New internal auditor needs HELP!!

Posted By: lakesider

New internal auditor needs HELP!! - 07/06/07 02:03 PM

I have just been appointed internal auditor (I was compliance auditor). Can someone get me some ideas on setting up an internal audit program so I don't miss any critical areas?? Or share your own program??
Posted By: Auditjg

Re: New internal auditor needs HELP!! - 07/06/07 03:53 PM

I use the RIA Thompson manual online. You can get either a hard copy or online version. It's relatively inexpensive (around $500 or so). I know Shesnauf also has one you can look into. That's where I'd start if I were you. Below is the link to the RIA manual for internal audit. I'd be happy to share any risk assessments too. Just PM me. Thanks!

http://ria.thomson.com/eStore/detail.aspx?ID=BIAM
Posted By: auditoresq

Re: New internal auditor needs HELP!! - 07/06/07 11:39 PM

Congrats debbie. As a new BSA senior auditor, I used the FFIEC manual as baseline, and appendix J & M, to set up framework. You might check your regulator website for examiners' "expectations".
Posted By: lakesider

Re: New internal auditor needs HELP!! - 07/09/07 07:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions
Posted By: Rosie O'Grady

Re: New internal auditor needs HELP!! - 07/17/07 11:55 PM

Be sure to define your charter first and foremost....
Posted By: rexinaudit

Re: New internal auditor needs HELP!! - 07/18/07 02:09 PM

Financial Managers Society has a good resource on CD-ROM, Financial Institutions Internal Audit Desk Reference, 2nd ed. You can see details on their website: https://www.fmsinc.org/cms/?pid=1468. They also offer seminars and webinars.

Check out the Institute of Internal Auditors and join the local chapter for your area. www. theiia.org. They have some free resources on the website and others for sale. The Audit Charters are helpful. The IIA has a special membership section for auditors in the financial services industry with dedicated newsletter and annual conference, which are both helpful.