HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status

Posted By: lana

HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/10/05 04:38 PM

Need some help. I have a HMDA reportable loan, purpose is to purchase a rental house but the collateral, securing the loan is the customer's primary residence. If I understand the regulation, I will report the Property Location for the primary residence, so wouldn't the owner occupancy status need to be a 1 for owner occupied? My loan processor thinks it should be a 2 since the purpose is to purchase a rental house.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/10/05 04:46 PM

I am a little confused about the transaciton-is your customer taking cash out of their primary residence to purchase the investment property? If that is the case, it should be reported as owner occupied, since your transaction is based on that property-The purpose of the cash out is irrelevant.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/10/05 04:47 PM

The way I understand it, you would code it a "1" owner occupied because it is secured by the primary residence.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/10/05 05:10 PM

Page D-10, Occupancy, among other things, it says "institution reports the owner-occupancy status of the property for which property location is being reported. see 4(a)(9)"

Page D-12 4(a)(9) 2. Property Location--"For a home purchase loan, an institution reports the property taken as security. If an institution takes more than one property as security, the institution reports the location of the property being purchased...."

It appears that you are right, security is customer's residence, report occupancy as 1. If you take both, use purchased property and report as 2.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/10/05 05:14 PM

SoccerMom's analysis is correct.

You always report the appropriate information for the dwelling/property that is being reported on the LAR.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/10/05 09:05 PM

Thanks Dan, boy did I need to feel like I did one thing right today!!! Working on HMDA and CRA, exam starts Monday, board meeting, annual meeting and my PC is not cooperating............On top of all that, I thought today was Friday, jeeza louisa! Maybe I should just open the bar.
Posted By: lana

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 02/11/05 03:04 PM

Thanks to all of you. You've been a big help! Have a great weekend.
Posted By: #12

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 10/25/05 04:41 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. My question was the exact same as the original one, and I understand the occupancy code should relate to the property being reported, not the property being purchased. So, if a rental house is being purchased, but the loan is secured by the primary residence, the occupancy code is owner occupied. My question is, is the purpose code still a 1 (purchase)? Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 10/25/05 04:49 PM

Purpose would be purchase.
Posted By: #12

Re: HMDA - Owner Occupancy Status - 10/25/05 04:49 PM

Thanks...I don't know why I doubt myself!