OFAC checkers?

Posted By: ComplyOhMy

OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 08:51 PM

Do any of you know of any OFAC checkers out there?
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 09:05 PM

I prefer Sanctions Chess, myself.

Seriously, though, there are tons of them out, in pretty much every price and feature range.

I shudder to think of the conditions under which a financial institution would, in 2007, be wondering where they could find OFAC checking services.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 09:07 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand the last part of your reply but thanks.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 09:18 PM

OFAC checking has been a necessary part of banking since November of 2001. 2007 seems a little late to the party.
Posted By: BeachGirl

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 09:35 PM

Just to name a couple: Bridger/Choice Point and
Chex Systems do OFAC.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 09:47 PM

Thank you BeachGirl.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/05/07 09:48 PM

AML-Barbarian, your sarcasm was completely unnecessary. You have no idea the reasoning for my request. You might want to remember that next time you post a reply.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/06/07 12:33 AM

Yes, I might.
Posted By: Retread

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/07/07 07:11 PM

That's okay ComplyOhMy. If AML-Barbarian thinks checking for OFAC just started in 2001, he/she has more problems than you do.
Posted By: Sing A Little

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/07/07 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
Yes, I might.

IMO this type of attitude is totally inappropriate when addressing issues in a business thread. I'd save it for the cooler.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/07/07 07:19 PM

ComplyOhMy, if you are looking for a place to check a few names through OFAC, try

http://apps.nasd.com/rulesregulation/ofac/nasd/Default.aspx

It works very well, and you can do more than one name at a time.
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/07/07 09:37 PM

Retread beat me to it. My FI uses the NASD one too and we have had no issues.
Posted By: ComplianceO

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/08/07 06:02 PM

We use Accuity. http://www.accuitysolutions.com.

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/09/07 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
OFAC checking has been a necessary part of banking since November of 2001. 2007 seems a little late to the party.

How long has OFAC been a requirement?
Those of you with an interest in genealogy can trace OFAC's family tree back to the War of 1812 when the Secretary of the Treasury administered sanctions against England for harassing American sailors. During the United States' next war, the Civil War, Congress passed a "Trading With The Enemy Act" (TWEA) which blocked transactions with the Confederacy and called for the forfeiture of goods involved in those transactions.
This act was modernized in 1917 as a result of World War I. In 1940, while Germany was invading Norway, the Office of Foreign Funds Control (OFFC) was established to administer the TWEA to prevent Nazi use of holdings of occupied countries. OFAC was formally created as a successor to OFFC in December 1950 when China entered the Korean War and President Truman acted to block all Chinese and North Korean assets subject to United States Jurisdiction.
Posted By: ahou

Re: OFAC checkers? - 03/09/07 01:03 PM

We use Watchdog and have bren very satisfied. We recently purchased Patriot Officer, which has OFAC tracking, but it doesn't check the last name (we are sure it is an interface problem) p.s. No question is a stupid question. Feel free to ask. It's the best way to learn.