Operational Risk

Posted By: Deepa C

Operational Risk - 12/23/02 05:15 AM

I have recently been given the responsibility in my bank to develop and implement a policy that covers operational risk, so that we can be ready for BIS II. Does anyone know of any site that provides information on the various Key Risk Indicators that are used to monitor risk in the areas of retail banking, corporate banking, trade finance and simple Treasury transactions? (plain vanilla FX, options, interest rate swaps)? Also, where could I get information on "Operational Risk Self Assessment" forms that have to be filled out by Business and Support Unit Heads each quarter?

Your suggestions will be most appreciated. In case any of you have already developed the KRI's / ORSA's, would you mind sharing them with me on dchandrasekhar@rakbank.co.ae.

Posted By: BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT

Re: Operational Risk - 12/23/02 04:35 PM

You may want to visit HERE - a 79 page report by Barclays relating to operational risk factors RE: Basel II.

This is a complicated subject. Good Luck.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Operational Risk - 12/23/02 07:29 PM

I still remember my initial reaction when I first heard the regulators promoting "Risk Management."

Sounds like a wonderful thing to be doing, but just exactly HOW does it get done? But like most great regulatory pushes, the overall concept is pushed down first, and the details come later. Examples include:
1. CRA
2. Know Your Customer (aka Enhanced Due Dilligence)
3. Y2K Preparedness (at least initially)
4. Information Security

Why do I get the feeling that Financial Institutions are viewed as Think Tank Resoures?

BTW - Thanks for the link Grist. I've printed it out as I'm one of those that gets to work on the "details" of Risk Management!
Posted By: BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT

Re: Operational Risk - 12/23/02 07:50 PM

You are welcome. HERE is a FRB Chicago presentation "Emerging Practices in Operational Risk Management" that is also on point.

I'm reminded of the quote "The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side." (Jame Baldwin).

Not that "risk management" in banking is ugly, but it can be ugly and without virtually any readable input to go by the task of sorting out risk factors can be a really ugly chore, or maybe awful or monstrous chore are better words in this case.
Posted By: Deepa C

Re: Operational Risk - 12/24/02 04:41 AM

Thanks for your feedback - Bonnie and Grist. I am unable to open the link for www.investors.barclays.com. If you have it as a PDF file plse email to dchandrasekhar@rakbank.co.ae.

Merry Xmas.:)