Happy National Running Day!

Posted By: CheshireAliCat

Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 12:39 PM

June 5th is National Running day! Are you getting some miles in?

(Also, Rock 'n Roll marathons and half marathons are $20 off if you register today. Woo hoo!)
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 12:44 PM

I walked to the car this morning, does that count? wink
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 12:55 PM

Wore running shoes today (with my suit).
We are having a 5K that is being held by all the running clubs and running shops in the area. Its down on our river park area. Should be fun if the rain holds off. If not it will be fun and wet! grin
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 01:16 PM

According to FB posts, there are some moms getting miles in.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 01:43 PM

It's National Running Day? I wish I knew in advance. I've run the last two mornings, so today I went to the gym for weights.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 01:51 PM

^^^ same

Today was lifting. Welp.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 01:53 PM

Today is also a lifting day for me, and I'm off running until my race Saturday now anyway! I was unaware there was any sort of day for this, it was not on the event calendar in June's Runner's World, I was just reading it last night! They've betrayed me.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 06:08 PM

Man up and run anyway!

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 06:15 PM

Dude! I would if I knew before my workout this morning. If I go tonight, it'll be after my plasma appointment and who will pick me up if I pass out or something?? laugh

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 06:19 PM

Blah, blah, blah..... I run after giving blood all the time!
Somebody always finds me and brings me home! Its a great way to meet new people! laugh
Posted By: QCL

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 06:33 PM

I am going now, during my lunch break. smile

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 06:39 PM

I don't take lunches, and my running shoes are at home (2 block away)! I can find excuses to counter your options, all day long!

If I run later, it'll most likely be a run-on sentence. I run on running days, not on other days. I like my routines and I don't like compromises! laugh Maybe we'll go on a walk tonight after dinner though, and I can fit a brief trot in there, even if it means stopping to tie my shoe, then jogging to catch up. Deal?
Posted By: #12

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 07:37 PM

I ran a quick mile after my Insanity class at lunchtime today. So I got a run in, even though it was a short one!
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 08:01 PM

I walk briskly to and from the light rail platform and home/work. Running is hard on my knees.
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 08:05 PM

Will it count if I run to my car from the office to minimize the amount of rain hitting me?
Posted By: QCL

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
I don't take lunches, and my running shoes are at home (2 block away)! I can find excuses to counter your options, all day long!

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM
Will it count if I run to my car from the office to minimize the amount of rain hitting me?

If your car is at least a half mile from your office, yes. laugh

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

If your car is at least a half mile from your office, yes. laugh

Or if you run completely around the storm to minimize getting wet. wink
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 09:17 PM

Today is also a lifting day for me, and I'm off running until my race Saturday now anyway! I was unaware there was any sort of day for this, it was not on the event calendar in June's Runner's World, I was just reading it last night! They've betrayed me.

if you aren't racing until saturday, why the 3 days off leading up to it? never lay off when a race is coming, you can decrease your mileage and speed, but you should be training until the day of the race

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 09:24 PM

I disagree...for a big race I take the two days before off from running (I do yoga or stretch). For smaller races (like 5ks) I rest the day before. But, I don't take 3...ever.

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 09:30 PM

Duathlons and and 1/2's I take two off. 5K's where I'm going for a PR, the day before. For the Death Valley Ultramarathon Deathrace...? So far, 56 years. laugh

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/05/13 09:49 PM

Well, I did weights as normal today, according to my schedule, so it's not an "off" day, just not one I ever run on.

Tomorrow will be an off day in prep for the race, as will Friday. I'll likely just do a mile or two jog and stretch. It's a new distance for me, seven miles. We'll see how it goes! Only done one 8k, and everything else has been 5k's (dozens), as far as actual road races go.

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 01:18 PM

I ran 10K today as a last practice run before my first 10K race Saturday, but tomorrow I'll sleep an extra hour and skip my run. I'm having trouble with pace. I go too slow at the start, and at the end I feel like I still have some gas in the tank. In the 5k races, I do the opposite: start too fast.

It was a nice cool morning. Great day to run.

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 01:32 PM

We had a showing for the run last night honoring our national holiday. smile
Bout a thousand or so. Plus burgers, beer, brats and wine!
Hey, nobody said it was National Healthy Running Day! laugh

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 01:46 PM

I did 3 easy miles with one of my runner girls last night. We started in a light rain and finished in the blazing sun. Gotta love Missouri weather.
Posted By: Post-it

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 02:16 PM

Running is not my first choice when it comes to exercise. I use to run and play sports when I was in high school but now my body is rebelling in the form of shin splints. Reading everyone’s posts made me want to try again so last night I took my lab for a walk........boy was she excited!
I would like to take her all the time but man am I feeling it this morning!

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 02:39 PM

I enjoy relaxing by sitting in a comfy chair and listening to music. With an iPod, running is exactly the same, minus the chair.

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Post-it
Running is not my first choice when it comes to exercise. I use to run and play sports when I was in high school but now my body is rebelling in the form of shin splints. Reading everyone’s posts made me want to try again so last night I took my lab for a walk........boy was she excited!
I would like to take her all the time but man am I feeling it this morning!

Well Done! Everybody starts (or restarts) with a single step. If you have had shin splint problems in the past and are thinking a bout gettin back into it, look into having a gait analysis done at a local running store. Its usually free. They can recommend the best types of shoes. You can also lookinto compression sleeves. they are really helpful for the shin splints!

Re: Happy National Running Day! - 06/06/13 04:28 PM

Thanks to Happy for making me feel like a bum, I was compelled to get out as well last night. It was low 60's, near sun-down and pretty nice minus the crazy humidity and gnats that aren't an issue much in the mornings.

It made me feel better about taking this morning off, that's for sure!

I enjoy sleeping, or laying in bed after waking up and not doing anything. Running is basically the same, except that it's not at all laugh