File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft

Posted By: WIBanker91

File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/19/17 09:28 PM

We had an attempted new account fraud through on-line account opening. There were a lot of red flags before we opened the account, discovered that there was an attempt to open an account in an elderly person's name. The suspect had all the required information. We believe we were not the only bank to have this attempt. The request was to open the account for $200 so technically I would not file a SAR but should I?
Posted By: JacF

Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/20/17 02:27 AM

As you note, any filing you do would be voluntary. But if you have worthwhile information about the attempt (IP addresses, email addresses, source of funds), filing for the sake of making this information available to law enforcement could have alot of value. As you note, your bank is not the only target.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/20/17 04:45 PM

As Jac mentioned, this is ultimately your call but this information might be useful to law enforcement if they choose to pursue this individual.

Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/20/17 06:05 PM

thanks for confirming my thoughts.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/20/17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By WIBanker91
We had an attempted new account fraud through on-line account opening. There were a lot of red flags before we opened the account, discovered that there was an attempt to open an account in an elderly person's name. The suspect had all the required information. We believe we were not the only bank to have this attempt. The request was to open the account for $200 so technically I would not file a SAR but should I?

As one who is on the rapid slide toward "elder" status -- I keep pushing my definition of "elder" each year -- I thank you on behalf of any elder whose assets you might save by being aware of those red flags.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/20/17 10:57 PM

For the first time in my career, this week I heard a law enforcement representative say in public there was no chance they would pursue a SAR for an amount of less than $XX,XXX. (I heard something similar in a training class for FDIC examiners in the preceding century.)

Given the amount and the fact that no federal agency has jurisdiction over the financial exploitation of the elderly, I would not waste my time.

Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft - 04/21/17 04:35 PM

thank you