How old is too old to have kids?

Posted By: Nanwa

How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:29 PM

Just saw on my home page that a 60 year old woman gave birth to twin boys. I don't think that is fair to the boys; they'll be barely out of high school and have to put mom in a nursing home.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Imagine

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:30 PM

Nanwa...maybe the right time to stop is when God/your body stops being able to reproduce?
Posted By: Mrs. Rizzo

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:30 PM

I've always heard that the risk for developmental problems increases after 40...greater risk for mental retardation and such

Personally...I think that sucks for these newborns
Posted By: Comp Guy No More

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:32 PM

The risk of defects, miscarriage, and the mother's health begins to increase at age 35. I'm not saying it's too old, but the risk is there and it increases each year thereafter.

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:51 PM

I would have thought she was through menopause by now. (Wish I was.)

I mean, those kids will be 10 year olds, and she'll be 70. Not exactly an age condusive to running around and enjoying your children's youth.
Posted By: someone else

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:53 PM

I am certainly uncomfortable with her reasons as to WHY she chose to get pregnant so late in life:

1. To give her 6 year old child someone to play with
2. To prove to other women that they do not need to live according to socially acceptable standards

This was a pregnancy wherein she put herself and her unborns at serious risk. I think it was irresponsible. I am just glad that her children were born healthy.
Posted By: tahdah

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:55 PM

Besides having a 29y/o and 33y/o, who disagree with her having these babies, she also has a 5 1/2 y/o. I don't know the answer, but having kids at 60, well? I guess it will depend on her energy level and health as time goes by. Gotta say she looked wonderful on the tv. Very pretty and young looking. My mil is 87 and just starting to slow down. She probably could have handled teens in her 70's, not that she would want to. She also looked much younger, even at 87 you would guess maybe in her 70's.
Posted By: Happy Drugs

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:57 PM

Even though she expressed her joy over this, she seemed rather defensive on the news this morning, and never answered when asked how the babys were doing, she wanted to go on and on about that it was her decision and no one had the right to say anything.

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 07:59 PM

Still, a 25 - 30 year old mom would have more energy to chase her kids around than a 65 - 70 year old, don't ya think? And twins require twice the energy!
Posted By: pjs

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 08:01 PM

Good God! I even know better and I'm not even there yet.
I personally would not have any kids past 45 yrs old, and that would only be if the relationship I was in was the best, and I would be a stay at home mom.

That's just ridiculous but I remember I must not pass judgement on what other people do.
Posted By: A_G

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 08:03 PM

geez, my grandmother just turned 70! I can't imagine her having a 10 year old (child that is, not grandchild).

60 does appear a bit late in life to have kids. but, it's like those old 80 year old men that do with younger wives...those guys probably won't even live to see their kids graduate high school.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 08:58 PM

I'm just glad it's not me!!!!

My brother and his wife are basically raising their two granddaughters and he just turned 71 (girls are both under 6 I think) That is hard enough without having to go thru a pregnancy at 60!!
Posted By: Happy Drugs

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 09:10 PM

You know I love my kids and gkids, but lord I am so glad they are out of the house and I now have some alone time with daddy!
I think about when the last one graduated and I just cried and cried that my babys were gone, boy not anymore!
Posted By: °X°

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 09:55 PM

Posted By: Fraudman CFCI

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 11:29 PM

A woman went to a walk-in clinic, where she was seen
by a young, new doctor. After about three minutes in the
examination room, the doctor told her she was pregnant.

She burst out, screaming as she ran down the hall.
An older doctor stopped her and asked what the
problem was, and she told him what happened.

After listening, he had her sit down and relax in
another room.

The doctor marched down the hallway to the back
where the first doctor was and demanded, "What's the matter with
you? Mrs. Terry is 59 years old, has four grown children and seven
grandchildren, and you told her she was pregnant?"

The young doctor continued to write on his clipboard, and
without looking up, asked, "Does she still have the hiccups?"
Posted By: deppfan

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/24/07 11:34 PM

LOL. Now that's funny.
Posted By: X O

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 12:24 AM

surely, there is a tax break for senior citizens with sub-teenagers she's looking to take advantage of....
Posted By: tahdah

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 02:30 AM

Trust me, there is no longer any advantage. A million years ago when I was in college and my parents were 62 SS would help pay for college and my parents refused saying that they could afford college for me (dumb and honest them). Today and for over almost 30 years, that no longer exists. Nor does survivors rights if a spouse has a decent income. My friends husband died about 25 years ago, both were teachers and they didn't give her any survivor benefits for her 2 kids because they said alone she made too much money.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 10:43 AM

I couldn't even being to imagine having a child at that age. I was exhausted when I had my son at 32.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: someone else
...To prove to other women that they do not need to live according to socially acceptable standards...

Wow, there's quite a few easier ways to prove that point!

My parents were in their late thirties when I was born, and I was 37 (my wife 33) when our youngest was born. I think starting to raise a kid in your forties is rough -- the energy and enthusiasm for it fades, and it's not fair to the kids to have parents that can't (or don't feel like) spending as much time with them as possible.

IMO, having a child at 60 is irresponsible.
Posted By: Ready to Retire

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 02:27 PM

I amd 60 and I don't want any more children. Believe me I love my 4 grandchildren but am always glad when they and their parents go home after a two day visit. I really enjoy the silence now and being able to do my own thing. I can't imagine what she was thinking. I hope her two older childres don't end up raising these twins.
Posted By: kitten

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 02:31 PM

I'm child-free by choice, so any age is too old to have kids, IMO.
Posted By: anon2006

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 02:35 PM

For some people, no matter what age they are, they dont want AssMonkeys running around....they are childfree by choice
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: QueenBee
For some people, no matter what age they are, they dont want AssMonkeys running around....they are childfree by choice

I confess: I am in love with QueenBee!
Posted By: Becka Marr

Re: How old is too old to have kids? - 05/25/07 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: CurlySue
I'm child-free by choice, so any age is too old to have kids, IMO.

I'm child-free by choice, but my thinking is more that any age is too young to have kids.