COPY OF CREDIT REPORT

Posted By: Regsandstats05

COPY OF CREDIT REPORT - 01/18/06 06:53 PM

With respect to the FCRA, is a consumer entitled to receive a copy of his/her credit report? The reason I am asking is because my brother who happened to be hunting for an apartment this past weekend applied at an apartment complex. The residence manager had him to complete an application and requested a $30 fee, which included obtaining the credit report in order to approve him. His credit was excellent and he was approved. However, when he asked whether he could receive a copy of his credit report the manager refused to provide him with a copy. Is this practice allowable? It was my understanding that since the credit report was paid for then he's entitled to a copy. I would apprciate any comments and feedback on this issue.
Posted By: juliad

Re: COPY OF CREDIT REPORT - 01/18/06 07:21 PM

The residence manager is not obligated (and is most likley not allowed by his contract with the credit bureau) to give your brother a copy of his credit report. However, your brother may obtain a free copy of his credit report from each of the three major national bureaus from www.annualcreditreport.com As the name suggests, he can get one free copy from each bureau annually.
Posted By: Gotwood

Re: COPY OF CREDIT REPORT - 01/18/06 08:41 PM

Also, www.annualcreditreport.com is the only official site where you can do this for free. Be wary of those who claim free credit report. Typically, you have to sign up for some other service...$$$
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: COPY OF CREDIT REPORT - 02/09/06 05:10 PM

If he were denied, he would be entitled to a copy as a result of that. It wouldn't necessarily come from the apt manager though.

We've had many discussions that you can search on here, about the pros and cons of discussing this, providing a copy or just referring them back to the provider. In the case of a denial, you can't be prohibited from disclosing this info to the consumer. If there is no denial, the contract with the vendor would prevail.
Posted By: Suwannee

Re: COPY OF CREDIT REPORT - 02/16/06 12:13 AM

Wow! Andy, you have changed your picture. I didn't recognize your face at first.