Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI

Posted By: Anonymous

Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 06:25 PM

An officer of the bank was arrested on his second DUI, this time he also has to go to trial for "assaulting" an officer. Everyone but the bank pres/board knows about it. Is it any employee's place to notify them? Is it any risk to the bank?

Or none of our business?
Posted By: osucpa

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 06:33 PM

If you have an ethics hotline use it. Was the individual in a bank car or personal? Reputational risk is always something to consider.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 06:35 PM

How do you know the president and board don't know about it?

If 'everyone' else knows, it's likely a VP or someone high up the food chain will make sure the information is known to the proper parties.

myob would be my advice to employees.

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 06:33 PM

personal vehicle, we're too small to have a hotline.

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 06:34 PM

You're right, Truffle, I can't be sure they don't know.
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

myob would be my advice to employees.

This.

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 09:09 PM

Does the bank's code of conduct address this?

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/24/15 09:33 PM

Does your local paper by any chance publish the arrest log? Maybe you could just happen to leave a copy somewhere. JK

I understand about the MYOB, but perhaps it depends a little on what your job function is. If you are in charge of the employee then I would for sure be making discreet inquiries of HR. If you are a direct report to a higher up you probably already have a feeling for what they are going to think if they find out you knew and didn't tell them.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/25/15 02:26 PM

Sounds like this person could benefit from your EAP program for alcohol issues. Just sayin'.

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/25/15 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the input. Yes, we have a conduct code but I don't know about an alcohol program (we are really small).

All of the charges are viewable online, but I doubt the higher-ups look at this routinely. And yes, I think higher-ups may be concerned that no one told them.... but it's still a tough decision.

(this new image verification is terrible....)

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/26/15 06:12 PM

Anon2 sez: Is the offender a registered mortgage loan originator? Because arrest records are relevant to the bank to consider whether to hire (or keep) an originator, though I'm not sure DUI rises to that level. But again, that's only your business if you are in HR or compliance and the SAFE Act falls under your department.

On a personal level, I wish they'd put him in a drunk tank for 30 days. He could kill somebody with his reckless disregard for life and the law.
Posted By: MagicCity

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/26/15 06:31 PM

I think if your institution is small, someone will be telling the president or a board member.
I would wait a couple of weeks and see if the employee is still there or if his status has changed in any way.
If not, then I may consider a quiet word to someone in HR or higher.
As of officer of the bank, his record is unacceptable.
Posted By: Beagles22

Re: Officer of Bank's 2nd DUI - 02/26/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Anon2 sez: Is the offender a registered mortgage loan originator? Because arrest records are relevant to the bank to consider whether to hire (or keep) an originator, though I'm not sure DUI rises to that level. But again, that's only your business if you are in HR or compliance and the SAFE Act falls under your department.

On a personal level, I wish they'd put him in a drunk tank for 30 days. He could kill somebody with his reckless disregard for life and the law.

SAFE act post only - I am also not sure DUI would qualify - but assaulting an officer may? I am in charge of SAFE Act in my bank, and we look at all criminal charges filed at the time of registration when we do the background check, as well as if we have 'knowledge' of any criminal charges while they are registered. We don't take any action on charges unless they are found guilty - which thank goodness I have not had to deal with - but even if not guilty we ask for a written explanation as it speaks to character of the MLO. Now, your reporting of it would certainly depend on your position in the company and theirs. For instance I would be expected to inform our Chief Risk Officer, because she is my boss, and I am responsible for controlling risk in our company. However, if another lender or a teller were to have the information I would concur with MYOB as it may not be taken the same way depending on your (and their) place in the company. Just my 2 cents....