File a SAR?

Posted By: Fallgirl

File a SAR? - 08/25/09 08:42 PM

I need another opinion on whether or not to file a SAR. We had an individual come into the bank three times within ten days to get a cash advance for $7K - $8K. This person is not a customer and is from out of state. He stated he was a truck driver and needed cash for his drivers. Would anyone file a SAR in this case? Why or why not?
Posted By: i*sam

Re: File a SAR? - 08/25/09 09:06 PM

I would--large transactions under the reporting amount in a short amount of time. If he has a legitimate truck driving business, that cash should be coming out of a business banking account. And if this cash is for payroll, sounds like there could be some form of tax evasion here.
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: File a SAR? - 08/25/09 10:10 PM

It's hard to say w/o knowing all the facts, but based on the details you described, I would file a SAR. I agree w/ Sam that this could be a case of tax evasion along with structuring.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: File a SAR? - 08/26/09 01:08 PM

If he's not a customer, why are you giving him cash? What kind of check is it?
Posted By: Skittles

Re: File a SAR? - 08/26/09 01:12 PM

She stated 'cash advance' so I'm assuming it's against a credit card.
Posted By: Fallgirl

Re: File a SAR? - 08/27/09 01:31 PM

Yes it was a credit card. We do cash advances for noncustomers, but not very often. it just seemed odd to me that he would come in three times within ten days and take out that amount of cash.
Posted By: nemsi

Re: File a SAR? - 08/27/09 01:39 PM

Yes- I would file a SAR for structuring.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: File a SAR? - 08/27/09 07:12 PM

I would file. I had a similar situation with a debit card from a brokerage account. We contacted the FI that issued the debit card, they contacted customer, he admitted to structuring!
Posted By: WonderWoman

Re: File a SAR? - 08/28/09 10:48 PM

*devil's advocate* ... he may have a limit on how much he can cash advance ... most cards have that ...

Either that or you may want to read up on this story to see if your situation is similar ...

http://sacramento.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel09/sc081709.htm