Tax Refunds for Non-US persons?

Posted By: AML247

Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/16/08 04:56 PM

This past week I have had three checks cashed that all have the same name. They are all US Treasury checks noted with "Tax Refund" on them. First of all, how does one person get three Federal Tax Refund checks -- I can't come up with a scenario. Secondly, the person to which the check is paid does not have a social -- only a passport from Mexico. Twice he came to the bank with someone else who secondarily endorsed the checks (and that person had a SSN & valid driver's license). The other time, he came by himself. Does anyone have an explanation as to how this happens? I work my 40 every week and only got one!
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/16/08 05:40 PM

I can suggest two possible fraud scenarios. First, there's a possibility the checks are counterfeits, although actual counterfeits of Treasury checks are few and far between.

The second scenario involves filing multiple tax returns to defraud the IRS. It takes a while for the IRS to catch this kind of scam.

If you have images of the three checks, you can contact the IRS Criminal Investigation Division to pass on any suspicions. In the event that a total of $5,000 or more is involved, you should file a SAR.
Posted By: devsfan

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/16/08 09:10 PM

I am wondering why you cashed the checks for this individual, especially since some were also endorsed by another person.

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/17/08 04:01 PM

That's what I wanted to know! The individual went to different offices and took another person who is a signer on one of our good customers' business accounts. Since that individual was known to the Tellers, it appears that they felt comfortable doing this for him (he's the one who secondarily endorsed the check). Needless to say, after I recovered from my "hissy-fit", I contacted Branch Administration to address the issue!

I've pulled the actual checks and other tax refund checks to compare and cannot see any visible evidence that they are counterfeit. However, I do plan on contacting someone at the IRS and inquiring.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please feel free to share!
Posted By: CantBeShocked

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/17/08 04:42 PM

I agree with all comments above and I just had to add to Nu2BSA from ALABAMA -

I'm SO GLAD that I'm not the BSA girl having "hissy fits: :-)

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/17/08 09:44 PM

Now I know ya'll in MS throw Hissy-fits too!!
Posted By: CantBeShocked

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/17/08 09:48 PM

You got it girlfriend ! I can throw a big one, smile at you and you won't even know you've been told off too;) All it takes is a little "honey" and "sugar".....etc.
Posted By: BrendaC

Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? - 04/18/08 03:18 PM

And always end with ..."bless your heart".