Colonoscopy Screening

Posted By: thomasj

Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 05:37 PM

I turned 50 this past June. I went for a routine Dr. visit and my primary care physician told me what I did not want to hear, that I needed to have a colonoscopy. I had some lame excuses and figured I could put this off for a couple of more years at least. He insisted that I do a less invasive screening at home. When the results for that came back, he insisted that I needed to have a colonoscopy. I reluctantly agreed and had the procedure done yesterday. They removed three "Grape Sized" polyps from my colon that appear to be benign according to the fantastic general surgeon, though they will of course be sent to the lab for confirmation. He said given the size of these polyps, in two to three years they could have turned cancerous. I will need another colonoscopy next year and I will not hesitate.

The doctor who performed the procedure told me that there are no physical symptoms to polyps or early stage colon cancer and that the only way to know for sure is to have a colonoscopy. He stated that once symptoms begin, the cancer can be in a very advanced stage. I am very thankful that the screening that I did at home indicated that I needed the procedure. If it had not, I very likely would have put off the procedure until it was too late.

The reason I am telling this story is in case someone is putting this off, you really shouldn't. It is inconvenient and somewhat embarrassing but I am so glad I had it done. I can't even imagine the consequences for myself and my family if I hadn't.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 06:13 PM

The colonoscopy isn't bad, it's the prep the day before. Buy the most plush toilet paper you can. Seriously, everyone should take TJ's advice. Don't be like my brother-in-law who would never get one, and didn't know he had a problem until he had rectal bleeding. He had stage 4 colon cancer. After a long, horrible ordeal, he survived, but his health has never been 100% of what it was before the cancer.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 06:29 PM

Scheduled for my first one in about a month...like you, i wasn't looking forward to it and in the past would have put it off....but with my brother passing away from kidney cancer 2 years ago, i am now willing to do it. Hopefully it goes ok and i don't have to do it again for 10 years or so.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:04 PM

The prep that my doctor recommended wasn't that bad. It was a 10oz bottle of magnesium citrate and two tablets of over the counter laxative, very inexpensive and very effective. I drank about another half bottle of the magnesium citrate to be sure. It was no where near as bad as I had imagined it would be. Get some flushable wet wipes - it was a much appreciated recommendation from a friend. also, refrigerate the magnesium citrate to get it as cold as possible as it is not the most pleasant tasting stuff.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need to go back for another 10 years, but I will gladly do whatever the doctor recommends. I have NO recollection of the procedure itself (anesthesia is a wonderful thing), but seeing the pictures of the polyps was confirmation that the doctor absolutely knows better than I do.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:11 PM

The zero recollection (as others have told me) was the other clincher for me.....i figure as long as i'm not gonna remember it, i can go through it......everybody says that drinking the stuff is the worst part, but bad-tasting food/drink isn't that big a deal to me.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:23 PM

My doctor said she eventually tasted that stuff and said she just couldn't give that to her patients [assume it's the same] so she gives miralax powder [tasteless] and an OTC softener. No biggie, although as much as I had to drink to consumer the miralax, had I known it was completely tasteless for certain, I would have done all water and no juices...so much juice was difficult...that and no eating [because I LIKE to EAT].

the procedures itself is uneventful. Twilight sleep is a wonderful thing...best rest I've had in a very long time, when I had it done. I had a couple small polyps so will have to have it done in another 5, which is probably like 3 now...but oh well...so long as I can wrangle a ride there and back, I know it's not that big of a deal anymore smile
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:23 PM

A friend recommended getting some Baby Butt Paste to use during prep. She was right.

I was having 2 tests run that day - one the colonoscopy and the other required running a scope down my throat. My doc said he would try to remember to change the scope for the 2nd one!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:25 PM

shocked!!!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:26 PM

Some preps make you drink a LOT from what I've read (like 64oz) but this little bottle of lemon flavored stuff wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Like I said, it wasn't that bad. In fact, I was afraid it hadn't worked because it wasn't as bad as I had expected but the doctor said the prep was excellent. My other big hurdle was the IV. I do not like being hooked up to anything and have this totally irrational fear of the IV tube catching on something and ripping out of my hand. I was thankful for it when they rolled me into the room and it was like someone turned a switch - two hours later I woke up in recovery.
Posted By: doodles

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:26 PM

That must be a standard comment because my surgeon said the same thing!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:37 PM

The stuff that thomasj is referencing above is what my doctor prescribed and I couldn't get it down - and almost got sick. IT WAS HORRIBLE!! I had to postpone my second one because of that (had polyps on my first) - so I'm trying a different doctor (and I've moved states) and will try again in January or February. I can drink the magnesium citrate and swallow a couple of pills.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 07:47 PM

I had to drink a lot, but with the miralax. I say a lot, but it was only 8 oz x 8 I guess...it wasn't bad, but it was so NOT bad, it would have been easier in just plain ole water.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 09:01 PM

So, what is the name of the 'really bad stuff'....i'm sorta wondering now if that's what i got cuz he said he could give me the best, strongest version, or the weaker, "not as good" version and i said just to give me the first one. Like i said, i figured i could handle it....but now i'm wondering if it's just positively so putrid that i won't be able to get it down.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By raitchjay
So, what is the name of the 'really bad stuff'....i'm sorta wondering now if that's what i got cuz he said he could give me the best, strongest version, or the weaker, "not as good" version and i said just to give me the first one. Like i said, i figured i could handle it....but now i'm wondering if it's just positively so putrid that i won't be able to get it down.
I believe it is Polyethylene glycol. I've done a lot of research and this is what a lot of people describe as nasty. There are high and low volume methods that use this product as well as a split dose method.

My doc's prep instructions were one bottle of magnesium citrate (10oz) and 2 Dulcolax tablets the afternoon before the procedure. He told me that I could get it at any drug store or grocery store and he was correct. I began drinking more water than normal and ate lightly the day before the prep and continued to drink a lot of water along with white grape juice the day of the prep. I drank the prep and took the tablets at about 12:30 in the afternoon. I was to eat no solid food the day of the prep and honestly didn't want to. I drank another half bottle about 5:00 in the afternoon just to be sure. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day of the procedure.

The magnesium citrate is not pleasant tasting, but it's not horrible. I had no trouble at all getting it down. I didn't have any cramping or pain during the prep.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 09:21 PM

Thanks TJ...i'll check it tonight, as i already have the kit. I know that my instructions involve drinking the stuff (not sure yet how much water you're supposed to mix with it) at 6:00 p.m. and midnight the night before.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/27/17 09:25 PM

One other question i just thought of....if my schedule is supposed to be 6 p.m. and midnight the night before....and be at the hospital at 7:30 the next morning....does that mean i'm pretty much gonna be on the toilet from midnight to whenever i leave for the hospital?

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/28/17 01:16 AM

I'd be concerned about taking something at midnight! Like I said, I started my prep at 12:30 in the afternoon and by 10pm I was comfortable enough to go to bed and sleep. I was out of the bathroom by late afternoon though I didn't go far as I was in and out a few times after. I too had to be at the hospital at 7:30 in the morning and was thankful to get some rest the night before.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/28/17 07:37 PM

Thanks for the memories. And describing it best was a Dave Barry article from the Miami Herald a few years ago.

Rant warning - close the door to your office before reading!

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/28/17 09:19 PM

Great article!

The first one was truly an event. The second, no, not really. Consider the alternative...

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/30/17 02:08 PM

Hilarious! laugh!
Posted By: one deer

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/30/17 06:08 PM

Yes people please please get your baseline colonoscopy at 50 and then do a repeat as often as your doctor recommends. My dear sweet brother-in-law never had one and the cancer was beyond stage 4 when found. He fought a heroic battle including surgeries and chemo but the cancer won; and the end was hellishly unpleasant. The prep can be unpleasant but pales in comparison to undiscovered cancer.
Posted By: Christine81

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 10/30/17 06:41 PM

Agreed ... get your screening. I had two co-workers go in for there 50 year screening and discover they had colon cancer. The first one they couldn't even finish the test ... couldn't get the scope past the tumor. After many chemo treatments she is about a five year survivor. The second one (and current co-worker) was diagnosed with stage four, and it had spread to his liver. He has had a colon resection and part of his liver removed, and is fighting a great fight (3 years in November).

I agree, the prep is the worst. My first one I felt some discomfort, however, for my one last year they gave me the Michael Jackson drug ... great stuff. Boom you are asleep ... boom you are awake with no side effects and no memory of the procedure.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/21/17 03:00 PM

Got it done.....think i'm good for another 5 years. The day before is absolutely the worst part.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/21/17 04:12 PM

Anyone know how well the colon test they advertise on TV works? Get, Go, Gone is their catch phrase, Colo-Guard I think is the name. Sounds way easier than a colonoscopy.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/21/17 04:20 PM

https://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20140813/new-colon-cancer-test#1
Posted By: Reg Warrior

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/21/17 05:19 PM

Recently (last 5-10 years) the HMO we use started sending a test similar to Colo-Guard to members when they turn 50, then every three years after that. My husband has done the test twice and passed with flying colors.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/22/17 12:24 AM

I did that test. My doctor insisted on it when I was hesitant to schedule a colonoscopy. The test is only designed to find traces of blood in your stool which could indicate polyps. It could also be caused by many other issues. My test was positive; however, given the simplicity of the colonoscopy procedure, I wouldn't want to rely on that test. I'd rather be sure, and the only way to be sure it's to do the colonoscopy.
Posted By: Cyndi12, CRCM

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/22/17 12:54 PM

Getting a colonoscopy after turning 50 is extremely important in early prevention. Take it from me; I'm still mourning the loss of my mom, who passed away two weeks ago from colon cancer. She was only 72 and didn't have any symptoms until June when the tumors caused her appendix to burst. The doctor told us that had she had a colonoscopy at 50, there might had been a good chance of preventing this outcome. So, please make sure to schedule this screening early.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/22/17 01:58 PM

Cyndi12, I'm very sorry for your loss.

I agree completely agree, Get Screened! It is no big deal. My husband had his first screening in his forties and thank God he did, because he had a few polyps that the Dr. said could very well have become a problem.

Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/22/17 03:11 PM

As a colon cancer survivor, I echo everyone's comments: get screened. I do it every year, and the peace of mind is well worth the little bit of discomfort.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/22/17 03:20 PM

I was dreading it, and the day before was no fun, but i'm really glad i did it now.......the peace of mind is worth it. The actual colonoscopy was really a non-event ...i have zero memory of any of it.
Posted By: Sunshine Lady

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 11/22/17 03:57 PM

I had one at 50 and it was also a non-event, except for having to drink the stuff that cleans you out. My husband took me and I will tell you that was some of the best sleep I had when I had the procedure. The anesthesia medicine left me a little loopy, my husband said I talked about everything starting with my childhood and would not shut up. I am now 55 and think it is time for another one.
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 01:28 PM

Ironically I am having a colonoscopy today. I read this while prepping for the screening. I drank 64 ounces of powder mixed with Gatorade. No big deal. Thanks for laughs and advice.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 02:52 PM

64 oz of powder is a LOT of powder wink

Enjoy your post-procedure restfulness!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 05:11 PM

Let me try again: 64 oz of gatorade with powder mixed in. I'm going to the hospital in 1 hour. Wish me luck!
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 05:23 PM

Best of luck!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 06:11 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 07:47 PM

The first time Hubs and I had to have the screening, the hospital clerk that called to schedule suggested we do them at the same time.

I'll just leave that there to sink in and bring lots of giggles to all y'all.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 08:15 PM

I just wanna know: Who drove whom home? shocked!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 08:15 PM

You didn't follow that suggestion, did you? eek

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/18/17 10:31 PM

I'm back home. It was literally no big deal. In and out in 1 ½ hours. I had a nice nap and woke up like I'd slept all night. They did find and remove a polyp. They'll test it and let me know Jan 8th. I'm not worried. That's why you have these done - early detection, if it is anything.

Thanks for all of your well wishes!

P.S. If you're 50+ PLEASE go get this done. I had more anxiety than necessary. It really was a non-event. The hardest part was not eating for 24 hours, but fortunately, I have enough reserves (gut) to sustain me. smile
Posted By: Monster

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 12:50 PM

Will be thinking of you David, hope it turns out to be nothing!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 02:11 PM

The hardest part was not eating for 24 hours

Absolutely this ^^^
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 05:15 PM

When I get to 50 I will have to remember this. Boy am I feeling young now. smile

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 05:30 PM

My regular doc and I agreed it was time for me to get one (51), but holding off until the new year to get it done. Figured I'd enjoy the holidays.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 05:46 PM

There were other more immediate issues to consider besides who would drive home.
I laughed at the clerk and told her absolutely not.
We took turns.
He chivalrously went first. smile

Another funny true story.
Last year after a bleeding ulcer, I had to get an endoscopy.
The new clinic does both endoscopies and colonoscopies.
What you're having determines whether you are wheeled into the procedure room feet or head first.
The rolled me in feet first then checked the chart and said 'whoops!'...thankfully. crazy
Posted By: ItNeverEnds CRCM

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 06:34 PM

As someone who was diagnosed with what turned out to be stage IIIC rectal cancer 5 years ago at age 40, I implore you to get screened as early as your doctor will allow. Recent studies have shown that rates for both colon and rectal cancer are increasing in people under 50. If you have family history of colon or rectal cancer, you need to be screened at least 10 years prior to the diagnosis of your family member. 50 is really not early enough. Most times there are no symptoms for colon/rectal cancer until it is very advanced and I can tell you from first hand experience, I will take 1,000 colonoscopies over 1 year of treatment including many tests, CT scans, MRIs, chemo, radiation, surgery to remove half my rectum and part of my colon, and more chemo.

I live every day with the after effects of radiation, the damage it's done is harsh. Chemo has left me with neuropothy (nerve damage) in my feet, and the effects of losing a foot of your colon is interesting to say the least.

I had no family history, very healthy person my whole life. I noticed bleeding, my doctor thought it was hemorrhoids, when it didn't clear up, a referral to a colo-rectal surgeon ending in a colonoscopy that discovered a tumor.

Get screened. Get the colonoscopy. It's honestly no big deal. I've done all sorts of preps, there are ones that suck and ones that are fairly easy - my personal preference is Suprep.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 09:00 PM

Great advice ItNeverEnds. I'm sorry for your personal situation, but thank you for passing this to others.

I'll love this:
Get screened. Get the colonoscopy. It's honestly no big deal.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 09:24 PM

I had Suprep.....good to know it's the best....i wasn't that fond of it, but good to know it can be worse.

My only compliant about the colonoscopy (well, other than not eating and sitting on the toilet for hours): I asked my doctor..."Ok, so what is this going to cost me?"

His answer: "Nothing....it is covered by your insurance, since it's preventative."

A few weeks later and i have about $800 of bills in my mailbox.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By raitchjay
I had Suprep.....good to know it's the best....i wasn't that fond of it, but good to know it can be worse.

My only compliant about the colonoscopy (well, other than not eating and sitting on the toilet for hours): I asked my doctor..."Ok, so what is this going to cost me?"

His answer: "Nothing....it is covered by your insurance, since it's preventative."

A few weeks later and i have about $800 of bills in my mailbox.

send it back to the doctor, saying "preventative, remember?"

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/19/17 09:37 PM

Most of the $800 came from the hospital. I've already been on the line with the billing department of the doctor who basically said "doctors don't know anything about billing".

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/20/17 07:07 PM

Yes....it's surely not free and next year, according to our regular insurance here [I'm on a high deductible shocked ] WAY more than it has been...like WAY more~!
Posted By: basilring

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/21/17 02:08 PM

My husbands favorite Gatorade flavor WAS orange.... after his colonoscopy earlier this year, he shudders whenever he sees it.

The funny part, was our 3 year old grandson was at the house during the first couple hours of prep. So, every 10 minutes the timer would go off for him to drink the next batch and I would give it to him (in a closed bottle of course and under supervision) and say "go take this to grandpa". He thought he was just super important and a big helper. And he was :-)

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/21/17 06:29 PM

I found out yesterday that I definitely need to have this done again next year. I will have not hesitations and there will be no putting it off. I am thankful that my doctor uses the prep that he does, I can't imagine having to drink huge volumes of nasty tasting prep. I can handle the 10oz bottle of citrus flavored prep and just drink lots of water to help flush out my system.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/22/17 04:00 PM

I had my third colonoscopy last December, and it was by far the most pleasant of the three. The prep wasn't bad at all, and everyone at the medical center was super nice and helpful. Since the center is a block from my apartment, I walked over. One of the nurses walked me back home to make sure I arrived without incident. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

I'm almost disappointed I don't have to go back for 7 years. grin

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/26/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By RR Joker
Yes....it's surely not free and next year, according to our regular insurance here [I'm on a high deductible shocked ] WAY more than it has been...like WAY more~!

My gripe isn't the cost....it's not getting a straight answer....when i ask how much it is going to cost and the answer is "nothing", then i expect nothing to be the cost.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/26/17 08:13 PM

Yes, that is what happened to me a few years ago. but I just happened to notice how it's changed and now it's going to be way more than it was in the past.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/04/18 09:58 PM

Welp, scheduled mine today for 1/22. Same day as my anniversary. Nothing says Happy Anniversary than getting a colonoscopy.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/05/18 12:57 AM

At least you'll be hungry for a great meal, afterwards.

Nothing says "I Love You" more than a waffle for 2 at Cracker Barrel.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/05/18 01:04 PM

You're a week after me, MB. I've scheduled mine for MLK day so I won't have to take any PTO.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/05/18 02:14 PM

the best stop after the procedure is Five Guys burgers

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/05/18 07:51 PM

I had a few wisdom teeth out several years ago and had anesthesia for that, and on the way home we stopped for a burger as I was famished but as soon as it arrived at my seat, I got nauseous big time. Hopefully that historical event won't occur again after this anesthesia.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/05/18 09:08 PM

nope, your colon will be begging for food and nothing is better than a greasy double bacon cheeseburger, plus a side Cajun fries

you will be surprised just how few bites it takes to put one of those down

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/11/18 03:19 PM

I wanted to follow up to my last post in which I stated:
They did find and remove a polyp. They'll test it and let me know Jan 8th. I'm not worried. That's why you have these done - early detection, if it is anything.

This week I found out the polyp was benign. I will have another colonoscopy in 5 years (instead of 10) because they found the one polyp. Again, that's why you have these done - early detection, and removal if they find anything.

And again I'll say:
If you're 50+ PLEASE go get this done. I had more anxiety than necessary. It really was a non-event.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/11/18 06:29 PM

Glad you receive a good report.
Posted By: Island Dreaming

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/11/18 06:40 PM

Dave - glad it was a good report!
Posted By: basilring

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/11/18 08:22 PM

Great news on your results!
Posted By: Soonergal

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/12/18 09:47 PM

My mother in law passed from colon cancer 16 years ago. It was horrible as she only lived 2 months past the diagnosis as it was already stage 4 when they found it. She was 62. The doctors have recommended my husband be tested every 3 years due to family history and they started testing him at 35. He also has had a few polyps removed over this time, so have his brothers when they have been tested. So far the pathology has all been good.

He would agree with all of you that the night before the test is the worst part.

The test for him is scheduled in February of the year it is due and I call it the best Valentine present he could ever give me!

RaitchJay, your doctor is correct.
It should be coded as a preventative screening. Ask for a hard copy of the HCFA 1500 or CMS 1500 form the facility used to bill the claim. You can also ask the billing department what the procedure and diagnosis codes are. The CPT (Current Physician Terminology) code should be 45378 or G0121 (unless you are high risk). the ICD-10 code should be Z12.11 unless there is a family or personal history of polyps.

If your doctor added a modifier to the codes, I believe it's PT but can't remember for sure. This SHOULD only apply to Medicare patients. Can you tell I previously worked in healthcare in a former life?

Let me know if you need help getting the bill worked out.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/12/18 10:04 PM

Thanks Soonergal.....i actually did finally get a good answer from my insurance provider.....they paid it. (Not the $650 hospital bill, but the $130 that they initially billed me for on the actual colonoscopy.)

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/12/18 10:14 PM

Soonergal....you sound like a good person to ask this to.......my doc made it sound like my future colonoscopies, since they found the one polyp this time, would not be defined as 'preventative'....bottom line: it sounded like in the future, i'd be paying much more out of pocket. Is that about right?

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/13/18 02:57 PM

Depends on the doctor and how he codes the exam. If the polyp was clear, that may just put you at increased risk. There's still a preventive code for that but not many docs use it correctly. I need to pull out my coding books to make sure.

This question leads me to believe that the hospital billing was for lab and pathology services. If that is true, then the hospital is correct. Those services apply to the deductible first and are not part of preventative care.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/16/18 01:56 PM

Had mine yesterday. Sunday was not too pleasant, but the results were good! I'm good for five more years!!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/16/18 03:15 PM

Great info Soonergal, thanks for that, and congrats Skittles, good news.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/16/18 04:06 PM

Raitchjay:
I spoke with some of my coding friends over the weekend. You are correct in your assertion that the testing will not be considered preventive going forward with most insurance companies****, even if the doctor tries to bill it that way. Unfortunately, you can expect more out of pocket costs.

****Large self insured companies might be different. That's why my husband's was still covered even after a polyp removal.

Skittles & David: Congrats on your good news!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/16/18 04:33 PM

Thanks Soonergal....appreciate the good information.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/17/18 04:23 PM

I think even if you are considered 'preventative', it's still changed considerably from the way it was being handled. Even first-timers.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/17/18 04:45 PM

I thought it was a good thing when my GI doctor joined the same physicians group as my primary doc. Until I went for my annual physical after work last night and she started to chastise me because my weight was higher than it was the last time I was weighed, which happened to be the morning of my colonoscopy - oops!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/17/18 06:28 PM

which happened to be the morning of my colonoscopy - oops!

Thanks hmdagal - had to laugh - Starvation does that to you everytime.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/23/18 04:15 PM

OK, got mine done yesterday, and all was clear, thank you Lord.

Prep was OK; about as bad as I thought it would be, and the procedure went well with just a little stomach discomfort for about 1/2 hour afterwards (gas pains? not sure), but after a while it was much better and feel great today.

I'm 51 so I'm good for another 10 years, and I recommend everyone my age and older to not hesitate.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/23/18 06:49 PM

Great news, MB!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/23/18 07:32 PM

Thanks Skittles! It really did make me feel better after.

One thing though, when I went into the OR, the doc and I were chatting and I told him I was getting it done right when I was supposed to because I wanted to be around for my 7 year old. He responded saying, well, at least he'll have the insurance money if you don't make it. Honestly, I was a little apoplectic. I should have said, yes, he'll have my insurance money as well as the money he gets from suing you. I was a little bent after his remark, but maybe I was a little sensitive at that moment, lol.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/23/18 08:23 PM

You probably felt a tad vulnerable at that moment.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/23/18 09:06 PM

Well, considering what was about to happen, I did, lol, although I did think that comment was a bit out of place.
Timing might have been better had he stated that after smile

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 01/24/18 02:48 PM

sheesh, no sense of humor, you must have a bug up your butt

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/20/18 01:49 PM

I had my annual follow up yesterday, a little more than a year after my initial procedure and thankfully everything was all clear. I don't have to be screened again for 3 years. My doctor was very candid that if I had not had the initial screening done and those polyps removed they would have turned cancerous. I am very thankful that I had this done last year and that I have received an all clear follow up.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/20/18 02:16 PM

Congratulations, enjoy your Christmas with one less worrying!

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/20/18 02:45 PM

TJ....that's great news. As someone who lost my brother to cancer way too young, i enjoy hearing about someone who was able to shoot the finger to cancer.

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 12/28/18 09:02 PM

smile

Re: Colonoscopy Screening - 03/18/19 07:25 PM

So encouraged from all the great reports!! You guys are preventive rock stars!!