Transplant

Posted By: JWills, CRCM

Transplant - 04/29/19 02:32 PM

My son who is 32 was diagnosed with ESRD in September of 2018. We have been working with a fantastic hospital (U of M) on a kidney transplant. My husband will undergo 8 hours of testing on May 1st to determine if he can be a kidney donor. Please send prayers and positive thoughts our way.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 02:58 PM

Prayers said J.
Posted By: Sunshine Lady

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 03:04 PM

Positive thought and prayers coming to you from someone who knows more than I want to about the disease.
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 04:18 PM

Sending prayers your way.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 04:34 PM

Prayers going up. Please keep us posted.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 04:36 PM

You got them my friend!
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 04:57 PM

Many prayers coming his way!
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 05:12 PM

Not sure what ESRD stands for, but i had a brother who died WAY too young from renal carcinoma.....so you most definitely have my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 05:52 PM

You know you got mine smile

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 06:23 PM

End Stage Renal Disease--kidney failure.

He is a diabetic, and currently has lost most of his eyesight. But he is being treated for that as well.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 06:31 PM

You have my prayers, my friend.
Posted By: Cyndi12, CRCM

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 06:41 PM

Praying for peace and comfort during this emotional time and that your husband is a perfect match
Posted By: EuphegeniaDoubtfire

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 07:51 PM

praying for you all <3
Posted By: pabankerone

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 08:05 PM

I was a kidney donor 7 years ago to a long time friend. The procedure was done laproscopically and I was back to work in 3 weeks. Do not be afraid to spread your message of need for kidney donor. Even if you have someone who is not a good match they can create a chain/exchange with other donors/recipients. Best wishes.

PM me if you would like more information.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Transplant - 04/29/19 09:19 PM

Best wishes to you and your family. I might be in line to get a kidney someday and can only imagine how a parent must feel about their child needing a kidney.
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: Transplant - 05/01/19 11:17 AM

Praying...
Posted By: burkemi

Re: Transplant - 05/01/19 08:09 PM

Prayers and best of wishes!
Posted By: ItNeverEnds CRCM

Re: Transplant - 05/01/19 10:38 PM

Positive thoughts to your son, your husband, you & entire family.

Re: Transplant - 05/02/19 01:56 PM

We will find out early next week after the transplant team meets to review all of my husbands test results. Thanks everyone for your support!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Transplant - 05/02/19 02:22 PM

Best of luck. Tough deal.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Transplant - 05/06/19 12:25 PM

Late to the party but praying for all of you.

Re: Transplant - 05/06/19 08:48 PM

Sending prayers for good test results. Hang in there!

Re: Transplant - 05/10/19 02:38 PM

Well, hubby is not a candidate. Pretty bummed about it. I am not sure who took it worse, my husband or my son who needs the kidney.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Transplant - 05/10/19 04:11 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that! frown Hoping your family finds a donor very soon!
Posted By: JobSecurity

Re: Transplant - 05/14/19 01:45 PM

Sad to hear that he was not a match. Sending positive thoughts your way. A co-worker's husband needed a heart transplant. He finally received one and it was successful. Being a donor is so important, it can touch so many lives.

Re: Transplant - 05/15/19 12:36 PM

frown Prayers that you do find a suitable donor very soon!

Re: Transplant - 05/28/19 05:38 PM

Still looking, my other son has some 'high' numbers in one of his tests.
Posted By: EuphegeniaDoubtfire

Re: Transplant - 05/28/19 07:59 PM

praying a match will come soon!! so sorry you're all going through this.
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: Transplant - 05/29/19 02:25 PM

How long is the process of qualifying a living donor Joann? What do the potential donors have to go through? I keep up with Rusty's story online, but am curious as to why the vetting process takes so much time. If these questions are too personal, I understand. I'm just trying to educate myself and perhaps others on the process.

Re: Transplant - 05/29/19 03:26 PM

They only evaluate one potential donor at a time. It starts with a blood test to determine if they have a compatible blood type (needs to be A or O, and negative and positive does not come into play). Once that matches, they schedule an appointment at U of M for an 8 hour day of testing and meetings with various departments. They only do this on Tuesday and Wednesdays and the wait time is about 5 weeks out. They run multiple blood tests, chest xrays, urine tests, you meet with a nephrologist, then a transplant surgeon, social worker, various nurses, and then at the end of the day they schedule you for a CT scan. We were told when we went to the Kellogg Eye Center earlier in the month that they weed out more potential donors than they accept. They have to make sure the donor's health is good and that the transplant won't have adverse affect on their overall health. It is quite a lengthy process, and by doing one at a time, it makes it longer. Nothing is too personal at this point. Thanks for asking.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Transplant - 05/30/19 03:19 PM

Sorry I missed this thread JWills. My son lost both kidneys in high school. It was a travesty for him. No family matches as a donor. Since he was healthy otherwise, he was pushed up the list for a cadaver kidney, it seemed anyway. He was matched with a kidney after about a year and a half. His new kidney has been working now for 16 years. He has many other physical issues, but getting that kidney and getting off daily dialysis was a Godsend.

God bless your search for a match.

Re: Transplant - 06/05/19 06:23 PM

Just found out that my daughter in law is scheduled for her 8 hour testing on July 23. Seven weeks out. That is disheartening.

Re: Transplant - 06/06/19 12:17 PM

Hang in there, J.

Re: Transplant - 06/06/19 04:51 PM

cry
Posted By: basilring

Re: Transplant - 07/12/19 01:32 PM

Saying prayers for you, your son and family. So sorry the process is so long!

Re: Transplant - 07/24/19 06:30 PM

My daughter in law went for her 8 hour evaluation yesterday. Transplant team meets Monday, so we should hear something by next Thursday. He also had eye surgery on the 10th, the surgeon said it is healing well, and he goes back on August 8th. Keep them in your prayers.

Re: Transplant - 07/24/19 06:56 PM

Absolutely~

Re: Transplant - 07/30/19 07:20 PM

My daughter in law got a call today, that they are going to set up an appointment either next week or the following week for the second round of testing. My son called to tell me, and he was crying, but said they were tears of joy!!

Keep the prayers coming!

Re: Transplant - 07/30/19 08:15 PM

Wonderful news- and prayers coming that the news is positive.

Re: Transplant - 07/30/19 09:32 PM

So happy and hope things continue to progress and work out.

Re: Transplant - 08/19/19 12:24 PM

Well, they are in Ann Arbor at the transplant center this morning. They went last night and stayed in a hotel as they had appointments at the crack of dawn. Send good thoughts and prayers! Thank you everyone!
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Transplant - 08/19/19 01:22 PM

Prayers headed from Florida to Michigan!
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Transplant - 08/19/19 02:05 PM

Prayers from here as well.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Transplant - 08/19/19 02:37 PM

Continuing prayers from MN.

Re: Transplant - 08/20/19 12:51 PM

They will find out next week how the testing went. My daughter in law said they drew 21 vials of blood, and put her through a 4 hour nuclear urine/kidney test. She had to drink what seemed to be gallons of water, and go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, followed by the nuclear scan. Keep the prayers coming!

Re: Transplant - 08/22/19 02:48 PM

Prayers heading your way!

Re: Transplant - 08/26/19 03:21 PM

My daughter in law is a match. She needs to do one more test, and then we will know for sure if she is the one.
Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming!

Thank you so much!
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Transplant - 08/26/19 03:33 PM

Great news!

Re: Transplant - 08/26/19 03:44 PM

That's fantastic!!!!
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Transplant - 08/26/19 05:02 PM

Yeehaw! Love to hear the good news!

Re: Transplant - 10/23/19 06:26 PM

Although daughter in law was a match, her tests indicate a possibility for kidney stones in the future (she is 27) so they closed her case. frown

Re: Transplant - 10/23/19 06:33 PM

I'm so sorry, JWills.

Prayers for your entire family!

Re: Transplant - 10/23/19 07:06 PM

Another door will open!

Re: Transplant - 11/12/19 08:55 PM

Well he received a call yesterday, and he is on the list! Now to find the kidney. Keep the thoughts and prayers coming!

Re: Transplant - 11/12/19 08:55 PM

You've got them! Please keep us posted.

Re: Transplant - 11/22/19 12:55 PM

Yay, that is half the battle, jw.

Re: Transplant - 11/22/19 09:24 PM

They have completed 3 weeks of training so that they can do the dialysis in-home. Their proposed start date for that is Dec 11th. Keep the prayers coming.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Transplant - 11/26/19 03:12 PM

My son did peritoneal dialysis for 18 months or so, until he received a cadaver kidney. It was difficult sleeping with that machine going all night. Always an issue of drinking too much water or not enough. That was 17 years ago. Hopefully, there have been improvements in the procedure.

Re: Transplant - 11/27/19 01:42 PM

My son is not doing the peritoneal dialysis. His dialysis time will be 2-2/12 hours per day, they can make their schedule. I have to admit that since they have started with their training, and him receiving dialysis 4-5 times a week, he is feeling much better. They received 8 boxes of supplies yesterday, with more to come. I am amazed at the medical advancements.

Re: Transplant - 05/15/20 07:30 PM

Update on my son--he has been placed on the PAK transplant list (Pancreas and Kidney) at U of M. He is still doing ok, and staying home. Thank goodness that they were trained on the in-home dialysis, for that I am so grateful. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Re: Transplant - 05/15/20 07:57 PM

Will do! Please keep us posted.

Re: Transplant - 05/15/20 10:57 PM

Praying for you all.
Posted By: one deer

Re: Transplant - 05/18/20 04:10 PM

Prayers for healing, staying healthy and that a donor blessing is successful.

Re: Transplant - 07/02/20 01:26 PM

An update--he received a kidney on June 15th, the pancreas did not co-operate, so had to be removed the next morning. Thanks everyone for the prayers.
Posted By: one deer

Re: Transplant - 07/02/20 02:48 PM

PTL for the kidney transplant success, so sorry for the second surgery caused by pancreas. Prayers for healing and restored health and a long happy healthy life for your son.

Re: Transplant - 07/07/20 07:00 PM

Prayers for healing. Hoping he is doing good.

Re: Transplant - 07/13/20 08:20 PM

So glad he got the kidney transplant!