Flea collars

Posted By: Retired DQ

Flea collars - 06/11/12 12:25 PM

I just wanted to let pet owners know to be careful of flea collars. My 18 lb cat got a collar put on him because he likes to go out to eat grass, he doesn't hang outside for too ling, but we felt he (and us) should be protected from fleas.

We did it late last week, and on Friday, he started acting really strange and spooked and had taken to hiding under the utility sink in the basement. This is not normal behavior for him, he is generally always hanging around me. He was lethargic and didn't eat or drink. He's never been sick, so we didn't want to make him endure a trip to the vet...

We thought about it, while I was trying to coax him to drink water, he was vomiting and pooped on my bed, NEVER has he done that... we decided to take the flea collar off and he started coming around. Today he is back to his old self and climbed into the shower with me this morning. smile

So, I started googling cats and flea collars and came adross this website. I almost fell off my chair when I read some of the articles.

If you flea collar your cat, you may be interested:

http://www.hartzvictims.org/
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 12:36 PM

I used the hartz flea stuff you put on the dog's neck a few years ago. Our basenji had an allergic reaction in the middle of the night and it was awful. You might talk to your vet about getting the 'good' stuff for your cat. I think it's worth the extra cost - especially if your pet does better with it AND doesn't bring fleas into your house.

Thanks for posting this Deek and making everyone aware.

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 12:47 PM

Good idea Skits, thanks. smile I am just so glad he's back to normal.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 12:54 PM

Hummm..I'll have to try to remember to look that up at home. My youngun has flea collars on 4 teenage kittens. They seem fine with them...but now I'm curious/worried about it.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 01:12 PM

Flea collars are evil. Either get the "good" flea stuff (Advantage, etc) or just rub a little Sevin dust onto their backs and treat your yard.

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 01:22 PM

EPA to Increase Restrictions on Flea and Tick Products Cautions consumers to use products with extra care
Release Date: 03/17/2010
Contact Information: Dale Kemery kemery.dale@epa.gov 202-564-7839 202-564-4355

WASHINGTON – Due to a significant increase in adverse incidents, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is taking a series of actions to increase the safety of spot-on pesticide products for flea and tick control for cats and dogs. Immediately, EPA will begin reviewing labels to determine which ones need stronger and clearer labeling statements. Next, EPA will develop more stringent testing and evaluation requirements for both existing and new products. EPA expects these steps will help prevent adverse reactions. In dogs and cats that can include skin effects, such as irritation, redness, or gastrointestinal problems that include vomiting or diarrhea, or effects to the nervous system, such as trembling, appearing depressed or seizures—from pet spot-on products.

“EPA is committed to better protecting the health and safety of pets and families in all communities across our nation,” said Steve Owens, assistant administrator of EPA’s Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances. “New restrictions will be placed on these products, and pet owners need to carefully read and follow all labeling before exposing your pet to a pesticide.”

Following the 2008 increase in incident reports, EPA received additional information from the pet spot-on pesticide registrants and others and began an intensive evaluation of these products. Today, EPA is reporting the results of this evaluation, and taking steps to address the spike in reported incidents.

Among immediate actions that EPA will pursue are:

· Requiring manufacturers of spot-on pesticide products to improve labeling, making instructions clearer to prevent product misuse.

· Requiring more precise label instructions to ensure proper dosage per pet weight.

· Requiring clear markings to differentiate between dog and cat products, and disallowing similar brand names for dog and cat products. Similar names may have led to misuse.

· Requiring additional changes for specific products, as needed, based on product-specific evaluations.

· When new products are registered, granting only conditional, time-limited registrations to allow for post-marketing product surveillance. If there are incidents of concern associated with the product, EPA will take appropriate regulatory action.

· Restricting the use of certain inert ingredients that EPA finds may contribute to the incidents.

· Launching a consumer information campaign to explain new label directions and to help users avoid making medication errors.

In addition, to improve the regulatory oversight of pet products, EPA will require more standardized post-market surveillance reporting on adverse effects, require submission of more sales information so the agency can better evaluate incident rates, and bring up-to-date the scientific data requirements on pre- and post-market testing so they are more in line with the Food and Drug Administration’s requirements.

Flea and tick products can be appropriate treatments for protecting pets and public health because fleas and ticks can transmit disease to animals and humans. While most people use the products with no harm to their pets, the agency's analysis determined that smaller dogs tend to be disproportionately affected by some products and that the exposure of cats to some dog products is a concern.

People should carefully follow label directions and monitor their pets for any signs of an adverse reaction after application, particularly when using these products for the first time.

EPA recommends that owners consult a veterinarian about the best way to protect their pets from fleas and ticks or whether pesticides are needed, especially before using any product on weak, aged, medicated, sick, pregnant or nursing pets, or on pets that have previously shown signs of sensitivity to pesticide products.

EPA is coordinating these actions with Health Canada as Canada also identified similar concerns about the use of spot-on flea and tick products last year, and with the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Veterinary Medicine.

The agency is inviting public comment on how best to implement these new measures. A Federal Register notice announcing the opening of a docket will be published on March 19, 2010. The docket number is EPA-HQ-OPP-2010-0229.

EPA’s report on the evaluation of products and incidents is available at: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/petproductseval.html

EPA recommends that veterinarians use the National Pesticide Information Center’s Veterinary Pesticide Adverse Effects Portal to report incidents: http://npic.orst.edu/vet

More information on pet products and safety tips: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/pets.htm

Posted By: B_F

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 02:57 PM

If it is for pets, and you can buy it at a grocery store, it's not worth buying.

Honestly, you're better off giving your dog/cat a bath using Head & Shoulders than using a flea collar or any of the grocery store flea remedies. It repels fleas, but does nothing for ticks (which are REALLY bad this year). Something about the zinc.

If you really want to protect your pet, go with something you buy from your vet or a pet store. It'll cost you more, but it won't be toxic to your pet, or ineffective. I recommend Advantix for dogs and Frontline for cats.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 06:03 PM

Look into cinnamon. I've heard sprinkling cinnamon on your pets before a walk or hiek can ward fleas. Sure made Boeing a pretty color and smell good too. Puka, though, just looked REALLY dirty! laugh

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 06:12 PM

I dunno about that, he's an all black cat.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 06:24 PM

The breeder suggested putting vinegar in their water. Eventually it will repel fleas. I use comfortis for the dog advantix for the cats.
Posted By: The Minion

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 06:28 PM

Give the dogs Brewers yeast with garlic. It is all natural, and safe for everyone involved. No bad reactions, plus no ticks or fleas.
Posted By: B_F

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: waldensouth
The breeder suggested putting vinegar in their water. Eventually it will repel fleas. I use comfortis for the dog advantix for the cats.
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? I thought advantix was toxic to cats?

http://www.vetinfo.com/advantix-for-cats.html
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 07:29 PM

But, isn't garlic toxic to dogs and cats? I'm sure it would have to be in excessive quantities but I would still be careful there.
Posted By: Phoenix

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 07:47 PM

I've heard horror stories about cats getting any anti-flea/tick product meant for dogs, and also horror stories about kittens getting anything meant for any adult cat (let alone dog). We use only the "good stuff" and because heartworm can affect cats, the product that also provides heartworm protection.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 07:49 PM

Deek's cat isn't really alive. Dante died years ago and Eddie had him stuffed. He just moves the stuffed cat around the house and occasionally into the yard (or shower) just to freak her out....

Seriously, any dog or cat can have allergic reactions to even the vet prescribed flea and tick meds. Just find one that works and stick with it. Observe them for a couple days after application to watch for lethargy or odd behaviour.

Rumor has it that Dante's flea collar has been fashioned into a necklace for Eddie's birthday....
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 08:22 PM

Our dog was on frontline for years, and we switched to K9 Advantix since it is supposedly better-it really irritated her skin so we immediately switched back.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Flea collars - 06/11/12 10:00 PM

As for my cat, he's been on Advantage since he was 8 weeks old and never had an adverse reaction to it.

Re: Flea collars - 06/12/12 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: thomasj
Deek's cat isn't really alive. Dante died years ago and Eddie had him stuffed. He just moves the stuffed cat around the house and occasionally into the yard (or shower) just to freak her out....

Seriously, any dog or cat can have allergic reactions to even the vet prescribed flea and tick meds. Just find one that works and stick with it. Observe them for a couple days after application to watch for lethargy or odd behaviour.

Rumor has it that Dante's flea collar has been fashioned into a necklace for Eddie's birthday....

Quote:
My poor Eddie...

laugh
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Flea collars - 06/12/12 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Deek
My cat got a collar put on him because he likes to go out to eat grass

I put mine out as coyote bait

Re: Flea collars - 06/12/12 01:06 PM

:faints:
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Flea collars - 06/12/12 01:41 PM

Glad you figured it out and he's feeling better!

Re: Flea collars - 06/12/12 02:04 PM

thanks, egb. smile
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Flea collars - 06/13/12 06:37 PM

Ok Deek, what's with the new name?

Re: Flea collars - 06/13/12 06:38 PM

It is my Soap Opera name. laugh
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Flea collars - 06/14/12 07:22 PM

Oh, I skipped that thread.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 01:22 PM

What is the best Flea/Tick for dogs? Our vet is selling us Frontline, but was wondering if there is a better treatment?

My parents give their dog a pill (Can't recall the name right now).
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 01:42 PM

My vet recommends Frontline and I don't buy it from her.

We had talked about some of the newer treatments earlier this year and she doesn't have as much confidence in them and also feels they haven't been on the market long enough to be know if there are any long term side effects.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 02:35 PM

I get Advantix II for the dogs and Frontline for the cats through Jeffers Pet Supply.

I also agree with hmdagal's vet on the all-in-one pills being too new to trust just yet. I hope they work out well, though - it would certainly be more convenient. smile

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 02:48 PM

A good website to compare the different flea meds available. I've used both, but am currently using Advantix because it repels fleas and ticks in addition to killing them. It also kills mosquitoes.

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 03:59 PM

A good website to compare the different flea meds available. I've used both, but am currently using Advantix because it repels fleas and ticks in addition to killing them. It also kills mosquitoes.

how long have you had this flea and tick problem?

you should bathe more

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers

you should bathe more

Oddly enough, it's been ongoing since you visited. I fumigated the guest room, but there are still stragglers....
Posted By: Phoenix

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 04:09 PM

We/I use the shopping comparison websites and have gotten the meds from as far away as Australia. G'day, and we figure that the Aussies as well as the US have decent controls in place to ensure the safety of the products.

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 04:11 PM

you should bathe more

Oddly enough, it's been ongoing since you visited. I fumigated the guest room, but there are still stragglers....

sorry, I shouldn't have slept naked

but look on the bright side, at least I didn't sleep walk

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 05:05 PM

eek

Quote:
My poor thread

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
eek

Quote:
My poor bread

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 06:04 PM

grin

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 08:15 PM

you should bathe more

sorry, I shouldn't have slept naked

but look on the bright side, at least I didn't sleep walk

I'm having a sheet and mattress burning party this weekend if anyone would like to attend. It's BYOMB (Bring Your Own Mind Bleach) laugh

Re: Flea collars - 06/15/12 08:46 PM

I must be getting less offensive, I thought for sure you would just torch the whole house