Beneficial Ownership for LLC

Posted By: Compliance Action Subscriber 1226

Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/16/19 06:57 PM

Person opened an LLC with his wife as signer only - is this still subject to the Control Prong/ownership prong
Posted By: Adam Witmer

Re: Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/16/19 07:05 PM

I'm not positive I understand the question, but it seems like you have an LLC that opened a new account. An LLC is an entity that requires verification of both the ownership and the control prong. The signers on the account have nothing to do with the ownership and control of the business/legal entity.
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/16/19 07:29 PM

An LLC is a Legal Entity Customer as defined by the Final Rule.

Re: Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/16/19 07:30 PM

Person that opened the account is the owner and wife is just a signer - so I guess he is the ownership prong and wife is control prong, he owns 100%
Posted By: BrianC

Re: Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/16/19 08:25 PM

The Bank should not be deciding this. The final rule states that we ask the person opening the account on behalf of the legal entity who the beneficial owners are.

The person opening the account may state that the 100% owner satisfies both the ownership prong and the control prong.

Re: Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/16/19 08:29 PM

I agree, Brian, the owner satisfies both the ownership prong and the control prong - thanks to all
Posted By: TryingtoComply

Re: Beneficial Ownership for LLC - 05/17/19 03:43 PM

Brian,

I cannot agree with you more. I keep reminding my staff that it is not them that decides who goes on the form. Give the form to the customer and have them complete it. If it seems wrong, then ask questions, but bank employees should not be preparing the form.