Are you an "expert"?

Posted By: mariposa

Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:40 PM

After reading that XODUS is a snake expert in the Snake thread, I am wondering what areas others are "experts" in. . . ? ? ? (Keep it clean!) Work and compliance issues aside, of course! Topics about which you know more than most people and perhaps more than you'd care to admit! I would say a few of mine are dogs and dog shows (was raised in a dog showing family) and wildlife art. . .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:41 PM

I am an expert sleeper.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:41 PM

I am an expert at writing poison pen complaint letters.

I am also an excellent cook. (If I may say so myself)
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:45 PM

I'm not much of an expert at anything, I am more of a renaissance man, good at many things, an expert in none.
Posted By: angels2mom

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:46 PM

I'm an expert in "driving my family crazy"!!
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:47 PM

I won't say I'm expert, because I haven't done it in over 35 years......and haven't been on one in over 20 years....but I use to break horses.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:50 PM

How did you glue them back together, Dan?
Posted By: pjs

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:53 PM

lol, DQ!

I'm an expert at killing spiders and sweeping the pool.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:54 PM

Quote:

How did you glue them back together, Dan?

Ohhhhhhh.....so your expertise is being a smarta$$......

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:55 PM

LOL the way things are going, I'll soon be an expert in cleaning hardwood floors! Who'd have thought it was less work to keep carpets clean!
Posted By: CubDave

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 01:55 PM

Thanks for the depressing post topic Mariposa - I have suddenly come to realize that, after self-examination, I am an expert in nothing. I guess I could include auto lending, titling and collection practices in Illinois, but that's depressing. Changing two diapers at the same time, but that can be disgusting. I gotta go enroll in some sort of class now

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the depressing post topic Mariposa - I have suddenly come to realize that, after self-examination, I am an expert in nothing. I guess I could include auto lending, titling and collection practices in Illinois, but that's depressing. Changing two diapers at the same time, but that can be disgusting. I gotta go enroll in some sort of class now

Oh my goodness! I am sure there is something out there that you are an expert in. Cheer up, after all it's Friday!

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:07 PM

Cubdave- aren't you an expert in throwing olives???

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:08 PM

Quote:

Cubdave- aren't you an expert in throwing olives???

That depends, does he have a slider a curveball, and a changeup? Or just his fastball?
Posted By: Beige

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:13 PM

Jack of all master of none! Love painting, home fix-up stuff. I've done some plumbing, drywall, cabinetry, tiling. Love gardening...expert at any? Not really. This way, I never have to sound like a know it all!
Posted By: MadisonCali

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:16 PM

Horse racing.
I could tell you about any bloodline, trainer, jockey, etc for the last 50 years.
But does that mean I ever win any money? Absolutely not
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:19 PM

I'm an expert in my own mind at many things, but in reality, I won't say I am an expert at anything.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:22 PM

Quote:

...I am wondering what areas others are "experts" in. . . ? ? ? (Keep it clean!)...

Keep it clean? Well that eliminates anything I would have said
Posted By: Roger That

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:22 PM

Expert in dark, dark beer.
Expanding into sh-gars.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:45 PM

I'm an expert cat petter. And dog petter. Maybe that makes me an expert pet petter.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:46 PM

Quote:

I'm an expert cat petter. And dog petter. Maybe that makes me an expert pet petter.

Ahhh, but have you learned to pet a shark yet? For some reason that is the new draw at the Newport Aquarium.
Posted By: Mrs. Rizzo

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 02:49 PM

I think I've mastered the art of having bad relationships...wonder how I got blessed with such a talent?
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:01 PM

BF, a friend almost had his hand bit by a shark on one of our fishing trips. He brought the little guy in (about 2-3 feet long) and while he was getting his pliers to remove the hook, the shark snapped at him and bit the pliers right at the handle, just inches from Joel's fingers! Yikes! I ain't gonna try to pet that!

I will qualify my previous post: I am an expert small furry creature petter.
Posted By: RandomName

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:03 PM

I am demi-knowledgeable in several historical periods (not the boring ones), mediocre in Ultimate Frisbee, and highly skilled in a variety of board games and...well...Dungeons & Dragons. (Note: I do NOT live in my parents' basement.)
Posted By: Roger That

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:08 PM

I am well-versed in a variety of subjects and facts that will, in no way, help me in my life or career.
Posted By: Ops

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:10 PM

Thus far, my record is flawless.. I'm 2-0 at killing possums with a broom handle.

Don't feel bad, Random.. I'm not too shabby at M:TG.
Posted By: steven1950

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:14 PM

I'm an expert at sitting on my a$$ in front of the TV.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:14 PM

Quote:

NOT CARDBOARD CRACK!?!?!

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NOT CARDBOARD CRACK!?!?!

Only a recreational user.. not an addict. If I were, I'd hand you the gun!

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NOT CARDBOARD CRACK!?!?!

When that game came out, I was totally into it. Spent a TON of money on it. Recently sold all the cards when I moved.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NOT CARDBOARD CRACK!?!?!

When that game came out, I was totally into it. Spent a TON of money on it. Recently sold all the cards when I moved.

Only learned about 8 months ago. Picked up quickly, though. With husband came cards, so I haven't spent a dime.. only for his birthday when I bought a box and a half of the next to last set. Not much playing goes on around here.. just a few people we know. Friday nite tourneys are at least a 2 hour drive.

If you were in it when it came out, you probably had some serious stuff, huh?

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NOT CARDBOARD CRACK!?!?!

Only learned about 8 months ago. Picked up quickly, though. With husband came cards, so I haven't spent a dime.. only for his birthday when I bought a box and a half of the next to last set. Not much playing goes on around here.. just a few people we know. Friday nite tourneys are at least a 2 hour drive.

Unfortunatly back before it got really popular, someone broke into my car and dumped all the cards that are worth huge amounts of money into a sewer thinking they were worthless. They thought they were getting baseball cards or something.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NOT CARDBOARD CRACK!?!?!

Unfortunatly back before it got really popular, someone broke into my car and dumped all the cards that are worth huge amounts of money into a sewer thinking they were worthless. They thought they were getting baseball cards or something.

Probably makes you sick now. My brother let an absurd amount of cards mildew in a leaky trunk. So look on the bright side.. it wasn't your *own* stupidity. Some guys have all the luck.
Posted By: XODUS

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 03:57 PM

Quote:

I am demi-knowledgeable in several historical periods (not the boring ones), mediocre in Ultimate Frisbee, and highly skilled in a variety of board games and...well...Dungeons & Dragons. (Note: I do NOT live in my parents' basement.)

What board games? My favorites currently are Power Grid, Settlers of catan, and Caylus. Do you play D&D 3.5 or old school?

I too am an expert gamer to go along with my snake expertise. Working on being an expert Disc golfer, fossil hunter, carnivorous plant breeder, and painter.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:02 PM

M:TG is bad, bad stuff. I have bought in and sold out 3 times. I first started playing back in the mid 90's. I thought the game was going to away after Fallen Empires so I sold out. Since then in and out 2 more times and it looks like I am getting back in with the new set in October.

Combine that with War Machine, Hordes, and my board games and it is ludicrous.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What board games? My favorites currently are Power Grid, Settlers of catan, and Caylus. Do you play D&D 3.5 or old school?

I too am an expert gamer to go along with my snake expertise. Working on being an expert Disc golfer, fossil hunter, carnivorous plant breeder, and painter.

Ahhh, mentioning board games -- I am an expert Monopoly player -- NEVER lost a game. I'm also quite good at Backgammon. So, I'll challenge any of the ladies to a game of strip Monopoly or strip Backgammon. Nude twister is also fun with the right people -- don't need to be good at it, the fun isn't in the winning, it's in the playing

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:06 PM

Ahhh, mentioning board games -- I am an expert Monopoly player -- NEVER lost a game. I'm also quite good at Backgammon. So, I'll challenge any of the ladies to a game of strip Monopoly or strip Backgammon. Nude twister is also fun with the right people -- don't need to be good at it, the fun isn't in the winning, it's in the playing

LOVE Backgammon (although I've never played nekkid ). Do you play Acey/Deucey or straight?

Suzy
Posted By: moonpie

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:07 PM

My expertise is in quilting. Have owned my own quilt/fabric shop, marketed my own line of patterns, judged quilts at the Missouri State Fair, and have won many awards for my work. It is my passion!

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Haven't played Cataan in quite awhile. Only played Power Grid once, and honestly I wasn't that impressed. Fairly recently I've done a lot of Tikal and Puerto Rico and Ticket To Ride and Carcassonne.

I'm in one 3.5 campaign and one waaay old-school game (pre-AD&D).

My disk golf game is WEAK. I mean, I've literally thrown the disk BEHIND me. On numerous occasions. Great game, though.

I had to bail outta Magic 'cuz I just couldn't hang with the big dogs no more, the ones that spent hours on end on deck construction. Plus the rules these days are just insanely complicated. My brain overloaded about five years ago when they introduced shadow walking.

My addiction was EQ, but I had to get out of that as well.
Posted By: gone

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:15 PM

Quote:

I'm currently addicted to WoW. It's the first PC game I've played, (my husband has played many) and it is very addicting. I went out and bought all the novels and really enjoyed them.

I however, am not an expert ant anything. Oh well.
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:16 PM

I don't know if I would call myself an expert, but I'm really good at Euchre and counted cross stitch.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm currently addicted to WoW. It's the first PC game I've played, (my husband has played many) and it is very addicting. I went out and bought all the novels and really enjoyed them.

I however, am not an expert ant anything. Oh well.

Oh my, not the MMORPG! These things are all designed to make you fat, lazy, and unable to go outside in direct light I tell you

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Haven't played Cataan in quite awhile. Only played Power Grid once, and honestly I wasn't that impressed. Fairly recently I've done a lot of Tikal and Puerto Rico and Ticket To Ride and Carcassonne.

I'm in one 3.5 campaign and one waaay old-school game (pre-AD&D).

My disk golf game is WEAK. I mean, I've literally thrown the disk BEHIND me. On numerous occasions. Great game, though.

I had to bail outta Magic 'cuz I just couldn't hang with the big dogs no more, the ones that spent hours on end on deck construction. Plus the rules these days are just insanely complicated. My brain overloaded about five years ago when they introduced shadow walking.

I play Puerto Rico and Carcasoone also. I played Tigris and Euphrates for the first time the other day. I also like Princes of the Renaissance. I play Rail Baron as my rail road game. Do you go to boardgamegeek.com? Some other games I like are Alhambra and Modern Art is OK.

I played Mesopotamia and was not impressed.
Posted By: gone

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:24 PM

LOL.
Well I'm not fat, and daylight still graces my skin, so I guess I have not reach addiction status yet.
Now that our toons are 60's we've cut our playing time down to scheduled raids. (When does that expansion come out again? )

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:28 PM

Quote:

LOVE Backgammon (although I've never played nekkid ). Do you play Acey/Deucey or straight?

Suzy

Straight. Any game in which I might take my clothes off I play straight

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:30 PM

Quote:

I'll bet that I can beat you at Backgammon! Nude or not!
Suzy

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Suzy

Ah, sounds like a challenge! Set the time and the place and I'll play you.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:39 PM

Oh, man, boardgamegeek.com is the best. It proved very helpful when I needed to look up reviews and errata and house rules for Formule De and Betrayal At House On The Hill. Next time I go to some convention, I sure wish I had some wireless doohickey so I could immediately look up a game's rating when I'm thinking about buying it. At $50 a pop, you hate to guess wrong and come up with something crummy.

I forgot another old classic, though I haven't played it in some time: Talisman.
Posted By: Erl of Baltimore

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:44 PM

I am an admitted expert in shooting things: guns, dice, crap...especially dice and crap.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:48 PM

i have a list of the top 100 so I always know what I am buying. Between my group we own 6 of the top 10 and have many others that are not as highly rated. We have a con coming next month.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Suzy

Maria, have you ever played Jellyfish backgammon on your computer? If so, then I'd love to hear your opinion on the "fairness" of the dice rolls.

If anyone likes backgammon, download the free Jellyfish backgammon game and configure it to play against you. I've am convinced that my computer opponent gets better dice rolls.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:02 PM

Quote:

M:TG is bad, bad stuff. I have bought in and sold out 3 times. I first started playing back in the mid 90's. I thought the game was going to away after Fallen Empires so I sold out. Since then in and out 2 more times and it looks like I am getting back in with the new set in October.

Combine that with War Machine, Hordes, and my board games and it is ludicrous.

Well stop that! Don't think it's going anywhere soon.

I think stinking Yu-Gi-Oh is going to take over the world. *rolls her eyes*

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:03 PM

Quote:

Oh, man, boardgamegeek.com is the best. It proved very helpful when I needed to look up reviews and errata and house rules for Formule De and Betrayal At House On The Hill. Next time I go to some convention, I sure wish I had some wireless doohickey so I could immediately look up a game's rating when I'm thinking about buying it. At $50 a pop, you hate to guess wrong and come up with something crummy.

I forgot another old classic, though I haven't played it in some time: Talisman.

Talisman? Oh my goodness, haven't heard that one in a long time! (With or without all the expansions?)
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:07 PM

Man it turned geeky in here really fast.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:07 PM

Steven, I will have to try that, do you have a link? Please.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:09 PM

Quote:

From my experience seems those who can throw a deck together in no time and just tweak it as they go seem to build the best decks.
Don't think the rules are so bad, but then again.. I didn't play "back in the day."

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Suzy

Maria, have you ever played Jellyfish backgammon on your computer? If so, then I'd love to hear your opinion on the "fairness" of the dice rolls.

If anyone likes backgammon, download the free Jellyfish backgammon game and configure it to play against you. I've am convinced that my computer opponent gets better dice rolls.

Should be a simple matter of recording the dice rolls. Over time, those of each player should have an even distribution.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:20 PM

Quote:

Steven, I will have to try that, do you have a link? Please.

Here's the link: http://www.jellyfish-backgammon.com/

Download the Jellyfish 3.5 light game. PM or call me if you have any questions.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:22 PM

Will it show on my internet report (that I review) as a downloaded game?

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Suzy

Should be a simple matter of recording the dice rolls. Over time, those of each player should have an even distribution.

Normally, I would agree with you; however, since I only play the game against my PC opponent (over ten thousand games) I know, for a fact, that the rolls are not evenly distributed. I spoke with the US representative for the game, Mr. Beatie, and he said the rolls were totally random. He lied!!!

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:27 PM

Quote:

Will it show on my internet report (that I review) as a downloaded game?

Sorry, Maria, I don't know. It's a very small download, and it will be listed in your list of programs on your PC. Maybe someone else might be able to answer your question.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:30 PM

Thanks S1950.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:32 PM

I am an expert in FISH!

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 05:52 PM

I wish I was an expert in something useful, like understanding my wife! Unfortunately I am relegated to being an expert in:
-Analyzing Fantasy Baseball stats. I never lose and now I have to play online under an assumed name (my friend's) to get people to play with me.
-Memorizing useless facts. I don't know the names of the last five clients I met but I still know my high school locker combination.
-Counting cards in Hearts. If only I counted so well when the game was for money!
-Making Mac and Cheese from the box. Haven't needed the directions in years.
-Identifying attractive ladies, and Mariposa qualifies. The picture brightened an already enjoyable Friday morning. Thanks!
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 06:26 PM

Quote:

LOL the way things are going, I'll soon be an expert in cleaning hardwood floors! Who'd have thought it was less work to keep carpets clean!

Actually Michael, I discovered that wood floors just show all the stuff that was hiding in the carpet. Once I realized that, I was glad I got rid of most of my carpet and bought a Dyson for the rest of it.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually Michael, I discovered that wood floors just show all the stuff that was hiding in the carpet. Once I realized that, I was glad I got rid of most of my carpet and bought a Dyson for the rest of it.

Yup, they sure do! My cats are about to be homeless if they don't learn to keep every last piece of litter in the box too!
Posted By: Paul Franklin

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/16/06 06:55 PM

I like to think I am an expert at cribbage, and the same goes for the original pc version of Ghost Recon. My wife would say I am an expert at driving her crazy :-)

I used to do Magic, but fortunately I had friends with $1000's invested in cards that I could sponge off of.
Posted By: mariposa

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/17/06 03:50 AM

Quote:

-Identifying attractive ladies, and Mariposa qualifies. The picture brightened an already enjoyable Friday morning. Thanks!

AWWWW!!! And YOU brightened my Friday Evening! Thank you!!!!
Posted By: slick

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/17/06 02:28 PM

i am an expert at air hockey. i have played over 200 games, against men usually, and i have never lost yet. maybe i shouldn't say expert.....just the master!
also art. i have always been good at writing, and drawng, and painting....but i am really getting good at the knowledge, and history of it.
i am working on photography. i am great at taking pics, but i want to know more about art of it.

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/18/06 05:24 AM

Quote:

Talisman? Oh my goodness, haven't heard that one in a long time! (With or without all the expansions?)

The last two or three expansions were lame--I'm thinking about the City and the Dragon Tower. The extradimensional place was too powerful. Dungeon expansion was pretty cool, though.

'Course, you don't even try to play Talisman unless you have about five hours to kill.
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Are you an "expert"? - 06/19/06 01:11 PM

I guess I could say I'm an expert at photography. Slick if you have any questions PM me. Photography takes many years to master.