How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel?

Posted By: zaibatsu

How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 02:25 PM

Do you get depressed, nostalgic, elated, excited, etc...at Christmas Season? Why do you feel that way?

Please be honest, no cookie cutter answers that you are always elated because it is the celebration of the birth of Christ unless that is truly how you feel. It is certainly possible to celebrate the birth of Christ while at the same time feeling melancholy because you are lonely or have bad memories of this time of year.
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 02:41 PM

I get excited! To me, despite the little problems between family members where they argue or do stupid things, having the whole family together is a great big blessing. Plus, it's fun to spend time listening to the kids decide what to get my parents! Little does my mother know, but she's getting a Chiapet Herb Garden for Christmas... My kids wanted me to get her a Shrek Chiapet, but instead I got the Shrek and Donkey chiapets for them and the herb garden for me and mom!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 02:52 PM

i love this time of year.
i love the weather, i love the cheesy christmas music that you hear when you walk through the store.
i haven't had a great chance to be out and about in the stores because of work but hopefully this weekend i will get out.
i love the smell of christmas trees and being able to use the excuse of christmas cookies when i put on some extra weight.
i love chuck berry's "run run rudolph". i love the christmas movies; "scrooged", "elf", "christmas vacation". i love the christmas specials with rudolph, frosty, hermie and "the bumble" because they bounce!
i love going over my grandmom's for christmas dinner and then having paper fights with the wrapping paper. this year, i will be wearing protective eye gear.
i feel somewhat sad this year because my brother, who is in kansas for the army, will not be able to come home because the goofball never got his leave papers signed. i hope to get a chance to see him before he leaves for the "wonderful" (sarcasm) deserts of iraq to protect our freedoms.
i love waking up in the morning on christmas day next to my beautiful girlfriend/future wife/best friend and having her ask me to stop snoring so loud (i don't snore by the way and i stand by this).
i love not worrying about myself and just sitting back enjoying the joys of others.
and this year, i will love the scrapple that i just bought last nite that i will eat on christmas morning because i haven't had scrapple in so long and it's so good.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 03:06 PM

Normally, this is my favorite time of year. This year I feel like I am going through the motions only. This will be the first Christmas without my mom. She passed away last February. I do feel a bit lost. The holiday baking and cooking really brings it home because I can't just call up Mom and ask her a question about how much of this do you use and how long do you cook that. I miss her and think of her everyday but this holiday season seems to be particularly hard.
Posted By: redsfan

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 03:08 PM

My son still believes in Santa. Watching him open gifts and seeing his reaction gives me a feeling of indescribable joy. He is nine, and I know those days are quickly fading. I want to hold on to those days forever, but I know I cannot. I wish we all could still see this time through a child's eyes - I think we would be much more in touch with the "reason for the season" if we did.

I am happy to be able to share the company of my family and friends. Their presence makes the holidays special. We get to share stories old and new. It is good to be a part of their lives, and have them a part of mine.

But I cannot help feeling a littel twinge when I think about the friends and family that are not with us anymore, or are unable to be with us. And wondering, will we all be here next year?

For a number of reasons I won't get into here, I am spending more time this holiday season in prayer than I have for a long time. That time has given me a renewed sense of hope and purpose. I also have been experiencing a greater sense of peace and serenity. I feel God at work in my life more strongly now than I have for a long time. I'm not sure what the plan is, but but I'm sure there is one, and I am listening to try to find out my role.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 03:21 PM

Unfortunately, I don't like Christmas and can't wait until Dec. 26th when it's all over. I'm sick of the songs, I stress over what to get people, I don't like wrapping, I don't like putting up the tree, because it means I have to take it down and put everything away. The grocery store is crazy, so I can't get in and out fast for my regular shopping. We have no family gathering because my parents are gone and with working I'm too busy and tired to do anything at my house. I do ask an elderly neighbor over for dinner and feel good about that. Last year we left town around the 19th so we didn't put up a tree, went to visit MIL in Florida and it was the best Christmas because it didn't feel like the holidays. She doesn't have a tree, had very little presents to buy, no snow, no cold weather, it was wonderful. But the teenager hated it, so we are home with a tree, cold weather and snow flurries. YUCK. Don't know when I lost the joy. I do try to appear to like it for the sake of my kid. At least it's going to be over soon and that means I'm that much closer to longer days and warmer weather.
Posted By: beaten blind

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 03:29 PM

Very stressed - while I love the season and I am absolutely thrilled by the opportunity to give presents to those people I love, I also get stressed out every year. Everyone is my family thinks I have the perfect life (they are insane, I know!). Therefore, I am "supposed" to give the perfect gifts each year, wrapped up in beautiful, perfect packages, serve the perfect meal in my perfectly decorated home. I put a lot of pressure on myself trying to live up to these expectations. I end up having a good time, I just get VERY stressed in the days up to the celebration. I wish I could just enjoy the season like "normal" people. I'll just double up on the Paxil to get me through!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 03:34 PM

Z - generally I absolutely love this time of year. This year, however, it's different. Not only do I live 600 miles from my husband, my mother is having surgery on the 29th and my aunt is in the hospital. I don't even have out one Christmas decoration, although my cards have been sent and all of my gifts purchased and wrapped. I'm not going to do the baking I usually do, and work is extremely hectic right now and everyone seems to want to argue with compliance (I know - go figure). I'm stressed to the absolute maximum.

Yes, I know, take a deep breath and remember what this season is all about. I do realize it will get better, but I'm just not in the holiday spirit.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 03:34 PM

I love Christmas. I love the family time, everyone getting in the kitchen in each other's way and cooking "THEIR" dish, the teasing, the fussing, the laughter,etc. Christmas used to be spent at my Grandparent's home but they are gone now and I miss them. The last time I saw my grandfather alive was on Christmas Eve. I try to cherish the time with the family who can be there.

This year, I was responsible for putting together our church's advent devotions. All of the readings concerned the 2nd coming of Christ. This was a powerful experience as I thought of the 1st coming and how He was rejected because people just couldn't believe Christ was the Messiah. Hanging on to the feeling of anticipation for Christ's return is going to be a challenge but one that will be worked on every day this coming year.
Posted By: Princess Leia

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 04:09 PM

Quote:

Very stressed - while I love the season and I am absolutely thrilled by the opportunity to give presents to those people I love, I also get stressed out every year.

Stressed & depressed. I started to type out the reasons, but it's probably TMI
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 04:27 PM

Overall I really like Christmas. We have had to make adjustments in our holiday functions since our younger son is now married but it's the one holiday that we, "the family of the husband" get basically what we want. Sharing our son with another family is harder than we ever thought it would be, we generally get the "leftover time" but on Christmas we get Christmas breakfast, which I absolutely love. Our older son is married but his wife is from Indonesia and has no family here so we get to share our holiday with her. It's fun to watch her excitement on Christmas.
Posted By: Bones

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 04:28 PM

I have always loved this time of year, but now it is even more special watching my 2 year old learn about Christmas and enjoy the decorations, etc. I enjoy the family time and giving gifts to family and friends.

I will be praying for those of you that are going through rough times right now. Maybe the spirit of the season will help you get through it all.
Posted By: Angel Eyes

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 04:56 PM

I try to do my best to enjoy the Christmas Season, my grandmother passed away on Christmas Eve when I was a teenage child so Christmas has always had some sadness to it for me. I also lost my father 5 years ago (he wasw only 43). It wasn't on Christmas but as I see my children opening gifts I always wish he could be here to see them.

I have fun buying the gifts and watching my children who all still believe in Santa. And I try to avoid all the negative Christmas comments, like I hate Christmas, I don't know what to give...etc.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:28 PM

Giddy, happy, blessed, generous, and sad. I love the music, the decorating, the gift giving (hate gift receiving!), the baking and eating, the volunteering, the get togethers/parties, the whole package. I feel blessed to have my Lord, my health, friends and family. I get sad when I think about my parents who died around the holidays so many years ago. I miss them most at this time of year.

But, I get that out of my system like this: I wait til MOML is out of the house. Then I play all the Christmas music that were Ma and Dad's favorites, or the ones that talk about going home for Christmas or together if the fates allow. I have a sobbing good cry, to release it all. Then, I am good to go for the rest of the holidays! Works for me.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:29 PM

This time of year makes me feel thankful. I just got back from attending my 2 year old's story hour Christmas party. It was less than a block away, so I could just walk there and for that I am thankful. I am also thankful to be working at a place that allows me the flexibility to attend things like this. I am thankful that I got to see him get his gift from Santa - even though it looked somewhat like a mugging since he did not want to get too close or be near Santa too long. I am thankful that on Christmas day I will be able to take my family on the five minute trip to my parents house where my sisters and nephews and nieces will be. I am thankful for the look of pride on my mother's face when everyone is enjoying the meal she prepared and on my father's face as he enjoys his grandchildren. I am thankful that I have good memories of Christmases with my brother before he passed away. I know this all may sound corny to some, but that is how I feel this time of year.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:33 PM

Quote:

Giddy, happy, blessed, generous, and sad. I love the music, the decorating, the gift giving (hate gift receiving!), the baking and eating, the volunteering, the get togethers/parties, the whole package. I feel blessed to have my Lord, my health, friends and family. I get sad when I think about my parents who died around the holidays so many years ago. I miss them most at this time of year.

But, I get that out of my system like this: I wait til MOML is out of the house. Then I play all the Christmas music that were Ma and Dad's favorites, or the ones that talk about going home for Christmas or together if the fates allow. I have a sobbing good cry, to release it all. Then, I am good to go for the rest of the holidays! Works for me.

I remind myself that my mother would not want us to skip Christmas because she is not with us anymore. She would want her family to get together and celebrate. I still miss her, but we have to go on just as she did when her mother died right before Christmas and my 5th birthday. I still had a cake etc. and she even put blue icing on it at my request! It is how things go in life, even though it is hard.

(And I cry when I am home alone.)
Posted By: juliad

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:37 PM

I love the season and ordinarily feel so much joy during Christmas. This year I have been a little overwhelmed - shopping, baking, cleaning... but I still anticipate the joy of having my family together. Just 2 more days until mom arrives!!

Last year and this year Christmas has been especially nostalgic, since my father passed away. This was a very special time for him; the times I felt closest to him were at Christmas and it is when I miss him most of all. These are sweet memories, though and I'm not sad for my dad, who is now home with God, but sad for the family as we all miss him.

Also my heart is heavy for other friends who are having difficulties right now. Hopefully, next year their joy will be greater than the anxiety they are experiencing. I pray for their family.
Posted By: QCL

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:41 PM

This time of year used to stress me out. That is until last year.

The bear, my one and only child that I had tried to have for 3 years, had just had MAJOR surgery (attaching her intestines to her liver) and was released on Christmas Eve last year. For 2 weeks we watched her courage and strength as she recovered in a NICU bed. It brought EVERYTHING into perspective. How could I be stressed about petty things when I had just experienced nothing short of a miracle?

And this year we honestly thought we'd be back in the hospital again (we were hoping that she would have had her liver transplant by now). So we got out the Christmas decorations on November 11 - I had planned to celebrate early. We spent what we could afford on presents, and not a penny more. Then another miracle, our friends and families threw a HUGE benefit in the bear's honor. 640+ people from our communities came out to raise enough money to cover her medical costs. People I had never met came out to help the little 14 month old get her Christmas wish.

So this year we are home for Christmas. The little one is holding her own, and my faith in humanity has been renewed because of her. It's the most wonderful time of the year. My cynicism is gone and my heart is full. I guess when you’re down as low as you can get, and you need the help of God and friends to bring you back, this can happen. I feel like Jimmy Stewart in “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:52 PM

It does my heart good and restores my faith in humanity when I see what good people can do, this time of year, and when a crisis arises.

Our bank has 5 offices. We usually adopt a family at each office, to help them have a Christmas they might otherwise not be able to afford. Their situations are diverse; sick kids, fire in home, laid off work etc. This year, we have seven families. We just could not turn anyone down. You should see our lunchroom; it is piled high with gifts and groceries.

Makes me so proud to work with these generous people.
Posted By: Brandy Osborne

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 05:58 PM

i do love christmas, i love buying presents that people really want, especally the stuff they don't expect. but i miss my dad, he's been gone 8 years and it doesn't make it any eaiser... my siblings and i have grown up and in some ways moved on so it's always good to see each other but we all seem so distant now. and this year my mom remarried to a man none of us like who we feel is a gold digger, digging at what my dad left my mother and it makes me ill, (plus he makes my skin crawl). it makes me not want to be near my mom and especally him for the holidays. she doesn't see or want to see how we feel (and would kill us if she knew) so it breaks my heart to feel such anger this time of year. anger at my dad for not being here, anger at her cause i feel she's made a HUGE mistake and anger at me for not wanting to be around her... but beyond that i love christmas... in odd way thank you for letting me vent that out.
Posted By: renniks

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 07:29 PM

Well, I just finished a good cry. One of the loan assistants in my building is a single mother who works two jobs and goes to school at night. She has one small child. Yesterday, someone broke into their apartment and stole the money she had saved for Christmas presents for her daughter! We passed the hat today and some of the staff went out and bought a huge bag of presents for the little girl and we gave the mother some cash. We just gave her the presents and let me tell you...there was a whole lot of cryin' going on!!! It was nice to see how quickly everyone reacted to help make this Christmas nice for her child. This, to me, is really what Christmas is about.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 08:35 PM

I just spent the last hour wrapping gifts for our bank's adopted families. It breaks my heart when a child's Christmas wish list lists stuff like a toothbrush and socks.

Bless you and your co-workers for coming to that single mom's aid.
Posted By: Erl of Baltimore

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 08:36 PM

Normally this time of year makes me very nostalgic as I remember my favorite times from Christmas' past. But since the passing of my father(passed 12/19), uncle, and aunt(passed 12/21) in 1998 and my divorce in 2002 this time of year generally makes me more emotional than I usually am. If it wasn't for the unconditional love of three of the most beautiful little girls you ever saw I would probably explode. They are my life and I give thanks to God for them every day. I know God has a plan for me which will happen in His time, not mine. I just want to let all of you know I hope you and your entire families have a joyous holiday season and a prosperous New Year. God Bless all of you.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 09:03 PM

Quote:

Nanwa, have you considered waiting for MOML to be home, and then doing the same things? I bet he'd love to share it with you? Who knows, he might even cry with you.
Posted By: blvsinangels

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 09:03 PM

Thankful, excited, sad, nostalgic, stressed. Thankful for my family, my husband and daughter. Thankful for my health, for my daughters recovery from her broken leg. Thankful that I have people that love me and that God has given me so many wonderful people to love back. Excited about seeing my daughters face on Christmas morning, seeing my Dad, and I too just love the 'cheesy' Christmas music everywhere you go, and yes I sing along, outloud and off key, much to my daughers dismay!! Sad because it just breaks my heart that my parents are divorced and there is so much tension when we all get together, although everyone tries to act civil, sad to listen stories of families going without, without food, without shelter, without the support of friends. Nostalgic, remembering my Christmas's with my family, 3 brothers running around in their underoo's, stepping on star war toy pieces, and the whole wonderful mess of wrapping paper everywhere. Stressed, Dad coming and staying with me, Mom waking up alone on Christmas, planning a Christmas eve party with the family, running around like a chicken with my head cut off to get everything done in time......But above everything else, Grateful and humble, I am so very blessed in my life. Am I rich, no, but the bills get paid, I have my family to laugh and cry with. And I Thank God, Thank God, Thank God, everyday not just at Christmas for my many blessings.
Here's wishing you His peace now and throughout the coming years. Merry Christmas.
Posted By: HMS Pippii

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 09:22 PM

I wish it didn't come at the end of the year, but I love it. I wish my family didn't inflict a lot of stress on me but I love that we can still get 4 generations together from across the country. I'm on the music staff at church - last year I realized that I was at more of the Christmas programs and Masses than either of the priests - and then I realized that THAT's what makes Christmas so special - I get totally wiped out playing for all the Christmas stuff at church and then my whole family is waiting for me and it's really quite wonderful.

I just wish it didn't come at year-end when everything else is going berserk...

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 09:25 PM

No pbrinker. MOML cannot stand to see me cry. When I cry, he wants to fix whatever it is so I will stop crying. And he can't bring Ma and Dad back....

Also, he never met my Ma and Dad, and both his parents are still alive, so I don't think he would cry. In fact, we are spending Christmas up north with them before we head south to Florida.
Posted By: beaten blind

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 09:36 PM

One more thing...two months ago, my doctor was discussing the possiblity of ovarian cancer with me. After numerous tests, I found out a couple of weeks ago it was just a cyst they couldn't identify earlier. While my family thinks I have the perfect life, I don't - this instance was a stark reminder of that! It also reminded me of the true "reason for the season." This year will be a bit more special to me as I am not planning my course of treatment (or my funeral!) "Thank you God for my family, my health and for all you have given me and forgive me for the days I forget how lucky I am...Amen."
Posted By: thomasj

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/17/04 10:50 PM

After my brother passed away a few months after Christmas many years ago, I do not take anything for granted. I treat every Christmas as if it may be the last I get to spend with my family. I am very thankful that my wife and I got to take care of him on Christmas eve that year. The three of us talked all evening long and I will never forget that night. It was the last time that we got to sit around a kitchen table, drink tea, and tell stories - something we had done countless times over the years. That year I had also made a corner cupboard for my mother for Christmas and on Christmas eve after we left, he asked my mother if he could look at the cabinet I had made. Of course he was blind, so he had to examine it with only his hands, but he told my mother that I had done a good job. I think I value that comment, even though it came indirectly, more than any other compliment I have ever received.
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/18/04 12:54 AM

In general I love the holidays. I love eggnog! I enjoy the parties (although after you’ve attended 12 to 15 in the first couple weeks the joy does fizzle a but). But then I thank God for eggnog. My relationship with my sweetie began on December 13th five years ago, so each year I’m thankful I’ve found the love of my life. I miss my family, and always think of my brother who has been missing for several years. I also feel a bit of sadness when we are at our closest friends home watching the little ones open gifts. This is the only time of year that I find true jealousy…of those blessed with children. But that’s why God made eggnog I guess

Every twinkling light makes me smile, and every card and hug makes my smile bigger. And every live tree and wreath makes me smile…before a go AHHHHHCHOOOOO! (I generally spend the holidays with a box of Kleenex because of my allergy to evergreen trees). But that’s why God made eggnog.
Posted By: TB

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/18/04 12:05 PM

I love Christmas. I just wish everyone could remember the real reason for Christmas.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/18/04 03:43 PM

I love Christmas and I love giving gifts to my family and others. That makes me happy. At work, rather than exchange gifts we don't need, we started adopting a family in need. This year, the various departments of the bank adopted 28 local families! That is fun and truly worthwhile. Much better than grab bag gifts, etc. for me.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/20/04 09:09 PM

Stressed and depressed.

Too much to do, not enough time or resources to do it.

Family scattered all over the country.

Some well off and some not with me in the middle and unable to help the have nots as much as I would like.. very depressing.

Thoughts of good times past, friends and relatives lost, things or people that are missing in my life... very depressing.

Frankly, I can't wait till it's over.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/20/04 09:11 PM

Christmas is special to me now, because I love seeing the joy in my son's eyes. I am blessed.
Posted By: someone else

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/20/04 09:16 PM

I never really get into Holidays or Birthdays, or anything like that. I just don't really care. I try to get excited about it for my 6 year old. Every year ends up the same, I am running around, stressed out, trying to buy presents for people who don't really need any, trying to get to family who don't really care if we are there (but will give the biggest guilt trip if I don't go) and cleaning up all the mess that the Holiday inevitably brings about. All for a Holiday I couldn't care less about. That's why every Christmas eve I go to Rite-Aid and buy a ton of their clearance toys and then take them down to the battered womens shelter. It is the one bright spot of the season for me. Everyone else I know is immeasurably blessed with clothes on their backs, food in their stomachs and a roof over their heads. At least this really means something to me.

But in the end, I don't really care for the Holiday. Although this year is looking up! My honey is back from the Middle East safely!

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/20/04 10:34 PM

Kinda of depressed. Christmas use to be so much fun, but now so many of my family are gone and I really miss them. Another reason is I don't have the funds that I once had. I still miss my ex and I guess still love him. I love the reason for the season, but just don't like the rest of the stuff that goes with it.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/20/04 10:50 PM

((((((HUGS)))))) From me to all of you that are sad or depressed. ((((((HUGS))))))

I am so sorry that you feel this way.
Posted By: Carly Girl

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/20/04 11:08 PM

I love Christmas and what it represents. I am so thankful for the birth of Jesus Christ and that He came to be the savior of the world. On the other hand, as a single mother of three, its lonely. How I wish that I could have someone to share the holiday season with beside my children. I see happy couples holding hands and cuddling and I become sad. But it all passes and life begins again on Dec. 26th.
Posted By: doodle

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 12:09 AM

Usually Christmas is stressful, crazy, and I'm usually waiting for it to end. This year though, I'm unattached and I am having the time of my life! I did not take a date to any holiday parties and did not have to worry about someone else's entertainment or if I had introduced them to everyone. I didn't have to worry about them embarrassing me by saying/doing the wrong thing. (Obviously there is a reason I'm single again.) I am dating and meeting people. I don't have to buy presents for a set of parents/siblings that I don't know well, and I don't have to split my time between families. I know it sounds selfish and ok, it is. But I wouldn't change a thing!
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 02:25 PM

Quote:

((((((HUGS)))))) From me to all of you that are sad or depressed. ((((((HUGS))))))

I am so sorry that you feel this way.

And if anyone has a right to be stressed and depressed (and happy and excited all at the same time) it's you LMP!

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 03:25 PM

Michael, it's a season of miracles.

Little story: Our transplant surgeon takes the 2 weeks before Christmas off each and every year. But never Christmas. Unfortunately, it's his busiest time of year. But he refers to it as his season of miracles.

Why should I feel stressed? This year, we did what we could for our family and friends, bought ONLY what we could afford, and made Christmas more about each other and less about THINGS. I'm facing losing both my life and my daughters life (to put it into perspective) not much else matters.

Now, don't get me wrong, the 100 Christmas cards still went out - I just bought them the first week in November and used a mail merge to make labels. And the peanut clusters still got made; I just used chocolate chips and almond bark instead of making it from scratch. And I still miss my family members that have gone before me and are not with me. But right now, at this place that I am at in my life, I NEED to concentrate on the positive things. We are not in the hospital, the bear is “relatively” healthy, I have a happy marriage, I have faith in God, and I have fantastic family and friends (OK, BOLers give yourselves a pat on the back now )!!!
Posted By: Angel Eyes

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 04:57 PM

Mom of Natalie Bear - you are an inspiration to us all! Sometimes we just have to put life into perspective and be thankful for all that we have. Thank you for your lovely words
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 06:55 PM

I needed to read your post today, thank you so much. My son, much older than your dear daughter (he is 31!!) is struggling to stay alive, to not commit suicide and stay sober in the face of a terrible mental illness. BUT - - TODAY HE IS ALIVE and will be at our house for Christmas with his wife. Your post reminded me of this fact and put the day back into perspective. We only have today, no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Give your little one a hug and kiss from me.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 07:03 PM

Quote:

No pbrinker. MOML cannot stand to see me cry. When I cry, he wants to fix whatever it is so I will stop crying. And he can't bring Ma and Dad back....

Also, he never met my Ma and Dad, and both his parents are still alive, so I don't think he would cry. In fact, we are spending Christmas up north with them before we head south to Florida.

I can understand that... I feel the same way when Leslie is crying... but my first reaction when she does is to hold her. It may not stop the crying, but at least it makes us both feel better.

Your man is lucky both his parents are still living, and that he has you in his life. Have a good Christmas, and safe travels to Florida. Look in on us once in a while from down there.
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/21/04 08:03 PM

Quote:

I needed to read your post today, thank you so much. My son, much older than your dear daughter (he is 31!!) is struggling to stay alive, to not commit suicide and stay sober in the face of a terrible mental illness. BUT - - TODAY HE IS ALIVE and will be at our house for Christmas with his wife. Your post reminded me of this fact and put the day back into perspective. We only have today, no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Give your little one a hug and kiss from me.

Our prayers are with your son!
Posted By: deppfan

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/22/04 07:18 PM

And you.

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/24/04 05:51 PM

I am hung over today. I'm planning on partying agin tonight and all this weekend. I guess you could say I'm truly in the American Christmas Spirit. ^_^ Bless ya all and don't do drugs!
Posted By: Wyogirl

Re: How Does the Christmas Season Make You Feel? - 12/24/04 08:39 PM

I guess I can let my guard down, its just only my BOL friends and this is the couch. Z, Christmas time involves all emotions with me. I lost my mother during the holiday season, to cancer, in 1983. Two years ago, my best friend lost her mother to cancer on the same day! My family lives in Michigan, so I miss them terribly this time of year.

Then there's the kid in me who loves Christmas. I get to see the delight on my childs face, even though she's now 16. I volunteer and I give presents to charities around town. Of course it's just dang fun to shop.

I also get stressed. Did I buy the right gift? Did I spend too much money? Will the gift arrive in time?

Sometimes I even get mad. Mad at the commercialism of such a sacred holiday. Then I remember, oh yeah, I'm a banker, LOL!!! Making money is good.

So many emotions wrapped in one body definitely tends to lead to depression. Then I remind myself of how fortunate I am for all that I have. I can't stay depressed for too long.

Whew, that was a little long winded. Good question Z!

Wyogirl