Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers

Posted By: jhoch

Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 11:09 AM

Looking for comments on what banks do in regards to AML risk ratings for customers who only have an equipment lease product. I've heard from one bank that those customers can't receive a high risk rating unless they get other products. I'd like to get comments from other banks to see what they do.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 12:27 PM

I've heard from one bank that those customers can't receive a high risk rating unless they get other products
Why?
Posted By: osucpa

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 12:45 PM

You should be rating customers on your bank's risk profile not others. I agree with edAudit.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 12:52 PM

Slide show for compliance issues in the equipment leasing industry. It starts with money laundering.

The other bank's automatic "pass" may reflect nothing more than a lack of comprehension.

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 02:50 PM

I think the general theory is that the equipment lease product is a low risk for money laundering. FinCen in granting an exemption to the new Beneficial Ownership rules to equipment finance companies states that the product is a low risk for being used as a vehicle for money laundering. The reason I'm seeking comment is that we're having discussions about setting the thresholds for cutoffs between Low, Moderate and High Risk. In the absence of other banking products would there necessarily be a larger percentage of high risk customers. There's no set standard of how many customers in each category you should have (i.e. 10% should be high, 50% moderate etc. etc.) based on the overall risk profile of your organization. I found it a bit odd that the org I talked to would make it impossible to have a high risk customer (if only lease product) but maybe its me that's odd so i wanted to get comments from others.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 04:33 PM

I think the general theory is that the equipment lease product is a low risk for money laundering

Even if the equipment is know to be used for the manufacture of some illegal/sanctioned materials?

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 10/21/16 05:38 PM

I didn't mean no risk I meant low risk.
Posted By: loyo111

Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers - 12/06/16 04:08 PM

We risk rate them based off of their NAICS codes....and then on a yearly basis we take those names and run them against negative news and that is our High Risk review process.