FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice

Posted By: banker-12

FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 06/29/10 04:34 AM

After we receive the direct dispute notice, do we have 30 days to investigate just like we do for disputes received through the CRA?

Do we have to provide notice to the consumer of the outcome of the investigation? Is it 5 business days like it is for a frivolous or irrelevant dispute?

thanks,
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 06/29/10 01:35 PM

You have 30 days to investigate, unless the customer provides new info during the investigation, in which case you get another 15 days. You have to also respond to the customer during that time period.
Posted By: banker-12

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 06/29/10 02:15 PM

Do we need to respond to the customer in writing?
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 06/29/10 03:27 PM

I could be missing it, but as far as I can see, it just says notify the customer. Doesn't say how. The five day frivolous notice is supposed to be mailed, but I can't find anything on the method of delivering the notice if the customer was right.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 07/01/10 02:16 PM

Does anyone have a Direct Dispute Form they have developed that they would be willing to share?
Posted By: 2old2care

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 07/01/10 03:24 PM

soccer - pm me and I will send what I have.
Posted By: deh

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/01/10 05:54 PM

Where do I find the requirements for this new Final ruling? I have been to the FTC site and couldn't find anything really helpful. I searched and found the link below.

31484 Federal Register / Vol. 74, No. 125 / Wednesday, July 1, 2009 / Rules and Regulations

So in a nut shell what do we have to do as a financial organization to give notice that we can now be contacted for direct disputes?
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/01/10 06:02 PM

To my knowledge you don't have to actually tell anyone "Hey we will investigate your disputes now." The requirement is that you have to investigate if they give you written notice (instead of what we could do before by telling them to dispute it through the CRAs).

The caveat would be if you want to have all direct disputes directed to a central address. You have to notify your customers of that address via the CRA and another direct notification of your choosing. Most people I have talked to are not stipulating a central address for receiving direct disputes, but simply writing in their procedures that disputes can be delivered to any of the bank's branches and the branch will forward to the person/dept in charge of investigating.
Posted By: Runnin' on Empty

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 07/01/10 10:51 PM

If you don't mind, plesae share that Direct Dispute Notice with me too.
Posted By: linda fox

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 07/02/10 12:46 PM

I would appreciate receiving a copy of your dispute notice. thanks you.

Linda.Fox@bankatfirst.com
Posted By: Chris B.

Re: FACT ACT - Direct Dispute Notice - 07/02/10 03:09 PM

If you wouldn't mind, I would also like to have a copy of your form. Thanks.
Posted By: dg

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/15/10 05:52 PM

deh: Did you ever find a resource of information on the new ruling? I have been to the FTC the FDIC and so on too and cannot find any guidance.
Posted By: Deena

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/16/10 09:08 PM

Here's a link to the reg. Check out Subpart E.
Posted By: Bagweaver

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/20/10 05:56 PM

Have I missed what the retention period for disputes is?
Posted By: BSAguy

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/21/10 03:59 PM

I couldn't find any retention period for disputes either. We settled on 5 years.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: FACT ACT - Consumer Report Investigation - 07/22/10 12:45 PM

Five years is probably a good choice:

§ 618. Jurisdiction of courts; limitation of actions [15 U.S.C. § 1681p]
An action to enforce any liability created under this title may be brought in any appropriate United States district court, without regard to the amount in controversy, or in any other court of competent jurisdiction, not later than the earlier of (1) 2 years after the date of discovery by the plaintiff of the violation that is the basis for such liability; or (2) 5 years after the date on which the violation that is the basis for such liability occurs.