SAR - False Statement ?

Posted By: lisa

SAR - False Statement ? - 06/16/05 03:16 PM

How many of you would file a SAR on a loan applicant that provided you with a SSN that has been reported "not issued as of March 2005"?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/16/05 03:21 PM

Was it done with the intent to defraud the bank? Is the customer just dyslexic? I think it takes a little more research to make a determination and it will be a case-by-case call.
Posted By: renniks

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/16/05 07:00 PM

In the lending world, if we found out for sure that the SSN was truly fake, stolen, or invalid, we would consider it an attempt to defraud the bank. We would then deny the loan and file a SAR.
Posted By: LoisLane

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/20/05 09:49 PM

I'm looking for a similar conversation that I just read today and this is the closest that I could find with the search.
The information I'm looking for was about filing a SAR and someone maybe John? Andy? Randy? Jim? referenced some of the definitions that are SAR violations like "Commercial loan fraud".
Obviously that's not on this discussion-- but what I wanted to ask is where can I find the definition for "commercial loan fraud", "mortgage loan fraud" etc.
I checked out FinCEN with no luck (although I did find an interesting power point there that I hadn't seen before).
Posted By: MyKidsMom

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/20/05 10:04 PM

You will also see this "warning" on ITIN numbers.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/21/05 12:08 AM

Lois,

I think you are looking for the definitions that Ken so graciously provided in this thread:

Unreported Income

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/21/05 01:20 PM

Randy and Ken. Thanks so much. Yes, this is the information I was looking for (I thought I had re-looked at everything from yesterday trying to find it).
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/21/05 02:07 PM

Lois,
The 7th Issue of the SAR Activity Review contains a list of the categories of suspicious activity, the federal statutes involved and an explanation/ description of each. That's where my inserts came from. Using the document’s page numbers (not those of the PDF file) see page 40.

SAR Activity Review, #7

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/22/05 02:05 PM

Ken, thanks again - - I just found it in your answer to another poster this morning. I think this will help me organize training material for loan officers.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/22/05 02:12 PM

If a SAR has a $5k min threshold, how could a filing be applicable to the submission of an application (that takes place before a monetary transaction )?
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/22/05 02:27 PM

If they asked for a certain amount of money, that would be the amount of the fraud attempt.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/22/05 03:16 PM

How about if the application was to open a new deposit account with an initial deposit of $10?
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: SAR - False Statement ? - 06/22/05 04:11 PM

Quote from FinCEN at the ABA RCC "Go back to your thresholds."