CTR Exemptions

Posted By: Anonymous

CTR Exemptions - 05/18/12 04:45 PM

We have never exempted customers. I am trying to read through materials explaining the phases and requirements. Does anyone know where I could find clear simple explanations of how to determine and file exemptions?
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/18/12 05:06 PM

The FFIEC Manual is a good resource.

http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/manual_online.htm
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/18/12 05:49 PM

FIN 2009-G003

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/18/12 06:13 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: P*Q

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/23/12 03:09 PM

I'd encourage you to follow through with exemptions! They're easy to file, little maintenence other than annual review for Phase II and it saves a whole lot of staff time preparing needless CTR's. smile

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/24/12 01:36 PM

I am reviewing my Phase II exmptions for the first time this month. Is it necessary to file a new DOEP form electronically? I filed via paper when I first exempted them last year.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/24/12 01:37 PM

No, it's not necessary.
Posted By: Sunshine_101

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/24/12 08:19 PM

Here is the FinCEN Guidance regarding CTR Exemptions.

Sorry, I didn't see that Ken Pegasus already posted this. wink

Re: CTR Exemptions - 05/25/12 08:35 PM

Oh and based on personal experience with the OCC and their interpretations of even the G003 doc that Ken mentions, you will need a minimum of 2 months customer history that can be risk reviewed and possibly shortened that time. But you must still have five (5) CTRs filed. If anyone disagrees on the minimum 5, please chime in. We tried and lost that argument even with a business that simply shuffled ownership percentages (same people), but got a new EIN number and new acct numbers. Same people. No example given in the G003 doc covers our case.