click here to fight breast cancer!

Posted By: Dip

click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 12:39 AM

Hey...a friend just sent me this link. It's to help women receive mammograms and prevent breast cancer. Click on the link and then click the pink button to help fund a mammogram (it takes several people doing this just for one mammo!). That's it! That's all you have to do--you don't have to pay or fill anything out. Just 2 clicks on your mouse can help an underpriveleged woman. And, you may click once a day--don't forget!

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 02:42 AM

Considering the average cost of a mammogram is about $150 - every click is worth about 1/3 of a cent. Mailing them a check for $1.50 will cover you for a full year plus some - since you can only click once a day ......or better yet - mail them a check for $150 and then you can feel like you have actually done something.
Posted By: Search_Me

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 04:41 AM

Quote:

Considering the average cost of a mammogram is about $150 - every click is worth about 1/3 of a cent. Mailing them a check for $1.50 will cover you for a full year plus some - since you can only click once a day ......or better yet - mail them a check for $150 and then you can feel like you have actually done something.

For some reason.. I think I've read these words in the cooler.. LOL.. my eyes are not failin' me are they?
Posted By: huntik

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 02:44 PM

It's in my favorites and I click it first thing every morning!

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 04:13 PM

i don't see why certain people are knocking my efforts here...the point is to spread the word so tons of people will click, which will make a difference. that's all i am tryign to do. if you want to mail in your 150$, then do so. i am going to stick to trying to spread this link...

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 04:14 PM

by the way, thanks hutnik!
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 04:29 PM

I'm not knocking it - but I hate to think that people are now sitting all smug at their desks thinking they did something really great because they click on this cite on a daily basis when what is needed is real action to help fight this killer....

1/3 of a cent at a time - sure - but better yet, give up six pack or two or your next trip to the movies and donate some real bucks.

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 10:27 PM

Quote:

I'm not knocking it - but I hate to think that people are now sitting all smug at their desks thinking they did something really great because they click on this cite on a daily basis when what is needed is real action to help fight this killer....

1/3 of a cent at a time - sure - but better yet, give up six pack or two or your next trip to the movies and donate some real bucks.

And yet it's their efforts of sittin all "smug at their desk" clickin the pink button that will give a 1/3 of a cent... which does add up. More than some people would ever do. I for one think it is a good thing... I click it.. and feel no shame or less of a person because I'm not sending in my $150 check like you suggest...and yes I spend my money on things that will help benefit the breast cancer foundation... HONESTLY.. what does it matter that she posted here.. for those individuals who want to click it? Btw...no one is forcin anyone to click the button..much less come into this thread and be bluntly rude...she's just postin' information for some who may not know this exist.
Posted By: Viking Princess

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 10:54 PM

Why would it make us sit at our desk all smug? I'm amazed at that thought process. Perhaps some people CAN NOT send a check for that amount but they are capable of clicking a link - let those that want to help, help - in whatever way they want to.

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 10:57 PM

Quote:

Why would it make us sit at our desk all smug? I'm amazed at that thought process. Perhaps some people CAN NOT send a check for that amount but they are capable of clicking a link - let those that want to help, help - in whatever way they want to.

Some people just like to argue I think...

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/18/05 11:21 PM

Apparently, however they should waste their breath on something more meaningful, oh wait - I guess it wouldn't be wasting their breath than huh? ha
Posted By: Mystified

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/19/05 03:22 AM

As a 33 year old breast cancer survivor; and a daughter, niece, granddaughter of breast cancer survivors, I would like to thank those of you who click that button every day. I would also like to thank those who make those donations. Is there any reason why we can't do both? And while I'm on this soap box; I'm grateful to those who walk marathons, wear jeans on Denim Fridays, display pink ribbons...etc, etc...

Stepping down now....

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/19/05 05:37 PM

Thank you Mystified...hopefully the negative posters will take notice of this and realize any good deed done is a good deed.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/19/05 08:23 PM

Had my mammogram last week, I'm clean! Woo hoo!
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/20/05 06:28 PM

My annual diagnostic mammogram is next month and it ALWAYS makes me nervous until it's over. As a survivor I check myself on a regular basis so I'm pretty sure everything is ok but until "they" say it is, I get nervous. And god forbid they tell me they need to do an ultrasound for ANY reason Brings back memories of when my lump was found and I find it hard not to cry. Wish me luck for another year cancer free

And I echo the thanks you all read earlier, I always appreciate any and all efforts to fund breast cancer research and treatment. I was also lucky to have good insurance and a good job that allowed me the time I needed to get treatment. Not all women are that lucky. Keep clicking, buying pink anything and participating any way you can, it all helps
Posted By: Mystified

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/21/05 03:39 AM

Best Wishes Corkygirl!
Posted By: RobinB

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/25/05 03:12 PM

I think it's a great cause and click it every day. But I think they make more money to fund the m'grams if you order from their sponsors--so I order a gift there from time to time.

Also--Ford Motors sponsors b.c. research also--I recently ordered a scarf (new style every year) that gives $30. to the Komen Foundation. You can go to the Ford site and search "scarf" for more info, or go to the Susan B Komen website.
Posted By: #12

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/25/05 03:14 PM

They featured those scarves on ER last week. The website they advertised was www.fordcares.com.
Posted By: flaire

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/27/05 03:04 AM

As a one-year survivor, I say do whatever you can whenever you can. I hate the color pink, but I have a closet full of it because of the donations they generate.
Posted By: La. Lady

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/27/05 01:44 PM

Had my mammogram last week also......got another growth....I'm a little nervous....

So.............I click away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/28/05 02:13 AM

Hope it isn't anything serious, G4I. I'll think good thoughts for you.

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/28/05 03:32 PM

Quote:

Hope it isn't anything serious, G4I. I'll think good thoughts for you.

Thanks....
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/28/05 05:23 PM

Go 4 It - what's your next step with the growth?

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/28/05 07:40 PM

Quote:

Go 4 It - what's your next step with the growth?

Funny you should ask.....I am having a very hard time finding out what the next step is. My GYN got the results of the mammogram and phoned me on Monday afternoon and suggested a surgeon...when I asked about my oncologist and his opinion, the GYN didn't know I was seeing an oncologist. Since the GYN found the lump in the beginning...I guess I just assumed these people corresponded....evidently not. The GYN faxed the results to the oncologist and told me to call the next day...which I did...but could not get through....You know, put on hold, disconnected, put on hold again, no one ever came back on the line .....I waited on Wednesday for a call, but none....I thought that perhaps no news was good news...but my husband insisted that I call again....When I did the oncologist's nurse said they never got the fax but she was questioning me and continuing to thumb through papers when she finally found it .....they had received it on Monday...She said that the GYN should have called also...I was told that they would...but...............now you see the score..."Passing the buck"......In any case, she told me that she would get with whoever she needed to this morning and promised that she would call me back...after 11:00 am. It is 2:20pm and I haven't received a call yet....I will give them until 3:00 and then I'm calling again.....They will think I am such a pest, but this is quite upsetting.........

I am trying not to jump to conclusions...but containing myself is becoming more difficult as the hours pass.....

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/29/05 01:25 AM

Don't worry about being a pest, for Pete's sake! This is your body and you have a right to timely service. I swear, these are the same doctors who scream to high heaven when the bank makes them wait for something...

No, doctors don't communicate with each other. My oncologist and radiation oncologist were in the same office and never had any idea what the other was doing.

Waiting is always the worst part. I waited for results. Waited to be scheduled for surgery. Waited to start chemo. Waited at the doctor's office. Waited to start radiation. Waited to get my cathedar out. Waited for more results....

I would call them every half hour until they told me something useful.
Posted By: wavewatcher

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/29/05 07:44 AM

Go 4 It - take the initiative. Even though you think you are being a pest - if you don't take action no one will. You have to think of your health - and life.

Don't forget to take notes of what goes on during the doctor's visits. I found it invaluable since it helped me take an analytical look at what was happening instead of being too emotional. If you can't do this for yourself (and it's perfectly OK if you cannot) ask a friend or family member to go with you to take the notes.

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 10/31/05 04:46 PM

I spoke much too soon. My oncologist's office did leave a message on my home phone. My appointment for the CAT scan remains on Wednesday and I've also been scheduled for an ultrasound of both breasts.

You are right, flaire, the worst is WAITING. It seems that this illness as with many others I'm sure is a "wait and see" game.

Wavewatcher, the note idea is good. I had not thought of it, and come to think of it, I'm beginning to get confused as to what the last scan was---CAT or PET....or was PET first....was it in June or was that the one in August...... Is the Chemo drying up the brain or is it just age?

So, I think that I will take up the idea of notes. Thanks

Thanks to all of you.

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 11/01/05 02:06 AM

If you don't already have it, get Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book. B&N and Borders keep it in stock. It is a great tool for all kinds of things, and will help you translate your lab results into plain English. It's not just about cancer, but it covers fibroids, infections, etc. too.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes (PM me if you need anything).
Posted By: RobinB

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 11/01/05 04:35 PM

Flaire is right--you have to call constantly for any kind of test results. You have to insist that the docs talk to each other on your behalf. And then you have to go through the same thing when the insurance bills come in.

(((HUGS)))

Re: click here to fight breast cancer! - 11/03/05 04:42 PM

You are right about the insurance. I've had several claims that I've had to question because they were wanting payment that I didn't feel I owed....I'm in major medical now. There was also a bill that just didn't add up....I called and they had to do research but finally corrected it.