Local Checks-8th Fed Res. District

Posted By: OnTheEdge

Local Checks-8th Fed Res. District - 08/17/05 07:50 PM

As long as I've been doing this,I'm really embarrassed to ask this question, but I've gotten myself confused. We clear thru the Memphis Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. Routing numbers are divided into two sections(1) Home Office - St. Louis and (2) Memphis Branch. Do we have to consider both sections as "local" checks for Reg CC purposes?
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Local Checks-8th Fed Res. District - 08/17/05 08:04 PM

You are permitted the occasional "brain cramp."

Where you clear checks is indirectly involved in what you call "local." The true measure of what's local is which check processing region your BRANCH is located in. If your bank has branches in both the St. Louis and the Memphis regions, depositors in the St. Louis region branches get "local" check treatment for checks drawn on banks listed under St. Louis in Appendix A to Regulation CC. Depositors in the Memphis region branches get local check treatment for checks drawn on banks listed under the Memphis branch.

If all your branches are located in the Memphis check processing region, then all you need to call local are banks with routing numbers listed under the Memphis office in Appendix A.
Posted By: OnTheEdge

Re: Local Checks-8th Fed Res. District - 08/17/05 08:24 PM

Thanks John....I feel much better now. That's what we've been doing all these years, but for some reason I decided to question this. (I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I'm updating Hold Procedures for Tellers/CSRs.) Thanks again for your help!