Left- or right- handed?

Posted By: A_G

Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 02:54 PM

I got the idea to start this from Suzy in the Born in the USA thread...

I'm left handed but I cut with my right hand. There were never any left handed scissors in preschool so I was forced to learn to cut like a right-handed person. I pretty much do everything else left handed, except for bat in baseball. I think it's weird considering I'm a lefty in the field...
Posted By: Miscuit

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 02:57 PM

RIGHT! "handed"...that is.
Posted By: someone else

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 02:59 PM

I write with my right hand, but hit a baseball and kick a soccer ball with both my left and right sides. I figure the reason for this is that I am not very athletically inclined, therefore I had no predominant side to begin with. I was taught how to play baseball by a lefty, and soccer by a man who is ambidextrous.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:06 PM

Totally right handed, although by my handwriting people thing I'm a lefty. I sometimes even make my checkmarks backwards. I do have a left-handed brother and nephew, though.
Posted By: Ric30

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:09 PM

I'm almost exclusively left-handed. The only thing that I can think of that I can do with my right hand is deal cards and use the 10-key.
Posted By: DEL

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:10 PM

I eat and write with my left hand. I do most sports with my right hand, although I'm not bad with my left hand, either. Like Audit Guy, I cut right-handed because there weren't any left-handed scissors available when I was learning, and I think that has alot to do with my right-handedness at sports, too (I remember tennis lessons - "Do it like this. Oh, and you leftys, just try to do the opposite." It was easier to just use my right hand.) For most general tasks, I tend to use whatever hand is handiest. I swear I have right-handed days and left-handed days.

Not surprisingly, I have a really hard time telling left from right. I'm terrible at giving directions for that reason!
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:10 PM

Write, eat, and most other things left handed, but most sports-type activities are done with my right hand.

No idea why I am like this, lol, but it has worked out so far!
Posted By: luvmydog

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:12 PM

Left-handed: eat, write, play racquet sports, iron clothes

Right-handed: everything else
Posted By: Clown Boy

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:13 PM

I'm left handed... I don't really do anything with my right hand...

Quote:

I do have a left-handed brother and nephew, though.

Yeah - in my family it appears as if genetics plays a large role. My father and paternal grandmother are both left handed too.
Posted By: cheekEE

I am right handed but can shoot pool with either hand.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:16 PM

I write right-handed, but the important things I can do equally well with both hands

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I do have a left-handed brother and nephew, though.

Yeah - in my family it appears as if genetics plays a large role. My father and paternal grandmother are both left handed too.

Same here... my dad, brother, uncle, and most of my male cousins are all left handed
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:18 PM

rightie, here.
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:20 PM

I'm right-handed, but I can do pretty much anything with my left hand except writing.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:20 PM

I also have 2 left handed cousins and they're both male. So far only left handed males in the family. My younger brother (the lefty) is having a second daughter on the 1st of September - we'll just have to wait and see. His older daughter was born with a birth injury to her left arm and still can't use it correctly. That may play a HUGE role in her.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:33 PM

I'm left handed, but I bat and throw novelty flying discs with my right hand. My dad taught me to hit, and he was right-handed.
Posted By: Carly Girl

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:38 PM

I use the left hand for steering and the right hand for banging on the steering wheel!
Posted By: Countess Kiwi

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:42 PM

Right handed. My Dad was left handed and my brother, his wife and oldest daughter are left handed...but the youngest is right handed. I guess she wanted to be a rebel at a young age.
Posted By: MadisonCali

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:49 PM

I write and eat left handed, but I play almost all sports right handed. I also use a scissors right handed because I didn't want to use those dorky rounded scissors that lefties got stuck with (what's up with that, anyways?).

I can do racket sports (tennis, ping pong, etc) with either hand.

I read somewhere that left handed people die an average of 7 years sooner because it's such a 'right handed world'.
Wonder if that's true...

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:49 PM

SH,

I am pretty much like sweatpeas. My mom claims that when I was developing she knew I was growing up left handed so she started putting everything in my right hand.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:54 PM

only right handed of 4 kids...

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 03:59 PM

Quote:

I read somewhere that left handed people die an average of 7 years sooner because it's such a 'right handed world'.
Wonder if that's true...

Well I can say it's true that it is a right handed world (I know that's not what you were wondering was true though )

I hate those credit card machines in stores with the electronic pen on the right handed side. Half the time I can't even sign my name because the cord gets in the way. And I can't use those "liquid paper" white out sticks left handed - the stuff gets all bumpy and off track.
Posted By: low profile

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:00 PM

I do everything right handed except brush my teeth, shave, and comb my hair. That's right, the things you do in front of a mirror.......the fact that the reflection appears to be doing these things right handed is my only explanation.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:08 PM

I'm right handed but goofy-footed when it comes to snow and skateboarding and surfing

Oh, and I paint the fingernails on my right hand with my left!

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:10 PM

Quote:

And I can't use those "liquid paper" white out sticks left handed - the stuff gets all bumpy and off track.

um, have you tried correcting from right to left then?

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And I can't use those "liquid paper" white out sticks left handed - the stuff gets all bumpy and off track.

um, have you tried correcting from right to left then?

Of course! LOL - and it still doesn't work as well...

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:21 PM

Quote:

I'm right handed but goofy-footed when it comes to snow and skateboarding and surfing

Well if you could paint the fingernails on your right hand with your right hand, I'd like to see it.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:23 PM

I'm left handed- thanks to my grandpa. I was the only one in my family of 3 sisters and one brother.
My son and daughter are both left handed which I think is cool- they are keeping the line alive!

They both bowl right handed tho; me too, but I bowl like well not well at all. My daughter bats left handed but pitches and throws right handed.

Now I'm keeping an eye on my grandson cuz I think he will be a lefty too!

patrice!
Posted By: AngelinaLM

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:31 PM

Quote:

Isnt goofy footed, starting off with your right foot?

I write right handed, everything else left handed, except when I fire a weapon. Right handed for a M16 and left for a handgun, not sure how I figured that out.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:37 PM

""Isnt goofy footed, starting off with your right foot? ""

yes, but that is typically how lefties do it, because you are steering with your left foot...at least thats how it works for me
Posted By: AngelinaLM

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:50 PM

Gotcha
Posted By: slubgob

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 04:50 PM

Right handed.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 05:15 PM

Quote:

Right handed for a M16 and left for a handgun, not sure how I figured that out.

That's interesting, I shoot my SKS and my hand guns both left handed...
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:17 PM

My Dad's nickname was Lefty. I guess it was more macho than his real name - Floryan. Anyway, he could write with both hands because the nuns at his Catholic school beat him when he wrote with his left. They told him writing left handed was the work of the devil. (DQ, are you a lefty?) So he wrote right handed until he got out of school, then went back to left handed.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:24 PM

Quote:

except when I fire a weapon. Right handed for a M16 and left for a handgun, not sure how I figured that out.

i believe that is due to "dominant eye". i rifle left-handed and pistol right handed.
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:28 PM

I write left handed, play Ice Hockey right handed, yet I golf left handed.

If the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left handed people are in their "right" minds
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:45 PM

Quote:

I write right handed, everything else left handed, except when I fire a weapon. Right handed for a M16 and left for a handgun, not sure how I figured that out.

I'm pretty much left-handed for everything. For CQC, I've learned to be ambi-dextrous since it's easier for instructors to teach 'right-handed', then I just flip it over for myself. Shoot left-handed both pistol and rifle (left eye dominant). I will say though, when learning the M16 left-handed, shells ejecting to the right were really distracting.
Posted By: deppfan

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:50 PM

Quote:

SH,

I am pretty much like sweatpeas. My mom claims that when I was developing she knew I was growing up left handed so she started putting everything in my right hand.

Me too. I did bat left and throw the shot put left handed in HS though. Last year I broke my right wrist and tore the cartillage so now I do everything left handed. I'm just now beginning to use the right again.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:53 PM

I am right handed, do everything right handed but like dip i snowboard goofy-footed.

~Master Shake~
Posted By: homestar

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 07:55 PM

I'm right handed, but I can switch hit (kind of).
Posted By: redsfan

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 08:06 PM

I am left-dominant, but I write, bat, and play golf right-handed.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 08:43 PM

Spin Cycle here . . .

I'm a lefty. Things I do right-handed are shoot a gun, archery, field baseball(I bat left-handed), throw a frizbee, fish, use a calculator, and open jar lids. I'm sure there is more.

My maternal grandmother was left-handed, but no one else in the family is. My mother had a heck of a time teaching me how to tie my shoes because she is right-handed. She finally taught me by making two loops and crossing them. I had no idea I did it different until someone in high school saw me tying my shoes and loudly asked, "What are you doing?". That's when I asked my mom and she told me the story. I asked her once to teach me to crochet; I think she was horrified at the thought.
Posted By: MyKidsMom

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 09:15 PM

Lefty. Use scissors with right. Use mouse w/ right hand. Only one of my siblings. None of my children either. I wanted a lefty kid...but I'll take the perfect ones I have.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 09:18 PM

I think I'm right handed, at least that's my remote hand.
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 09:53 PM

I'm a righty, but I've had occasions that forced me to go lefty.
Posted By: dare2dream

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 10:35 PM

I'm a righty, both my kids (one mine, one step) were/are lefties. My grandaughter who is 10 months old reaches with her left hand, and I'm hoping she is a leftie too because I think it's cool (even though I'm not)

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/09/06 11:14 PM

I am left handed, so is my dad and so is my son.

Alien
Posted By: stoked

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 06:51 AM

My sister and I are both ambi-dextrous. I favor my right and she favors her left but we can both use either hand for just about anything.

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 12:10 PM

Quote:

My sister and I are both ambi-dextrous. I favor my right and she favors her left but we can both use either hand for just about anything.

Anything huh? Hmmmmm...

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 12:13 PM

Quote:

Spin Cycle here . . .

I'm a lefty. Things I do right-handed are shoot a gun, archery, field baseball(I bat left-handed), throw a frizbee, fish, use a calculator, and open jar lids. I'm sure there is more.

My maternal grandmother was left-handed, but no one else in the family is. My mother had a heck of a time teaching me how to tie my shoes because she is right-handed. She finally taught me by making two loops and crossing them. I had no idea I did it different until someone in high school saw me tying my shoes and loudly asked, "What are you doing?". That's when I asked my mom and she told me the story. I asked her once to teach me to crochet; I think she was horrified at the thought.

yeah, me too with the crochet and knitting stuff. I have tried those but it's like backwards to what the right handed person is doing so I gave that up. I can do cross stitch- ha ha. Also, someone else said they do check marks backwards- with me that's been the way for a long long time. When I look at a "correct" checkmark it looks odd. I tried doing it right but always went back to my backwards check marks. patrice
Posted By: ChicagoGuy

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 02:11 PM

left handed....

in my immediate family, the males are left handed and the females are right handed.
Posted By: Not Ready to Run

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 02:31 PM

Southpaw here. However, I am also a member of the righty scissor hand club.
Posted By: #12

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 02:35 PM

My husband and I are both right handed, but our son is a lefty. Are schools any better with the scissor thing now? My child is starting preschool this year!

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 03:27 PM

My whole family is right handed, except for my little brother. I coach his baseball team and he does everything right handed but bats left handed. It is common for lefties to bat right handed, but very uncommon for righties to bat left handed. It is just weird.

Brent
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Left- or right- handed? - 08/10/06 03:36 PM

Quote:

left handed....

in my immediate family, the males are left handed and the females are right handed.

Same thing in my family, with the exception of my niece.