Flood Location 2 strucutres

Posted By: CompDat

Flood Location 2 strucutres - 03/18/10 01:05 PM

I was looking through an appraisal of a property located in a flood zone. It has a detached garage that is valued at $15,000. I pulled a map from our determination provider and it is definately in the flood zone too.

I searched the guide for advice but I am not sure how to get two policies if both share the same address (since the garage does not have its own address). Has anyone run into this issue before? If so, let me know how to present this to the insurance agent or loan officer. Thanks
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Flood Location 2 strucutres - 03/18/10 01:36 PM

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18292

Does my NFIP policy cover all the buildings on my property?

The Standard Flood Insurance Policy provides coverage for one building per policy. The only exception is 10 percent coverage for a detached garage. However, the total payment for flood damage to the detached garage and the house together cannot exceed the building policy limit. For coverage to apply, the garage can only be used for parking and storage. Any other use would void this coverage; for example, if the garage has a workshop, the coverage would not apply. All other buildings on the premises need separate coverage. (Coverage is also available for owners of condominium units.) The maximum coverage available is $250,000 for residential properties and $500,000 for commercial properties.
Posted By: CompDat

Re: Flood Location 2 strucutres - 03/18/10 01:57 PM

Thank you so much. This has really helped me.