Reg E Disputes & Record Retention

Posted By: BSL87

Reg E Disputes & Record Retention - 02/02/23 09:44 PM

If a financial institution purges account statement information after 7 years and dispute data after 2 years (as required by Reg E). What is the FI's responsibility if a customer files a Reg E debit card dispute beyond 7 years?
Posted By: Valley girl

Re: Reg E Disputes & Record Retention - 02/02/23 10:53 PM

Thank heavens I never will have to find out. As a CU, we are required to keep statements permanently, 12 CFR 749. I imagine you would have to give them whatever they said had happened. I would be really careful about how I phrased my request for a copy of their records.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Reg E Disputes & Record Retention - 02/03/23 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BSL87
If a financial institution purges account statement information after 7 years and dispute data after 2 years (as required by Reg E). What is the FI's responsibility if a customer files a Reg E debit card dispute beyond 7 years?

None.
Posted By: BSL87

Re: Reg E Disputes & Record Retention - 02/07/23 02:44 PM

Thanks. If there's no statute of limitations for filing a Reg E claim and financial institutions cannot deny claims for solely being out of timeframe, how would the bureau expect the FI's to respond to such claims when no records are available due to retention standards. Wouldn't the FI still be expected to perform a reasonable investigation? If so, how do we perform that with no records?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Reg E Disputes & Record Retention - 02/07/23 03:52 PM

You cannot - so there is nothing to do. Plus, is this just a hypothetical exercise and why are we going through it? If you want a solid answer- present your question to the CFPB.

https://reginquiries.consumerfinance.gov/