Help! I need recipes...

Posted By: Ops

Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:31 PM

I'm helping plan a bachelorette party, and I need recipes! I'm going to try to stick with the fingery appetizerish foods, and I really need easy, quick recipes (as I have to work the day of the party and need things that can be finished pretty quickly). Things that can be made ahead of time and/or either frozen or refrigerated. Any ideas? I've looked though cookbooks, and have only found a couple of recipes.

HELP, please!
Posted By: Dip

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:42 PM

you def need a pen1s cake or cookies....

frozen: tater tots, mozzarella sticks, bagel bites

store-bought: pita chips with hummus, salsa over cream cheese block and chips, spinach dip with sliced bagette or chips, fruit platter, veggie platter

you make: he11, who has the time?!
Posted By: NotALawyer

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:43 PM

Meatballs:

Put equal parts chili sauce and seedless grape jelly (it sounds weird, but works out really well) in a medium saucepan on a hot plate or in a crockpot. 'Melt' until mixed. Add frozen meatballs and allow to heat through. Have guests use toothpicks. Stir occassionally throughout evening and add additional meatballs as needed.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:43 PM

here's a fave from my parties... raspberry chipotle sauce over cream cheese block with wheat thins. the sauce is at costco--comes with 2 bottles for about $12...but it is super yummy!
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:44 PM

My favorite "easy" ones are the ones that don't have to be cooked at all. Make a fancy veggie tray (cherry tomatoes, slices of peppers, celery, pickles, cauliflower, broccoli) and a couple of dip choices. Then do a cheese and cracker tray...use 3-4 kinds of cheese and 3-4 kinds of crackers. Also do a fruit tray (apple slices, strawberries, grapes, star fruit, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc) and a couple of dips. I really like the flower pots with the fruit...they're a bit more work but they make a great centerpiece for the food table. Cut it into different shapes/sizes and put on a skewer and put into a fancy flower pot.

It's all good for you, mostly low fat perfect for a bunch of girls watching their weight before a wedding.
Posted By: Mrs. Rizzo

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:46 PM

pigs in a blanket...
those little mini sausages with BBQ and grape jelly in a crock pot...
chex mix (homemade of course)
mini quiches
fruit salad
Posted By: Imagine

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Rizzo

Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Rizzo
pigs in a blanket...
chex mix (homemade of course)
mini quiches
fruit salad

Don't let the pigs out of the blanket, they'll eat the chex mix
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:55 PM

Queso, Guacamole, Salsa, Cheese sticks, Taquitos, and then all the veggie trays, cheddar sausage balls, so good

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:55 PM

those frozen mini quiches from costco are actualyl really good. you can also get those pinwheel qwrap things from costco too--also yummy
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:57 PM

gosh, I gotta go to the boys rooms for more paper towels, the drool is just terrible reading all this

umm, ummmmm
Posted By: B_F

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:58 PM

Natalie's Nummies has some great recipes!
Posted By: Bacon Boy

BOL also has its own collection of recipes from posters.

Those of us who contributed to the other recipe thread may be surprised to see what was carried over there.

Originally Posted By: dip
those frozen mini quiches from costco are actualyl really good. you can also get those pinwheel qwrap things from costco too--also yummy

oh, oh

the mini cream puffs from Sams, I could eat the whole tub
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 07:59 PM

ingredients: bread, peanut butter, jelly, knife

tasks: open jars, take knife, coat liberally with PB &J, spread on bread, put bread together, cut into quarters, eat

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dip

I was just going to mention those
Posted By: Angel Eyes

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:00 PM

PR no wonder your heart is so weak....if that's how you eat!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Angel Eyes
PR no wonder your heart is so weak....if that's how you eat!

oh you don't know the half honey

I am good and do what the heart docs tell me, but they also tell me when I get the urge to be bad, to just go ahead and binge and get it out of my system

so, thats why I gotta eat the whole container, or and look out when it is my time to eat sausage ---- whoo hoooo

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:07 PM

Thanks! Although, I think I'll pass on the PB&J.

I think I'll have to go check out costco for this stuff! I don't ever think of places like that since the closest is about an hour - hour & a half away!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
...look out when it is my time to eat sausage ---- whoo hoooo

Posted By: Simply Sheldon

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:09 PM

Fried Bologna Sangwich

Heat up skillet.

Take out bologna and make 3 slits half from the middle out to the edges evenly around the bologna slice. (if not, bologna bubbles up and doesn't fry evenly)

while doing this toast bread.

Lather bread with mustard and/or mayo

Slap bologna on bread

Now you have a fried bologna sangwich!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: simply sheldon
Fried Bologna Sangwich

Heat up skillet.

Take out bologna and make 3 slits half from the middle out to the edges evenly around the bologna slice. (if not, bologna bubbles up and doesn't fry evenly)

Slap bologna on bread

Best recipe I've ever read. You're my hero.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:13 PM

YUCK!!Sheldon that sounds nasty
Posted By: i*sam

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:15 PM

Sounds like you need to bring a cooler and make a trip to Costco...even with the drive, if you buy everything there, you'll certainly save some time. The Costco/Kirkland brand vodka is well-priced there and supposedly as good as Grey Goose (heard this from several people).
Posted By: pjs

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
Fried Bologna Sangwich

Heat up skillet.

Slap bologna on bread

yeah, that's the only way to eat bologna. For sure!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: i*sam
Sounds like you need to bring a cooler and make a trip to Costco...even with the drive, if you buy everything there, you'll certainly save some time. The Costco/Kirkland brand vodka is well-priced there and supposedly as good as Grey Goose (heard this from several people).

Thanks for the tips!
Posted By: Imagine

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:18 PM

Fried Bologna Sangwich

Heat up skillet.

Slap bologna on bread

HEAVENLY

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bacon Boy
BOL also has its own collection of recipes from posters.

Those of us who contributed to the other recipe thread may be surprised to see what was carried over there.

Thanks! I wasn't aware!
Posted By: Simply Sheldon

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: patrice
Originally Posted By: Ops
Fried Bologna Sangwich

Heat up skillet.

Slap bologna on bread

yeah, that's the only way to eat bologna. For sure!

Or spam, if you're going down the processed meat road. Vienna sausages too!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:20 PM

I'm very selective about who processes my meat.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
I'm very selective about who processes my meat.

In a very serious tone, so am I!
Posted By: Bailey.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:27 PM

so in all seriousness, i'm at the grocery checkout last night, and the lady in front of me (hemp skirt and all) buys cage-free eggs, organic bread (whatever that's supposed to mean), yadda yadda yadda, and a case each of diet coke and fresca...
Posted By: doodles

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:28 PM

I was at Costcos last weekend and saw several things I thought would be great for a party (easy since already prepared) - scallops wrapped in bacon; mini quiches; little sausage in crescent rolls - these were all in frozen section; then in fresh I saw little croissant sandwiches; veggie wraps; and in the cooler they had party veggie trays with dip. We have to drive an hour to get to it but I will keep in mind for the next time I have to fix party food.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bailey.
so in all seriousness, i'm at the grocery checkout last night, and the lady in front of me (hemp skirt and all) buys cage-free eggs, organic bread (whatever that's supposed to mean), yadda yadda yadda, and a case each of diet coke and fresca...

did this person by any chance have a helmet?
Posted By: Bailey.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:30 PM

no helmet - only the cool kids get helmets

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:31 PM

I've never heard of Costcos- maybe we don't have it in our neck of the woods.
Posted By: Sing A Little

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:32 PM

If you're going to go to Costco, you might want to try those fresh mini tacos as one of your appetizers...they are yummy! They are in the refrigerated section with the imported cheese, salsa and pasta.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:33 PM

look up "chicken squares" online; it won a contest a number of years ago for pilsbury i think. relatively quick, very, very easy, and very tasty!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:34 PM

I've never heard of Costcos- maybe we don't have it in our neck of the woods.

I'm not sure they're in Ohio, but you can try Sam's Club.
Posted By: Mrs. Rizzo

Diss on me...I don't care...its good eatin though!

Frozen meatballs.

Throw them in a slow cooker. Cover with BBQ Sauce.

Cook

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:37 PM

Thanks BB- I will.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:39 PM

There are Costco in Ohio, but there are a lot more Sam's Clubs. Oh, and Sam's has the same things pretty much.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:46 PM

ok thanks BF.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:49 PM

I can't imagine not having a Costco near by, I guess that's why I am a city girl.

We go to Costco every week. They always have fresher dairy, produce and meat then the grocery store.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:52 PM

ok thanks BF.

yeah and Sams has the mini cream puffs in the frozen section; if you get those I will come wherever whenever :drool:

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
ok thanks BF.

yeah and Sams has the mini cream puffs in the frozen section; if you get those I will come wherever whenever :drool:

I'm sure there won't be any PR- seeing that they prob ship them all to you anyhow!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 09:34 PM

I'm not much of a cook, but I love to bake. Let me know if you need some ideas for individual portion desserts. My peanut butter candy ball recipe is pretty famous around here.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/18/07 11:40 PM

Sing! I'm jealous!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 09:56 AM

Sing, skim that pool of yours, throw the stuff in a blender, and voila, guacamole.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 12:04 PM

grosso!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Sing A Little
I'm not much of a cook, but I love to bake. Let me know if you need some ideas for individual portion desserts. My peanut butter candy ball recipe is pretty famous around here.

Hey, Sing.. hook me up with that famous recipe, please!

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 04:21 PM

I'll make sure that I post the recipe with measurements when I get home tonight.

In a nut shell, it's crushed rice crispies, melted butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Blend all together, and form into little balls. Put them in the fridge to chill (at least an hour, you want them to get hard)::::ducking the jokes::::

Then you melt some chocolate (your choice, works with just about anything), dip the PB Balls in the chocolate, put them back in the fridge for a few hours and then eat.

Anyone who likes peanut butter will love them and they can be made a few days in advance.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 04:23 PM

Sing, skim that pool of yours, throw the stuff in a blender, and voila, guacamole.

Eeeewwww!

By the way, my pool is now very clean and I've been swimming in it for a few weeks. I might make a splash just for you today.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 04:31 PM

Eeeewwww!

By the way, my pool is now very clean and I've been swimming in it for a few weeks. I might make a splash just for you today.

Skinny dip and send me pics

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 04:51 PM

I'll make sure that I post the recipe with measurements when I get home tonight.

In a nut shell, it's crushed rice crispies, melted butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Blend all together, and form into little balls. Put them in the fridge to chill (at least an hour, you want them to get hard)::::ducking the jokes::::

Then you melt some chocolate (your choice, works with just about anything), dip the PB Balls in the chocolate, put them back in the fridge for a few hours and then eat.

Anyone who likes peanut butter will love them and they can be made a few days in advance.

These kind of sound like buckeyes, which a so very good.
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 04:54 PM

Another easy desert Recipe:

Get several muffin tins, small muffins,
place some cookie dough in each muffin tin lined with a small muffin wrapper.
Bake for appropriate time.
When they are ready remove from oven and place a mini recees cup in each "muffin" while still hot.
Let cool.
Try to restrain self remembering that you made these to serve to other people

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 05:10 PM

DDD, that reminded me of a cheesecake I made using the mini muffin tins (they're like the size of a 50 cent piece). I follow the Betty Crocker recipe but omit the milk. Instead, I split the batter into 2-3 small batches and mix in my own flavoring. My faves are pumpkin (which I cook down from a real pumpkin every year), white chocolate (melted, first) and mint (using the mint liqueur). You can use the standard graham cracker crust for all three (about a 1/2 tsp in each tin) or use ground Girl Scout cookies (i.e., Thin Mints work heavenly for the mint cheesecakes). I pipe the batter into the tins. Cut the cooking time in half. Once fully cooled, I top the pumpkin with caramel sauce and toasted pecan, drizzle the white chocolate with raspberry puree, and drizzle the mint with melted dark chocolate.

Once you get an assembly line going, you can knock out dozens of these and really make an impression.

Re: Help! I need recipes... - 07/19/07 05:14 PM

Good ideas! I really like cookie dough/ reece's idea, and there's a good possibility I'll use Sing's PB Ball recipe.. in advance is a GOOD thing.

Thanks for the help! (And BB.. I'd like to make the white chocolate raspberry for my hubby.. his birthday is coming up.. maybe something to try!)