Single-Party CD Owner dies

Posted By: Lele

Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 03:48 PM

A single-party CD owner dies and the bank received notification about 1 month later. Can the bank cease paying interest on a single party interest bearing account once the death notice is received?
TIA
Posted By: BrianC

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 03:54 PM

The funds now belong to the estate and the estate is just as entitled to earn interest as the deceased owner. Once the court appointed administrator comes forward, you should adjust the interest reporting to report interest paid prior to death for the decedent and interest paid after death to the estate.

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 04:06 PM

Forgot to mentions: There is a POD on the account.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 04:09 PM

Same premise applies.

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 05:32 PM

Yep. Substitute beneficiary for estate in my original response.

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 05:32 PM

Thank you!

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 08:48 PM

Clarification since I am asked, is paying the interest required? There appears to be a question on the word, "entitled"

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/15/21 08:56 PM

The certificate is a contract. Any ability to suspend paying interest because the bank concludes the contract is void due to the death of the account owner is a matter of state law and I would direct this question to legal counsel.

From a reputation risk perspective, if counsel says it is permissible to hold the beneficiary's money interest free, consider their reaction when they find out as well as all their social media friends' reactions.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Single-Party CD Owner dies - 03/16/21 03:48 PM

That's what has been going through my head too Brian. I was like why would you want to stop paying interest just because someone passed away, especially what little interest CD's typically earn anyway. Even if you could, why would you just based on the reputation risk alone.