High Risk Countries

Posted By: Retread

High Risk Countries - 01/28/10 03:53 PM

Some of you may be interested in this website.

http://www.knowyourcountry.com/index.html

Click on the icons for "Risk Banding Index" and "Country Reports Library" and check them out.
Posted By: markp

Re: High Risk Countries - 01/28/10 05:21 PM

Thanks,

what list can i look at that will show the ones that are listed or have santions againt it?
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: High Risk Countries - 01/28/10 06:46 PM

markp,

Click on the link offered by Retread and then click on the icon for "Risk Banding Index". That's one of the columns.

I think it's an interesting approach, very basic.
Posted By: NewTooBSA

Re: High Risk Countries - 01/28/10 07:00 PM

Thanks Retread!
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: High Risk Countries - 01/30/10 01:51 AM

Great resource!
Thank you.
Posted By: AuditorK

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/01/10 01:19 PM

Great resource - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: kw004h

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/01/10 10:29 PM

Did anyone else notice that neither North Korea nor Cuba is listed? Sanctions currently exist for those countries, but they are not covered on this site, which is a shame, because the other info is so interesting. Are there any others that are missing?
Posted By: buggs

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/01/10 11:26 PM

Looks like this site is administered by an individual in the UK. I did some Google searches on him and his company, but didn't turn up too much. He may very well be an expert in his field, but I would use this site as an interesting reality-check, but I would not rely upon his information as my bank's country risk indicator.

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/02/10 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kw004h
Did anyone else notice that neither North Korea nor Cuba is listed? Sanctions currently exist for those countries, but they are not covered on this site, which is a shame, because the other info is so interesting. Are there any others that are missing?

Sorry about that. Sometimes the obvious can be overlooked when the presentation is splashy. I'm trying to contact the creator to find out why Cuba and North Korea have been omitted. In the meantime, here is another chart that expresses another group's idea of countries of concern. It is about 9 months old, but still useful.

http://finsolinc.com/CIP%20QUICK%20REFERENCE%20CHART%20-%20MARCH%202009.pdf

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/02/10 04:08 PM

Just so you know, I got a response. This is a work in progress, so stay tuned. When completed, it should be a great resource. I admire someone who can spend the time to create something like this for free use by those who have a need for this type of information.
Posted By: kw004h

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/02/10 10:45 PM

Thanks for checking into it Retread! If this were to be complete, it would definitely (for me) be less confusing than the current OFAC Sanctions pages for "at-a-glance" answers to are there sanctions or are there not?

If only more people used their powers for good instead of evil....

Re: High Risk Countries - 02/22/10 06:31 PM

FYI. Cuba and North Korea are now on the chart from the UK.

Posted By: PeeWee

Re: High Risk Countries - 03/12/10 09:47 PM

Has anyone now used the chart at: http://www.knowyourcountry.com/index.html to risk rate countries? If so, do you mind sharing how you derived the score (high, moderate or low)?

For example, did you say if they have XX number of High, they are rate High. If they have XX number of Moderate, then they are rated Moderate. I know that many countries have a mix of high and moderate indicators...just trying to devise a formula.

Thanks.