I need to know, Scariest movie

Posted By: SKULLSPLATTER

I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 04:55 PM

What is the scariest movie anyone has ever seen.
besides Kazaam.
Posted By: *BUSTER*

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 04:57 PM

The Adventures of Milo and Otis.
Posted By: Mrs. Rizzo

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 04:57 PM

Personally for me it's the Halloween movies...and I HATED The Hills Have Eyes
Posted By: A_G

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 04:58 PM

Hills Have Eyes was pretty Bad....

But scary how? Like mind scare, just plain or gorefest, makes you jump because things are popping out from everywhere?

The Texas Chainsaw remake was pretty bad too...
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:00 PM

It.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:04 PM

1955 Robert Mitchum in "The Night of the Hunter" - I was only 7 or 8 when I say this and it scared me so bad - he was a maniac with tatoos on each finger of each hand that said love and hate

many think this was his best movie
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Becca
It.

I'll second that. Scary movie. Very scary.

I also really found "The Shining" to be frightening, but I was pretty young when I first saw it.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:09 PM

Pretty much anything Hitchcock did was scary.
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:11 PM

House of 1,000 corpses, along with the sequel
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:17 PM

The Shining freaks me out every time.

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty good.

Vacancy is also quite a thriller, and is new to DVD.
Posted By: DEL

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:23 PM

The first Blair Witch Project.
Posted By: B_F

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:23 PM

Megasnake, just put out by the Sci-fi channel was pretty scary! Wait, not scary, STUPID!
Posted By: Dip

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:27 PM

event horizon got me
Posted By: X O

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:29 PM

spot on with Del, in the proper setting BWP was terribly scary...especially with surround sound...
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dip
event horizon got me

event horizon made me afraid to walk down my halway!
movie was wicked scary!

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:31 PM

i would have to say, everything from mind scare to everything and anything.
and yes the remake sucked.
Posted By: Sandy Beech

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:34 PM

i thought silence of the lambs was scary.
Posted By: Ops

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:39 PM

I don't do scary... they make me physically ill (something I can't explain). Even Pirana freaked me out.. and I watched that about 3 months ago.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:40 PM

pirahna? dang that's bad. what about alligator?
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:49 PM

The epitomy of scary - The Exorcist

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:50 PM

I'll tell you the scariest movie, 40 days/ 40 nights... that is a scary movie...

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:52 PM

I've never seen Alligator... I can't even watch Tremors.. makes me too nervous.
Posted By: bluebanker

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:52 PM

I thought Pet Semetary was by far the scariest movie I ever saw. "Scary" movies these days just try to either gross you out or startle you, but not scare you.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ops
I don't do scary... they make me physically ill (something I can't explain). Even Pirana freaked me out.. and I watched that about 3 months ago.

I'm the same way - I try really hard not to do scary at ALL...especially slasher movies. The suspense-scary ones I can handle most of the time (Silence of the Lambs, etc), but guts & gore? Nope - can't do it. I can usually read scary books, but can, have, and will put one down in the middle if it starts making me have wicked weird dreams like "It" did. I couldn't read the book so I thought I'd watch the movie. Bad idea. I was already a little freaked out by clowns. Now? Fuhgeddaboutit!

ETA: Oh, and Children of the Corn did permanent damage. I believe that it and Pet Sematary are primarily responsible for my paranoia.
Posted By: buggs

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:56 PM

Without a moment's hesitation, "Super Size Me."

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:58 PM

I can usually read scary books, but can, have, and will put one down in the middle if it starts making me have wicked weird dreams

I had to do that with "Misery"... not bad til the description of the foot coming off...
HORK!!!

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 05:59 PM

handled the policeman getting run over with a lawnmower but not the foot?

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:00 PM

The closest thing to scary I get is Dean Koontz. There have been plenty of times I've been really freaked out reading books.

I'd rather see blood and guts than sit on the edge of my seat. Doing that has *seriously* made me vomit before (pardon me).

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:02 PM

40 days/40 nights.....
Freakin Bonechilling

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Xodus...
handled the policeman getting run over with a lawnmower but not the foot?

there's no explaining it. just grossed me out.
Posted By: redsfan

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenCom

I'm with Karen. I have trouble watching the whole movie, it is so unsettling.
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: DEL
The first Blair Witch Project.

There have only been three things that have really scared me, and I'm talking REALLY scared, not 'jumped because they used a cheap horror trick', but seriously scared me.

1. Blair Witch Project - only because I can see myself doing that. I used to go visit Bachelor's Grove Cemetary off in the woods. And I slept in the basement. I happen to see the movie during the 'artsy' phase, and not when the general population saw it, and talked all through the movie.

2. An episode of Perversions of Science on HBO - the episode where the guy is stuck in a dream.... that was crazy!

3. The short story of The Boogeyman, by Stephen King (in Night Shift). My sister read it to me when I was 9. I still don't like to have closets open at night.
Posted By: kms

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:07 PM

I love scary movies but don't really scare me anymore. The Blair Witch Project got to me and don't laugh but signs scared me so bad that I put the DVD out on my front porch I wouldn't let it stay in the house...

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: iamthelambofgod
40 days/40 nights.....
Freakin Bonechilling

that's what I am saying...
Posted By: CubDave

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:20 PM

I usually laugh at the typical scary movies, but as a "young" kid, I remember being very scared at Wizard of Oz when the witches face was in the crystal ball, and as an adult, the one movie I can remember scaring me was "Play Misty for Me".

That said, I did literally jump out of my seat in the movie theater watching Jaws, when the shark came up when they were throwing bloody fish off the side.
Posted By: Beige

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:22 PM

ETA: Oh, and Children of the Corn did permanent damage. I believe that it and Pet Sematary are primarily responsible for my paranoia.

He want's you too Malachi
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:30 PM

The only two movies I ever remember giving a second thought to have both been mentioned here - they were The Blair Witch Project and Event Horizon. I saw both without knowing anything about them ahead of time, and I think that helped make them "scarier" somehow. Event Horizon creeped me out the rest of the night. Blair Witch creeped me out for the next week. I saw it the first weekend, before everybody was talking about it; my younger sister (14 or 15 at the time) went to see it later and I actually tried to get my parents to tell her she couldn't. She just laughed it off - didn't think it was the least bit scary. Meanwhile, I'm looking behind the shower curtain before I can take a leak, checking the closets in my apartment before I go to bed, etc. Pathetic.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: mag&moo
I had to do that with "Misery"... not bad til the description of the foot coming off...
HORK!!!

I believe the term you're looking for is 'hobble'

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Originally Posted By: mag&moo
HORK!!!

I believe the term you're looking for is 'hobble'
yeah, it is, but i was trying to supress that. i think i just threw up in my mouth a little.
Posted By: Kronott

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:51 PM

My cousins scared the heck out of me when I was younger with Steven King and Freddie stuff, though I never saw the actual movies until much much later in life. The only two movies that I can remember actually scaring me were The Labyrinth(I was a kid and Bowie was freaky) and Jaws. The first time I saw Jaws I was on vacation, yup on the oceanfront in Long Beach; pools with deep ends and no lights still make me wonder.
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:53 PM

Why do you need to know this....
Posted By: thomasj

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: CubDave
...... I did literally jump out of my seat in the movie theater watching Jaws, when the shark came up when they were throwing bloody fish off the side.

That's funny CubDave, my older sister took me to see that movie when I was 7 or 8 and when that shark jumped up during that scene I ran out of the theatre! I had to call my parents to come get me.

I used to enjoy horror films, but no one else in my family does so I don't watch them anymore. I am surprised no one mentioned the "Saw" series. I haven't seen any of them, but from what I heard they were more gore than scare.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 07:09 PM

well i need to know this because, i have asked a ton of people and these days movies dont seem to scare me. i guess im doing this because i want a good scare.
Posted By: kms

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 07:18 PM

The descent was pretty good too, makes you jump a bit.
Posted By: Queen Bee

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 07:40 PM

When i was about 12, Silver Bullet scared me so much that I had to turn it off and couldnt finish it for years. The other one that really scared me was the one where the phone keeps ringing and the killer is calling from inside the house...the original not the remake.

I cant watch scary movies unless my husband is home

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: QueenBee
When i was about 12, Silver Bullet scared me so much that I had to turn it off and couldnt finish it for years. The other one that really scared me was the one where the phone keeps ringing and the killer is calling from inside the house...the original not the remake.

I cant watch scary movies unless my husband is home

I believe the movie you described is "When a Stranger Calls". The original version is so much better!
Posted By: Queen Bee

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 07:50 PM

yes - yes! That one was very scary to me because I used to babysit all the time.

These days movies dont really scare me. I might get startled but most of them are just stupid. Saw I was good and yes, It was very scary

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 08:14 PM

I remember when I was a teenager reading John Saul's 'Suffer the Children'. I was alone when I was reading it and got so creeped out that I called my mom and asked her when she was coming home. I didn't want to be alone!

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 08:18 PM

The line that haunts me (I think it's from a Dean Koontz book, but I can't remember which one) has something to do with the main character looking out a window at the night "and the darkness was looking back at her." I'm fine out IN the dark, but I still hurry past windows at night.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 08:45 PM

I finished reading Pet Cemetary at midnight. I was probably about 13 years old. I whipped the book across the room - lefdt my light on and covered my head with the blankets!
Posted By: °X°

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 08:50 PM

Bambi
Posted By: compliancenut

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenCom

I'd have to agree - it was the sound effects and some of the images that stayed with me, and my age at the time - could not sleep for awhile after that one.
Posted By: West Texas

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 09:30 PM

The Omen has always givin me the creeps.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Without a moment's hesitation, "Super Size Me."

I started watching the movie but couldn't get all the way through it. It made me so hungry I had to run to McDonald's right away!

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 09:46 PM

The closest thing to scary I get is Dean Koontz. There have been plenty of times I've been really freaked out reading books.

Intensity was by far my favorite of his books.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/27/07 09:53 PM

I'm the same way - I try really hard not to do scary at ALL...especially slasher movies. The suspense-scary ones I can handle most of the time (Silence of the Lambs, etc), but guts & gore? Nope - can't do it. I can usually read scary books, but can, have, and will put one down in the middle if it starts making me have wicked weird dreams like "It" did. I couldn't read the book so I thought I'd watch the movie. Bad idea. I was already a little freaked out by clowns. Now? Fuhgeddaboutit!

LOL Becca...I've blamed Children of the Corn, Pet Cemetary and IT for a lot of my problems!!
Posted By: slubgob

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 12:51 AM

My vote is for The Blair Witch Project too. I think it's much better for a movie to show as little of the "bad guy" as possible. It's much better to have your mind filling in the blanks with your worst fears than to see a lot of fake special effects. I think that is why Hitchcock was so good at it.
Posted By: TheManofSteel

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 01:23 AM

Damn, y'all named some movies that actually made me laugh rather than creep me out. The only two scary movies mentioned so far have been Exorcist and Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

I put the original black and white Night of the Living Dead as the #1 scary movie, w/Exorcist and TCSM right up there with it.

The Halloween flicks are scary, but more from a suspense angle than anything else.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 11:37 AM

I think the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That, and the ORIGINAL Cape Fear, with Robert Mitchum.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr. Bob
I finished reading Pet Cemetary at midnight. I was probably about 13 years old. I whipped the book across the room - lefdt my light on and covered my head with the blankets!

I couldn't finish watching the movie the first time I saw it. I had to save the ending for the next morning when there was daylight.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 01:03 PM

That little kid managed to be really, really cute and really, really creepy at the same time!!! "First I played with mommy, then I played with Jed and now I want to play with yooooou"

AAAAAHHHH!!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 01:46 PM

Blair Witch Project didn't scare me at all. We found it annoying. Everyone in the theatre was cheering for the witch and wanting that annoying girl to die so we wouldn't have to listen to her ad libs anymore.

Pet Cemetary was scary - the violins just got on my last nerve - they set up the scary scenes so well.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 01:52 PM

Ditto on Blair Witch. I just wanted them all to fall in a hole or something so it would end.
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 03:07 PM

Blair Witch made me laugh.. I couldn't take it serious..

When I was young:

Childs Play (1st)- made me sleep in room with my dog and lights on cuz I got scared.

Children of the Corn and Parts of IT - made me sleep in hall outside my parents room with my dog.

Pet Cemetary - I slept with parents for a week and stayed away from small blonde headed kids.. and my dog....

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 03:42 PM

Tttttthhhhheeeerrrrreeee Bbbbbaaaccckkkkk!!!! Gotta love all the poltergiest movies!!!!
Posted By: Becka Marr

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:22 PM

E.T.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
E.T.

OMG! I saw that in the theater with my older sister when I was little and was TERRIFIED! Not of ET, I thought he was cool - I was scared of the people in the white suits at the end. I wasn't going to admit that, but since you went first...

Edited because I can't type and accidentally described ET as "cook" instead of "cool" Doh!

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:45 PM

E.T.

OMG! I saw that in the theater with my older sister when I was little and was TERRIFIED! Not of ET, I thought he was cook - I was scared of the people in the white suits at the end. I wasn't going to admit that, but since you went first...

Little girl in the neighborhood I grew up in ended up in therapy over that movie...no joke...

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:45 PM

and before you even think it...NO IT WASN'T ME
Posted By: Becka Marr

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:46 PM

E.T.

OMG! I saw that in the theater with my older sister when I was little and was TERRIFIED! Not of ET, I thought he was cook - I was scared of the people in the white suits at the end. I wasn't going to admit that, but since you went first...

I saw it in the theater with my mom when I was three. It was the beginning that freaked me out - spooky forest stuff...

'The Ring' also creeped me out when I saw it in the theater.
Posted By: Imagine

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:49 PM

I cannot wait until Rob Zombie's Halloween comes out on Friday...

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 08:49 PM

I think I was 5 or 6. Could explain why I developed a severe case of "white-coatitis" and am now afraid of doctors (and perfume snipers/make-up counter girls ).
Posted By: TXBSA

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 09:08 PM

Has anyone seen Dead Silence.

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/28/07 09:17 PM

nope...new?
Posted By: buggs

Re: I need to know, Scariest movie - 08/29/07 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: dieseldave
What is the scariest movie anyone has ever seen.
besides Kazaam.

Seriously? I think it has to be either Rear Window or The Birds.

The Rear Window scene with Raymond Burr turning off the light and walking slowly up the stairs to Jimmy Stewart's apartment can send chills up my spine.

The scene in The Bird when they're walking past all the quiet birds towards the end of the movie is probably the creepiest thing I've ever seen on film. That and the person with their eyes pecked out.