CRCM Exam

Posted By: Anonymous

CRCM Exam - 04/05/16 08:20 PM

I'm trying to get some opinions on how long people study for the CRCM Exam. Obviously, this is very dependent on an individual's experience, but a general idea would be helpful. I'm planning on attending the CRCM Bootcamp on May 1st 2016 and then will be taking the exam on May 6th. In other words, I have about 4 weeks remaining to study (including the CRCM Bootcamp). My experience is 8 years as a Deposit Compliance Officer and BSA Officer for our bank; I lack experience in lending compliance.

Thanks.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/05/16 08:30 PM

Well since you are not a true fully well rounded compliance professional covering all business lines as a CRCM designation might suggest one should be, I have no idea how long one should study considering you have no experience in about 50% of what the examination covers. The designation should show you have a full well rounded experience throughout compliance. Not that you are simply really good at cramming for a test.

I am beginning to wonder what good the certification is anymore. The pool of test takers appears to be highly diluted.
Posted By: ItNeverEnds CRCM

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/05/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By Anonymous
Well since you are not a true fully well rounded compliance professional covering all business lines as a CRCM designation might suggest one should be, I have no idea how long one should study considering you have no experience in about 50% of what the examination covers. The designation should show you have a full well rounded experience throughout compliance. Not that you are simply really good at cramming for a test.

I am beginning to wonder what good the certification is anymore. The pool of test takers appears to be highly diluted.

Wow. This was really inappropriate. To the original anon, it's tough to say because only you know how easy/difficult it is to learn and retain information. I would say to refresh your knowledge by going over the areas you know and put the majority of your study time on the Loan areas.

It's a tough exam, good luck!
Posted By: justsayjulie

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 02:39 PM

I agree, ItNeverEnds, on the inappropriate response from Anonymous.

To the original Anon, ask to borrow the Reference Guide to Regulatory Compliance (hardcopy study guide that comes with the online training course), if anyone in your organization has a copy. The lending section should help you in prepping for the bootcamp.
Posted By: osucpa

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 03:35 PM

I am amazed someone would make that comment. Maybe they have not had luck at passing the exam and have hard feelings.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 04:28 PM

Nope, passed the first time. And I don't think it is inappropriate at all. A certification is meant to show a depth of universal knowledge of a subject or field. There isn't a Loan CRCM or a Deposit CRCM. I'm just stating that I feel it is disengenous to go for a certification in a field that you have little knowledge of 50% or better of.
Posted By: Compl101TX

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 04:28 PM

I didn't find that comment too inappropriate. The eligibility requirements clearly state that “A minimum of three (3) years of U.S. experience as a compliance professional with primary responsibility for the full range of compliance functions is required.”

If you don’t have any lending experience (3 years) how can you sit for the exam?
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 05:02 PM

I understand how Anon's comment may have seemed harsh, but s/he is also correct. So maybe it's just harsh truth. Compl101TX correctly points out "full range of compliance functions is required."

We also see a lot of "CRCM" in titles here on BOL posts that are very basic questions. Makes me wonder some times.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 05:10 PM

Interesting discussion. A lot of people in larger institutions are very specialized, so not many people in the largest organizations have the "full range of experience." Most of my experience has been in Corporate Compliance, Enterprise Compliance Risk Management, and Corporate Operational Risk, so I had oversight over the full range, but I didn't deep dive on a daily basis. Frankly, my roles have been more focused on aggregating and reporting risk than writing detailed compliance program procedures or developing a deep understanding of the covered regulations.

To the original poster, I only attended the National Compliance School for my first attempt and failed the exam by two points (needed a 71 and I got a 69). On my second attempt, I studied sporadically for a couple months and really crammed for about three weeks before the exam, then I passed by 9 points (needed a 69 to pass and got a 78). I'm also a lawyer and a member of the bar, so I've covered some topics in CLE and some of the concepts, like protected classes and disparate impact, are kind of addressed in a few different law school courses.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 07:22 PM

Interesting discussion. A lot of people in larger institutions are very specialized, so not many people in the largest organizations have the "full range of experience."

I knew one compliance officer at one of the mega banks that was eventually responsible "only" for on line applications - nothing else. Very limited, but he was probably a subject matter expert.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 07:51 PM

Wow. I'm the original poster of this thread that has sparked some controversy. I should have made myself more clear, I do have lending compliance experience but my focus is on BSA and Operational Compliance. Our institution is large enough we have a dedicated Lending Compliance Officer.

Thanks for the insights.
Posted By: trout22

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/06/16 08:38 PM

FWIW: My experience was that a good deal of real-life experience is much more important than hours spent studying, as the questions were more based upon the "best answer" or "most important" or "first step". Yes you have to have the book knowledge but to get the answer right you also need logic and to be able to apply it to the situation.

How long did I study? I had the Reference Guide to Regulatory Compliance so I maybe dedicated 5 hrs to research/study and I passed by a decent margin. Full disclosure, my peers said I'd have no trouble so I didn't worry too much about studying in advance and by the time I sat for the test, I was in a different role so it didn't really matter if I passed.

But my take-away from the experience was this: I'm not the most experienced compliance professional so for me to breeze through it, I was left with the feeling that having the designation maybe isn't as prestigious as it was cracked up to be.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 12:58 PM

A lot of us have different professional certifications, it doesn't mean we use every part of the certification on a regular basis.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 01:31 PM

Agreed, but you should have prior and working knowledge of the subject matter prior to obtaining or earning such a certification, this I will agree with Anon and others with.
Posted By: Ishmael

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 03:30 PM

My experience is similar to the original poster's, but my experience was in lending at community banks, with no practical deposit or BSA/AML experience. I had 5 years of experience (4 in community banks, 1 in a national bank) when I took the test, and I was always interested in deposits and BSA/AML, took all the trainings available through my banks, read articles, etc. I'm a lawyer, too, and real comfortable with sitting still and creating and studying outlines, doing flashcards, etc. from law school.

I went to a 1 week ABA-run school and studied 2-3 hours daily for a month before the test. I passed comfortably. Friends at work without the sort of experiences I got doing compliance in smaller banks--consulting the eCFR, reading Staff Interpretations, properly disclosing construction loans, scrubbing a LAR, etc.--also passed. In a way it was a letdown that this test I'd been really campaigning to take for 3 or 4 years could be passed easily by people with a totally different background/skills, but then again, there's many ways to skin a cat, and many different skills needed to manage a compliance program. I think it's nearsighted to think otherwise.

It sounds doable for you. Good luck!
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 05:11 PM

I know really, really smart compliance professionals who don't have CAMS, CRCM or any other letters after their name. Some of who post quite often on these forums.

Don't get caught up in the alphabet soup nonsense.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 05:54 PM

Well this was a very disheartening thread to read....I just passed the exam with a very respectable score and was very proud of the accomplishment...I studied extremely hard for several months....I have worked in compliance for several years and my job touches all the regulations....however, I by no means consider myself any kind of expert and do at times have to ask very basic questions on the BOL threads...for that reason I will not add the designation that I worked very hard for to my name on here...I was looking for a thread to share that I passed and celebrate the accomplishment with others....this thread totally deflated me.....
Posted By: Skittles

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 05:56 PM

Don't let this deflate you. What you accomplished is an amazing milestone and you should be proud. Congratulations!!
Posted By: Soccer

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 06:15 PM

What Skittles just said. Congrats! it is a huge accomplishment, I too just recently passed this test and I just had an examiner basically tell me so what. Well guess what? I did it for me and no one else.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 06:27 PM

Thanks, Skittles and Soccer........Soccer....I did it for me too....it was a goal set for myself when I first started out in compliance....and I am proud of myself for having done it....I learned an awful by studying all the material....did I need it all for the exam...no....but it made me even more well rounded....it's no big deal around here at the bank...but I'm still glad I did it.....just won't advertise it on here...

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 06:42 PM

Any professional certification is something to be proud of. Use that designation proudly you earned it, especially juggling work, family and studies.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/07/16 10:17 PM

Anon, congrats on passing, it is an accomplishment and share those initials with pride. You earned it!

As for some of the other comments, we all have different experiences and backgrounds in banking. Sometimes this helps more on the exam than you would think. Some people have a greater ability to remember everything they read while others have to study harder. And some people just test better or guess better than the next person.

It doesn't devalue the certification just because it might have been easier for you to get a better score than you anticipated. And don't let the fact that some did not work as hard for it as you did make you feel that it was not an accomplishment. Lots of people do not pass, they just don't talk about it.

Congrats to everyone that passed!!!
Posted By: Cyndi12, CRCM

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/08/16 12:56 PM

Thanks SMQ! Like Anon, it was a very disheartening thread to read, especially since I received my test results on Wednesday and I PASSED! I spent many months and long hours studying, researching, asking lots of questions and taking the 10-week online course in preparation for the exam. I'm extremely proud of this accomplishment and all the hard work it took to obtain this certificate. I’ve decided not to allow others who may devalue this certification to dampen this exciting moment of a goal that I set out to accomplish almost a year ago. Congratulations to all the others who recently took the test and passed.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/08/16 01:10 PM

I sometimes love anonymous posters. If they want to disparage the certificate fine, but have the guts to post under your real user name and we will then be able to determine the depth and knowledge of your skills to see if you just got lucky or actually have the "well rounded" skills as you claim.

For those of you who take the time and energy to study appropriately and use that opportunity to broaden your compliance skills, pass or fail, congratulations. It's not the test itself that is the most valuable lesson learned in the process.
Posted By: happyauditor

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/08/16 02:03 PM

Please also note that some banks may not offer all the product/service types with regulations specific to those products/services covered in the CRCM...does that mean you should not sit for the test and should not be awarded the CRCM designation? Example: Does every bank engage in consumer leasing (regulation M) which is covered in the exam? No. But that should not preclude someone from taking the exam and obtaining the certification. That's my two cents. Congrats to all those who passed.

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/08/16 02:07 PM

To be able to determine the depth of my knowledge and skill to see if I got lucky or have the well rounded skills is exactly why I want to remain anonymous.....I'm no expert and use the threads a lot to get help with questions and I would rather not be judged by the questions I ask...some of which I'm sure can seem quite basic to others...when I stated that earning the designation made me more well rounded....I meant that the prep process exposed me to a whole lot more information.....
Posted By: J_G

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/09/16 01:40 AM

What "good" is the certification anymore, you ask? The same as it and ANY other professional certification EVER has been.... it's proof of your dedication to your field, your career, your willingness and desire to advance your knowledge and be the best you possibly can be at what you're doing every single day. It's about learning. You know what happens when you study for the CRCM (and any other professional certification)? You LEARN. Compliance Officers aren't waking up one day and saying "hey, today is a good day to take that darn CRCM exam! I know EVERYTHING already, so I'm just gonna take it and pass tomorrow! No big deal, y'all!!!") I don't think that is happening at all. I know several experienced compliance officers who have taken the exam. Some have passed, some haven't. Some have retaken it and still didn't pass. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority actually have to put in a pretty significant effort in order to just feel confident in feeling ready to simply sit for the exam. Maybe that wasn't the case for you? Hey, that's GREAT! Congrats. It isn't the norm, though. As for the requirements to qualify to take the exam... they're the same as they always have been. Perhaps we should leave it up to the ABA to review the applications and supporting documentation themselves to decide who is worthy to sit for the exam. Just a thought. whistle Your comment was fairly offensive, ignorant, and put off a few holier than thou vibes. Don't be surprised that it ruffled some feathers, especially if you're going to throw on the Anonomous card (which I personally really don't care anything about, but I know some do). There are people who received the official results that they passed the March exam this week. There are also people who received the official results that they failed the March exam this week. To those of you who passed, don't let this individual make you feel like your incredible accomplishment isn't significant, because it is. To those who did not pass, don't let this individual make you feel even worse about not passing because of their negative views on the exam itself.

To the original poster.... I studied significantly for 3 months. I did not take the Bootcamp course (barely missed the deadline).... I only studied on my own for 3 months before I sat for the exam. I wish you the best of luck!!!
Posted By: Cyndi12, CRCM

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/09/16 02:12 AM

JLG - Well said and thank you!! I agree with everything you wrote. Congratulations to the both of us for passing the exam. We study hard to pass it and we did it.
Posted By: J_G

Re: CRCM Exam - 04/09/16 04:03 AM

I would also like to emphasize how "Compliance Management" heavy this particular exam is. Simply knowing all of the regulations isn't a guaranteed pass outcome. You need to know the regulations and be able to incorporate any new changes into your compliance program. Lots of risk management. A lot of technicalities incorporated into compliance management scenarios. A lot of experience is needed!

And yeah, I have basic questions sometimes, as so many others do. You do too!!!.......otherwise you wouldn't be hiding behind Anonymous. That's completely fine. We come here because we do sometimes have basic questions and it helps us to talk through things with others. It does not mean we are not worthy of this certification or that we don't know what we're doing or that the certification isn't what it "used" to be (it's the same as it always has been with some updated questions with the changes of regs) or that we aren't running our own programs correctly!

Let's just leave it up to the ABA to determine who has had enough Compliance training and experience to qualify for this. I think they might know what they're doing. 🙄

Re: CRCM Exam - 11/10/17 01:50 PM

Did you pass?

Re: CRCM Exam - 02/27/18 06:52 PM

You think this is real life. Calm your ego.
Posted By: Tanders922

Re: CRCM Exam - 02/27/18 07:13 PM

AND I failed for the 2nd time! The first time, I get it.. not know what to expect, combining the management with the regs aspects, questions were laid out different than what you practiced for 10 weeks. The second time, I don't get it. It seems like they look for the most obscure aspect and build questions around it. I will say I learned a lot studying the second time around. Its doubtful I will take it again; it's too expensive. The only complaint I have is you are never in a situation where you do not have resources at your finger tips; so not sure why they make you take it without any resources.

Re: CRCM Exam - 02/27/18 09:33 PM

If someone knows the basics, then they can narrow their research to specific points.

"The only complaint I have is you are never in a situation where you do not have resources at your finger tips; so not sure why they make you take it without any resources."

With a smart phone and Siri or BOL (as resources) it would raise the pass point to 90%+ which would mean the certificate would not mean much of anything.

Re: CRCM Exam - 03/08/18 08:04 PM

I agree, if you know the basics you can narrow your research.

Not sure if I agree with your point about smart phones, the idea is that you have a broad knowledge of all the regs and can effectively research and provide well rounded answers.

Many of the questions have subjective answers!

Still contemplating a 3rd attempt! smile
Posted By: Monster

Re: CRCM Exam - 03/09/18 08:37 PM

I agree with the 'subjective answers' comment, but personally felt the subjectivity I learned from the 10 week course is what made me stronger than ever. Anyone can read the regulations, but not everyone would respond the "best" way. It was critical for me to learn that it's really all risk based, when in my early years of compliance I was only taught right/wrong.

There's grey area to regulatory compliance.
Posted By: bnkcmpl3133

Re: CRCM Exam - 03/15/18 11:58 PM

@Tanders922, I am in the same boat. I'm looking to sit for the exam for the 3rd time after not passing during the last testing window in February. Both times I have missed passing by an extremely small margin. I say go for it if you are in a position to do it again. What did you think of the new scoring model this year? Did it make much sense to you? I am still trying to figure it out myself.

Re: CRCM Exam - 05/29/18 07:27 PM

I am considering it. I do want to pass it, I am just struggling with interpreting those questions. I wish the test questions were more like the ones on the exam so then you get used to answering them.

I liked the new scoring.. I am still working thru it though.

Any luck on studying? I am afraid the questions, lessons, etc are becoming rote.

Re: CRCM Exam - 05/29/18 07:29 PM

yes.. and that's the hard part of taking this exam; the grey can have many hues.
Posted By: GLL

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/01/18 02:10 PM

I just took the exam yesterday. Yes, waited to the last day of the month to take. I started with the 10 week online course last August and decided to wait until February to test. A family medical situation came up in February and I rescheduled my test for May because I wanted to be able to devote the study time I felt necessary. I don't consider myself a good "test taker". I am older, been in banking for almost 30 years (16 years in internal audit and compliance). I have not stressed like this in a long time over something that was completely voluntary for me. I took the study questions and answers and made me a study guide. I went to a Castle testing center yesterday and I am thankful for the immediate pass/fail. Can't explain the immediate weight lifted off of my shoulders. So glad to see the word "congratulations" and "passed" in all my life!!! At this point in my life, I am done testing!!! But so glad to have this certification now! Best of luck with all that are still deciding on whether to take the exam or not.
Posted By: crzy2rtrn

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/01/18 02:20 PM

Congratulations!!
Posted By: Adam F

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/01/18 02:35 PM

Congratulations!

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 01:45 PM

What I'm interested in, does the CRCM add any real value? I know it's a difficult exam and looks impressive, but I've never seen it as a requirement for any job in 15+ years of banking (I say this as a former CCO for a Private Bank). However, the CAMS, which IMO, is no where near as difficult, is a job requirement for most AML and many audit roles in my area. Given the cost and time involved, is it really worth it?

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 04:19 PM

I'm in the Midwest and have worked in a couple of different banks as a compliance officer. When I was interviewing for jobs the last time, the one bank I was interviewing for was going to require that I get my CRCM. They are a larger bank with many branches. I didn't get the job, was okay with that actually. Too big of bank for me.

Ended up at a smaller institution and like it a lot better.
Posted By: HMS Pippii

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 04:39 PM

FWIW, I wouldn't hire a Compliance Officer who didn't have their CRCM. I might interview someone with a resume that I really liked, ask why they didn't have their CRCM, and evaluate their answer, but I expect them to already have it. I also expect a Bachelor's Degree that indicates the ability to read, research, write, and engage in critical thinking. I'll also toss a resume with typos and/or grammar issues with the assumption that it's indicative of their best work.

The CRCM isn't that hard an exam if you know your stuff.

In my view, it's absolutely worth it.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 06:01 PM

::makes note to never attempt applying for a job opening with Pippii::

wink
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 06:05 PM

I made the same note... smile

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 06:10 PM

Glad to know I'm in good company smile
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 06:12 PM

I didn't know what the CRCM exam was when i got into the banking industry 11 years ago, and i've had no push from management to get the certification in the time since. I really don't know how to feel about the CRCM thing......

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 06:15 PM

P.S.--i guess i know not to apply with Pippii. smile

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 07:15 PM

I obtained the CRCM certification in 2007 and it has seemed to help me; however I do not have a Bachelor's Degree - just an Associates. I have also noted not to apply with Pippi.
Posted By: Adam Witmer

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 07:37 PM

It's been a while since I got my CRCM but I've actually had more than one examiner tell me that my CRCM gave them a greater comfort level of my compliance management abilities. They stated that they went through an examiner certification process that was similar to the CRCM, so they found value in the CRCM.

Also, for me, it forced me to dive into areas that didn't apply to my bank at the time and helped me to be more well-rounded. It was also beneficial when I wanted to get into consulting.

That said, there are many compliance professionals much smarter than me that don't have the CRCM, so...

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By Skittles
I obtained the CRCM certification in 2007 and it has seemed to help me; however I do not have a Bachelor's Degree - just an Associates. I have also noted not to apply with Pippi.

I thought the same when I read Pippi's post, like Skittles, I too have my CRCM, an associates and 31 years banking experience. Not everything in this business is about degree's. I look at the job posting's where I work and see what they want for education and I laugh. First, someone with that much paper is not going to work for the salary they want to pay and like others have said there are a lot of very smart compliance folks on BOL that do not have any initials next to their names and I take what they tell me as gospel.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 08:15 PM

I have a bachelor's degree-----in social studies education. What does that have to do with compliance? Zero. I think competent compliance people can come from all sorts of backgrounds, have degrees, no degrees, certifications, no certifications, etc.

But having said that, i do understand where Pippii is coming from.....it's hard to KNOW whether someone has those attributes (willingness to work; ability to read, write, and comprehend; etc.) just from looking at an application or talking to someone for 5 minutes.....so a certification or something similar can act as a good proxy for that.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 08:52 PM

I wasn't picking on Pippii at all - and many employers state they want a Bachelor's degree. I just don't happen to have one - but do have almost 39 years in banking.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/04/18 08:58 PM

Oh boy - looks like I just killed my applicant pool! Good thing I don't have any openings... I'm not the only CRCM|CAMS combo on the team. I should point out that my preferred degree is in Lib Arts/Science since I know from experience just how much critical thinking, research, and writing is required in this job.

If I had someone apply with a high school degree, 5+ years compliance experience, and a CRCM? I'd absolutely talk to them if their resume was clean - no typos, no grammar issues. One of the smartest bankers I knew at my last bank had a high school degree and 35+ years of bank experience. She did a fantastic job running the customer-facing side of the bank until she had to write something. As much as we have to write? She'd have floundered because nobody wants their boss to re-write their work any more than the boss wants to constantly edit for grammar and clarity. Her management responses to our audit reports were cringe-worthy. Everyone who reported to her loved her management skills. I'm not an elitist snob. I want people to be in the best job for their skill set.

I'd hire a Compliance Analyst without a degree or a CRCM. I just wouldn't hire a Compliance Officer without both. smile
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 03:07 AM

I think the CRCM also has a lot to do with the market you are in. I was with a small bank in a small town, CRCM was no big deal and not too many bankers in the area had it. Examiners were pretty much the only people even asking about it and pretty much for the reason previously stated. Pippii, however, is in a large metropolitan area and has a much larger pool to choose from; being more selective helps to limit the prospects.

Now I am in another position with a bigger company and the CRCM is expected and they pay for us to get it. I must admit, I am rather proud of being able to pass on the first go. You really can teach an old dog!!!

As for the typos and grammar, while I am not that offended in casual conversation or postings; I also expect applications and resumes to be their best work and free of errors. Maybe has something to do with having been a Business Education major!!

As for the exam, I thought that you could not rely on the results that you were given at the time of the exam. Has something changed? We had to wait for the "official" email that came 6 weeks later.
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 05:29 PM

I was an FDIC examiner and later started a compliance consulting company. After 8 years of doing compliance everyday, I took the CRCM exam (2001) to appease a few large bank clients. Did it make me better at my job? No. I didn't even study for it because this is what I do everyday.

All of the consultants on our Team have passed the CRCM. We do it because the "industry" seems to hold it in high regards. My personal opinion is that it's a benchmark, but I've seen a lot of simple questions on BOL from people with CRCM in their title line. I'm not trying to be rude, just tell you straight up that I don't think the CRCM designation amounts to much.

As to having a degree: Some of my best Team Members have no college or Associates Degrees. Work ethic, passion and the ability to learn are held in a much higher regard by me than a piece of paper from a college.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 06:50 PM

but I've seen a lot of simple questions on BOL from people with CRCM in their title line. I'm not trying to be rude, just tell you straight up that I don't think the CRCM designation amounts to much.

This.

Work ethic, passion and the ability to learn are held in a much higher regard by me than a piece of paper from a college

and, Thank you, I feel the same way and am one of those paperless people smile

FWIW, if I'd gone for the paper, I wouldn't be a CO. wink

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 06:58 PM

For some reason, this reminds me of something my dad once said......someone around him said "money can't buy happiness" and Dad replied "neither can poverty".

Having a college degree doesn't mean you know more than someone without one. Not having a college degree doesn't mean you're more street smart than someone with a college degree. You have to take people, one at a time.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 07:29 PM

Haha...dad's are so wise! Mine was an accountant and an educator. He so often said that many people were highly educated and great teachers but could not begin to do the job for which they otherwise teach so well laugh!

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 08:02 PM

I think the moral to this story is don't judge a book by it's cover. As stated, there are very smart people who just did not have the means to obtain the paper or who did not want to and they are making great contributions to this world.

So take the test or don't take it, whatever works for you is what you should do and not let any of the other noise get in the way!
Posted By: Sunshine Lady

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 08:22 PM

I agree with Soccer.
Posted By: JC (Darth HMDA)

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 08:35 PM

Since we are on the subject of certifications. I obtained my CRCM last year. I would like to work towards another. I have recently taken a position at a smaller bank where I will be responsible for BSA. Should I go for the CAMS, or should I work towards the CERP, or CIA?

Not sure - I want them all eventually. Mostly just for focused continued education and a goal to work towards.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Posted By: Adam Witmer

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 08:43 PM

I would say it depends on what you want to do long term as a career objective. All three are in different areas of specialty: BSA, risk, audit.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 09:15 PM

CAMS is awesome but CFE would be good too. See which one management will pay for first!

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/05/18 09:29 PM

The CIA covers auditing in all disciplines, not only banking.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/07/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By Soccer
I think the moral to this story is don't judge a book by it's cover. As stated, there are very smart people who just did not have the means to obtain the paper or who did not want to and they are making great contributions to this world.

So take the test or don't take it, whatever works for you is what you should do and not let any of the other noise get in the way!
Agreed! No CRCM here but I'm good at what I do and surround myself with a great, dedicated team. Been in banking for 28 years well over half of those in compliance and BSA, I have the experience and knowledge to excel and I don't feel a lettered designation after my name is going to make a difference for me, just my opinion. I've not been questioned by any auditors or examiners either and have always done very well on exams. My employer respects me, treats me well, has not demanded I seek certification so as far as I'm concerned, I'm good! grin
Posted By: JC (Darth HMDA)

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/07/18 05:45 PM

Thanks Adam/EE/Rocky. I know they are very different - but I have to wear a lot of hats now. smile

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/07/18 06:47 PM

I should stay out of the conversation at this point, but - in your current job, if it makes no difference? It makes no difference. I was in Compliance for 18 years before I decided it was worth the effort to go take the CRCM exam.

If you find yourself in a candidate pool looking for a job, you're at the mercy of the hiring company's expectations. I think it also comes down to knowing what size bank you're likely to work for, how much focus you'll have on Compliance compared to other areas, and what your competition in the market will look like if you decide to change jobs.

Darth - I'm with EEGB. See which one they'll pay for first and then factor in your preference.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/07/18 09:04 PM

I recently got the CRCM and while I am very proud to have it hanging on the wall, I don't know that I have the time to attend enough training to keep the certification active. I may become one of those CRCM(inactive) guys.

I'm all for staying abreast of things, but I accomplish that through BOL and a limited number of seminars throughout the year. Not near enough to hit the target.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/08/18 06:31 PM

Norm - don't overlook the tests in the back of the monthly ABA Compliance Magazine. You get CE credit for taking those. Add in a few webinars/seminars and it's not hard to maintain.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/08/18 06:32 PM

I agree - I take every one of those.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/08/18 08:39 PM

It is only like 20 hours a year, and I think you an hour credit for the test?

Also, if you participate in a state banker association compliance roundtables or education networking events, leverage those as well. I have yet to have a credit submission to be turned down. I usually end up carrying hours over from one three year period to the next.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/08/18 08:42 PM

Verafin also gives CAMS credit for going to their road shows - 5.5 for this last one. And it's a great networking opportunity, even if you don't use Verafin.

Re: CRCM Exam - 06/08/18 08:51 PM

If you have any interest in working AML and/or Sanctions, you should obtain the CAMS certification.