New auditor training manual

Posted By: Reed

New auditor training manual - 01/15/07 06:59 PM

Can anyone reccomend a "basic skills" type manual for a new internal auditor?
Posted By: blue

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/15/07 08:47 PM

Contact the IIA or go to the Bookstore on their website, http://www.theiia.org. They offer a seminar on basic internal auditing skills so I suspect they have training materials that might accompany it.
Also, the ICBA offer certification in bank auditing and publish a series of manuals related to bank auditing. They cover workpapers, auditing certain topics, audit programs, etc.

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/16/07 01:43 PM

Thanks!

Do you (or anyone else out there) have the ICBA manuals? If so, which ones, how do you like them, etc.

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/17/07 05:58 PM

Yes, I have them. I inherited them. I must confess that I haven't used them a lot. I was told they were a good tool if you were new to auditing but I am not new to it. For audit programs I have found Bank Internal Auditing manuals from Warren, Gorham and Lamont to be very beneficial.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/17/07 06:56 PM

Spin, I have the ICBA manuals. I received them when I attended both weeks of the ICBA Audit Institute. I would highly recommend the classes if it fits into your budget. I did not attend the classes as a newbie but I think it would have been very beneficial.

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/17/07 07:08 PM

SarahH, Are you indicating that it was beneficial for you even though you already had audit experience? I was told not to attend since I would not benefit from it (lots of experience = I'm old). However, if you had already had audit experience and found it very useful, perhaps I should attend. What would you recommend?
Posted By: Life of Riley

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/17/07 07:47 PM

Spin, I got the ICBA manuals when I was new to audit and found them to be very helpful. The information on workpapers (what to use, how to organize and what the purpose is) was a big help.

I just put their Auditing Institute on my wish list for this year, recommended attendees are auditing personnel - regardless of previous experience and training.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/17/07 08:26 PM

blue, There were people in my sessions that had been in banking and/or audit for a long time. I believe some people were there to "freshen" up their audit skills. I had two years audit experience when I went and had not had any formal training in audit prior to the ICBA institute. When I think about it, I guess two years in audit...I was still a newbie!! I did take a lot out of it not to mention the fact that I did become certified (Certified Community Bank Internal Auditor) for what that's worth. It's hard for me to recommend or not recommend this to you because I'm not sure what you would be looking to gain from the experience. It is definitely geared towards those that know very little about internal auditing in a financial institution.

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/17/07 09:39 PM

Thanks, all. The audit workpaper manual is kind of what I had my eye on, I think I'll try that one.
Posted By: davidm

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/18/07 02:14 PM

Irwin Professional Publishing produces a "Financial Services Audit Documentation" manual that was authored by Judith Taylor Weikel. The ISBN is 0-7863-0961-x. I have found this book to be very helpful to new auditors in my department.
Posted By: Life of Riley

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/18/07 03:45 PM

Thanks Sarah, hearing about your experience with the course makes me want to go even more!

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/26/07 01:47 PM

FWIW, I just got my ICBA working papers manual in the mail yesterday and I love it! It is probibly a bit basic for those who have been doing this for a while, but I would say those with 2 years experiance or less this would be beneficial. There are lots of sample workpapers, risk assessments, reports, ect.

Re: New auditor training manual - 01/26/07 02:16 PM

SarahH, Thanks so much for the feedback. I will definitely research this a little more based on your feedback. Thanks for sharing.