Need some quitting tobacco advice

Posted By: raitchjay

Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 03:42 PM

I need some advice/help please. I just read an article about Kurt Schilling (former MLB pitcher) and his battle with oral cancer. He states that he has no doubt it was caused by his tobacco use. The article talks about how the cancer was similar to that of football HOFer Jim Kelly's battle with cancer. For some reason, this time, the articles really spoke to me...."this is gonna be you dummy, if you don't quit dipping".

I need some advice on doing so. I've been dipping for over 30 years. The longest i've ever gone without is no more than a day. Do i try cold turkey? Do i try to do it gradually? Do i buy patches? I have 7 or 8 full cans currently (i dip a can a day). I just know...i need to do something about this....i don't want to get cancer from something that i could totally prevent...if i'll just man up and do it. Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 03:48 PM

Just man up and stop. Fail a day or two, then stop and just start over again.

Don't look down the road or a future with or without, just look between the start and end of each day, and concentrate your efforts on each day as its own. Success will be when they build on top of each other and a new habit of without has been formed.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 03:48 PM

Not sure what the best plan is, but I applaud you for taking the steps to quit. Best of luck Sir.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 03:55 PM

Thanks guys. Cold turkey sounds good....I just doubt my ability to do it. It's not going to be easy..i know that.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 03:59 PM

When I quit smoking I went cold turkey. I don't think anything else would have worked for me. And just think one day at a time, otherwise it could be even more overwhelming.

And congratulations on a great decision!
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:15 PM

You've got this. You want to quit, and you will. Be hard on yourself, hold yourself accountable, take away the opportunities to slip up, change your routines so you have other things to think about doing differently instead of just focusing on this one thing that's changed. Start setting aside the funds you would've spent on your habit, and let it build up to reward yourself for a week, two weeks, a month, etc.

Good for you.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:24 PM

Just do it. You're much bigger than a can of tobacco. You can beat it. Don't let something like that control you.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:24 PM

I'm going to make some kind of change....whether it's cold turkey, trying to do it gradually, buying some patches....that's the part that is still up in the air.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:25 PM

Part of the reason i decided to post in here: hoping it will make me accountable.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:27 PM

I got nothing but:

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/Topics/SmokelessTobacco/SmokelessTobaccoAGuideforQuitting.htm

Best of luck
Posted By: manimal

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: califgirl
Just do it. You're much bigger than a can of tobacco. You can beat it. Don't let something like that control you.

This. Well said, califgirl! And best of luck to you, we are all here to support you and be proud when you kick the habit! smile
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:36 PM

now I'm hungry for a cold turkey sandwich

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:38 PM

Thanks Ed....I like the idea of picking a date to quit, and tapering down my use until that date. Right now, i typically get 6 dips a day. I'm thinking i'm going to make my 'quit date' (it said try not to go beyond a couple of weeks) the end of my 7 or 8 cans i have (which normally, would be 7 or 8 days from now, but if i taper off, say, cutting 2 dips a day out at first....then another 1 or 2 as i go....might be just about 2 weeks).

I have to be honest....cold turkey sounds impossible to me right now.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:39 PM

Thanks all....i think i have my plan......a stop date roughly 2 weeks from now, tapering down my use up to that date. I appreciate the encouragement.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:39 PM

glad I could help
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
You've got this. You want to quit, and you will. Be hard on yourself, hold yourself accountable, take away the opportunities to slip up, change your routines so you have other things to think about doing differently instead of just focusing on this one thing that's changed. Start setting aside the funds you would've spent on your habit, and let it build up to reward yourself for a week, two weeks, a month, etc.

Good for you.

I love this; well stated and with a few twists, you could make this work for many things. Good job MB.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:13 PM

I have no advice, just support. Good luck and hopefully this journey will not be too difficult.
Posted By: JWills, CRCM

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:25 PM

Good luck!! Don't give up!
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:26 PM

I think at a can-a-day habit, you're best chance for success is to taper down to a manageable amount like you've stated above. My hubby's dipped for years and has quit several times. I really wish he'd quit for good but he's stubborn as a mule!

Good luck!!!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:31 PM

I'm going to try to make myself post in here in two weeks or so.....hopefully so i can say "i did it". Thanks again for the support.
Posted By: basilring

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:36 PM

What about the old trick of wearing a rubber band on your wrist and every time you feel like taking a dip, you snap the rubber band? (Or a similar concept).

I just don't want to see you in a heap in a corner constantly snapping the rubber band and crying....

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:38 PM

Haha. smile I just finished my after-lunch dip (i'm cutting out my afternoon dip and my before-bed dip..that's the plan), but instead of leaving it in an hour or an hour and a half as i normally would, it only made it maybe 40 minutes. It's a start (i hope).

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:41 PM

Progress is progress, no matter how big or small.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 05:52 PM

I just realized....i miscounted: here are the pathetic number of dips i get in a typical day:

1) Right after i brush my teeth. This dip only stays in for 30 minutes til i get to work. This dip has to go.

2) After i eat breakfast dip (eating is always a trigger). This one will stay for now.

3) After lunch dip.

4) Afternoon (after snack) dip. This one needs to go immediately.

5) On the way home from work dip. (Again, doesn't last long as i eat supper soon after i get home. This dip goes away now.)

6) After supper dip.

7) 9-10 o'clock dip (sadly, i often will eat a little something just to trigger the desire for a dip). This dip is going away immediately.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 06:05 PM

Find someone to text or email each time you're tempted to cheat. Have them remind you of all the reasons you want to quit.

Or place a bet with someone. That's how I've managed to quit soda since January.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 06:12 PM

Good idea. I'm torn between wanting to go gradual and cold turkey.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 06:44 PM

Have you calculated how much it costs you per month/per year? I like Matt's idea of putting that money away and buying yourself something as a reward.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 06:48 PM

I actually was doing that earlier today.....i spend about $135/month on it, or $1620/year. It's definitely a good idea.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:03 PM

Rip that article out of the magazine and fold it up and put it in your billfold. Every time you're tempted, take it back out. Read it, look at it, think about it... whatever it takes. As a reminder... similar to what RR Jen said above.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:19 PM

I got the app "Get Rich or Die Smoking". Only Android has it but you put your numbers in and it's a great incentive...they may have a 'dip' one!! Unfortunately, Iphone has nothing comparable.

Tapering off is what one Doctor said worked for him and suggested to me...only it was one cig less/day each week. It didn't work for me,although the theory is great, BUT, the cutting out certain 'habit' ones, like you mention DID help me cut down.

Having said all of that, I ended up vaping (not the ecigs most people think of and are familiar with)...and quit smoking January 11, 2014. That was 221 days ago...3980 cigs or 200 packs ago. I've saved approx $895.51 and have not inhaled 39g 800 mg of TAR!!! (according to the app)

If I can do it..you can do it...why? Cause, caligirl said you are much bigger than a can of tobacco...which is true. You are WAY taller than I am. So if I can...you can! smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Find someone to text

RHJ, let me know if you need my number

I have some great selfies stored on my phone too, just sayin'

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:29 PM

::High 5:: Joker!!!
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:30 PM

I walked away from cigs over two years ago. Just put them down and have never looked back. My mother in law forgot her cigs and lighter in my car and I never thought twice about it and drove them over to her house.

But I can't stop the Pepsi. It's taken the place of cigs. That is a mistake you don't want to even start rj - a crutch! I'm up 40 pounds now. I want to stop so bad but have every excuse in the book.

Let's make a pact rj. What do you say? Maybe a little healthy competition will help it? Stress the "healthy" Or a bet?

HELP!
Posted By: renniks

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:33 PM

Have you tried the Nicorette nicotine lozenges? They dissolve slowly and go between your teeth and your gums (much like dip, I think?) Might be a good temporary fix.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
I got the app "Get Rich or Die Smoking". Only Android has it but you put your numbers in and it's a great incentive...they may have a 'dip' one!! Unfortunately, Iphone has nothing comparable.

Tapering off is what one Doctor said worked for him and suggested to me...only it was one cig less/day each week. It didn't work for me,although the theory is great, BUT, the cutting out certain 'habit' ones, like you mention DID help me cut down.

Having said all of that, I ended up vaping (not the ecigs most people think of and are familiar with)...and quit smoking January 11, 2014. That was 221 days ago...3980 cigs or 200 packs ago. I've saved approx $895.51 and have not inhaled 39g 800 mg of TAR!!! (according to the app)

If I can do it..you can do it...why? Cause, caligirl said you are much bigger than a can of tobacco...which is true. You are WAY taller than I am. So if I can...you can! smile

Congrats! That is so very awesome. I hope it gets easier for you every single day that goes by!
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:40 PM

I dipped (Copenhagen and Garrett) for 23 years, Smoked a pipe and cigars for the better part of 10. I can tell you that there is only one reason that you can quit and that is for you. I have not touched a tobacoo product for over 7 years now and I have no desire for it whatsoever. But I completely view myslef as an addict. A recovering addict, but still an addict. I wish I could tell you this great process, but I quit when I had shoulder surgery. I just woke up from anesthesia and never touched it again.
Things that may help,
Look at those articles regularly and realize that its not that could be you, that IS you.
Take a look at some pics from the internet of the end result. They are gruesome and you dont want to be one of them!
What always gets us is the thought that it happens to someone else not me and that I have time..... both are lies we tell ourselves.
I would also tell you that you will not belive how much better you will feel after you quit and get it all cleared form your system!!! Its night and day! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?
WRONG! Nicotine binds to hemoglobin and a molecule of hemoglobin can only carry one other molecule, it can be nictine or it can be oxygen. It cant be both. Once you quit and you get it all out of your system, you will have more energy and endurance!
It is not easy, but remember that other humans, many with much less capapbilty than you possess, have done this. SO can you!
Good luck and use this forum for accountablity and support!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker
I walked away from cigs over two years ago. Just put them down and have never looked back. My mother in law forgot her cigs and lighter in my car and I never thought twice about it and drove them over to her house.

But I can't stop the Pepsi. It's taken the place of cigs. That is a mistake you don't want to even start rj - a crutch! I'm up 40 pounds now. I want to stop so bad but have every excuse in the book.

Let's make a pact rj. What do you say? Maybe a little healthy competition will help it? Stress the "healthy" Or a bet?

HELP!

I'm in (i say that in as much honesty as i can.....i can't guarantee anything...but i'm trying). I'm currently in the midst of what would be a dip-time for me, and i'm holding firm without one.
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 07:53 PM

I smoked. Quit. Smoked again. Quit back in February 2011. Did it for over 20 years.

If you really want to quit you will succeed. You'll need to find something else to take place of dipping. I turned to exercising and trying to be healthier. And Diet Dr. Pepper. To be truthful, I turned to exercising so I could eat cake blush

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 08:20 PM

I've been trying to eat better lately too....i've lost 10 lbs. over the last couple of months...would like to lose about 10 more. I actually used to smoke too (occasionally still do, but only when drinking beer and playing poker).
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Things that may help,
! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?
WRONG! Nicotine binds to hemoglobin and a molecule of hemoglobin can only carry one other molecule, it can be nictine or it can be oxygen. It cant be both. Once you quit and you get it all out of your system, you will have more energy and endurance!

BBB Can you send a source for this? My hubby powerlifts and I wonder if maybe this little bit of info might spur him in the right direction?
Thanks!!!
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 08:31 PM

raitchjay I applaud your decision. I can only imagine the challange it will be but I am here to cheer you on! You will do it.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 08:32 PM

Thanks RC.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/20/14 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I actually was doing that earlier today.....i spend about $135/month on it, or $1620/year. It's definitely a good idea.

That's a good amount for a vacation somewhere. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie

Things that may help,
! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?

BBB Can you send a source for this? My hubby powerlifts and I wonder if maybe this little bit of info might spur him in the right direction?
Thanks!!!

Sorry I found the opposite so I decline to send the cite. but will keep on looking

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 01:50 PM

Only 4 dips yesterday.....skipped my first dip this morning...the plan is for only 3. The next step i think is to shorten the amount of time i keep them in.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 01:53 PM

My husband is now 4 years smoke-free after roughly 20 years of being a smoker. He'd tried to quit several times in the past, and used everything from gum to Chantixx. This time patches helped him out some but he says the biggest difference was that this time he really wanted to quit. It's all about you, my friend.

Best of luck!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 01:57 PM

Thanks Becca....it's kinda cool...i'm trying to enjoy the 'clean' feeling when i don't have a dip....and telling myself 'this isn't that hard'.....so far, i like where it's going. I think i just need to stay on course though and not rush the process, if that makes sense.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 01:59 PM

I was thinking about you this morning, raitchjay. Glad things are progressing. Remember - YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 01:59 PM

Certainly does. If it helps any, he was down to only a couple of cigs a day (just when driving) when the quit finally stuck. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 02:00 PM

Thanks Skittles...the positive thoughts help a lot.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 02:02 PM

Going from a totally out-of-control, eating just to dip, dipping even when you don't really 'want' a dip to a somewhat-controlled dipper feels like a big step. It's only a start, but it is at least that. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie

Things that may help,

Thanks!!!

It was an article that I read probably around 2005. I'll try to find it, or some other source.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 02:16 PM

Another option is to find a girlfriend who refuses to kiss you while you have a dip in or until you have brushed your teeth after...that might motivate you too.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Another option is to find a girlfriend who refuses to kiss you while you have a dip in or until you have brushed your teeth after...that might motivate you too.

That might indeed. I'm definitely open to it. smile

My ex-wife, even when we were dating, never minded me dipping. She'd even kiss me goodbye if i had a dip in. Dipping was a lot more socially acceptable then though (it seems to me). When i started dipping way back when, just about everyone in my peer group did it....girls just expected and accepted it.
Posted By: ecrew,CRCM

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 02:58 PM

My husband used to dip, when he decided to quit it was up to him. It didn't matter what I said, or anyone else for that matter. He tried quitting a few times, and he always went back to it. He finally came to the decision to quit when he found out that cancer runs in his family and that dipping wasn't helping his odds.

He quit when he was out of town on a business trip. He pretty much did it cold turkey, but he kept an un-open can of his favorite dip in his pocket. He felt like that gave him comfort knowing that it was there it he truly needed to have it. (He never opened it). His other trick was when he did get an urge, he would roll over a small piece of paper towel and place it in his mouth where he would normally place the dip. Subconsciously, it helped him.
He has been dip-free over 10 years now, and still will look at a can of dip at the store and go "MMMMM." I look at him and remind him that our oldest daughter would give him the biggest riot act in the entire universe if he would even think about it.

Good luck raitchjay!! You can do this!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 03:10 PM

The un-opened can in the pocket thing i totally get.....it does help just knowing that it's there. I'm sure my addiction is mental to some degree...i think my biggest challenge is after meals.....it's just pleasurable to me (and has always been a part of my life) to pack in a big dip after a satisfying meal.

Thanks for the encouragmenet lcrew.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 03:13 PM

Big wad of Chewing gum instead?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 03:14 PM

Ed, i do think that when i reach my actual quit date, i'm gonna need to start chewing some gum or something.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 03:56 PM

You got this!! We're proud of you!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 03:58 PM

Thanks EGB. (I know you already 'knew' i was gonna quit.) smile
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 04:11 PM

Yes, and I see you being very successful at quitting! (Not that there won't be some backsliding, but in the end? Totally successful.)

::cue spooky music::

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 04:21 PM

smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 04:58 PM

The un-opened can in the pocket thing i totally get.....it does help just knowing that it's there. I'm sure my addiction is mental to some degree...i think my biggest challenge is after meals.....it's just pleasurable to me (and has always been a part of my life) to pack in a big dip after a satisfying meal.

Thanks for the encouragmenet lcrew.

Make no mistake, the stuff is addictive as he11. They even formulate it to make it more addictive by increasing the nicotine content. BUt you are correct, it is the mental part that is the hardest. Depending on which study you go by, the junk is out of your system and you are clean within 30 days. BUt its the association with activities or time of day that is hard to get past. In other words, the "habit". Just know that you built that habit, so you are capapble of building new habits. Habits that do not include carcinogens. wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 05:11 PM

Yes, i need to build a new habit...or just un-build this one.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 05:16 PM

When my dad quit smoking in about 1985 - at 1-2 packs a day - he used chewing gum as his substitute. He chewed a LOT of gum for about 5 years, and he never went back. I know smoking and dipping are different, so I don't know if that would work for you.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 05:22 PM

I think it might help....i'm considering it, especially as i get closer to my drop-dead date.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 05:23 PM

I think it might help....i'm considering it, especially as i get closer to my drop-dead date.

I think that all of us are getting closer to our drop-dead date.
laugh
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 05:23 PM

You totally got this! Good luck, raitchjay. I'll keep you in my prayers, and send good thoughts your way. If you ever need encouragament, this is the place! I quit smoking years ago and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Forgive yourself if you mess up and each new sunrise is a new chance to start over. Slow and steady wins ANY race. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 05:41 PM

laugh Ed...true.

I feel a little bit guilty at times...i mean, the average person looking at me today would just think "hmm...there's a guy that dips"....but small steps, small steps....

Thanks BurntSienna.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 06:15 PM

quit smoking cold turkey many years ago after seeing a picture of myself with my daughter in one arm and a cigarette in my other hand. I still shudder at the image.

Your article is the same thing for you. As someone already suggested, keep it handy and reread as often as necessary.

I find it helps to substitute something else for whatever you're trying to give up. Substitute a walk for your current after dinner habit. Do a crossword. Anything that will take your mind off what you are not doing.

It takes 21 days to make something a habit. That's really not that long. Let me know when I should start the countdown to your new dip free habit! Good luck!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 06:18 PM

Thanks TR.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 06:57 PM

Way to go raitchjay! I enjoy getting reading your updates and it looks like you have made good progress already.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: basilring
When my dad quit smoking in about 1985 - at 1-2 packs a day - he used chewing gum as his substitute. He chewed a LOT of gum for about 5 years, and he never went back. I know smoking and dipping are different, so I don't know if that would work for you.

My dad used caramels and peppermints to end his 40 year cigar habit. He quit cold turkey and never looked back, however....

5 years later he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. wink

You might want to go the gum route!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 08:01 PM

Haha...good idea. I'm doing ok today...haven't cheated...just 2 dips......last one later after supper.
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 08:09 PM

I had a coworker that got lip cancer at the age of 31 from chewing tobacco. His routine sounded about like yours and it scared him onto the straight and narrow. His wife was pregnant with their first child and he got a huge wakeup call. He started chewing gum, putting that shredded beef jerky or coffee grounds in instead of dip and finally he was able to quit. Sadly, he's missing a couple of front teeth from the cancer and part of his lower lip.

You can beat this! We've got faith in you!!!!! grin

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 08:15 PM

Thanks Sci......i really want to be able to quit worrying about it (there's that false sense of security i used to have of 'well, i've been doing this 30 years...if i was gonna get cancer, would already have it by now'). That last article just drove home for me that that isn't the case. (Why do things we enjoy have to be bad for us?)
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 08:43 PM

4 pages is too much to read through to see if this was already suggested...

hypnosis

my dad did it to quit smoking and never touched them since...they do a group session then a follow up private session...dad went to the group session and never needed the private one as he stopped when he was at the group...almost 20 years ago, hasn't had one since...

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/21/14 08:53 PM

I'll keep that in mind if this doesn't work. Thanks.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 02:07 PM

ooh! Do it anyway! most insurancw covers it and is unbelievably relaxing!!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 02:11 PM

I wonder if it could help me stop eating when I'm not hungry. Hmmmm. Might have to think about it and see if I can find it locally.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 02:13 PM

will they make him act like a chicken (or a chick).

I saw that when a Hypnotist was at a club one time. It was historical.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Skittles
I wonder if it could help me stop eating when I'm not hungry. Hmmmm. Might have to think about it and see if I can find it locally.

Skittles - they do have a hypnosis session for this, i know someone who went and it was successful for them...

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 03:10 PM

Thanks Happy. Like I said - I may have to check in to this.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 03:18 PM

our EAP actually has both weight loss and smoking cessation classes as free options for employees...may want to see if your bank does something similar

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 07:46 PM

Full disclosure: i just cheated. I feel bad.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 07:55 PM

Unfortunately, it happens. Now get right back on the right track.

Here's a thought, what if you wrote in big bold letters, CANCER on the lid of your can. Do you think that will help deter you?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 07:56 PM

Hmmm...it might. It's something to think about. Thanks.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 07:59 PM

chew gum instead...keep packs everywhere...car...desk...home...pockets...european handbag...murse...whatever it takes
Posted By: kw004h

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 09:20 PM

Someone close to me struggled to come up with a reason to give up smoking for a long time, claiming if George Burns could live so long with a daily cigar and martini habit, then he wasn't concerned about cancer, etc. etc..

Eventually, he says he realized that health reasons aside, he was tired of "being addicted," and knowing that this addiction was in control of certain factors of his life.... Like, how often he needed to go outside in cold weather for a cigarette break, or how often he needed to excuse himself from social occasions to go smoke.

I understand dipping might not have similar "control" aspects of your every day life because you can usually partake in public spaces, but maybe like my friend, if the potential health risks aren't a strong enough factor to influence you, perhaps the desire to take control might be.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/22/14 10:19 PM

It really is the potential health risks that are my primary reason for wanting to quit at this point. The money i would save by quitting runs a distant 2nd. But i'll take any motivation i can at this point....thanks.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 01:13 PM

how did the weekend go?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 01:18 PM

Good. I stuck to my plan of only 3 dips a day. Didn't cheat.
Posted By: burkemi

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 01:43 PM

I'm an ex-dipper myself. And recently at that (since April). From experience I can tell you it is a tough fight, but you can beat it. The things that tended to help me most were finding suitable substitutes to help with the oral cravings. I used hard candies and sunflower seeds. I also found different ways to occupy my time - whittling for one. I'm not very good at it, but the important part is that I enjoy it and it keeps my mind occupied and distracted. I went "cold turkey," but fell off the wagon a few times. If or when that happens be sure you don't give up. People tend to say that you need to start over again when that happens, but you're not starting over; you're continually moving forward. Some days and temptations will be harder than others, but keep your mindset that you ARE stronger than tobacco!

I won't say Good Luck, because you've already got it!!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 01:56 PM

Ohhh. I forgot to mention. I found that drinking a strong cup of coffee helps too.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:10 PM

Thanks for the encouragement burkemi....it's nice coming from an ex-dipper who knows what i'm going thru. (I've noticed in the past--i'm not a big coffee drinker, though i do like coffee--that coffee tends to coat the roof of my mouth or something, and of course, the taste tends to stay in your mouth.....making dipping less enjoyable....is that what you mean by that?)

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:11 PM

I've found dipping in general to be less enjoyable also after eating ice cream or dairy products in general.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:23 PM

glad to hear about your successful weekend! awesome news... keep it going!

I love what burkemi said about not starting over, but moving forward... I fall off the wagon a lot with dieting and will use that for sure... will make me feel better about the next move, for sure... and less of a failure (which tends to send me 3 steps back!).

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:35 PM

Yeah raitchjay!! It's one day at a time. Keeping moving forward.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:39 PM

^^ what lcrew said, one day at a time. You are doing great!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:41 PM

To be honest, I've never actually tried to examine why the coffee thing worked - I just know it did; but I've been a coffee drinker for a while anyway, I just added an extra couple scoops of grounds into the mix to make it stronger than usual.

From the sounds of it, my habit was much like you described yours. If I was awake and wasn't eating, there was a good chance that I had a dip in my mouth. Mine was about a 20 year habit, about a can per day, about 4 or 5 dips to a can.

Keep posting and keep going. I'll help as much as I can from this end. And talk.....talk about your cravings and the wants. It seemed like it helped me put it in perspective. I read on some early posts about the "control" factor. Talking about the cravings and wants helps you identify just how much control you've allowed this habit to exert in your life.

---And I had never noticed that about ice cream. But even now when I eat something sweet I will immediately eat something salty, even if its just a few crackers. I wonder if maybe that was a subconcious development???? Interesting.....

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 02:50 PM

Thanks basilring, lcrew, mani, and burkemi. Burk....for me, the think about milk and dairy is kinda like the coffee....anything that sorta coats the inside of the mouth seems to take away the enjoyment of snuff. I think this is part of the reason i drink a lot of water....water is neutral and tends to wash away other flavors. When i get a dip, i want to taste the snuff, not anything else.

I've definitely noticed i'm using less snuff. If i had maintained my normal use, i'd be down to about 2 cans left now. I have 4 now. I'm thinking the next step for me is going to be: dip 1, instead of staying in my mouth for an hour or more, will become a 30-45 minute dip. Later, that's what dip 2 will become. Then the same for dip 3. Then 20-30 minutes...and so on. I THINK that's what might work for me.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 03:12 PM

That sounds like a 'sound' plan...shorten the length of time now.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 03:45 PM

Burk....you've been dipless for a few months (congrats)....are you still tempted? Does a dip still sound good to you, or are you (hopefully) past that? Just asking, cuz i'm sitting here thinking that a dip will ALWAYS sound good to me, and i'm wondering how i'll deal with that.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 03:51 PM

Hate to tell you this raitchjay, but for some of recovering tobacco addicts (I quit smoking 7ish years ago, and my dad quit 46 years ago), it still tempts us from time to time. Not for everyone. But for some... For me, it's in certain situations or if I'm feeling very down or in a social drinking situation. Just brain triggers, I think, because it's times when I used to light up.

But it's just like the temptation to eat an entire triple chocolate cake, for me. I want to, but I know it isn't good for me. And I know if I have a bite, I'll want a whole slice, and if I eat a slice, I'll want a second, so I exercise self control and I just don't!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 03:57 PM

Thanks BurntSienna...i figure i'm the kind of person that will always have that temptation as well.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 03:57 PM

I smoked cigarettes for 10 years, from 17 to 27 years old. I quit cold turkey. It took a long time for the cravings to go away completely. I'm thinking it was a good 10 years or so. It wasn't so much that I wanted to smoke, but it was the time of day or the circumstances that made me think about it. Like after dinner with a cup of coffee, etc. Now, I absolutely despise the smell of cigarette smoke and I don't know why I ever enjoyed it in the first place. I know I did enjoy it though (and it was cool back then).

You're on your way, raitchjay. We'll be here to support you.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 04:01 PM

Raitchjay - The want still hits me every now and then. Like Burnt said, its usually during familiar situations. But for me, it is now just a passing want, and I don't know if that will ever go away. Yes, a dip still sounds good. But if I can offer any good news....I no longer have any strong desires for it. I am no longer really resisting temptation...just a simple "yep, that sounds good..." then a second or two later it passes for me. I think really that it iss more of just a memory than a want. I remember I used to like it, but no longer feel a real desire to do it. Hope that makes sence, its the best I can do to describe it.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 04:39 PM

I think it makes sense Burk, and it's an encouraging thought. Thanks. Thanks califgirl....it does help knowing others want me to succeed. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: burkemi
I think really that it iss more of just a memory than a want. I remember I used to like it, but no longer feel a real desire to do it. Hope that makes sence, its the best I can do to describe it.

I know exactly what you mean. It is more like a memory of what I used to like.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
That sounds like a 'sound' plan...shorten the length of time now.

I agree; sounds like it's up to snuff. Get it?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 07:51 PM

^^ Corny joke......but I like it! hahaha

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: burkemi
^^ Corny joke......but I like it! hahaha

If raitchjay doesn't quit I will continue. How's that for motivation laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/25/14 09:27 PM

Hahaha. It's been a tough day.......i'm trying to stay positive.....i still am dipping less than i was a few days ago.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 12:45 PM

have you tried chewing gum instead, even if it is the nicotine gum?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 01:22 PM

No Happy, but i'm seriously starting to consider it. I'm also contemplating moving from what i'm doing to cold turkey (that's where the gum would come in).....

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 01:58 PM

I think Burk summed it up perfectly up ^^^ on how I am about cigs. I smoked for more years than I even care to admit. Once in awhile I get the urge...but it passes quickly...and if I smell one, I go like 'oh heck no!'. What was I thinking!!!

Once in a blue moon a freshly lit one will smell really good...but the after affects are just plain stinky enough for me to not want to go there!

Dip is different in that regard, but it has it's own special kind of 'stinky' and 'nasty'....so I could still see similar 'oh heck no's' available for it too as an incentive to 'just don't do it'.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 02:00 PM

There is some herbal snuff (tobacco free, nicotine free, no carcinogens.....) I found a brand called Smokey Mountain. Comes in wintergreen, mint, berry......others. If you're thinking about just going cold turkey you might give it a try. The WalMart here carries it, that's how I found it. I don't know if its in all WalMarts or online or where???? Just thought I'd throw it out there. But it is a little more expensive than the brand that I used.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 02:08 PM

Thanks...i should consider it...but i've always thought that the herbal snuff would do zero for me......(kinda like once where i took a dip of Hawkens from somebody cuz i didn't have any Skoal Fine Cut.......it's like i would have needed to EAT it for it to have any effect at all).

I'm a lousy patient, i realize. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and encouragement.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 02:13 PM

hahaha. I completely understand. I didn't mention it in any of the earlier posts because it didn't do much for me either. Like I said, just wanted to throw it out there.

I know all to well what you mean by another brand of dip. I was Grizzly or Kodiak long cut wintergreen.......nothing else would do.

But in the end hard candies and sunflower seeds helped me curb the oral cravings the most.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 02:16 PM

Thanks....i DO think i'm gonna have to use something for the oral cravings...right now i'm thinking gum...but i kinda like the idea of hard candies (i've noticed when i use cough drops that i get the thing i talked about earlier...the coating of my mouth....which makes it sort of unappealing to get a dip).

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 02:25 PM

I'm also digging the idea of keeping an unopened can of skoal for 'security' purposes. I'd like it to be without me going to buy another one....so that would mean cold turkey would need to start soon.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 02:42 PM

If it works for you, then great! But I never had the nerve to try it - I was afraid I'd cheat on myself.

But of all the ideas and suggestions and thoughts made by everyone on this thread (and in real life too I assume) just make sure you pick what works best for you and stick to it.
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 03:09 PM

hit this thread by accident, so maybe I am just supposed to toss my 2c in. I managed to quit smoking some years ago after too many years of it.

I did (and still do) have the last box of smokes from twenty-some years ago. Sometimes when a craving hit, I could pull out the box and go through my routine of rubbing my thumb along it, smacking it on the heel of my hand etc...and then it would pass.

I smoked three cigs the first year of cold-turkeying. Each time I went into a bar or somewhere similar and bought an incredibly overpriced box, pulled out one to smoke and tossed the rest right then and there.

It's whatever works for you....I also had a great support system at home. As above, every now and then a fresh one smells really good!

Last time I touched those smokes was 9 years ago now when I was unemployed. My co-workers took me out the night I was let go. I had the box on the bar and one of the gals from financial reporting bummed one while I was in the restroom. We still laugh over that. She quit later.

All the best!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 03:17 PM

Thanks C.T. I think i'm gonna pick up some hard candies at lunch.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 03:19 PM

Brachs?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 03:21 PM

lol....probably not.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 03:24 PM

Peppermints and caramels worked for my dad when he was quitting cigars. He said they took care of the flavor craving better than anything else.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 05:34 PM

<<<---likes blu rasperry dum dums. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/26/14 05:49 PM

I bought some Werther's Originals...i'm on my 2nd one (they're very good). I'm not normally a hard candy person...but i think these will be key in quitting for me....i hope anyway.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 01:42 PM

How are the Werther's working out?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 01:45 PM

They helped yesterday afternoon, although i ended up eating about 6 of them (i was REALLY wanting a dip yesterday afternoon). It's an odd process....at times, it seems like i'll be able to do it...at other times, i think "who am i kidding?".

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 02:08 PM

It's an odd process....at times, it seems like i'll be able to do it...at other times, i think "who am i kidding?".

It is an odd process and you'll go through that for a little while. But it does it get easier. Plenty of college football this weekend - plenty to keep yourself occupied.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 02:19 PM

Keep it up raitchjay... when you think "who am I kidding?", turn that into "I am not going to kid myself back into doing it"

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 02:20 PM

I guess because i haven't done the cold turkey thing, it's easy for me to think i haven't made any 'real' progress. I'm very pumped about the college football....but as i'm sure you can relate, part of my ritual is having a dip whilst watching.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 02:35 PM

Be careful with the "I haven't made any 'real' progress" part. Its easy to make excuses for yourself and that's the kind of thought that will lead there......"I haven't made any progress anyway, so I might as well just get a dip."

And I know all about ritualistic dips......
Sports dip--movie dip--after dinner/lunch/etc dip--road trip dip-

But it seems like it just took a week or two to turn that around and you'll no longer "need" that ritual.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 02:42 PM

Good point on the progress thing.....i'll try to avoid that mentality.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 06:01 PM

Go someplace to watch the game that doesn't allow you to dip.
A sports bar will put you in the middle of other people enjoying the game and a beer or munchies and not a dip.
As I recall, you've already promised not to buy anymore, right?
So go far enough away to make it inconvenient to go home to get the dip you'll leave there.

As others have said, you're not kidding about this at all. You've made real progress. So knock that red devil off your shoulder and listen to the cute one on the other shoulder. She likes you chewless. wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 06:02 PM

I hope not to buy anymore......I'm currently down to a can and a half.... i'm hoping i'm able to not buy anymore.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 06:31 PM

Do or do not, there is not try! You've got this!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 06:46 PM

smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 08:43 PM

Fantastic progress! We are proud of you, RHJ.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/27/14 10:14 PM

smile

I do not approve. That should be incentive enough! wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 12:45 AM

Thanks BurntSienna....and laugh Kaybee.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 01:07 PM

I hope not to buy anymore......I'm currently down to a can and a half.... i'm hoping i'm able to not buy anymore.

Quit quitting on yourself. You've got this.
Get rid of the voice that makes you second guess your resolve and just do the thing.
We believe in you. Believe in yourself.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: QCL

Quit quitting on yourself. You've got this.
Get rid of the voice that makes you second guess your resolve and just do the thing.
We believe in you. Believe in yourself.

Couldn't agree more. Don't provide yourself an easy way out...instead of "I hope not to buy anymore," change your thinking to a positive mindset..."I WON'T buy anymore."

Just out of curiosity, did anyone watch the Abilene/Georgia St game last night?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 01:40 PM

Not trying to be negative...i just don't like making promises that i can't or won't keep. Not saying i 'can't' or 'won't', but this stuff has a serious hold on me, and has for 30 years.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 02:05 PM

I understand the hold. And I remember that quitting does suck, very bad. But I also know that its possible. It gets a little easier, and a little easier, and a little easier...then one day you kind of realize that you don't really "want" it anymore, you just remember that you used to like it.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 02:08 PM

Good thought to keep in mind...
Posted By: DoS

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 03:02 PM

I always thought "I have to quit this time, because I don't want to go through quitting a second time"

Quitting is terrible
Posted By: JSD

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 03:16 PM

Been there done this (cigys though!) and the best advice is don't let those thoughts stay in your mind for any length of time. If something triggers it, change your thoughts quickly. DO NOT DWELL on it or you will be reaching and it won't be for the candy. You can do this and the biggest battle is getting your mind straight that dip days are over. Once you have that clear you will succeed. It is one of the hardest things to beat, but it can be done! Words like try, maybe, if are not part of your language right now. Stay positive and focused and you will be in control and not that can of stuff!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/28/14 03:50 PM

That's the thing.....i have to really believe that "dip days are over". I'm still fighting that. I do agree it's gonna have to be me......it will have to be a decision.....right now, my decision has only been to cut back (which i have), it hasn't been to stop.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/29/14 02:19 PM

If you can decide to cut back you can definitely decide to quit - I think the former takes more willpower than the latter. It's much easier to say "no thanks" to the M&Ms entirely than to say "I will only have 3 M&Ms" and stick to it. smile Good for you for making progress!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/29/14 03:38 PM

Quote:
Not trying to be negative...i just don't like making promises that i can't or won't keep.

Quote:
right now, my decision has only been to cut back (which i have), it hasn't been to stop.

You're waffling.
That's understandable considering how long you've had this habit.
But that's just it.
It is a habit.
You can make a new habit to replace this bad one.
Go back and look at how you titled this thread.
You want to quit.
You've started to quit.
The only thing standing between you and doing what you said you needed advice on doing is your own resolve.
All of us, former smokers and chewers and those who have other habits they've broken, are right here, waving our pom poms and cheering you on.
YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!!
Posted By: toxfox13

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/29/14 03:50 PM

I didnt read through all of the comments so hopefully this hasnt already been said, but my father dipped for 25ish years and found a website online that changed his life. It is basically an online support group that helps you take it a day at a time. I was amazed at how it got him through. I texted him and asked him for the name of it and I will get it back to you. smile I quit smoking cold turkey but it was probably much easier for me, I had only been smoking 4 years and found out I was pregnant. Good luck on your journey!
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/29/14 03:54 PM

TR's right...we've all been there...and now we are all right here with you.

And Becca is right, too, what you are doing is harder than walking away. I couldn't have cut back (and I can't have three M&M's either!) but I could figue out something else to do during my fav cig times of the day.

And I could do a little OCD mindplay by going through the rituals with the box and my hands w/o actually lighting that smoke.

You're going to make this work for you. And you will be so glad when you can look back on it.
Posted By: toxfox13

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 08/29/14 04:20 PM

http://www.killthecan.org

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/02/14 03:10 PM

How'd your long weekend go??

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/02/14 03:16 PM

Went ok......i'm just thinking i need to go cold turkey soon. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and links friday...i wasn't around.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/02/14 03:20 PM

Went ok......i'm just thinking i need to go cold turkey soon. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and links friday...i wasn't around.

Wild turkey may be more to your liking laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 03:28 PM

2 weeks ago, i would have already had 2 dips by this time of day. Haven't had a dip yet today. No more than 2 dips for me today.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 03:31 PM

2 weeks ago, i would have already had 2 dips by this time of day. Haven't had a dip yet today. No more than 2 dips for me today.

Thats pretty darn good!
I have more dips than that sitting in my outer office right now. crazy laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 03:33 PM

laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 03:45 PM

Thats pretty darn good!
I have more dips than that sitting in my outer office right now. crazy laugh

laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 04:21 PM

:waves pompoms vigorously:
YEA!!!
laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
:waves pompoms vigorously:
YEA!!!
laugh

She ^^^^ doesn't waive those things for just everyone ya know!!!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 04:54 PM

That's awesome raitch. Keep it up. Have you replinished your snuff supply?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 05:12 PM

Yes...i bought more last week (i didn't buy 3 rolls at a time like i used to do...just 1). I'm about to run out again.....if i feel like i need to buy more, i will i guess.....i'm just gonna try to not backtrack......stay at 2 dips a day til i can cut it to 1 dip a day...and then to cold turkey.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 05:38 PM

What does that stuff cost now? I use to buy it by the sleeve for about $9.00. Every pair of Wranglers I owned had a circle warn into the right back pocket.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 05:52 PM

Well, used to be that a "roll" was 10 cans....nowadays a roll is 5 cans. By the roll, my Skoal Fine Cut costs around $23 now (it fluctuates, sometimes $22, sometimes as much as $25). Buy the can, it's even worse: over $5 a can.

I can remember getting a 10-can roll for under $30. (I'm sure it was cheaper than that when i was 14...but i honestly don't remember what i paid for it back then.)

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 05:54 PM

People always told me to try the cheaper brands....i did...i hated them. If i can't get to any Skoal Fine Cut, i'll dip Copenhagen....but that's the only substituting i can do. Can't even dip Skoal Long Cut....

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 06:06 PM

I would have quit long before I did if the tobacco prices were like that around here. Skoal, Coppenhagen, and Kodiak are still around $3.50 a can. Grizzly is about $2.50 - $2.75.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 06:11 PM

The prices i quoted there are the 'cheap' (read: Native American rest stop) prices. If you walk into a Love's or similar convenience store, you can pay $6.50 or more for a single can.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 06:22 PM

The prices I gave were pretty much average. Some places will almost reach $4 ($3 for the Griz)...but most stores are within a dime (higher or lower) of the prices I had mentioned.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 06:24 PM

I think Grizzly and the other cheap brands are cheaper relative to Skoal and Copenhagen...it's weird. You can probably get Grizzly and the like here for not all that much more than what you're quoting. But we get gouged on Skoal and Copenhagen here.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/03/14 07:59 PM

I guess its a good thing I quit. That would be a $100/month habit for me at a minimum. eek

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/15/14 12:41 PM

How's the quitting going raitch?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 01:31 PM

Eh. I haven't been as good. I'm trying to wean myself back down to 3 dips or so a day from 5 or 6 again.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 01:54 PM

(Sorry....i didn't see this til this morning.)

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 05:20 PM

It gets frustrating Raitch. But dont let it get you down. I tried to quit lot of times before it took. The first step is deciding that you want to. You've done that and the is a HUGE step. Hang in there and you will get it.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 05:39 PM

There's 'wanting to' and then there's 'wanting to'. Intellectually, i want to....habitually, i don't want to. Just a tough thing.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 06:03 PM

There's 'wanting to' and then there's 'wanting to'.

That may well be one of the best quotes I have ever heard and with your permission I will use it again!

It sounds overly simplistic, but I could not say it any better myself.

That is applicable to a lot of things.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 06:11 PM

I'll put it this way: if i KNEW there would be no health consequences from it, i'd never quit.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 06:25 PM

I'll put it this way: if i KNEW there would be no health consequences from it, i'd never quit.

I could easily say the same thing about red meat, BBQ, chocolate mousse......
and snuff. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 06:49 PM

There's 'wanting to' and then there's 'wanting to'.

That may well be one of the best quotes I have ever heard and with your permission I will use it again!

It sounds overly simplistic, but I could not say it any better myself.

That is applicable to a lot of things.

One of my trainers used to say, "There's a big difference between wish and want. Wishing is thinking it would be nice if... Want is being willing to work out the if."

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 06:53 PM

Also, there are levels of 'want'. Intellectually i 'want' to quit because i know it would be good for my overall health. Emotionally, chemically, habitually, etc. i 'want' a dip, many times throughout the day.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca
[quote=Bankbb1, PITA][quote=raitchjay]
One of my trainers used to say, "There's a big difference between wish and want. Wishing is thinking it would be nice if... Want is being willing to work out the if."

::Big thumbs up::

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/16/14 08:29 PM

It felt like I "quit" 100 times before it finally stuck. Like Bankbb said, you've decided to quit - that can be almost as hard as actually quitting. Remember that you're not starting over - just dust your pants off and get back on the horse; you'll get there!
Posted By: Smee

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 05:33 PM

Keep it up, Raitch. Our addictions don't really compare too well... I started smoking cigarettes when I was 16. Smoked 1-2 packs a day since I moved out of my parents' house at 18. I'm 28, now, and on DAY 2 of being nicotine-free. I've stayed away from my two main triggers: caffeine and alcohol. The only real withdrawal symptoms I've had are occasional headaches and thinking about murder an awful lot. ..Um, but yeah, my point is YOU CAN DO IT.

I don't plan on giving up the occasional cigar, but I'm waiting until passing the mythical "3-day hump" to enjoy one with a glass of good whiskey this weekend on the porch.

Have you tried exercising when you get a bad craving? Bike rides help me a lot. So does punching things. As long as it's THINGS, not PEOPLE.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 05:57 PM

I'm not doing well.....i'm back to 4-5 dips a day currently. Just have to see how it goes.....

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 06:01 PM

I'm also smoking 1-2 cigarettes a day. frown (I smoked before i ever dipped, and .....this is just me.....i could never smoke again WAY easier than never dipping again.)

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 06:01 PM

It takes 21 days to make a habit. That's a known psychological fact. Worked for me with getting in the habit of walking every day not just on nice days when I wasn't busy with other stuff. I found a calendar that I could put big Xs on hung right in my face on the bathroom mirror was a great reminder and motivator. Granted, exercising is not the same as breaking an addiction, so I'm just sharing ideas for tracking and, more importantly, encouraging yourself to keep with it.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 06:04 PM

Also, i've chewed tobacco (just mention it cuz many people seem to think chewing and dipping are synonymous, and they aren't. In my experience, chewing isn't nearly as addictive--nor as enjoyable--as dipping.)

TR thanks.....i just have to see where it goes. As i said earlier, for me, there's 'wanting' to and then there's 'wanting' to.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 06:32 PM

Anytime you need reinforcement, you've got a bunch of people here waiting with attaboys and ideas and kick-starts. We're your own private little support group. wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 06:41 PM

Keep in mind quitting takes practice...just keep practicing and don't beat yourself up when you cave. Just work yourself up to another practice session. wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 06:51 PM

Thanks. Yeah, i think that needs to be the plan.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 07:47 PM

Also, i've chewed tobacco (just mention it cuz many people seem to think chewing and dipping are synonymous, and they aren't. In my experience, chewing isn't nearly as addictive--nor as enjoyable--as dipping.)

TR thanks.....i just have to see where it goes. As i said earlier, for me, there's 'wanting' to and then there's 'wanting' to.

Geeze Raitch, I can remember being in college and having in a dip, a chew, drinking a beer and smoking a cigar. If I'd had another hand I would have needed another drug. crazy
You will beat it, just keep plugging away at it.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 08:04 PM

I once tried smoking a cigarette whilst having a dip......the cigarette taste ruined the dip for me.....was impossible for me to taste the dip properly.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 08:29 PM

How about some icky tobacco trivia? My grandfather used to feed his mules chewing tobacco (back when you had to 'cut a plug') to get rid of worms. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 08:44 PM

eek laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 08:46 PM

On the plus side, you can probably eat all the sushi and undercooked pork that you want. wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 08:58 PM

Never tried sushi......i don't even like to see a hint of pink in my pork. sick

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 10:52 PM

Well, at least that's one problem raitchjay doesn't have.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/24/14 11:50 PM

lol

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 01:09 PM

How about unwashed leafy greens?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 01:27 PM

raitchjay. Guaranteed worm free. grin

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 01:29 PM

Now THERE'S a pick-up line that won't fail!

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 01:33 PM

cool

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 01:58 PM

And we wonder why we cant find him a girlfriend.
crazy

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 03:09 PM

Cuz i'm too picky. smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/25/14 04:13 PM

Picken's can sometimes be slim in his neck of the woods! But I cant imagine anywhere that "worm free: wouldnt be a plus! laugh

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 09/26/14 12:28 AM

Make sure to include that in your match.com profile. wink

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 11/06/14 01:30 PM

Been a while, Raitch.....made any progress?

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 11/06/14 02:23 PM

No. I wasn't gonna bring people down....but i'm pretty much back to where i was, unfortunately.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 11/06/14 02:24 PM

It's okay...when you get ready again...practice again. One day practice will make perfect! smile

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 11/06/14 02:25 PM

Thanks Joker.....hopefully, that's how it will turn out.

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 11/06/14 02:30 PM

Really and truly speaking - it was about a year-long fight from the first time I quit, until I actually managed to do it. But like Joker said, practice will make perfect - just gotta keep at it.
Posted By: Smee

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 12/09/14 07:40 PM

Have you considered using nasal snuff? Plenty of nicotine with practically no ill side effects (not counting brown boogers, of course).

Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice - 12/09/14 09:10 PM

Snorting snuff? Who knew? crazy