory to anon posters. Anyone to the left of Pat Robertson is shouted down by ANONs.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:27 PM

LOL.
I have noticed that.
I'll say this for Rainman, et al...
At least they own up to everything they're saying, nasty or not
Bravo to them for that!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:29 PM

J is right on-a big difference between targeting a terrorist and his compadres and murdering 3000+ innocent civilians.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:40 PM

Quote:

Sweetie, apparently this is a difficult distinction, so I'll type s l o w... on 9/11, terrorists deliberately targeted civilians. Yesterday, we targeted a terrorist. They are not morally equivalent actions, and what is an appropriate reaction to the second is wholly inappropriate for the first. Got it?

It's not the killing (those are two completely different instances) it's the celebrating. I went ahead and typed mine real fast because you don't actually listen to anything I say, you just patronize and slam.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I'd say everyone likes to be treated equally - it's exciting and democratic. The Right must state accurately what they mean and then be prepared to back it up and so should the Left. I really don't have a problem with that. I don't like the name calling and the fake astonishment in some posts. "What? You say you believe XYZ! My Gawd, I've never heard of such a thing!" That gets a little boring.

Suzy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:51 PM

We are celebrating a very different event than they were. I truly can't see how any sane person would not see the difference and also see how one is acceptable and the other contemptable.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:53 PM

Quote:

We are celebrating a very different event than they were. I truly can't see how any sane person would not see the difference and also see how one is acceptable and the other contemptable.

I really can't see how calling someone with a different opinion "insane" adds anything to the conversation. Now we both have posts to ponder.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I really can't see how calling someone with a different opinion "insane" adds anything to the conversation. Now we both have posts to ponder.

It adds to the conversation because it is REALLY my opinion, not name calling. I do not see how a sane person cannot see the difference between:

1) celebrating justice and the saving of thousands of innocent lives; and

2) celebrating cold-hearted murder and the taking of thousands of innocent lives.

I am not calling anyone insane, but I don't see how a sane person cannot see the difference and celebrate along with us.

That's all I have to say to you. G'day.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:02 PM

No, you could have easily made the point without the name. You seem to be getting really good at moral relativism. Bravo.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:15 PM

Quote:

Ah, Rainman, you have pierced my heart

I've made the woman swoon! My work here is done. Have a good day, everyone!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:18 PM

Quote:

It's not the killing (those are two completely different instances) it's the celebrating.

And that's why I said: "what is an appropriate reaction to the second is wholly inappropriate for the first".

This beast was keeping severed heads in boxes. He is pure evil, and his demise is as welcome as the sunrise in the morning.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:23 PM

This beast was keeping severed heads in boxes. He is pure evil, and his demise is as welcome as the sunrise in the morning.

Agreed. No great loss.

Suzy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:37 PM

Quote:

No, you could have easily made the point without the name.

What name?

Quote:

You seem to be getting really good at moral relativism. Bravo.

Where? When?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:45 PM

I think we have a first. We have 0 people agreeing with SP. Usually we just have one, but this is bad. SP, you took what someone said and tried to make us into killers. Look at who died. I hope you go over there and join the insurgency. I will pay your plane ticket.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:46 PM

BTW that last post was a joke. I do not actually wish harm on any of you, but SP wishes harm on anyone who loves the US of A.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:49 PM

Quote:

BTW that last post was a joke. I do not actually wish harm on any of you, but SP wishes harm on anyone who loves the US of A.

If you honestly believe that then there is no hope for you.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:53 PM

well your first posts had nothing to do with AZ and you still have not denounced him, like Suzy has. That is why not everyone dislikes Suzy.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:54 PM

Quote:

BRAVO!!!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:54 PM

Learn to read! *Hint* First you need to pull your head out of your butt.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:56 PM

Quote:

This post has been reported to the moderators.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Knock yourself out. Literally.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 09:12 PM

Quote:

yeah, and i bet they're getting a real hoot out of it too.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 09:12 PM

Zarqawi was killing civilians...not coalition forces. He promoted a civil war...even went so far as to say not to fight the coalition.

I am VERY thankful and happy that he is dead.

Lawmansbabe

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 09:36 PM

Quote:

I think we have a first. We have 0 people agreeing with SP. Usually we just have one, but this is bad. SP, you took what someone said and tried to make us into killers. Look at who died. I hope you go over there and join the insurgency. I will pay your plane ticket.

This is ridiculous. No wonder you don't want to own your posts. If you think it's funny, you're a sad, little person.

Suzy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sweet Pea, you really seem like an angry person. I know you have some very strong opinions but let me tell you, after all your name calling and childish responses (and I am not saying you are the only one) your points are totally lost.

I am a strong believer that we don't belong in Iraq but the point is - we are there and bad things are happening daily. This man was very much the instigator of many of the bad things. Maybe in a perfect world we could have captured him and put him on trial but it didn't go that way. He was a murderer and during a war, that can get you killed. Now if we can just get Osama.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 11:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sweet Pea, you really seem like an angry person. I know you have some very strong opinions but let me tell you, after all your name calling and childish responses (and I am not saying you are the only one) your points are totally lost.

I am a strong believer that we don't belong in Iraq but the point is - we are there and bad things are happening daily. This man was very much the instigator of many of the bad things. Maybe in a perfect world we could have captured him and put him on trial but it didn't go that way. He was a murderer and during a war, that can get you killed. Now if we can just get Osama.

The conspiracy theorists predict he will be captured mid to late October. Strictly political...

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/08/06 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Obviously you didn't read the thread very well either. I have no issue with us killing the man. I said we shouldn't be celebrating it like barbarians. And quite frankly, that you would choose to harp and on this post (especially after using my name twice today to make snide remarks and then sitting on high and lecturing me on name calling) and not the one where the anon said I wish harm on all people who love this country is baffling.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 12:23 AM

WE WILL CELEBRATE HIS DEATH LIKE THE ISREALITES CELEBRATED THE DEATH OF GOLIATH!!!! IT IS NOT BARBARIC. IT IS JUSTICE AND IT IS SAVING LIVES EVEN AS WE SPEAK!!!!!!! IN FACT, I AM HEADING TO THE FRIDGE RIGHT NOW TO POP OPEN A BEER AND DRINK TO HIS DEATH. ANYONE CARE TO JOIN ME??????

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 03:06 AM

Quote:

Obviously you didn't read the thread very well either.

what was that all about? is somebody paying you to say this crap? if this place is too frustrating, PLEASE, go to one of those other sites.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 10:56 AM

Is he still dead? It is 6:56 am.
Posted By: pjs

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 12:11 PM

Quote:

Is he still dead? It is 6:56 am.

They are going to take DNA sample to make sure it is him.

Maybe the question is IS THIS THREAD DEAD-?
Hopefully you all got a good nights' rest.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 12:27 PM

WARNING: THIS THREAD IS CELEBRATING GLEEFULLY THE DEATH OF ZARQAWI. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THAT, I RECOMMEND STAYING OUT OF THIS THREAD.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 03:59 PM

Day 3. Zarqawi still dead. Thread dead. Good day.

Join us again on Monday. By then the entire event should be redefined in the media as 'another' Bush disaster.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 04:03 PM

Are we really sure that Zarqawi is dead?

According to Leno last night, the picture of the dead Zarqawi looked a lot like Pavarotti.

So, do we have a dead terrorist or dead tenor?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 05:45 PM

SP - I'll second the motion, anything of value you have to add is lost by your constant negativity, personal attacks, and taking affront at anyone who dares question or disagree with you. Rather than respond, why not try to take the high road and just stick to your convictions. In case you haven't noticed, your response does nothing but fuel their additional attacks.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 05:57 PM

Quote:

SP - I'll second the motion, anything of value you have to add is lost by your constant negativity, personal attacks, and taking affront at anyone who dares question or disagree with you. Rather than respond, why not try to take the high road and just stick to your convictions. In case you haven't noticed, your response does nothing but fuel their additional attacks.

And why didn't you take the high road and let the issue die? Couldn't be because you enjoy taking a shot as much as anyone else? Nah, that's just bottom feeders like me.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 06:14 PM

And one more thing ...

Several registered posters and a whole host of anons have made it quite clear your intention is the run me off the site. You can put me on ignore or you can just choose not to respond, but I have just as much right to be here as the numerous people who have done nothing but personally degrade me. And that's the issue folks, you can twist it any way you like but as long as people are disagreeing with my posts everything is fine, but when people rip on my education, my being single, being attacked and forced out of my home and serious health problems, I am not going to be pleasant about it.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 06:22 PM

Quote:

And one more thing ...

Several registered posters and a whole host of anons have made it quite clear your intention is the run me off the site. You can put me on ignore or you can just choose not to respond, but I have just as much right to be here as the numerous people who have done nothing but personally degrade me. And that's the issue folks, you can twist it any way you like but as long as people are disagreeing with my posts everything is fine, but when people rip on my education, my being single, being attacked and forced out of my home and serious health problems, I am not going to be pleasant about it.

suit yourself then. but nobody is preventing you from going to the door.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 06:27 PM

Ok guys, that is not the point. We don't want her to leave, just realize that everybody has a right to say what they want, but nobody has a right to get nasty and personal.

SP, I think if you would just let much of what you consider "personal attacks" slide, they would stop. You keep egging people on. Truthfully, much of what you say is much nastier than what they say to you. Lighten up. Trust me, Ihave been there, X (at that time Paragon) was just hateful when I started here. Now I laugh at his shallowness.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 07:30 PM

speak for yourself KC. i want her ignorant a$$ gone. she brings down the iq of this site every time she logs on.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 07:35 PM

Quote:

speak for yourself KC. i want her ignorant a$$ gone. she brings down the iq of this site every time she logs on.

Since I can't seem to tell ... would someone let me know if this is a personal attack?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 07:38 PM

OK, it is 3:39 -- has it been concluded that he is officially dead, yet?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 07:48 PM

THIS JUST IN: ZARQAWI IS DEAD! WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULAR PROGRAMMING: Dr. Phil takes on anonymous online bloggers and the reasons they remain in the shadows.
Posted By: ChicagoGuy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:00 PM

he's still dead at 3:59pm....

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:01 PM

Don't worry, he won't be alive again until 6/6/2106.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:04 PM

I just thought, since death is a part of life--he can "live" in his part and we'll all call it a weekend in our part and go have a drink to toast his "graduation" to the next step of life.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:45 PM

Quote:

And that's the issue folks, you can twist it any way you like but as long as people are disagreeing with my posts everything is fine, but when people rip on my education, my being single, being attacked and forced out of my home and serious health problems, I am not going to be pleasant about it.

Gosh SP, I don't recall doing any of these. Mine was what I would deem to be friendly advice, much as KC said...let what you think to be slights go, or better yet, make fun of them. Since X called me the first queen, I turned it around and made a joke of it. When posting to him, I always make sure to reference my gayness, my queenness, my wearing pink shirts. It freaks him out, and makes me laugh as nothing could be further from the truth (well, except the pink shirt part, I own 3 and they are smokin...).

That being said, a little levity or a litle ignoring could go a long way. After all, do you really think you can change anyone's opinion on here? I know I can't.

Oh, one more thing...ignore the anons. I rarely respond to them, and it keeps your blood pressure down.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:48 PM

X is a woman.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:50 PM

Are you kidding or serious?
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:53 PM

Serious.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 08:55 PM

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 09:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Since I can't seem to tell ... would someone let me know if this is a personal attack?

Yes SP that was a slam from a jerk that can't even ID himself. Best advise, ignore. The person doesn't exist if you can't see him.

Beside, we wouldn't want to lose your cute kittie pic.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 09:52 PM

Good! Just one question--do you guys have jobs?? After reading this particular thread (which by the way, some of it would be an extremely poor representation of our profession--crude and obnoxious) I can't figure out how you have time to sit on the computer posting so long. What an eye-opener this is! I'd get fired if I wasted this much time! There--something new to argue about! Have a ball.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 10:03 PM

Get back to work.

Sincerely,
Your boss
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 10:18 PM

So, how have you had so much time to read this post or any of the other posts? It takes just about as much time away from work to read the posts as it does to participate. No one has any idea what the day has been like for anyone that posts here and how this may be the only break a person has during the day. Some days I'm in the cooler more than others but I don't take breaks during the day for other reasons, some days the cooler brings a little sanity to my otherwise crazy day and sometimes I just need to connect with another human and believe it or not I do that in the cooler. Lighten up!!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 10:32 PM

Thanks Happy and KC. Sometimes when you get crapped on with such frequency in here you assume everyone is doing the crapping. Thanks for not just throwing in the towel and further explaining your comment.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 10:36 PM

You are welcome. Now go home and have a good weekend.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/09/06 10:41 PM

Quote:

You are welcome. Now go home and have a good weekend.

Yes, ma'am.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/10/06 04:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks Happy and KC. Sometimes when you get crapped on with such frequency in here you assume everyone is doing the crapping. Thanks for not just throwing in the towel and further explaining your comment.

Please do not read this SP if you do not want advice from an anon because I don't want to get ripped a new one for giving you my assessment and my advice.

Why do you think you are singled out to "get crapped on" so often?

I don't think it is because you are liberal. There are lots of liberal BOLrs who do not get crapped on like you do. The reason you get crapped on is because you crap on others. You started out with mild crap, but unfortunately, it has escalated. It has now gotten out of control, by both you and those crapping on you. There is one anon crapping on you who has gotten way, way out of control.

The crapping on you will likely stop completely if you'll address everyone with respect whether you think they deserve it or not AND either:

1) completely ignore those who do not address you with respect; or

2) address them as if they addressed you with respect.

I actually think that as you have gotten more and more crap (and more offensive crap) dumped on you, you have dumped crap more and more (and more offensive crap) on others, including innocent bystanders.

I am sure all the crap you get makes you edgy, but if you'll just resist crapping back, it will end. If you continue to crap on those who crap on you, please at least quit complaining that you get crapped on. It is tedious to listen to someone continually complain about their situation but not do anything about their situation.

If you don't like what I said, please ignore it, but don't crap on me.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:28 PM

Monday morning......still dead!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:29 PM

Thanks for the update... I was wondering.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update... I was wondering.

I figured you might be!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:41 PM

Quote:

out of curiousity, what is the point of these updates? are they being posted with the same effect as the munchkins celebrating the witch being dead? you realize that in iraq just like oz, the job is not done and the terror will continue on.
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

out of curiousity, what is the point of these updates? are they being posted with the same effect as the munchkins celebrating the witch being dead? you realize that in iraq just like oz, the job is not done and the terror will continue on.

And your point is????

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

lighten up, will ya?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 01:56 PM

the flying monkeys were terrorists?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 02:44 PM

The point that you don't get is that someone hijacked this thread to make it about themseleves, so they post teh "he is stioll dead" as a tongue-in-cheek reminder that the thread is off track...but the humor appears to be lost on you
Posted By: RandomName

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 03:04 PM

Quote:

the flying monkeys were terrorists?

Good lord, the terror brigades have achieved aerial superiority! Let the fecal flinging begin...

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 03:18 PM

Quote:

The point that you don't get is that someone hijacked this thread to make it about themseleves, so they post teh "he is stioll dead" as a tongue-in-cheek reminder that the thread is off track...but the humor appears to be lost on you

Is the humor lost on me, or on the anon who wants to make support for regime change in Oz the official position of the US government?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 03:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is the humor lost on me, or on the anon who wants to make support for regime change in Oz the official position of the US government?

Can't be any worse than what we have now...

"Ignore the cowboy behind the curtain..."
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 04:32 PM

Quote:

Ahh, if only we could.....

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What a wonderful word it would be.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What a wonderful word it would be.

keep drinking that kool aid

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 07:26 PM

He actually resembles one of the flying monkeys. I think the Veep is more like the Wiz.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 08:07 PM

Actually, I think he looks more like one of those munchkins from the lollipop guild.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 10:31 PM

Why is Sourpeas such a ?????

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 10:59 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think he looks more like one of those munchkins from the lollipop guild.

Nope, those were the good guys.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/12/06 11:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, those were the good guys.

My bad.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/14/06 07:43 PM

I think that it is rather hypercritical of us to be celebrating the death of this man (much like the celebrations by some on 9/11). True he was a horrible man but for us to celebrate his death what does that say about us? When we do things like this we bring ourselves down to their levels and then who are we to parade around saying we are right? Something to think about when we are celebrating the death of another human. (And yes I am against the death penalty too!).

Just a thought and I expect to be disagreed with but that is what makes this country great!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/14/06 08:09 PM

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

6 When the men were returning home after David had killed the Philistine, the women came out from all the towns of Israel to meet King Saul with singing and dancing, with joyful songs and with tambourines and lutes.

7 As they danced, they sang:
"Saul has slain his thousands,
and David his tens of thousands."

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/14/06 10:58 PM

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

6 When the men were returning home after David had killed the Philistine, the women came out from all the towns of Israel to meet King Saul with singing and dancing, with joyful songs and with tambourines and lutes.

Sure, and what did that lead to? Saul's insane jealousy and the end of his man-crush on David. Did anything good come of it?
Posted By: straw

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/14/06 11:00 PM

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

Could a Muslim point to this and say Jews and Christians are uncivilized savages?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/14/06 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

Could a Muslim point to this and say Jews and Christians are uncivilized savages?

I would think so.

Also, do you notice no one pulls out the old testament until they want to rationalize questionable behavior?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 11:18 AM

The question is: IS HE STILL DEAD?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 11:49 AM

Well, mostly....

In addition to an extremely detailed and painstaking autopsy, samples of his DNA are being used to create a set of clones that will be used for further "nature vs. nurture" studies. One or two of the clones will be educated in each of a set of selected religions to determine if radicalism is doctrinal or interpretive. (Early betting on developing a radical Quaker 'jihadist' is quite heavy.)

Other clones will be used as test subject for psy-ops weapons and tactics.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 11:59 AM

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 12:42 PM

Quote:

Well, mostly....

Mostly? are you sure?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 12:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, mostly....

Mostly? are you sure?

Well, I've not placed my hands in the wounds....

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 12:48 PM

Ugh...

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 12:50 PM

Sorry,..., Biblical hangover from having written about the Old Testament in another thread, ... I'm better now.

I'm still liking the odds on a radical Quaker militant...

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 12:51 PM

Maybe you should start another news update thread on Iraq... Those were great.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, mostly....

Mostly? are you sure?

Well, I've not placed my hands in the wounds....

ok!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

I would think so.

Also, do you notice no one pulls out the old testament until they want to rationalize questionable behavior?

Also, do you notice that you are in a teeny tiny minority that thinks it is questionable behavior?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 02:33 PM

BTW, the poster wasn't "rationalizing" anything. Celebrating the death of a terrorist, whether it is Zarqawi or Goliath is 100% acceptable behavior.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

At the very least, they would say it's extremely tacky.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

At the very least, they would say it's extremely tacky.

why would muslims point at this or say it was tacky? muslims in iraq were also celebrating zarqawi's death. you may have seen pictures of them shooting their guns in the air in celebration. oh, i'm sorry, the dinosaur media you depend on probably censored that out of respect for the zarqawi family.

you liberals are a strange bunch. maybe you meant radical muslims could point to us as savages or "tacky". you are correct if that is what you meant. radical muslims probably would think we are uncivilized savages and tacky. i mean, who in their right mind celebrates the death of a murderous terrorist when there are deaths of babies, children, and other innocent people to celebrate.

sincerely,

i'm not ron

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

A Muslim could, but it would not be an accurate characterization or judgment. The passage quoted is a correct record of what happened. The Bible is accurate in reporting events, even events that are unseemly or wicked. The passage is not prescriptive, however. That is, it is not telling Jews, Christians (or anyone else, for that matter) to behave in like manner in similar circumstances.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

A Muslim could, but it would not be an accurate characterization or judgment. The passage quoted is a correct record of what happened. The Bible is accurate in reporting events, even events that are unseemly or wicked. The passage is not prescriptive, however. That is, it is not telling Jews, Christians (or anyone else, for that matter) to behave in like manner in similar circumstances.

Which is just as well, because America suffers from a lute gap, and as for tambourines, well, those are mainly for hippies.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 03:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

Not to mention the fact that the women's song was not true. David was a shepherd boy before killing the Philistine and had not killed tens of thousands.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 Samuel, Chapter 18:

Would this also be true of the Koran and Muslims?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:32 PM

You would have to look at the context of the passage, look at the type of writing (i.e., is it historical narrative, poetry, codification of law, a letter, prophecy), and compare it with other passages in the Koran.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:39 PM

Steve is right. For example, if you used the text where the Isrealites constructed and worshipped a golden calf as evidence that this is acceptable or required by the Bible, you'd be ignoring the fact that this is a historical record. And you'd be ignoring numerous Bible verses where the worship of idols is strictly prohibited by the biblical text where God prohibits this activity.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:44 PM

Then you would say it is impossible to cut individual verses from the Koran to demonstrate how Islam is a violent religion?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:50 PM

Quote:

Then you would say it is impossible to cut individual verses from the Koran to demonstrate how Islam is a violent religion?

No.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No.

So context is important in reading biblical verses but not koranic verses. Interesting logic anon.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No.

So context is important in reading biblical verses but not koranic verses. Interesting logic anon.

That's not what I said.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:54 PM

All you said was no to a direct question. WOuld you care to elaborate?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 04:57 PM

Quote:

Context of verse and intent of a verse is important to both the Koran and the Bible, but I can't say it is impossible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped from either book.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:09 PM

Quote:

Oh hush now, you'll spoil anon-Bugs' fun!

And to the 'not-ron-anon', it's just tacky to celebrate the death of an enemy in battle. Nothing to do with the religions involved. Not to say the death of an enemy isn't a good thing, or to deny its importance, but it's unseemly to throw a party over it. You armchair psychopaths, I mean, generals are a funny bunch.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh hush now, you'll spoil anon-Bugs' fun!

And to the 'not-ron-anon', it's just tacky to celebrate the death of an enemy in battle. Nothing to do with the religions involved. Not to say the death of an enemy isn't a good thing, or to deny its importance, but it's unseemly to throw a party over it. You armchair psychopaths, I mean, generals are a funny bunch.

ROTFLMA

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:17 PM

Quote:

TO: AML, the Emily Post of War Etiquette.

I agree, celebrating the death of an enemy soldier is wrong. However, Zarqawi was not an enemy soldier. He was a cold, calculated murderer of innocent men, women, and children. Celebrating the death of this murdering subhuman scum is wholly and entirely appropriate. It should be required to prove your patriotism. (Oh, I exaggerate.)

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Context of verse and intent of a verse is important to both the Koran and the Bible, but I can't say it is impossible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped from either book.

So to sum up, context and intent are important, but it is possible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped out of context.

Anyone besides me having trouble following this arugment?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:33 PM

I don't think the anon is following his/her own argument.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:55 PM

Quote:

Well, there are two possibilities:
1. the anon isn't following their own reasoning (or can't)
2. their disagreement is hinged on one of those intensely legalist, special circumstance, sub-clause 87 type arguments.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2. their disagreement is hinged on one of those intensely legalist, special circumstance, sub-clause 87 type arguments.

I'm guessing choice #1.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 06:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So to sum up, context and intent are important, but it is possible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped out of context.

No, I said what I meant. You did not sum it up correctly at all. Did you attend the Sweetpeas school of summation?

I said that I could not say that it is impossible. In other words, I don't know that is impossible. I never said it was possible, did I? Sorry, you're having trouble following me.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 06:35 PM

See, it was really #2 after all.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm guessing choice #1.

translation: duhhhhh

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 07:15 PM

AML: That's a queer way to look at it, as X would say. My answer to this question: "Then you would say it is impossible to cut individual verses from the Koran to demonstrate how Islam is a violent religion?" was simply no. The fact is, I don't know whether it is impossible.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 08:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, I said what I meant. You did not sum it up correctly at all. Did you attend the Sweetpeas school of summation?

I said that I could not say that it is impossible. In other words, I don't know that is impossible. I never said it was possible, did I? Sorry, you're having trouble following me.

Well, if you want to get into semantics, that would be you do not know if it is impossible or possible.

Putting aside that sublte distinction, if you admit context and intent are important, how could it be possible to cut verses out of context to demonstrate a religion's inherent violence?

Please explain how it would be possible, as cutting the verses removes the context and intent. Seems like these are opposite, no?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 08:16 PM

Maybe straw, and I'd say that it would be difficult, but I can't say absolutely for sure it is outside the realm of impossibility. Isn't it silly the things we argue here infinitum? I think it is funny how we argue on and on about what we said or didn't say, instead of just returning to the meat of the topic. See ya!

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 08:29 PM

Well I think it is silly going around and around when you cannot logically justify your point, but you continue to try to defend it.

Too bad you're running off. A few more back and forths and I think you would have had to chime in as another anon attacking me.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 08:54 PM

Quote:

Well I think it is silly going around and around when you cannot logically justify your point, but you continue to try to defend it.

I was not trying to defend my post. I was trying to explain it you because you kept asking me to explain it, but apparently you either don't understand it or have no intention to try to understand it. You're right; that is silly.

Quote:

Too bad you're running off. A few more back and forths and I think you would have had to chime in as another anon attacking me.

Unlike you, I will take the high road and not insult you as you have me.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:08 PM

Quote:

Well, if you want to get into semantics, that would be you do not know if it is impossible or possible.

If you want to get into semantics, that is not what you asked. You asked me if I thought it was impossible, not whether I thought it was possible or impossible.

Quote:

Putting aside that sublte distinction, if you admit context and intent are important, how could it be possible to cut verses out of context to demonstrate a religion's inherent violence?

Please explain how it would be possible, as cutting the verses removes the context and intent. Seems like these are opposite, no?

I never said anything about cutting verses out of context or without retaining their intent. I said that I did not know if it were impossible to prove a religion violent by cutting a verse or several verses. Did you ever consider that the entire context and intent could be contained in the verse or verses? I don't know if it is impossible (or possible) because I have never read the Koran. However, if it were possible, I'd assume it would be because the entire intent and context was contained within the verse or verses.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, celebrating the death of an enemy soldier is wrong. However, Zarqawi was not an enemy soldier. He was a cold, calculated murderer of innocent men, women, and children. Celebrating the death of this murdering subhuman scum is wholly and entirely appropriate. It should be required to prove your patriotism. (Oh, I exaggerate.)

point, game, match

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

point, game, match

Perhaps in your mind.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

point, game, match

Perhaps in your mind.

In all but about 2 or 3 minds in the cooler. Wanna put it to a poll?

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:18 PM

A poll to prove what? How immature the entire situation has become? How there are a lot of people in here who under the cloak of anonymity are taking the opportunity to be extra vicious? I'll pass.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:19 PM

By arguing you cannot determine if it is impossible, means it might be possible does it not?

Can you please show a verse where the entire context and intent are contained within it?

Then I can point a biblical verse that does the same and watch you explain how condemning Christianity based on one verse is impossible, but how Islam's entire thrust is summed up by one Koranic verse.

Isn't this is really about making generalization about something we do not have knowledge of?

Generalizations are dangerous and usually quite off the mark.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:22 PM

Quote:

How immature the entire situation has become?
Quote:

Not including you, right?

Quote:

How there are a lot of people in here who under the cloak of anonymity are taking the opportunity to be extra vicious? I'll pass.

No one has been vicious.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:29 PM

Quote:

By arguing you cannot determine if it is impossible, means it might be possible does it not?

Can you please show a verse where the entire context and intent are contained within it?

Then I can point a biblical verse that does the same and watch you explain how condemning Christianity based on one verse is impossible, but how Islam's entire thrust is summed up by one Koranic verse.

Isn't this is really about making generalization about something we do not have knowledge of?

Generalizations are dangerous and usually quite off the mark.

You presume too much and are reading way too much between the lines. You act like I said that I could prove through the Koran that Islam is a violent religion. I said no such thing. I never even made the claim that Islam was a violent religion. All I said was that I was not saying it was impossible.

Unsupportable presumptions are probably just as dangerous as generalizations and usually quite off the mark.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:31 PM

Well I thought you were the anon who was cutting Koran verses and arguing that the verses show that Islam is inherently violent.

I was having the discussion with the wrong anon. Sorry. That is where my presumptions came from.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:41 PM

Quote:

Well I thought you were the anon who was cutting Koran verses and arguing that the verses show that Islam is inherently violent.

I was having the discussion with the wrong anon. Sorry. That is where my presumptions came from.

No problem. I must have jumped into the middle of a conversation.

Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news! - 06/15/06 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How immature the entire situation has become?
Quote:

Not including you, right?

Quote:

How there are a lot of people in here who under the cloak of anonymity are taking the opportunity to be extra vicious? I'll pass.

No one has been vicious.

I meant no one has been vicious today.