Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount

Posted By: gunches

Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount - 01/13/16 03:49 PM

We received an application to pre-qualify a borrower. There was an address of property, but no loan amount. Is this HMDA reportable?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount - 01/13/16 03:53 PM

How can you have a pre-qual with an address???
Posted By: gunches

Re: Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount - 01/13/16 03:56 PM

Borrower had found a property they liked and wrote the address on the application.
Posted By: swiggles

Re: Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount - 01/13/16 04:00 PM

Incomplete application until borrower submits an amount?.....just guessing....
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount - 01/13/16 04:04 PM

IMHO, usually, there are three types of "application" very much simplification

Pre-qualify - "how much house can I afford" - s/b no credit pulled and information solely from documents provided - "based on your income and cash, you can afford a home in the $xxx to $xxx range with 20% down". Not HMDA reportable

Pre approval - "I'm looking for a house and want to know if I would qualify" - bank underwrites the loan, performs verifications and approves subject to suitable property being found. "You are approved for $XXX until xx/xx/xx subject to the property being suitable" HMDA reportable

Application - underwritten with property - HMDA reportable
Posted By: swiggles

Re: Prequalification - Address but no Loan Amount - 01/13/16 04:10 PM

Quote:
Pre approval - "I'm looking for a house and want to know if I would qualify" - bank underwrites the loan, performs verifications and approves subject to suitable property being found. "You are approved for $XXX until xx/xx/xx subject to the property being suitable" HMDA reportable

Back to the age-old debate....how do you perform verifications without providing the applicant with a Loan Estimate? This is the reason why at my current bank and two prior, there is/was no pre-approval program. We DO pre-qualify and for that, we DO obtain a credit report. The decision is then based on information the applicant provided on the application.