Suspicious??

Posted By: banker1976

Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 02:58 PM

We've a customer who receives ACH credits to their account from their PayPal account and then wire transfers out the same amount to another party. This has occurred several times over the past month or so. We've no reason to suspect anything unusual about the customer but some might say this could be considered kiting or some other type of unusual violation. Just wondering what others thought about this.
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 03:36 PM

I think it would depend on who the other party is.
Could it be a credit card company?
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MagicCity
I think it would depend on who the other party is.
Could it be a credit card company?

Magic is on the right path. Who is the third party? Furthermore, what type of business is your customer in? Would this activity be considered "normal" for that type of business?
Posted By: Fraudman CFCI

Re: Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 04:32 PM

I also would look a the transaction volume and dollar amounts. If substantial, (out of the norm) there very well could be a problem and I would probably file a SAR.
Posted By: banker1976

Re: Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 04:48 PM

The third party is an individual. The transactions may be legitimate. Our Wire Transfer department brought it to my attention that there had been transfers out in the same amounts as ACH credits in from PayPal.
Posted By: TXBSA

Re: Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 04:59 PM

Could it be that your customer is selling items for people using their own ebay account and then paying the people after transfering those funds to his account? I have heard of businesses that do this. Their profits probably stay in the paypal account or are transfered to some other account.
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: Suspicious?? - 11/20/06 06:38 PM

Is it the same individual each time?