314(a) Review

Posted By: CrashDavis

314(a) Review - 02/23/06 05:57 PM

Every two weeks I download from the FinCen website the 314(a) subject list and send to several people in our bank to verify if we are doing business with these people. I save this list of names from the FinCen website on my computer. It is password protected and when I send it via e-mail it is also password protected. I ask for responses from the people to let me know if they have any hits or not. I save their responses and place on a spreadsheet the date of the responses.

Should I destroy the file of names and have the people indicate to me they destroy the file also? I heard regulators have written up banks for keeping these files. If it is ok to keep, then how long should I keep them?

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: 314(a) Review - 02/23/06 08:59 PM

Your IT Department should be checking your customer base and providing you with the results.
Other Department heads should not be receiving the list.
The list requires the highest confidentiality.
I keep them until my next exam and then destroy.
Posted By: Dance129

Re: 314(a) Review - 02/23/06 09:21 PM

MagicCity - That is not ture. At my institution, IT does nothing with this. It is all the responsibility of the compliance department.
Baseballfan - We keep our results for the time required by our document destruction policy (as it varies by state). However, the list that we search against is usually saved for about a year and we have not been written up for it.
Posted By: C_D

Re: 314(a) Review - 02/23/06 09:50 PM

Our IT department also has nothing to do with this process. I dont keep the list at all. I have a document that I sign and date whether or not we had any hits or not and I keep the emails from the others who check their respective departments.
Posted By: BSA4LIFE

Re: 314(a) Review - 02/24/06 12:44 AM

I download the list to my desktop and then upload it to my AML software to search our database. The software prints a certification for verification signing. I then delete the list from my desktop. I had an auditor caution me because I was not empting my trash after deletion. He said the lists were not to be saved or shared.
Posted By: Kitty

Re: 314(a) Review - 02/24/06 01:45 PM

When the OTS was here for our BSA Exam they strongly recommened that I stop retaining a copy of the list. They said that I had secured it well but they did not think I should keep it. When I go to the website each week I print the screen that shows the list by date. I also have a form I fill out noting the FinCEN Tracking numbers and all the areas searched.
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: 314(a) Review - 02/24/06 06:36 PM

Dance 129 - It may not be true for your institution.
It is for mine.
The IT staff scrub the database and produce a report of possible matches for Compliance to review.
BSA and Beyonds process is another way I have done it.