Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner

Posted By: Matt Ritter

Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/01/17 05:22 PM

We have joint owners on a DDA who are divorcing. One of the joint owners withdrew funds from the account and bought a cashier's check payable to herself only. The other joint owner is asking for a copy of the cashier's check. Can we provide him with a copy or since the cashier's check is payable only to her, are we not allowed to provide a copy?
Posted By: Christy Goza

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/01/17 06:17 PM

In my opinion, he is entitled to the copy of the withdrawal which would be shown on his monthly statement. Any documents after that would need to be submitted after a legal subpoena is issued.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/01/17 06:21 PM

I agree.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/02/17 12:30 PM

If he knows there is an official check because one of your employees told him, you are already in "overshare" territory. A copy of the check is out of the question.
Posted By: OldeTymeBanker

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/02/17 11:53 PM

I shudder to tell you that once a client, a joint owner on Mom's account, came into the branch with Mom's statement and demanded to know where the money pertaining to a large withdrawal had gone. Mom had signed the withdrawal. The answer was it went into a new account that daughter did not know about, until my helpful banker provided her with a copy of the offsetting credit. The new account had a different joint owner, the granddaughter, and all of that hit the fan. Sounds like some sort of similar situation here. If the joint owner had a copy of the cashier's check the most likely next request would be knowing where that check was negotiated. The fact is that this issue is between the accountholders.

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/04/17 07:01 AM

Good anecdote.

You have no choice but to provide information to a duly appointed personal representative, but sharing with another family member can lead to a gaping self inflicted wound.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/06/17 05:16 PM

Summarizing --- Yes, to the copy of the withdrawal order. Make sure that any annotation on it about the cashier's check is redacted, and that that information is not shared in another way (orally, for example). No to the copy of the cashier's check.
Posted By: Amandak

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/06/17 05:20 PM

If the customer has online banking for this account can your customer see all of the debits and credits that made up the transaction? In my bank the customer would and it would show the copy of the cashiers check that was issued. Just a thought...

Re: Providing copy of cashier's check to joint owner - 03/06/17 05:45 PM

You play it as it lays. My online bank statement would not show the offsetting credit. The fact that yours would is not a problem.

Your bank has no control over who has access to the customer's online banking information until you are aware of the death. After that, you become the gatekeeper.