Mailing CTRs to the IRS

Posted By: Anonymous

Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/23/05 08:37 PM

We do not file many CTRs and send them to the IRS by regular U.S. mail. We have not had any problems in the past sending them this way. It has been recommended that we send them via certified mail or overnight by carrier i.e. FedEx so that we could have a receipt from the IRS. My question is does either the Post Office or FedEx accept these items since they are addressed to the Post Office Box 33604 in Detroit?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/23/05 08:49 PM

The Post Office accepts them. We send them certified mail and have never had a problem.

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/23/05 09:15 PM

Original anon here. Thank You. Does anyone send them overnight by FedEx (or other carrier)?
Posted By: huntik

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/23/05 09:22 PM

We just send ours in the regular mail and have never had a problem. We send a verification form with our CTRs and the Fed stamps it and mails it back in a postage paid envelope.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/23/05 09:25 PM

I think you will hit your road block when you attempt to send them; i.e. my understanding is that both UPS and Fed Ex require a street address or they simply will not accept the package.

All you really need is "proof of mailing," not "proof of receipt." You just get the stamped receipt from the P.O. for each SAR that you mail and attach it to the file copy. It's easier and less expensive.

To eliminate the whole mess, consider e filing.

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/29/05 05:55 PM

Is there a charge for e-filing? When I started the process of downloading the ICS Viewer and reading their agreement it stated that after 30 days there may be a fee??? Does anyone use e-filing and is there a charge? Thanks!

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/29/05 06:13 PM

In our last exam the examiners found that 2 of our CTRs were supposedly not received by the IRS and so they documented this. I got on the phone to the IRS because I knew they had been mailed. Well the IRS did after a few days find one of the CTRS (which helped a little with the examiners when I insisted the other one had also been mailed); nevertheless they still put in their documentation that one had not been received by the IRS and said we needed to find a way to prove they were mailed. We are a small bank and with our few exemptions, we have only about 4 CTRs a month. So I developed a simple form that requires the initials of 2 employees showing the CTR was mailed and the date of mailing and who did the mailing. We put the postage on here at the office and the postman actually takes our mail, so there is no receipt to stamp. But at the time the examiners said this would satisfy them. We have not had another examine.
Posted By: Snowgirl

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/29/05 06:30 PM

Does anyone know if there is a charge to use e-filing for CTR's?
Posted By: devsfan

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/29/05 09:29 PM

I use e-filing for SARs, not CTRs, and there is no charge for this. I have to assume that there would be no charge for e-filing CTRs as well.

Re: Mailing CTRs to the IRS - 09/30/05 02:25 PM

Send e-files! There is no charge and you get an extra 10 days to file. If you are like me and have very few to file, I will file about once a week. Also, you get real time confirmation that it was received.

Seadevil