Yay me, I think.

Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 06:04 PM

Anyone want to hang out with the newly diagnosed asthmatic non-sleeping non-smoker and her stash of popcicles? grin

At my age (undiclosed) after being a smoker for 34 years I was diagnosed with asthma today. Bad.

C-T scan of my lungs show they are good. Yay! Very lucky

I have had to quit smoking. It's been since Memorial Weekend with no cig and one week with no e-cig. Very Good and will continue to be very good. I can do this since I find that I am rather partial to breathing.

I am on massive doses of steriods to survive since my first bout wouldn't clear up and ended up severe enough that they wanted to put me in the hospital last week. (We are having a very strange weather pattern here) I talked them into not admitting me. Side affect of so much steriod use is no sleep. I had a nice 1 hour nap last nite.

I now have a craving for popcicles to replace the cigs. Bad grin

In the last few weeks since this has been going on I have regained 8 pounds of the 15 that I was so proud of loosing. cry I'm getting back on that treadmill tonite. Not like I will be sleeping?!
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 06:13 PM

8 pounds vs no smoking. Take the 8 lbs and be happy it is healther (and cheaper) than smoking. Best of luck. At least now you now have a good reason for the no sleeping other than stress.
Posted By: bOaty

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 06:16 PM

Well thank goodness that your lungs are good!!

Sorry about the weight gain but you can get that back off, the imnportant thing is you haven't had a cig since Memorial Day!!

Congrats!!! smile

Hope the asthma subsides (as well as the steroid use) and that you get some sleep soon, OB.
smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 07:15 PM

Thanks. I know I will be much better for it if those around me let me survive this!
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 07:20 PM

Congrats on all that is good from that Okie!!! (and I see plenty of good there)
You already know we are having plenty of heat and wind, so stick with the treadmill and hydrate.
Odd is right, the 8 is a perfectly acceptable trade for the nicotine in coffin nails.
You have plently of time now, so enjoy the breathing and work your way into it.
Congrats again!
Posted By: Pup

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 08:30 PM

Good attitude...keep it up. smile
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 08:58 PM

so, die of obesity instead of cancer? Heck, you don't have to do eitehr. Blue Bell makes a zero calorie popsicle, and it is quite yummy. Plus, on the treadmill puts you on the right path. Just remember to up your water intake to 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds of weight (so, if you weigh 150 pounds, drinnk at least 75 ounces of water per day).

If you drink soda, even diet, cut those out too. They are horrible for you...

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:01 PM

If coke can be used to remove grease and paint from metal items how bad can it be to drink?

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:15 PM

Thanks all. You help and I appreciate you.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:18 PM

Ummmm...Okie, check you tagline. laugh
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:19 PM

HG, you may have put your foot in it now. No soda?? No sweet tea??? Yikes, I'm steering clear.
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:20 PM

Seriously, we are all very proud and cheering OB on to victory!!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta
Ummmm...Okie, check you tagline. laugh

Uh, didn't you know? You peeps are the village. grin

Thanks.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 09:52 PM

grin
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/02/12 10:04 PM

You can do it, Okie!
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 01:20 PM

Way to go Okie! My mom was a 3 pack a day smoker for 40+ years and didn't quit until the Dr. gave her an ultimatum that she would only have a year to live if she didn't quit. Thankfully she did quit and we had her around for another 13 years before she died from COPD due to her smoking.

Praying for your continued non-smoking.
Posted By: Quatro

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 07:40 PM

Okie, it is amazing what happens to you when you quit smoking. Personally, haven't had one myself since November 26 - regular or e-cig.

You actually start to taste food again; your sense of smell increases (sometimes good, sometimes bad); your energy level increases (helps with the dreaded 8 lbs); your clothes won't stink anymore (never realized how bad they were until I quit), the list goes on and on.

Just remember, your body healing itself is a process and it will take some time. But every day you will feel better than you did the day before! Congrats on quitting, you can do this!!!
Posted By: manimal

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 07:50 PM

What Quatro said! It only gets better after you quit! Way to go Okie! Keep it up! grin
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 07:57 PM

Almost inspiring me to quit dipping. Almost.

Congrats and good luck Okie.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 08:21 PM

I'm hanging in there. But I don't have a choice at this time since I can't breath. It's the dang habitual that is the killer:

-Get in the car - light up
-Get home, change, get ready to go out and water plants - light up
-Almost ready to get to [where ever I'm going] - oohhh better light up. Don't know when you might get the chance again.
-Finished eating - light up
-Wake up - light up

I just have to remind myself that I am not wanting a cig. I want that seemless routine back. I don't want this hitch in my get along.

So, if I am seeing it this new way and I am only dealing with the habitual - I can lick this.

But, then again, what do I know. I am so hopped up on all the different steriods I am taking that I haven't slept a total of 5 hours in three days. Wheeeeeee.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Quatro
Okie, it is amazing what happens to you when you quit smoking. Personally, haven't had one myself since November 26 - regular or e-cig.

You actually start to taste food again; your sense of smell increases (sometimes good, sometimes bad); your energy level increases (helps with the dreaded 8 lbs); your clothes won't stink anymore (never realized how bad they were until I quit), the list goes on and on.

Depends if you are around Peepers or not. smirk
Posted By: Overboard

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/03/12 08:40 PM

Good for you. I quit smoking 5 years ago I have gained 10 pounds per year but that is my own fault. I can't blame it on stopping smoking if I would have got off my @$$ and walked on the tread mill like you are doing this wouldnt have happened.
Keep up the good work and excercise!!
Posted By: B_F

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/04/12 01:34 PM

If you're binging on popsicles, go to Target, get the little popsicle makers, and make your own with either sugar free Kool-aid, lemonaide, or any of the non-carbonated Zero type drinks. Then you can control your sugar intake and still get your fix smile
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/05/12 12:23 PM

Best of luck, feel better and good for you on quitting the evil habit!
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/05/12 12:39 PM

The Steroids will make you gain weight...so maybe once you are off of those...you'll lose back down to where you were anyway. wink

<<<---still smoking and kicking myself daily for it. mad

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/05/12 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
It's the dang habitual that is the killer:

-Get in the car - light up
-Get home, change, get ready to go out and water plants - light up
-Almost ready to get to [where ever I'm going] - oohhh better light up. Don't know when you might get the chance again.
-Finished eating - light up
-Wake up - light up

A friend of mine, who was a big smoker as in 2-3 packs a day, quit a couple years ago and said the habitual ones were the worst. He kept a straw in his truck so when he got in he had something to chew on. Hanging out in his yard grilling or whatever, he always kept sunflower seeds close. And going out to eat, as soon as dinner was over, he started chewing gum (sugarless of course). He saved a (as in singular) cigarette from his last pack and kept it on him at all times. Whenever he had a craving he would ask himself if things were bad enough to smoke his last one. After a couple minutes going back and forth in his head, he said the craving subsided and eventually the cravings stopped completely.

By this point the nicotine is out of your system, it's all psychological now. They say it takes two weeks to form a habit or break you of one, so just think how close you are now to breaking those old habits but making walking on the treadmill your newer healthier one!
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/05/12 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
Best of luck, feel better and good for you on quitting the evil habit!

I can't wait to read when you post that you quit.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/06/12 11:38 AM

shocked wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/06/12 12:17 PM

My grandfater, whom I idolized, was a habitual smoker (to the tune of nearly a carton a day). He lit a cigarette in the morning and continued to light each successive cigrette with the current one. He stopped a meal time if it was at the house, but continue at the cafe....yes, during the meal.
He weighed 78 pounds when we buried him.
Sort of killed much desire for cigarettes for me.
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/06/12 05:47 PM

Way to Go, Okie Banker! Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in this life. The benefits FAR outweigh the temporary madness/frustration. I am years and years smoke-free now, and it's amazing how much better I feel, how many fewer colds and upper respiratory illnesses I get. Everything smells and tastes better! Hang in there!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/09/12 01:30 PM

I'm hanging in there. The last 10 days weren't no Fourth of July picnic! I finally took a few days off since I was going crazy between all the steriods I was on and with the no smoking heebie jeebies.

I am much better today and still smoke free. ::insert snappy little happy dance here::

Thanks for the support everyone. It helps!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/11/12 09:11 PM

Well done, Okie! Proud of you. smile
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 11:49 AM

Yay you! Keep up the good work. I've been smoke free for over 10 years now and honestly the thought of smoking now makes me almost sick. I know that may not be normal, but it's working for me.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 01:19 PM

Okie, you are doing great!! Hang tough, you have done so much and the reward is so worth it!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 03:02 PM

Thanks y'all. It is two weeks today and I am really doing ok on the smoking side. My allergies induced asthma is kicking my butt along with the steriods. I'm having a tougher time with the steroids, which I hate, than the non-smoking, if you can believe it. Between the no sleep, the "head in the clouds" feeling of the allergies and the constant hunger of the steriods matched with the constant wanting to eat to keep my hands and mouth busy of the non-smoking it's a wonder I'm not Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

But I'm ok. The sun'll come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 03:08 PM

Heeeere's Okie! laugh

This too shall pass.... smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 03:11 PM

Thanks y'all. It is two weeks today and I am really doing ok on the smoking side. My allergies induced asthma is kicking my butt along with the steriods. I'm having a tougher time with the steroids, which I hate, than the non-smoking, if you can believe it. Between the no sleep, the "head in the clouds" feeling of the allergies and the constant hunger of the steriods matched with the constant wanting to eat to keep my hands and mouth busy of the non-smoking it's a wonder I'm not Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

But I'm ok. The sun'll come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar.

keep up the good work.

Have you thought of some type of exercise? It may be tough with the asthma but may pay off in the future.

Since you are on steroids tour de france may be appropriate. laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 03:33 PM

LOL EdAudit. I am doing the treadmill and drinking my required water.
Posted By: La. Lady

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/12/12 03:55 PM

Okie....my son was 6 years old and came home with a "contract" to have a parent sign...It was for Lent....Since we are Catholics...I thought...."Okay, I'll sign the thing". This was done about a week before Lent started. I thought...I'll slowly "cut back" and then when Lent does kick in, I will be ready.....During that week...I found myself counting my cigs to ensure that I would have enough to last the day.....I noticed how many I wasted....Then I realized how much that one thin pencil shape actually "CONTROLLED" my life. I worried about leaving home or the office without them.... One day during the week of 'preparation' I decided...This is is....I'm done...I kept a carton of cigarettes in the cabinet for 24 months....unopened......My son is 34...I haven't had one since.....Yes I gained weight.....but later lost it......

You take one thing at a time......You will gain...accept that....but you will be able to tackle that problem once you have conquered this one.

Best of luck to you.....I'm betting that you will do fine...With the money you'll save from not buying cigerattes, you can buy new clothes for the weight gained....Then lose the weight....You finally get to the weight you would like to be then age sets in and you gain again....(The weight thing is a harder roller coaster than the cig thing.....)

Keep up that fantastic attitude.....You will be the winner.....

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/19/12 05:15 PM

Three week mark today. My peeps here say that my attitude is very good. (I checked with them before posting this.) grin
Posted By: NotPerfect

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 12:28 PM

Okie, are you sure they aren't just saying that in fear? smile

Keep it up! Soon the weeks will just be flipping by and you'll lose track of how long it's been.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 01:14 PM

Congrats, Okie. My hubby is at nearly 8 weeks now, and when I asked him how long it had been he had to stop and count. grin

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 01:28 PM

Way to go Okie!! You are doing so great! smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 01:34 PM

Thanks.

LOL NotPerfect - You don't know my peeps. I've got me a whole department of outspoken and brutally honest ladies here.

Congrats to your hubby Becca. 2 months is a huge milestone!
Posted By: cbu3

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:05 PM

Yea Okie! It's a great accomplishment! Keep on keepin' on!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:09 PM

Any advice on how to quit? I don't smoke (at least, not often), but i'm a 30 year dipper and cold turkey just doesn't seem very possible. But the stuff is outrageously priced anymore (at today's prices i spend about $1700/yr. on the stuff...multiply that by 30 and what....$51,000....that was painful to type) and i know the health benefits would be good too.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:15 PM

Do you mean like a social smoker? I would ask: Is there something that triggers it? Drinking? Going out with certain friends who smoke? Removing those stimuli might help. OR, at least, being aware of what triggers it and then finding other ways to keep yourself busy so you don't smoke! laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:17 PM

I shoulda been more clear: smoking isn't my problem....about the only time i smoke anymore is when i drink (very rarely) or play poker with the guys (which also involves drinking and is also very rarely anymore). Dipping is my problem.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:25 PM

My husband has tried several things over the years, including Chantix once, but what worked the longest in the past and helped him quit this time were the stepped-series patches. You use the chart on the back to figure out what "step" to start with and then work your way down through the levels from there according to their schedule.

He also chews gum like a fiend.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:35 PM

I've been curious about that kinda stuff and wondered if it worked just as well for dippers as smokers. I've done both and dipping (at least for me) has been way more addictive.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:40 PM

I made him quit dipping in high school simply by refusing to kiss him until he stopped that nasty mess. smile

ETA: yes, I married my high school sweetheart

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:46 PM

Unfortunately, it didn't bother my ex-wife nor any of my girlfriends since that i dipped, so i've never had any pressure to quit in that way.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:48 PM

Well, there you go: date a girl who finds it disgusting. wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca

Brilliant! wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:51 PM

My husband is a dipper too. He quits every January 1st and sometimes he tries during the year too. Last year he made it about 4 months. It is hard to quit.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 05:55 PM

The longest i've ever quit was about a day and a half.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 06:27 PM

If you made it a day and a half and couldn't do any more, that was probably the nicotine withdrawal kicking in. Try cutting back gradually, cutting out one dip at a time, for instance the mid-morning dip. When you get used to that, cut out another one, then another and another. Keep doing that until you are down to 1 dip per day. Another way is to take smaller pinches. Both of those will help the body get used to less and less nicotine.

When you're down to 1 dip per day, and you're ready to cut it out completely, try sunflower seeds or mints or something along those lines that will give you the same sensation as dipping. Couple that with a step-down nicotine patch system, and I bet you have a decent chance of beating the habit!

If you fall off the horse and dip again, make a note what the trigger was, and avoid that in the future...especially if its RESPA!! grin grin grin
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 06:29 PM

There was a gentleman in the church I attended when I lived elsewhere. He was a dipper - wife, 2 kids. Wasn't that old - in his 30's. Throat and Mouth cancer -not pretty. Half his face was removed by surgery trying to save his life and he got to eat with a straw for the remainder of his time on earth - which wasn't that long. If that doesn't convince you, I'm not sure what will.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 06:45 PM

Quatro, thanks for the sentiment. That plan sounds like the plan for me (and kinda what i've envisioned). I am at the point in my life now that i really only truly enjoy 1 or 2 dips a day, but of course, i don't stop at 1 or 2 dips a day. I've actually been dieting some lately and i've noticed my "consumption" has gone down slightly, so i guess that's a good thing.

Walden, i guess it's like a lot of things....i think we think "that won't be me"....otherwise, i don't guess anybody would ever start smoking, dipping, eating too much, etc. But i do appreciate the attempt and hopefully i can do it.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 06:50 PM

The hubby says his motivation to quit smoking this time was that he suddenly looked down at his half-smoked cig and thought, "Wow, this really is gross. I don't want to do this anymore." He threw out the rest of that pack and went to the store to buy patches.
Posted By: CountryGal

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 06:53 PM

Good luck raitchjay!!! I quit smoking this year and it's hard. I've fallen off the wagon a couple times when I'm drinking and have had one or two but luckily it hasn't made me start back up all of the time. I think now it is all mental for me because I'm past the cravings like when I first quit. Now it's if I'm around other people that are smoking it makes me want one. I'm pretty good about just walking away or going somewhere else until they are finished. It's not easy but it can be done!!! I have faith in you! smile
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Originally Posted By: RR Becca

Brilliant! wink

laugh

I can't wait to hear back from married dudes that go home today, screech the car into the driveway, slam open the door and exclaim "Great news! I finally figured out how to quit smoking/dipping!". Then when she inevitably asks "are you going with Chantix or the patch?", they say "doesn't matter, just get the heck out!" laugh laugh

But seriously, good luck to you guys and gals that are quitting. As a wise man once told me, "You can dooo it!" wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 07:12 PM

I've already got my personal in my mind: "Wanted....fun-loving girl, smart, pretty.....hates guys who dip."

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 07:34 PM

How you doin'?

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/20/12 07:57 PM

Excellent one CountryGal!

I got in the car, recently, with someone that asked "Do you mind if I roll down the window and smoke?" and I responded "I just as soon you not roll down the window!" grin Didn't bother me in any way. It was interesting. I can sit here and have a craving for no reason but sitting around someone smoking didn't "set me off".

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/23/12 02:29 PM

I'm cruisin' for a major meltdown. I can feel it. The C.D. player in my vehicle broke Friday. My commute is 43 miles and I listen to books on C.D. 100% of my drive.

crazy cry

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/23/12 04:17 PM

Okie, hang in there! You are so close to a month you can taste it! Don't give up now.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/23/12 04:21 PM

Hang tough!! Because you know if you breakdown now, that first puff may feel good, but you will feel guilty and within seconds it will taste you have a t*rd in your mouth. sick

You are doin great!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/23/12 05:23 PM

Chew some gum, brush your teeth, distract yourself. Don't light up! Get the CD player fixed ASAP or get yourself a cheap portable CD player with speakers so you can continue listening en route.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/23/12 05:35 PM

I'm hanging. To quote Tom Petty - I won't back down.

I know I can do this. Yessiree, I can do this. Wanna know how many sugar free popsicles I eat? Let's just say if they had a popsicle-eating contest like that Hot Dog eating contest I would be a shoo-in. crazy I found the bestest sugar free Italian Ices too. They are pretty tasty.

Off to get some gum. Thanks all.

I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 03:04 PM

I've made it one month. Still waiting for the "it gets easier" part but hanging in there just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 03:18 PM

::high five::

Congratulations! You are doing great!!

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 03:21 PM

smile

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 03:40 PM

Congrats Okie!!! Continued prayers that you stay strong.

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 04:13 PM

YAY OKIE!!!!!
If Hannibal could conquer the Alps, you can do this!!
Hey, its all I could come up with at the moment. smile
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 04:25 PM

WTG Okie! grin

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 08:25 PM

Way to go Okie!!! I am proud of you. Prayers continue for endurance and strength.
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: I am a non smoker - 07/26/12 10:05 PM

Congrats on your one month anniversary - job well done!! It will get easier eventually and it is SO worth it.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 02:56 PM

6 WEEKS free. I'm going so good. It's really about 90% a non-event and 10% of everything BOL would delete.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 03:14 PM

Far (censored) out!!! :-)

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 03:30 PM

Way to go Okie!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm proud of you. smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 03:40 PM

Way to go, Nonsmoker! You are amazing, and you've accomplished something REALLY hard! Be proud of yourself; I know I am.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 04:33 PM

Congrats, Okie. Having the self-discipline to do something difficult is very admirable. I think that's what makes these Olympians so special. It's not the 12 second race, it's the commitment it takes to face training every day. Keep your eye on the prize.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 05:17 PM

If you do smoke, the Trilogy of Terror Zuni fetish doll will come out from under your bed and get you while you sleep.....

Just doing my part to keep you motivated; smoked for over 20 years and gave it up (again) last year. You can do it; we can help. LOL...now I sound like a Home Depot advertisement.....
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 05:27 PM

Good for you Okie!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/09/12 05:28 PM

Way to go Okie!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/16/12 01:57 PM

7 weeks. I'm doing so very good. Not a one slip.

Just have that one slight problem. Really just a tiny blip on my radar. Nobody probably notices anyway. Everyone irratates the c-rap out of me because it appears that I am the only one that can do things right.

I might need a grouchy intervention. :sigh: Since this phase just appeared I'm sure that this too shall pass.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/16/12 02:01 PM

Yay for Okie!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/16/12 02:15 PM

Okie, find a vent. You know you are getting that way so you will monitor yourself and that's good. You'll be fine with all the stupid carp that you can see coming. But its that one person that does something so incredibly dumb that you couldnt be ready for that will trip your hammer. So dont wait. Find something now that you can do a little release on. For me, its one of my exercises (hitting a tire with a sledge hammer). But it could be anything, golf, racquetball, batting practice, a heavy bag (seeing the theme here). It will really help.
BTW, you ARE doing great!!!
Posted By: dottiec

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/16/12 02:47 PM

Okie- Maybe you need the bumper sticker I saw the other day- WARNING- Random B-tch Moments!

Congrats on the seven weeks!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/16/12 04:36 PM

"Everyone irratates the c-rap out of me because it appears that I am the only one that can do things right."

Find one person a day and make them cry. Yesterday mine was the person that called my house with a marketing survey at 10PM and had the nerve to tell me that they are not subject to do not call. They may or may not be subject to do not call but they are certainly subject to abuse.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/16/12 09:15 PM

Tear them a new one Odd!! I hate when they do that! Everytime it happens I suddenly come down with Tourettes!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/24/12 05:58 PM

I have passed the two month mile marker!

It hasn't been all that bad. 'Ceptin for last Friday, at the casino. I just don't understand why smokers frown on you closely following them around and sniffing them. Y'all see anything wrong with that?! Me neither. There was no call to get the Security Guard involved. Now I have to find another casino, but that's okay. We have them all 'round Oklahoma.

grin
Posted By: *W*W*

Re: Yay me, I think. - 08/27/12 01:47 PM

You go, Okie!! My husband used to dip sick He quit a couple of years after we got married. He hasn't dipped in 3 years, but he has to stay away from people who do.

Stick with it. You can do it!! Maybe don't stalk the smokers though wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/01/12 05:27 PM

Another month has gone by and I am a non-smoker. 13 weeks and 4 days!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/01/12 05:36 PM

Yay you! Congratulations! Before you know it a year will have passed.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/01/12 05:38 PM

Yay you! Well done laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/01/12 05:49 PM

WOOT!!! Way to go, Okie! smile
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/01/12 07:18 PM

Good for you!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/02/12 06:05 PM

::HAPPY DANCE::

And nothing says happy like a werewolf doing a happy dance! laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 04:33 PM

Today I am 5 months smoke free. Woo Hoo!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 04:47 PM

Okie, that is awesome! Congratulations, we all knew you could do it!

I was just looking for this thread b/c this past Saturday was one year for me. Stay strong...you've done great so far, keep it up!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 04:53 PM

OKIE! OKIE! OKIE! grin

Big Congrats!!
Posted By: basilring

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 07:18 PM

That is awesome! I understand that can be a frustrating habit to break. (Now, if I could just stop my bad eating habits.....)

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: basilring
That is awesome! I understand that can be a frustrating habit to break. (Now, if I could just stop my bad eating habits.....)

Take up smoking--kills your appetite. Way to go Okie and Quatro! 21 months here....

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 08:00 PM

Thanks everyone and Congrats back to Lil Freak and Quatro!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/28/12 08:52 PM

Today I am 5 months smoke free. Woo Hoo!

That is quite an accomplishment. Congrats!! I have several friends and family members who have tried to quit. Some have been successful but many have not, so I have seen how hard it is.
Posted By: chenin

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/29/12 01:29 PM

It was hard to do! It's been 3 yrs 7 months for me!! Oh and +15 pounds! LOL

Great Job! Congrats!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/29/12 03:55 PM

Congratulations and the blessings of a long and healthy life on you all!!
Posted By: Beagles22

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/29/12 05:55 PM

Way to go!! I have been for over 12 years - thanks to my son :-) it was one of the hardest things I have ever done!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/29/12 06:57 PM

Awesome news Beagle Queen! I did the same for my father almost 30 years ago. Not sure he liked it at the time, but he has said thanks in his own way since then.... it's amazing what a nagging 14 year old can do :-)
Posted By: *W*W*

Re: Yay me, I think. - 11/30/12 03:50 PM

So happy for you, Okie!

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 03:03 PM

I passed the 6 month mile marker over the weekend. Friends, family and co-workers are saying that they never thought they'd see this day happen - EVER.

Ain't that sumpin'? grin

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 03:06 PM

It sure is! Congrats to you and making a better life for yourself and all those around you!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 03:23 PM

smile smile smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 03:48 PM

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO::big breath::OOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE! laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 03:53 PM

Ain't that sumpin'? grin

Yes, it really is. Congrats.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 06:53 PM

Congrats! Great news... so happy to read each update. Go you!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 07:04 PM

Good for you!
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Yay me, I think. - 12/31/12 07:41 PM

That's great Okie! I'll bet you can breathe better, and your clothes and your hair smell better, too! And food tastes better! I smoked for 10 years, and quit a long time ago, and those are the things I remember the most.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 03:32 PM

8 months today. Woot!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 03:46 PM

Congratulations to you!!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 03:46 PM

8 months today. Woot!

::like::

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 03:47 PM

Okie! Awesome job! Congratulations!!!

Now think of all the $$ you've saved...go buy yourself something nice!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 03:54 PM

Wow, I can't believe it's been that long! Congratulations! smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 04:39 PM

That is truly awesome! If nothing else great happens today, I got to hear one really positive news!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 06:01 PM

That is fantastic!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 07:01 PM

Wow, that's great Okie! I noticed the other day at the gas station that a pack of cigarettes was the same price as a gallon of gas (California prices). If you were smoking a pack a day that's almost $1,000 you've saved!
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/28/13 09:30 PM

Way to go! That's amazing!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 03/05/13 04:42 PM

So awesome! Before you know it, it will be one year!

Keep it up!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/26/13 02:57 PM

Just have to let everyone know that I am still a quitter. 10 months this weekend.

I believe that this "investment" has just now paid off. I am now saving money. I couldn't say that before since I quit based on getting sick and developing asthma and having medical bills. I can now say that I am saving money.

Disclaimer - Saving money is just a term. Being human I will now commence spending current and future perceived savings.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/26/13 02:59 PM

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/26/13 03:40 PM

Disclaimer - Saving money is just a term. Being human I will now commence spending current and future perceived savings.

After quitting for 10 months, I think you've earned the right to spend your "savings" on something nice for yourself!

and...Congratualtions, Okie!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/26/13 03:54 PM

Okie, I think you have earned a little reward. Way to go!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/26/13 04:06 PM

Just have to let everyone know that I am still a quitter. 10 months this weekend.

I believe that this "investment" has just now paid off. I am now saving money. I couldn't say that before since I quit based on getting sick and developing asthma and having medical bills. I can now say that I am saving money.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/26/13 04:56 PM

"10 months this weekend."

AMAZING!!!
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/29/13 04:58 PM

Congrats, come visit and we will spend some of that money on the celebration!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 04/30/13 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Congrats, come visit and we will spend some of that money on the celebration!

On my way. Meet you at the usual place? grin

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/01/13 08:25 PM

If you are going to be a quitter at something... you picked the best thing!

Congratulations. No easy task I am sure and I hope you give yourself the credit you deserve!
Posted By: _erica_

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/01/13 08:52 PM

This thread is inspiring. I am now on day 1.5 (to the point I am counting hours).. I didn't go cold turkey though.. I went to Vapor Kings and got an e-cig.. although I am not sure how good those really are for you. frown Still.. it HAS to be better than real cigarettes right? .... right??

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/01/13 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: _erica_
This thread is inspiring. I am now on day 1.5 (to the point I am counting hours).. I didn't go cold turkey though.. I went to Vapor Kings and got an e-cig.. although I am not sure how good those really are for you. frown Still.. it HAS to be better than real cigarettes right? .... right??

It gets easier as time goes on. Today it has been 4 years since I quit.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/02/13 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: chenin

It gets easier as time goes on. Today it has been 4 years since I quit.

erica-

I did the same thing. I was down to three or four cigarettes a day, but could never get past that. Tried the e-cig, and did that for about a month. Thought it was so silly "smoking" water vapor that I put it down and haven't picked it up since.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/02/13 06:38 PM

I also turned to the E-cig for one month, then also put those down forever.

But I'd developed such a bad case of asthma, which kept getting worse, that I couldn't stop coughing or catch my breath. I was checked for Emphesyma (sp?) and COPD, but passed those tests, thankfully. My diagnosis was Asthma.

I put them down in favor of breathing and that same breathing requirement is what keeps them down. It seems like my entire body rejects (and just shudders) at the thought of ever smoking again. I was just lucky that I didn't have Emphesma or COPD.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/06/13 01:59 PM

Watched my grandfather die of lung cancer, COPD and Empahsema....
It is ghastly folks.
Posted By: _erica_

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/15/13 09:51 PM

My main problems are 1) when I am doing Army stuff (I am a weekend warrior)because SO MANY people smoke. Nonsmokers are BY FAR the minority. And if you are standing around doing nothing you get yelled at but if you are standing around with a cigarette it's ok.. 2) If I am consuming some adult beverages (which is.. fairly often) and 3) because my husband smokes and has no real desire to quit at all.

I feel doomed. I have fallen off the bandwagon several times, but at least it's down to 1-3 a day again, if any. Sigh.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/16/13 01:28 PM

It is extremely hard to do. The tobacco is addictive on its own and the cig companies have done everything but add heroin to it to make it more addictive. There are also a million excuses to keep doing it and anyone that smokes will try to derail you, whether conciously or subconciously.
There is only one good and lasting reason to quit and that is for you.
Good Luck Erica. Sincerely.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/16/13 02:23 PM

have you tried the e-cigs. I have a friend who is sucessful with them.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/28/13 01:12 PM

11 months today. I'm a non-smoker. smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/28/13 01:47 PM

Yay you!!! Before you know it you will be a non-smoker for 5 years. Keep up the great work, Okie!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/28/13 01:51 PM

Hooray Okie!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/28/13 08:25 PM

Congrats Okie!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 05/31/13 12:10 PM

11 months today. I'm a non-smoker. smile

Congrats to you! SO proud of you!
Posted By: WonderWoman

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/24/13 05:45 PM

My main problems are 1) when I am doing Army stuff (I am a weekend warrior)because SO MANY people smoke. Nonsmokers are BY FAR the minority. And if you are standing around doing nothing you get yelled at but if you are standing around with a cigarette it's ok.. 2) If I am consuming some adult beverages (which is.. fairly often) and 3) because my husband smokes and has no real desire to quit at all.

I feel doomed. I have fallen off the bandwagon several times, but at least it's down to 1-3 a day again, if any. Sigh.

I'm in the same boat as you Erica. I was down to 2 cigarrettes a day with help from an ap on my phone - but I couldn't get past that. My husband smokes & I smoke when I'm stressed (which is a lot lately).

I just keep recommitting - one of these days it will stick.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/25/13 01:38 PM

Never give up, no matter how many times it feels like we fail. I have a similar issue with weight loss... have been fighting it my entire life! But, I refuse to give up. I have had success and set-backs. Just have to keep trying!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/28/13 06:48 PM

I have to go ahead and say it to Okie...

CONGRATS TO YOU FOR BEING A NON-SMOKER FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!!!

We all knew you could do it, deep down you knew you could too. Great job!
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/29/13 01:07 PM

Congratulations. You will never be sorry.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 03:03 PM

Just checking in. Still a quitter. Close to 16 months now with not even one slip or drag or puff or e-cig.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 03:08 PM

Great news, Okie!!!
Posted By: ecrew,CRCM

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 03:24 PM

Awesome!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 03:25 PM

YOU ROCK OKIE!!!! Imagine how much healthier and happier your body is now. smile smile smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 03:31 PM

And you can put all the money you're saving towards things like pizza and/or beer!! That has to be nice. laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
And you can put all the money you're saving towards things like pizza and/or beer!! That has to be nice. laugh

...or shooze! Way to go! Start putting the "habit" money aside every paycheck and watch it grow. I converted my habit money into a car payment.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 05:57 PM

I converted my habbit money into running shoes!
No wait...that IS my habit! Darn!
laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 10/17/13 06:51 PM

I am in total awe of anyone that can stop an addiction like smoking or losing and keeping off significant weight through a lifestyle change.

What power of the will and mind it takes.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 04:59 PM

Today is my 19th month no smoking anniversary. Just chiming in to let y'all know that I'm still a 100% quitter!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 05:02 PM

smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 05:07 PM

:throws confetti:

smile
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 05:32 PM

Keep it up!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 05:47 PM

Wahooo!! smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 05:50 PM

It gets easier with each passing day - or at least that was my experience.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 06:50 PM

Awesome job Orkie!
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 08:44 PM

Yay Okie!
Posted By: JWills, CRCM

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 09:02 PM

Great job!!!
Posted By: Quadspapa

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/27/14 09:16 PM

That's great Okie.....keep those lungs clear
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/02/14 04:24 PM

It's a hard job, (but no harder than compliance) and somebody has to do it. Just think of the pay raise you gave yourself!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 06:21 PM

I hope that I can quit Pepsi as easy as I quit smoking. Please send good thoughts my way all day and every day. I am quite the Pepsi-holic.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker
I hope that I can quit Pepsi as easy as I quit smoking. Please send good thoughts my way all day and every day. I am quite the Pepsi-holic.

Good thing that Jack goes better with Coke.

Best of luck

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 07:31 PM

laugh Thanks
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 07:37 PM

Good luck! I gave up all soda last year in a bet with a coworker. I made it 8 months. I need to be back on that wagon.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 07:57 PM

You should get on that wagon with me then ::scotches over:: Competition helps.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 08:19 PM

DEAL! We can do this.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 08:23 PM

Deal!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/02/15 08:25 PM

<<<---love Pepsi! BUT, I do limit it to 1 or 2 only on the weekend.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/05/15 05:30 PM

I'm still on the wagon. I know this first few weeks is going to be HARD, but I'm also letting most people around me know so they don't try to sabotage me.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/05/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
<<<---love Pepsi! BUT, I do limit it to 1 or 2 only on the weekend.

<--addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper. Not the easiest to find when staying at hotels and usually requires venturing off the property in search of said beverage.....

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/05/15 07:06 PM

Well, that gives you an opportunity to find dried up lizards, spiders and the like. smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/05/15 08:09 PM

Well, that gives you an opportunity to find dried up lizards, spiders and the like. smile

And get chased by hobos eek

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 03:32 PM

Jen - In the words of Cramer from Seinfeld's:

I'm out. grin cry mad

Fell off that wagon yesterday and stayed off today. Bad girl.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 05:07 PM

GET YOUR ARSE BACK UP HERE WOMAN!!!

I resisted yesterday (well, substituted with chocolate to save a coworkers life). Tonight is my son's birthday. I will have to resist again. If I can do it, you can!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 06:29 PM

There is no such thing as 'substituted for chocolate'. Chocolate is a food group all on it's on and a necessary part of a daily balanced diet. js

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 06:34 PM

There is no such thing as 'substituted for chocolate'. Chocolate is a food group all on it's on and a necessary part of a daily balanced diet. js

That is why they claim vitamin C is important.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 06:49 PM

Vitamin C is not a food.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 07:29 PM

Climbing back on. I'm there. Won't happen again.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/07/15 07:42 PM

YAY!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 02:05 PM

Hi-[censored] this thread for one moment:

I QUIT SMOKING A YEAR AGO YESTERDAY!!! smile cool

::does Happy Dance:: grin

You may now return to your regular Okie thread!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 02:14 PM

Congratulations Joker! That is amazing.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 02:16 PM

Congrats Joker!

But what did you type that got censored?

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 02:20 PM

I know, right? Hijacked!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 02:29 PM

Congrats Joker! That is so awesome.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 03:42 PM

Hi-[censored] this thread for one moment:

I QUIT SMOKING A YEAR AGO YESTERDAY!!! smile cool

::does Happy Dance:: grin

You may now return to your regular Okie thread!!

BOL censors are weird. But you my friend are AMAZING!!!
Great work.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 03:44 PM

smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 03:53 PM

Nice job Joker. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 04:02 PM

::faints::

The purple dood said something NICE to me! shocked eek grin

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 05:01 PM

YAY!

I fell off the no soda wagon Saturday and had a BIG Coke. Just the one, then I climbed right back on. I can do this.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 05:03 PM

Yes you can! laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 06:15 PM

::faints::

The purple dood said something NICE to me! shocked eek grin

Don't get used to it, I have a reputation to maintain. smile smirk

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen
YAY!

I fell off the no soda wagon Saturday and had a BIG Coke. Just the one, then I climbed right back on. I can do this.

Me too. But we are putting together a Bank Biggest Loser competition and it starts on Wednesday. Winner takes all. The Pot will be worth the win.

I won't fall off that wagon after that because It's On Like Donkey Kong. I want to win. I want all the money. I am so competitive it can be painful! grin

After 2 1/2 years I think I can no longer attribute it to "No Smoking" weight and it must come off.

Bring it! (smack talk helps!)

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 06:47 PM

::applies extra strength super glue to wagon seat::

There! That should do it, right?!
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 06:52 PM

YEA JOKER!!!!!!! That is truly amazingly wonderful. Now you can smell all that horse [censored] so much better, right? laugh

To those of you kicking any habit, soda or otherwise, I say more power to you!!! You can do it!

My vice is tea...lots of tea, iced and hot, summer, winter, don't matter. I use stevia too so at least in the drinking department, my habit isn't considered a vice. wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 07:01 PM

Yes, my smeller was always pretty good, but now it is super human! The most hilarious smell, however, comes from those who say they quit smoking...but I know better. whistle You cannot fool me! smirk

Purple dood, I would be afraid you were sick if you were nice to me on a regular basis. No worries on ruining your rep! laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 07:29 PM

I think I need some of that glue!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 07:36 PM

I think I need some of that glue!

I already glued both of us!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/12/15 08:13 PM

Disclaimer - I put the glue on THE seat and not on YOUR seat.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/13/15 02:57 PM

Whatever works!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/14/15 05:02 PM

My vice is Bombay Saffire, and Fireball shots, and Johnny Vegas, and Vegas bombs....that last one has too much of that sugary energy drink in it....

Where's my wagon?!?!?!?!?!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/14/15 08:03 PM

I heard it's in the shop having the seat glued. wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/09/15 06:47 PM

We need stronger glue. I'm drinking a can of coke with lunch at my desk...I have no willpower.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/09/15 06:52 PM

Indulgence every once in awhile does not equal no willpower. Nothing in moderation will kill you. Besides, knowing you, you've beat yourself up about the dang coke and are already back to drinking water. laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/09/15 07:02 PM

True true. Not quite water...but unsweet hot tea.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/09/15 07:32 PM

We need stronger glue. I'm drinking a can of coke with lunch at my desk...I have no willpower.

don't worry it is just one can and it washed down the 6 or 7 jelly donuts. laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/09/15 07:35 PM

True true. Not quite water...but unsweet hot tea.
'course you could always go eat an oyster to atone for your sin of coke drinking! laugh laugh smirk

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/09/15 09:38 PM

I'd probably eat the oyster before jelly donuts. Jelly is just GROSS!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 04:28 PM

I'll eat the oysters!! Just pile em up over here!!

::Gets out some hot sauce and crakers::

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 08:32 PM

::knocks BBB outta the way::

Nom, nom, nom! smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 08:49 PM

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!

And we'll fry that sucker up and boil some crawdads to go with them oysters!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 09:13 PM

Joker and BB1, y'all can both go sit down in the corner(s).
Jen and I have a longstanding contractual agreement that I get all her oysters and first dibs on the other good edibles that she turns her cute little nose up at. (mushrooms, as I recall, are on that list too.)

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 09:26 PM

shrooms!?! smile

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 10:00 PM

Yep. They are on the list.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 10:40 PM

Dibs on any Pepsi that is the result of any turned up nose(s)

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/10/15 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Joker and BB1, y'all can both go sit down in the corner(s).
Jen and I have a longstanding contractual agreement that I get all her oysters and first dibs on the other good edibles that she turns her cute little nose up at. (mushrooms, as I recall, are on that list too.)

Sweetie, Jen's "Don't list" is lot longer than her "Do List". So pickin up her cast off chow could feed all of us pretty good!
Just dont get between her and soda if she's Jonesing for one! eek laugh
Posted By: ahkcompliance

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/11/15 07:17 PM

This is my 3rd day on the no pop bandwagon. I'm craving one today but just keeping drinking my water.

yummm.................

Re: Yay me, I think. - 02/11/15 07:42 PM

I've been Diet Coke free for over 2 weeks!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/09/15 04:44 PM

I'm still on the Pepsi bandwagon DARNIT! but smoke free for 3 years on the 30th. I want off the Pepsi wagon now.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/09/15 06:16 PM

I have a Pepsi treat (I don't drink pop smirk ) usually every weekend...and actually right now. It's already being a rough week! laugh
Posted By: BowlingQueen

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/09/15 06:17 PM

I've been on the Arbor Mist bandwagon. wink

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/09/15 07:37 PM

I gave up soda for 63 days. Then decided I could have one a week....and now am back to one a day. This week I gave up Coca cola - which is my favorite. So hoping that helps get me back off one a day!
Posted By: QCL

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 01:44 PM

Just reading this is making me crave one. I can literally taste that sweet sweet diet coke in my mouth. I gave it up for 6 months, had one one Sunday on the plane ride back from Cancun and now crave it again.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 01:50 PM

^^^^

Diet coke addict, wonder if there is rehab.

laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 02:00 PM

I'm the same way with Coke. I fell off the wagon, but was limiting myself to one or two a week. That quickly turned into one a day. These people who say the craving goes away after a while or it doesn't taste as good after you've gone without it LIE. I went 9 months last year and it was a mental battle each time I ate out to choose water or tea. When I finally had one I think I uttered something like "oh yeah...sweet nectar of the Gods."

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 02:02 PM

I used to drink diet coke all day, from morning until night. I drank the caffiene free version. I haven't done that in a few months, but like RR Jen said ^^^^ it's hard when you go out to eat. Every now and then I crave one, but it is getting easier to not get one.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 02:56 PM

Diet coke (anything). The aspartame in them kills brain cells. js.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:03 PM

JWills - do you feel any differently after giving up diet cokes?

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:16 PM

I had headaches at first, but now I don't miss it. I know it was not good for me, especially in the quantities I was drinking. I have been trying to be healthier. Getting older stinks! But it does beat the alternative.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:18 PM

70 is the new 40!!!!
Posted By: doodles

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:25 PM

I was a Diet Dr. Pepper addict up until mid January. I gave it up and since then have been able to lose 40 lbs and have more to lose. I would drink 2 20 oz bottles a day at work. I missed them at first but now I am okay. Not sure what would happen if I fell off the wagon and had one (but based on what others are saying I better not slip and have one).

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:35 PM

Kind of like smoking, doodles. If you have one - you'll have more (or at least I will). And congratulations on the weight loss!!!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:44 PM

That's awesome doodles!
Posted By: Sunshine Lady

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:53 PM

Inspiring doodles, I am trying to give up Diet Dr. Pepper's also. This is my second week, and I am still craving, but trying to be strong.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By Pale Rider
70 is the new 40!!!!

Glad to hear that--now just tell my weary old bones that!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By doodles
I was a Diet Dr. Pepper addict up until mid January. I gave it up and since then have been able to lose 40 lbs and have more to lose. I would drink 2 20 oz bottles a day at work. I missed them at first but now I am okay. Not sure what would happen if I fell off the wagon and had one (but based on what others are saying I better not slip and have one).

OMG--that's me. Except I typically had just one 24 oz. bottle (which aren't available anymore and have been replaced with the 16.9 oz bottles).
Posted By: DEL

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 05:38 PM

As a caffeine-free Diet Coke addict, how does giving up a diet soda help you lose weight? I can see it might be good to give it up for other reasons (actually I just say that to be politically correct - I can't think of any other reasons, either) but why does it effect overall weight?
Posted By: mtngrrl

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By DEL
As a caffeine-free Diet Coke addict, how does giving up a diet soda help you lose weight? I can see it might be good to give it up for other reasons (actually I just say that to be politically correct - I can't think of any other reasons, either) but why does it effect overall weight?

There are lots of articles out there on recent discoveries linking diet soda with diabetes and weight gain. Here's just a start, from the New York Post:

Originally Posted By nypost
While you may have started drinking diet soda to facilitate weight loss, quitting it may actually do the trick. A recent nine-year study found older adults who drank diet soda continued to pack on belly fat. The study piggybacks on research that found each daily diet soda increases your chance of becoming obese in the next decade by 65 percent, and a study published in Diabetes Care that found drinking diet soft drinks daily was associated with an increase in metabolic syndrome — obesity, high blood pressure, high triglycerides — which leads to heart disease and diabetes.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 07:39 PM

Wait...if 70 is the new 40...and 40 is the new 20...Then we just keep getting younger again right?
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 08:25 PM

I quit all sodas (I only drank diet) about 5 years ago. It was tough at first, but when I decided to cut all artificial sweeteners - it got much easier. That meant learning to drink tea with no splenda or Sweet n Low (allergic to aspartame). Once I did that, I didn't crave the sodas at all anymore.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/10/15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By doodles

40 pounds in 5 months? Seriously? From quitting 2 20 oz a day? Well, this will be my last pepsi. I swear. I don't have a problem. I can give them up anytime I want. cry
Posted By: DEL

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By Lestie G
I quit all sodas (I only drank diet) about 5 years ago. It was tough at first, but when I decided to cut all artificial sweeteners - it got much easier. That meant learning to drink tea with no splenda or Sweet n Low (allergic to aspartame). Once I did that, I didn't crave the sodas at all anymore.

Right now I drink very little caffeinated coffee or tea, and I've never liked sugar/sweetener in either of them. I drink a lot of herbal tea. Is it the artificial sweetener that's bad? Also, what about all the flavored seltzer waters? If I find out they're also bad for me my world may collapse! cry

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 02:10 PM

I don't do any artificial sweetener. If I'm going to drink it, I'm having the real thing.
Posted By: Buddy the Elf

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By DEL
Also, what about all the flavored seltzer waters? If I find out they're also bad for me my world may collapse! cry

I'm wondering this as well. I can't seem to find anything about sparkling waters. However, in looking at the ingredients, a lot of them use Aspartame as the sweetener which I try to avoid. I'm drinking Skinnygirl Sparklers now which are sweetened with sucralose but I'm not sure that's any better than Aspartame. I limit myself to one a day, at most.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 05:38 PM

Take a pitcher of water - slice up lemons, limes, oranges and put slices in pitcher of water. refrigerate. drink and enjoy without guilt!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By waldensouth
Take a pitcher of water - slice up lemons, limes, oranges and put slices in pitcher of water. refrigerate. drink and enjoy without guilt!

no guilt for plant murder? laugh

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 05:55 PM

Water with sliced up lemons and cucumbers is also tasty.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/11/15 09:27 PM

Feels like a line out of an AA meeting...

Hi, I'm Princess Romeo and it's been 3 years and 2 months since my last soda, diet or otherwise.

I have to say I don't miss it. I drink water, carbonated water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.

I am now wearing either size 2 or 4 pants vs. size 18 or 20 three years ago.

Blood pressure, blood sugar, HDL levels, etc. are all in the good range vs. the "danger" zone they were in.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/12/15 12:53 PM

I have been using Stevia in my coffee. It is a natural sugar, no calories. I am sure in a year or so it will be deemed unhealthy.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/12/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By Princess Romeo
Feels like a line out of an AA meeting...

Hi, I'm Princess Romeo and it's been 3 years and 2 months since my last soda, diet or otherwise.

I have to say I don't miss it. I drink water, carbonated water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.

I am now wearing either size 2 or 4 pants vs. size 18 or 20 three years ago.

Blood pressure, blood sugar, HDL levels, etc. are all in the good range vs. the "danger" zone they were in.

Woot! That is awesome and a serious accomplishment. Congrats!
Posted By: BowlingQueen

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/12/15 02:28 PM

^^^^^Ditto what Okie said!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/15/15 05:52 PM

Here in Texas, we can get sodas made with real cane sugar, bottled in Mexico. But, like so many of you, I have stopped drinking sodas too.

My issue was not weight, it was Class C Los Angeles Esophagitis. It was an easy choice. Stop drinking the poison or die!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/15/15 06:10 PM

Only 2 Pepsis since last Wednesday! I am rather proud of that. I didn't beat myself up for those two and that made a difference I think.
Posted By: Khaleesi

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/15/15 07:09 PM

I don't know...I switched to diet soda a few years ago along with other changes and lost 65lbs. I went from a size 14 to a 00. (Seems extreme, but I'm short at just under 5ft 4) Now, I will probably die sooner and be preserved forever from the aspartame, but so be it. smile I fully admit, I'm addicted to the stuff. Congrats to those that have managed to stay away from this stuff!
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Yay me, I think. - 06/19/15 09:35 PM

I gave up pop about 4 weeks ago, after falling off the wagon. Back in 2000 I had to quit Coke, I was drinking 2 cans and a large Coke from McDs or BK. Was having headaches, so the Dr cut caffeine from my diet. That was Nov 2000. I remember 2 mos into it, when I found a 6 pack of Coke in the basement. I opened it and was sitting in the corner sipping it (that adds to the flavor) when my wife walked into the basement and said I was pathetic laugh

I still treat my self occasionaly to a coke. But I treat it like a treat. Put it in the garage fridge, and allow myself a sip or 2 every other day. Will make the bottle last all week. usually goes flat and I pour it out. I only do this about every other month.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/24/15 06:18 PM

Just past my 3 years smoke free anniversary. Also limiting pop to one every few days. Feeling good and losing a little bit of that weight!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 07/24/15 07:22 PM

Congrats Okie!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/29/18 10:35 PM

5 1/2 years and I'm still a QUITTER!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/30/18 12:54 PM

Good for you, HRH! That's wonderful news!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/30/18 01:00 PM

YAY HRH!

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/30/18 03:42 PM

Congrats on changing your life and being and influence to those around you for the better. Overcoming addiction takes so much strength.

Re: Yay me, I think. - 01/31/18 07:28 PM

This is so awesome!!! I am sure there are many times you have felt the urge. So cool that you were able to win each time! Keep it up!!!!