? for you Texans

Posted By: gillysgrl

? for you Texans - 07/05/06 02:51 PM

I went to a wedding last weekend in Texas. On the LONG drive home my husband and I were caught a little off guard when we would pull up behind someone driving slower on the highway, they would drive in the shoulder to allow us to pass. This happened several times and I was just wondering if this is a Texas thing, or maybe just the area we were in. It was actually pretty convenient, since most of the 2 lane highway was marked as a no passing zone. Anyone else ever experienced this??
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 02:54 PM

We run accross this all the time in Wisconsin and Florida. Usually, the driver is a little older, is in no rush to get where they are going, and wants to enjoy a little drive.

My elderly in-laws used to look forward to "going for a drive" each weekend, just to get out of the house and enjoy the scenery.
Posted By: Okie Dokie

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:01 PM

It happens quite a bit in Oklahoma too.
Posted By: RBanker

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:02 PM

That's not uncommon here - since Texas is such a huge state and you might do some long trips here - it's a common courtesy, when there is a paved shoulder to move to the right to allow other vehicles to pass.

It's easy to tell the Texas Transplants - they won't get over. Just a way to make each other's life a little easier.

The other part of this is, when you pass the slower motorist, give an acknowledgement of their kindness - a wave, a flash of the hazard lights, etc.

Hope you enjoyed your visit here!
Posted By: Search_Me

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:03 PM

I'm from Texas and this always happens. I think it's our way of being respectful to the driver behind us. The majority use the shoulder lane as long as they are clear so the cars behind can get around and not pile up because like ya mentioned we've a lot of 2 lane highways.

Now what is stupid to me... is those that use the shoulder lane to pass.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:03 PM

i believe in chicago they use bunp drafting to get you out of the way

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:08 PM

unbelievable! texas actually has something going for it now.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:08 PM

I see it in Northern NH alot on the 2 lane "highways"
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:31 PM

Yeah, we do that a lot around here. The vehicle passing usually says thanks by flashing their hazards once they have passed the vehicle.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:37 PM

This thread may lead me to re-think my driving habits.

I thought speeding up and slowing down to tick off the driver tailgating you was the norm.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/05/06 03:39 PM

Quote:

Usually, the driver is a little older, is in no rush to get where they are going, and wants to enjoy a little drive.

Or just tired of tailgaters. I pull to the right just to get them off my a$$. I'm not doing it to be nice, but I'll take the credit.
Posted By: stoked

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/06/06 06:56 AM

Why don't Texans extend that courtesy when they travel out of state? They are the worst for sightseeing and driving during "rush hour" here and always in the left lane.
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/06/06 07:19 PM

My daughter lives in Abilene and she was pretty surprised and happy that they do pull over out there.
Posted By: Carly Girl

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 02:46 PM

Quote:

Why don't Texans extend that courtesy when they travel out of state? They are the worst for sightseeing and driving during "rush hour" here and always in the left lane.

Tell me what state you are in "Stoked" and I will definitely make sure that when I visit I will drive in the left hand lane directly in front of you.

Not all "worst" drivers are from the great state of Texas! Maybe you should slow down a little and enjoy life a little more and not be in such a hurry to get to where you are going.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 03:11 PM

My experience is that the worse drivers are in Florida, but maybe it's just all those 5 ft. tall 80 year olds struggling to see over the steering wheels of their big old white Cadillacs.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 03:21 PM

Yep.. Floridiots seem to be the worst. After Orlando, my nerves were shot. (And I can drive in Atlanta like a pro!) They should just rip I-4 out.. make life a little more miserable for the tourists in Florida that's why its' so bad... Floridians are sick of tourists.
Posted By: RandomName

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 04:07 PM

I found the drivers in Boston to be semi-crazed and apt to go careening from lane to lane on quasi-random whims.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 05:23 PM

Quote:

Floridians are sick of tourists.

That's like saying New Yorkers are sick of tall buildings -- then move.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 05:24 PM

I did.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 05:35 PM

If Florida didn't have tourists, what industry would support the state? Orange juice? Not enough, and it gets hurt more as each hurricane season wipes out more orchards. Fishing? Not with the price of gas and that the fishermen must go miles further out each year to catch anything. Boating, swimming and diving? Nope, need tourists for that. Theme parks? Oh yeah, no tourists. Restaurants, shopping, no, no, NO TOURISTS.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 05:37 PM

Beeeeeeeeef!

I remember sitting between rows strawberries as a kid eating more than I was picking. Ruined a lot of clothes doing that.
Posted By: Carly Girl

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 05:39 PM

too funny Nanwa! What was that ladies name that did the OJ commercials back in the 70's? Its right on the tip of my tongue...

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 05:44 PM

Beef? You gotta be kidding! Those scrawny animals? They can't put on any weight in that heat!

And Plant City strawberries are highly overratted. Unless, of course, you pick your own. Then they let them get ripe enough to get sweet. But the stuff they package for the grocery stores are unripe and sour.
Posted By: renniks

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 06:57 PM

Quote:

too funny Nanwa! What was that ladies name that did the OJ commercials back in the 70's? Its right on the tip of my tongue...

It was Anita Bryant!!!!
Posted By: Ops

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 07:45 PM

Quote:

Beef? You gotta be kidding! Those scrawny animals? They can't put on any weight in that heat!

And Plant City strawberries are highly overratted. Unless, of course, you pick your own. Then they let them get ripe enough to get sweet. But the stuff they package for the grocery stores are unripe and sour.

That's why the beef is so LEAN in Florida. Lean is a *good* thing.
And when they open the strawberry fields is the only time to go. Pick waaay too many and freeze them. They make the best freezer jam.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 07:49 PM

Strawberry pie, shortcake, over ice cream, just to eat! Strawberry season is coming to a close here in Wisconsin, but you know what that means? Cherry season! Cherry pie, cherry bounce, cherry coke salad....

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 07:51 PM

Cherry Bounce? Cherry Coke Salad? Apparently we don't have those in the south... what are they?

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 08:07 PM

Cherry Bounce - You get your industrial size empty mayonaise jar, fill it with pie cherries (do not pit them.) Add one cup of sugar, one bottle of brandy, vodka or whiskey (I use brandy; this IS Wisconsin we're talkin' about here). Fill the remainder of the jar with water. Shake to mix. Let sit until Christmas. You get the smoothest cherry cordial; all the alcohol bite goes into the cherries. You can eat the cherries too. Always a nice ice breaker at the Christmas party!

Cherry Coke salad - Pit two cups cherries. Chop 1/2 cup celery and 1/2 cup pecans. Open a small can of crushed pineapple. Make two 3 ounce packages of cherry jello, but instead of all water listed on the package, replace as much of the water with any cherry juice you have from the cherries, pineapple juice from the pineapples and a can of Coca Cola. Make the jello with the water and juice, then after dissolved, add the Coke. While the jello is still hot, add 3 ounces of cream cheese. Let the jello cool and start to thicken. Add cherries, pineapple, celery and nuts. Chill til firm.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 08:10 PM

Oh, yum.. They both sound good, but that Cherry Coke salad sounds good.. although I'm not so sure about the celery.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 08:16 PM

I think that is the only reason they called it a "salad". If you slice it really fine, it just adds crunch, not a lot of flavor.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 08:21 PM

Okay! Thanks for the recipe!
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 09:23 PM

You're right, FL sux.

Please, everyone (especially tourists) leave and don't come back.

I would gladly pay a state income tax not to have to deal with idiot drivers from every other state who come here but leave their brains and driving skills back home in ______ (pick one: NJ, OH, WI, IN, NY, PA, etc.).

But, I have heard that FL has more cattle than any other state. Not sure if that is true or not.
Posted By: RBanker

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/07/06 09:40 PM

Quote:

But, I have heard that FL has more cattle than any other state. Not sure if that is true or not.

What? Where did those numbers come from? Fox News?

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 12:29 PM

MB, why would Florida need an income tax? They already have a ridiculously high real estate tax, then there's your impact fees, all your permit costs (you need a permit for EVERYTHING in Florida), etc., etc. What really irks me is, last year, they had so much money, they couldn't find enough ways to spend it, yet this year, real estate assessments got raised again. Geez!

They should have used some of the money to help the hurricane victims, their own citizens, but no, they say that is for FEMA.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 12:40 PM

Quote:

Why don't Texans extend that courtesy when they travel out of state

Have to agree with stoked on this one, more often then not, when someone is hogging the left lane in south La., their plates will be Texas. Now, since I drive a considerable bit each day on the commute in, I've done my own informal study. The worst drivers, far and away, drive Plymouth Neons. Second is Mitsubishi Galant drivers. 3rd is anyone in a big pickup. They actually think they own the road (when everyone here knows I do). Night driving...anyone driving with fog lights on, when not foggy, should be shot.
Posted By: Skyline

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 01:00 PM

Whenever I travel out of state and have to rent a car, the majority of times I receive a car and the license plates are from a different state....just a thought.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 01:39 PM

Quote:

MB, why would Florida need an income tax? They already have a ridiculously high real estate tax, then there's your impact fees, all your permit costs (you need a permit for EVERYTHING in Florida), etc., etc. What really irks me is, last year, they had so much money, they couldn't find enough ways to spend it, yet this year, real estate assessments got raised again. Geez!

They should have used some of the money to help the hurricane victims, their own citizens, but no, they say that is for FEMA.

A. The RE taxes are minimal here, very reasonable. My old house was appraised at $470k and my RE taxes were $3600. That doesn't seem bad to me compared to where my friend lived in PA where their old house was valued at $180k and RE taxes were $6k. Are you kidding me?

B. Now, you definitely have a point on impact fees for some counties. Lee County (Ft. Myers et al) IFs are not that bad, but Collier County (Naples, Bonita Springs, etc.) impact fees were just raised to an obnoxious $32,000 for a 2000+/- sq ft house. NOW THAT IS PATHETIC.

C. And Collier is also stupid about permits and such, definitely agree with that.

But, as bad as those couple things are, I can't see moving away from paradise unless it's to another quiet little beach town along the coast....

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 05:46 PM

MB, I wish I lived where you do. Our house in Charlotte County is priced and taxed like your friend in PA. And, the assessed value just went up another 37% this year. We made no improvements; just an old 1950s cinder block house.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 08:27 PM

Nanwa, just get ready for the coming insurance premium increases, I hear they are going up close to 100%.

Ugh.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 08:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm certain Florida at least *used* to be the biggest cattle state in the country.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/12/06 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm certain Florida at least *used* to be the biggest cattle state in the country.

Sorry, did a check this morning on the USDA website and FL does not have the most cattle. Must have been an old statistic, unless they were counting old people as cattle, lolol, jk.
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/13/06 01:27 AM

Quote:

My experience is that the worse drivers are in Florida, but maybe it's just all those 5 ft. tall 80 year olds struggling to see over the steering wheels of their big old white Cadillacs.

okay seriously i ditto this i can't stand the way they drive in florida!!!!!! and yes when your driving in texas usually on an interstate you use the left lane as a passing lane some highways are even marked "Left lane only for passing" and i hate it when i'm trying to drive and people don't know this tid bit of info

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/14/06 03:32 PM

Quote:

Nanwa, just get ready for the coming insurance premium increases, I hear they are going up close to 100%.

Ugh.

Again? This is getting ridiculous.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/14/06 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, did a check this morning on the USDA website and FL does not have the most cattle. Must have been an old statistic, unless they were counting old people as cattle, lolol, jk.

That's why I said "used".. When my dad was a teen (60s-70s) it was waaay up there in cattle. And that was before they tore up all the orange groves to build subdivisions. The town I grew up in (Auburndale) was a train/cattle town.

Re: ? for you Texans - 07/14/06 07:46 PM

We have a place in Grove City, which used to be lemon groves, but the trees died after three hard years of hurricanes in the 20s, I believe. I have the only lemon tree on the block, which is good, cause most people don't need that many lemons. But they come in handy for trade; I trade with the neighbors for mangos and tangerines.