CTR Withdrawal Joint Account

Posted By: Nick

CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/06/18 06:42 PM

Hello,

We have always included joint account holders when doing a CTR for cash withdrawals. With that being said, If a one account holders (person A) comes in and withdrawals $20,000 and then during the same day the other account holder (person B) comes in and withdrawals $100 cash out of an account that only has his name on it, would that cash withdrawal by person B be included on the CTR? If going by my initial thought I was going to file the CTR as:

Part I: Person A, Conducting transaction on own behalf - $20,000
Part I: Person B, Conducting transaction on own behalf- $20,100

Does that work?
Posted By: bcompliance

Re: CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/06/18 06:52 PM

If I were including a joint owner on the CTR for withdrawals, I'd file it as you indicated in this scenario.
Posted By: TXBSA

Re: CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/06/18 09:51 PM

If you are assuming that Person B benefitted from the $20,000 withdrawn by Person A, why do you not make the same assumption about Person A benefitting from the $100 withdrawn by Person B.

FAQ #24 put out by FinCEN is pretty specific about only including joint owners on withdrawals if the institution HAS knowledge that the individual not present will benefit from the transaction.

I would re-examine why joint owners are being included on the CTR in the first place.
Posted By: BrianC

Re: CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/06/18 11:25 PM

I almost posted the same, but look at the OP carefully. The $100 withdrawal was from an individual account.
Posted By: LiveFunLife

Re: CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/07/18 04:00 PM

I back what TXBSA said. I would not include the joint owner simply because they are a joint owner. Our front line staff are trained and hopefully ask questions to determine how the money will be used. If Person A takes 20,000 and goes on a weekend retreat that Person B does not get to go on it seems that there is no reason for Person B to be on a CTR.

BrianC great observation per usual. I missed it after first read.
Posted By: TXBSA

Re: CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/07/18 07:15 PM

I missed that as well. Sorry about that! If you are going to include the joint owner then your original thought would be correct.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: CTR Withdrawal Joint Account - 09/07/18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By LiveFunLife
If Person A takes 20,000 and goes on a weekend retreat
Definitely living the fun life! One heck of a retreat.