Resident Alien from Cuba

Posted By: SunnyFL, CRCM

Resident Alien from Cuba - 03/29/10 08:46 PM

With the current sanctions, what about opening an account for a resident alien from Cuba? She has a driver's license, social security card, and permanent resident card. If acceptable, are their any transactions that should not be allowed? I have poured through the information on the OFAC website but nothing seems to cover this. The social security card and permanent resident card are throwing me on this one.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Resident Alien from Cuba - 03/29/10 11:44 PM

31 CFR 515.505 Certain Cuban nationals unblocked; transactions of Cuban nationals paroled into the United States.

(a) General license unblocking certain persons. The following persons are licensed as unblocked nationals, as that term is defined in Sec. 515.307 of this part:
(1) Any individual who:
(i) Has taken up residence in the United States;
(ii) Is a United States citizen, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or has applied to become a permanent resident alien of the United States and has an adjustment of status application pending;
(iii) Is not a specially designated national; and

(2) Any entity that otherwise would be a national of Cuba solely because of the interest therein of an individual licensed in paragraph (a)(1) of this section as an unblocked national.

Note to paragraph (a): An individual unblocked pursuant to this paragraph does not become blocked again by leaving the United States unless he or she becomes domiciled or a permanent national of Cuba or otherwise becomes a specially designated national.