"Profitable" MSB Account

Posted By: brice

"Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 06:09 PM

We have recently acquired branches in a metro area which had several MSB accounts. In the past, we have only small check cashing companies. I know we will spend more time and effort with these accounts, and the risk is certainly there. Can anyone share with me a service charge routine that has been accepted by examiners and tends to help these accounts become profitable?
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 06:45 PM

Have you put them on analysis?

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 06:46 PM

We have them on our regular analysis -- but because of the extra monitoring and extra cash they are using, we are trying to come up with an analysis just for this type account.

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 06:49 PM

I have seen fees range from a couple hundred dollars to over $4,000 per month. Sadly, I don't know the formula these banks used though.

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 06:51 PM

That's what I have heard also -- just trying to find out some of their formulas!
Posted By: What??

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 06:56 PM

We base the risk on the level of 3rd party checks deposited monthly. Give me your emial address and I will send you what we have.

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 08:00 PM

beverly@cbtx.com

Thanks!!
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 08:06 PM

Be very very careful of discussing specific pricing parameters with other financial institutions as that is generally prohibited.

With respect to the risk of third party checks, many institutions require a pledge of collateral, such as a Time Deposit, to cover the endorsement failure risk. The requirement is that the account must be maintained at least a year to three years after the last 3rd party check is deposited.

With respect to a monthly service fee, you really need to take a look at the expense the bank will incur for the additional monitoring, due diligence work, etc. and charge accordingly.

Re: "Profitable" MSB Account - 10/14/11 08:53 PM

This is a public forum Brice. You may want to take down your email and PM it to SQ.