PEP = escaping from an abusive family?

Posted By: Anonymous

PEP = escaping from an abusive family? - 03/09/20 10:41 AM

I'm not a banker, but I'm hoping to get advice. My family is abusive, and I want to escape this situation by making my own bank account. I'm 23 years old but I'm having a difficult time opening a bank account because of my father's PEP status, which makes me a PEP by affiliation as well. I just want to open a bank account as an adult for myself that my parents have no control over and no knowledge of. What documents would I need to have a bank account opened?

Thank you!
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: PEP = escaping from an abusive family? - 03/09/20 02:57 PM

What documents would I need to have a bank account opened?

I think you would need to ask the specific bank you are wanting to open an account with...their could be variations depending on location, charter, regulator, bank requirements, etc.
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: PEP = escaping from an abusive family? - 03/09/20 04:34 PM

Not all PEPs are equal. If you're the son of the PM of large country I get it. But if you're the son of the Mayor of a small US town I don't see much risk there. It really does depend on so many different factors it would be hard to address this without more information.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: PEP = escaping from an abusive family? - 03/09/20 06:32 PM

Have you thought about an online account?
fwiw, opening an account in your name alone will have no effect on the abuse.
I suggest you reach out to an abuse hotline. They've got the information and resources you need for the bank account info and beyond and are bound by privacy laws that should protect you.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: PEP = escaping from an abusive family? - 03/09/20 09:06 PM

The thread is being locked. the original post was from South Korea.