TIN Required?

Posted By: SARempress

TIN Required? - 09/03/08 04:44 PM

Our bank has been contacted by an attorney who would like to open an account for a U.S. organized LLC owned solely by a foreign person. He has opined that a TIN is not required under IRS rules since the company does not have business income. IRS rules aside, my opinion is that in order to open a bank account, CIP rules require a TIN since the business meets the definition of a US person. Does anyone have any information that would make this untrue? I could not locate any guidance from FinCEN.
Posted By: BrendaC

Re: TIN Required? - 09/03/08 04:47 PM

What is the purpose of this LLC?
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: TIN Required? - 09/03/08 05:19 PM

Regardless of the purpose of the LLC, if it is organized under the laws of the United States or of any of the States, it is a U.S. Person as noted by SARempress. As a U.S. Person, it cannot open a bank account without a TIN (or providing documentation that it has applied for one, if the bank's CIP will permit it).

The attorney's opinion notwithstanding, there are no exceptions to that rule.

Re: TIN Required? - 09/03/08 05:42 PM

Thanks John! That is exactly what I thought.
Posted By: BrendaC

Re: TIN Required? - 09/03/08 05:52 PM

I was curious why an organization was formed that had no income (not just no US based income--no business income). Are they intentionally creating some type of shell business? There could be other AML implications here worth following up on.

Re: TIN Required? - 09/03/08 06:01 PM

I've asked the banker that very question and am hoping they simply mispoke and meant the company had no US based income!
Posted By: Ted Dreyer

Re: TIN Required? - 09/03/08 08:20 PM

It could be a shell, but it could also have been formed to do something specific like hold title to property.