CD Service?

Posted By: TMatt87

CD Service? - 08/14/17 07:09 PM

We have an employee who is on the Board of our local CASA (court appointed special advocates) group. CASA provides advocates and temporary guardians for abused and neglected children. The area covered by the group is mostly middle income tracts, with a few moderates. In talking with the employee, a significant number of the children come from lower income households, but he doesn't have the data to back up that claim.

Would this be something that could qualify as a CD Service?
Posted By: mtngrrl

Re: CD Service? - 08/14/17 07:39 PM

We've had CASA hours accepted as Underserved/Economically Disadvantaged. I had an examiner give me his perspective that regardless of where they come from, an organization that helps people who need shelter or guardianship are obviously disadvantaged, regardless of where they came from. A kid removed from a wealthy home doesn't likely have their own resources, and an adult escaping from an abusive situation probably doesn't have resources if she turns to a shelter. One examiner's opinion, but it provided some good justification language. YMMV.
Posted By: S Ross

Re: CD Service? - 08/14/17 08:50 PM

I just had my CRA exam last month and got credit for this service.
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: CD Service? - 08/14/17 10:42 PM

Thank you both for your input.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: CD Service? - 08/15/17 03:28 PM

I also supported my credit for service hours and donations with the school district free and reduced lunch program data.