Cash to Borrower at Closing FHA Purchase Loan

Posted By: WHEDA

Cash to Borrower at Closing FHA Purchase Loan - 09/05/14 07:06 PM

I searched but came up with nothing, so I'll ask - If a borrower has paid an atypical amount of earnest money (say $2,500) when entering into a purchase contract then they finance 96.5% of the price plus the UFMIP, receive a closing cost credit from the seller and obtain grant funds for down payment and closing costs, all of which exceeds the amount needed to cover the down payment and costs, can the borrower receive some or all of the earnest money back in cash (check) at the closing. All I have been able to find in the HUD Handbooks is 4155.2 6.A.1.d which states "a per diem interest credit may not result in cash back to the borrower".
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Cash to Borrower at Closing FHA Purchase Loan - 09/05/14 07:11 PM

Just because the math almost always results in a net amount due FROM the borrower in a purchase transaction, that doesn't mean that it will always be the case. If the HUD-1 math is such that the credits to the borrower (including loan proceeds) exceed the charges to the borrower (including the purchase price net of earnest money), the borrower comes away from the table with more than he sat down with.
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Cash to Borrower at Closing FHA Purchase Loan - 09/05/14 07:13 PM

And it's certainly more likely to happen with a high LTV loan than with an 80% LTV transaction.