HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In

Posted By: Dan Persfull

HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 04:00 PM

FWIW, it looks like I will have to succumb to the new FFIEC ruling lacking any official guiadance from the FDIC's Washington, DC or Chicago Regional Offices.

You may or may not want to adopt the following, however this will be our stance on temporary financing for now. I apologize for the length.

January 11, 2006
To: Loan Officers and Loan Support Personnel
RE: Temporary Financing and HMDA Reporting

From the Frequently Asked Question posted by the FFIEC for HMDA related issues.

Temporary Financing. When is a loan "temporary financing" such that it is exempt from reporting?

Answer: The regulation lists as examples of temporary financing construction loans and bridge loans. See 203.4(d)(3). Construction and bridge loans are illustrative, not exclusive, examples of temporary financing. The examples indicate that financing is temporary if it is designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term. A loan is not temporary financing merely because its term is short. For example, a lender may make a loan with a 1-year term to enable an investor to purchase a home, renovate it, and re-sell it before the term expires. Such a loan must be reported as a home purchase loan. See 203.2(h).
The above FAQ was posted on November 21, 2005 in response to an interpretive letter released by the Kansas City FDIC Regional Office. This “new” interpretation of temporary financing is in conflict with a bulletin issued by the Chicago FDIC Regional Office in 2002 and it has caused quite a controversy in the Compliance world.

I have been in direct contact with our FDIC examiners since its release voicing my opposition to the interpretation. For what it is worth our Indianapolis examiners agree with me. However, to date there has been no official statement from the FDIC’s Washington, DC or Chicago Regional offices that I am aware of. Through my compliance contacts it appears the OCC, other FDIC Regional Offices and other regulatory authorities are upholding this new interpretation.

Although I do not agree with this interpretation, due to the lack of an official interpretation from the FDIC’s Washington, DC or Chicago Regional Office we will have to abide by this interpretation since it has been posted by the FFIEC.

Effective for all loan applications received on or after January 1, 2006 temporary financing will no longer be what we have considered it to be in the past.

The following guidelines (beginning on page two) will need to be followed. If you have any questions at all concerning these guidelines please call me.

Temporary Financing Guidelines – Revised January 11, 2006

Definitions (as defined for use by The Peoples State Bank)

Bridge Loan (also called Swing Loan) – A loan to a borrower where funds are to purchase, or construct a new dwelling secured by the equity in an existing dwelling owned by the borrower. This type loan may also be secured by the dwelling being purchased or constructed.

Construction Loan – a loan made for the purpose of the initial construction of a dwelling.

Dwelling - Dwelling means any residential structure, whether or not attached to real property. It includes vacation or second homes and rental properties; multifamily as well as one-to-four-family structures; individual condominium and cooperative units; and manufactured and mobile homes. It excludes recreational vehicles such as boats and campers, and transitory residences such as hotels, hospitals, and college dormitories.

Home Purchase Loan - A home purchase loan is any loan secured by and made for the purpose of purchasing a dwelling. See the definition of “dwelling.”

Home Improvement Loan - A home improvement loan is:
(a) any dwelling-secured loan to be used, at least in part, for repairing, rehabilitating, remodeling, or improving a dwelling or the real property on which the dwelling is located, and
(b) any non-dwelling-secured loan (i) that is to be used, at least in part, for one or more of those purposes and (ii) that is classified as a home improvement loan by the institution.

Refinancing - A refinancing is any dwelling-secured loan that replaces and satisfies another dwelling-secured loan to the same borrower. The purpose of the loan being refinanced is not relevant to determining whether the new loan is a refinancing for HMDA purposes. Nor is the borrower’s intended use of any additional cash borrowed relevant to deter-mining whether the loan is a refinancing, though the borrower’s intended use of the funds could make the transaction a home improvement loan or a home purchase loan. See the definitions of “home purchase loan” and “home improvement loan.”

Special Notes:

Home purchase and refinancing – the dwelling securing the loan does not have to be the dwelling being purchased or refinanced.

Home improvement – beginning January 1, 2004 The Peoples State Bank ceased classifying non-dwelling secured loans as home improvement loans. This policy will continue. Only dwelling secured loans for the purposes of home improvement will be reported as a home improvement loan. The dwelling securing the loan does not have to be the dwelling being improved.

Loans qualifying as temporary financing:

1. Loans meeting the definition of a bridge or construction loan.
2. Loans made where the source of repayment will be other long term financing arrangements by PSB or another lender. If the long term financing arrangement is from another lender there must be a take out commitment from the lender in the file.

All other loans that meet the definition of a home purchase, home improvement or refinancing are now reportable for HMDA purposes. The purchase/renovation of a dwelling where the loan is to be repaid by the sale of the dwelling (or another asset) is no longer eligible for the temporary financing exemption.

Also remember that HMDA applies to all applicable loan requests (applications) whether for business or consumer purposes.
Posted By: Reed

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 04:40 PM

Thanks for posting that.

Question for you, what about construction loans where there is no guarantee of perm. financing, it's assumed that the customer will apply for a traditional 30 year mortgage upon completion, but nothing official? Do you think it's going to be important to have a procedure in place to document that the customer intends to take out permenant financing?

I actually have an example right now of a customer who took out a construction loan to build a cabin on a lake for the purpose of selling it upon completion and paying off the loan from the proceeds of the sale. So, is THAT a reportable loan now? Would it be a purchase? I'm so confused
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 05:21 PM

From what I have read, yours is a reportable loan. Some of their logic (??) here is "what if you had a cash sale, this property would never have been reported" (I didn't say it had to make sense.)

If you have another loan committed to pay this one off, this can be temporary financing, no loan commitment--then report this one.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 05:26 PM

I agree, but then you have a reportable CONSTRUCTION loan, isn't that contradicting Reg C?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 05:51 PM

Exert from the Q&A:

. . . The examples indicate that financing is temporary if it is designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term. . . .

Therefore I agree with SoccerMomQueen that if the loan is not designed to be paid from long term financing, but rather designed to be paid from the sale of the property then it is a reportable loan.

Does this contradict Reg. C, absolutely but the FFIEC has put their opinions in writing. No matter how ludicrous they may be.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 06:02 PM

Dan, In regard to your original post/memo ---- you da man!!
Posted By: COMPLIcated

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:10 PM

I am looking at a loan for home remodeling and the borrowers are doing the work themselves and it states they will pay the loan off with permanent financing through our mortgage dept. and there is approval for that as well. Sounds like it is reportable as per FFIEC now...the only concern is that it has taken a very long time because they are doing the work themselves and we keep refinancing the loan for another 6 months to allow them time to complete the project. I know there is not a time limitation stated in the regulation but would this be questioned by the examiners...the file documents it has already been a year and a half since our mortgage dept. issued approval for the permanent financing.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:15 PM

Quote:

. . . it states they will pay the loan off with permanent financing through our mortgage dept. and there is approval for that as well. . . . it has already been a year and a half since our mortgage dept. issued approval for the permanent financing.

As long as your permanent financing commitment is still valid I would consider this temporary financing.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:17 PM

Quote:

Exert from the Q&A:

. . . The examples indicate that financing is temporary if it is designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term. . . .

Therefore I agree with SoccerMomQueen that if the loan is not designed to be paid from long term financing, but rather designed to be paid from the sale of the property then it is a reportable loan.

Do you realize the implications of this? This means that banks that do housing tract construction financing will have to report those loans for HMDA.

Why?

Because a builder does not build houses with an intent to refinance them. A builder builds houses with an intent to SELL them!

If you take the latest brain-f*rt from the regulators to its conclusion, then banks will be filling HMDA LARS on all that Centex Homes does. And Griffin. And S&S. And Benchmark. And so on!

That is utter insanity, and I think a brave soul (Dan) needs to ask THAT question of the regulators - using the above quoted Q&A "reasoning".

I think keeping the "temporary" definition at any initial constrution is the better way to go.

FWIW - I think Splash and Dashes are simply a variation on initial construction, but apparently I'm not putting the right mushrooms in my salad.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:30 PM

But these would not be reportable because they are not secured by a dwelling - only a lot for residential construction.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:34 PM

Shannon - take a look at the reasoning behind having Bliss report the cabin construction loan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:36 PM

Bonnie, I totally agree. And there are a couple of "contradictions" in their Q&A IMO.

Construction and bridge loans are illustrative, not exclusive, examples of temporary financing.

Yet, the very next statement:

The examples indicate that financing is temporary if it is designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term.

Implies unless there is a permanent financing arrangement to repay the loan then the loan is not temporary. So, if a construction or bridge loan is not going to be paid off by other financing arrangements how do they qualify as a temporary loan.

The regulation does say temporary financing such as construction loans or bridge loans. Therefore if they are not going to be paid off by other financing arrangements then they are not construction or bridge loans because according to the FFIEC a construction or bridge loan indicates they are to be repaid by long term financing arrangements.

I really don't think they understand what they have done.

It would have been so much easier for them to issue a temporary financing definition that does not leave room for speculation.

Also, how many bridge loans are made where the bridge loan will be paid by refinancing it? The majority of bridge loans (or at least how bridge loans are generally structured in our area) are paid form the proceeds of the sale of the existing dwelling. The permanent financing for the purchased dwelling is rarely affected.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:40 PM

Dan - while eating my mushroom salad, I am thinking about refinancing my house to pull equity out to build a bridge. I hear Brooklyn would be a nice location.

Would this be a bridge loan?
Posted By: GreatBlue

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:40 PM

Dan,
Based on your response to Bliss (your post 493608), am I right that you see construction loans as being reportable if they will be paid off by something other than permanent financing? The same would be true of bridge loans? If the loan is to be paid off when the current home sells (in my experience this is the most common type of bridge loan), then it is reportable?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:51 PM

Jill, I think by post #493923 which appears to have crossed yours answers your question.

The problem with exempting "construction loans" and "bridge loans", is to the best of my knowledge there is no regulatory definitions for these terms. Therefore, following the Q&A logic a loan, regardless how you classify it does not qualify for the temporary exemption if it is not to be repaid from long term/permanent financing.

Maybe some one should ask them to define a construction and bridge loan to see how much more controversy and confusion they can generate.

And yes Bonnie, I would classify that as a bridge loan and give you a temporary financing exemption.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 09:59 PM

Okay guys, I am stuck here on this construction question. Construction loans are included in the reg under home purchase loans. It states that to meet the definition of a home purchase for HMDA it must be secured by a dwelling. How can a construction loan show up on the LAR when for this loan application there is not a dwelling? As far as I see it the question as to whether or not it is temporary doesn't even come in to play because it does not meet the definition of a HMDA loan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:05 PM

So, if a construction loan could never meet the criteria for HMDA reporting as it is not dwelling secured, why did they even list it as an example in the reg as being exempt by virtue of being temporary financing?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:11 PM

I was questioning that myself...the const/perm combo or perm financing loan would be reportable because you either have or end up with a dwelling securing the note depending on the case. It would make more sense to say they are excluded by virtue of not meeting the definition of a HMDA reportable loan...but nothing is making sense these days.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:16 PM

Quote:

...but nothing is making sense these days.

Tell me about it!
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:23 PM

There used to be a blurb in GIR, I think it was in a discussion of lot loans, that if any of the loan proceeds were used to begin construction of a dwelling, it would be reportable. Of course, I can't find it now, so maybe they took it out of the book.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:28 PM

Okay - BOLers - since the Regulatory agencies seem either unwilling or unable to define "Temporary" financing, why don't WE do it and submit it to the agencies?

How about we start with:

1. Temporary financing includes any loan for the initial construction of a dwelling.

2. Temporary financing is any loan, regardless of purpose, that is secured by a dwelling but where the loan is made on the premise that the repayment will NOT come from the ordinary income or revenue of the borrower, but will come from either the sale of the property or from financing that will be repaid by ordinary income or revenue of the borrower.

Post your comments, additions, revisions, etc, and let's COME UP WITH a solid definition for "Temporary" financing and see if we can get the regulatory agencies to consider it.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:40 PM

Quote:

Jill, I think by post #493923 which appears to have crossed yours answers your question.

Yes, they did cross. I agree that that's the only reasonable way to read the Q&A, even though it gives an unreasonable result.

I might be reading your memo to your loan personnel wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that a loan can be considered temporary financing if it EITHER meets the definition of bridge or construction OR has as the source of repayment, permanent financing. I think we agree that it has to have permanent financing as its source of repayment, regardless of whether it meets the definition of bridge or construction.

The worst thing about this, is if they come to their senses and realize what all they have pulled into HMDA by this Q&A, and reverse themselves, we get to try to re-train all our lenders. That’s a huge challenge in a shop our size.

Here’s another unintended consequence. A construction loan without permanent financing is considered temporary for RESPA, but with permanent financing, it isn’t considered temporary under RESPA. HMDA will now have exactly the opposite result – with permanent financing, temporary; without permanent, not temporary. Try training lenders on that!
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:44 PM

I like easy - don't ask why I do HMDA. I would say it's any loan up to 24 months (or pick another number) with no principal payments required prior to maturity.
Posted By: Audit Girl

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/12/06 10:45 PM

I am slow getting to the party. Would someone be kind enough to direct me to the link to re-read the Q&A and the FAQ that are being addressed by this? I would like to look at this again before I start wondeirng where the bank falls in on this. Thank you for your help on this.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:17 AM

Quote:

I might be reading your memo to your loan personnel wrong,

No, you're not. I defined what we will consider to be construction and bridge loans. HMDA specifically exempts these loans and I'll rely on that exemption in spite of the implications from the Q&A.

As I said in a reply to my examiner and another BOLer. What the he!! were these people on when they came up with this interpretation?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:23 AM

The entire text of the Q&A is in my post starting this thread, however the Q&A can be found by clicking here and then clicking on Loan Purpose.
Posted By: Len S

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 01:54 PM

Just returned from meeting with regional FDIC Field Review Examiner and discussed this and other issues with her. She was unaware of the KC pronouncement, but my notes of her explanation of temporary financing show that she said the "meaning hasn't changed, but the interpretation has". The key to the interpretation is if the loan is going to be paid from a permanent financing source then the loan is temporary, but if it is going to be paid from a sale of the property (i.e., splash and dash) it is a reportable HMDA mortgage. I suggested she visit this thread to get an understanding of the confusion and frustration among many HMDA reporters on this controversy.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:01 PM

Quote:

The key to the interpretation is if the loan is going to be paid from a permanent financing source then the loan is temporary, but if it is going to be paid from a sale of the property (i.e., splash and dash) it is a reportable HMDA mortgage.

Then the "spec home loans" that were referred to would not qualify for the temporary financing exemption, nor would 95% of bridge loans. These loans are designed to be repaid from the sale of the property not from long term financing.
Posted By: redsfan

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:08 PM

Quote:

Do you realize the implications of this? This means that banks that do housing tract construction financing will have to report those loans for HMDA.

Why?

Because a builder does not build houses with an intent to refinance them. A builder builds houses with an intent to SELL them!

If you take the latest brain-f*rt from the regulators to its conclusion, then banks will be filling HMDA LARS on all that Centex Homes does. And Griffin. And S&S. And Benchmark. And so on!

That is utter insanity, and I think a brave soul (Dan) needs to ask THAT question of the regulators - using the above quoted Q&A "reasoning".

I think keeping the "temporary" definition at any initial constrution is the better way to go.

FWIW - I think Splash and Dashes are simply a variation on initial construction, but apparently I'm not putting the right mushrooms in my salad.

So, how would you report location on a loan to builder under a master loan agreement or revolving line of credit, where there will be multiple properties financed over the course of a reporting year?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:13 PM

Quote:

There used to be a blurb in GIR, I think it was in a discussion of lot loans, that if any of the loan proceeds were used to begin construction of a dwelling, it would be reportable. Of course, I can't find it now, so maybe they took it out of the book.

Does anyone else remember this? Was Shannon correct in saying that a construction loan could not be reportable (even in my example) because it isn't dwelling secured?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:17 PM

Quote:

So, how would you report location on a loan to builder under a master loan agreement or revolving line of credit, where there will be multiple properties financed over the course of a reporting year?

Master loan agreement - each new construction is consummated by a separate note (or at least the way we structure them) under the master loan agreement. Therefore each new note would be reported as a home purchase.

Revolving lines of credit - Reg. C, at least for now, allows optional reporting for open end lines of credit. If you chose to report these you would only report based on the initial advance (unless each advance is supported by a new note).

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 02:51 PM

Quote:

But these would not be reportable because they are not secured by a dwelling - only a lot for residential construction.

I have to disagree:

1. The purpose of a construction loan is to construct (purchase) a dwelling and place it on the property. Your mortgage (security agreement) will include the improvements.

2. HMDA exempts construction only loans as they are by nature temporary financing, not because they are not secured by a dwelling. HMDA requires construction/permanent loans to be reported because these loans are not temporary financing by nature, however HMDA gives you the option to report either when the construction phase begins or when you convert it to the permanent financing phase.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 03:36 PM

Quote:

As I said in a reply to my examiner and another BOLer. What the he!! were these people on when they came up with this interpretation?

It sure makes you wonder what kind of process they go through before they issue these FAQs. There's a reason why regulatory changes (including interpretations) should be subject to proposal and comment.
Posted By: Audit Girl

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 04:55 PM

Thanks for your help Dan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 05:02 PM

Quote:

....she said the "meaning hasn't changed, but the interpretation has".

What the Hades kind of bureaucratic double-speak is THAT???

Okay - at this point, I'd like to introduce a new phrase that we can start using when we see these kind of regulatory shifts that defy logic.

This is from another message board of an entirely different group, but they have been using an interpreation for the acronym "WTF" (What the f....?)

This now means "Where's the Fruitbat" and "Fruitbat" is now the term for this kind of nonsense that drives us, well..... Batty!!!!!
Posted By: bgehres

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 05:39 PM

I received a phone call from our regulator (fed) clearing up the construction loan issue (at least for us). We are to report the short term construction loans where the purpose is to build a house for resale. Her explanation was that the loan we are making is considered the "permanent financing" for the builder because they do not have any intention of obtaining another loan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 06:06 PM

Quote:

We are to report the short term construction loans where the purpose is to build a house for resale. Her explanation was that the loan we are making is considered the "permanent financing" for the builder because they do not have any intention of obtaining another loan.

So, are they saying that we can no longer rely on an exemption (construction loans) that is clearly allowed in the Regulation?

This is getting deeper and deeper.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 06:23 PM

Yes.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 06:33 PM

we don't do const-perm loans, we do const-only. Most customers also take out permanent financing with us once the construction is complete, but they are not obligated to. So, how do you know if the initial construction loan will be reportable or not until the construction is complete? My consern there is with GMI collection...do you take it, do you not.....Reg B violation or Reg C violation....enie, meinie, minie, mo....

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 06:53 PM

My understanding standing is if the payoff of the loan is supposed to be another loan, then it is considered temporary. I don't think you actually have to have the commitment for the permanent loan, just the intent (I could very easily be wrong on this).

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 06:55 PM

but should we have a procedure to document "intent" then?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 07:21 PM

Quote:

we don't do const-perm loans, we do const-only.

Following the Q&A logic, the construction loan is a permanent loan for you as you have no commitment of long term financing. BTW, if you have no commitment for take out financing, why would you do the construction loan?

An email just sent to my contact at the FDIC Chicago Regional Office:

We desperately need official regulatory guidance on this issue.

By going to http://snipurl.com/ljs5 and reading the comments, you will be able to see that the release of the new Q&A has caused a lot of controversy and confusion among the compliance world. This Q&A also appears to be in direct conflict with the SCANS bulletin CHIRO-07-2002 released in May 2002.

I will not pull any punches and tell you right out I think the new interpretation is ludicrous. I will also state that XXXXXXX has been of great assistance in trying to get this resolved, but apparently there has been no official comments released either from the FDIC’s Washington, DC or Chicago Regional Offices.

If you follow the logic of the Q&A then the exemptions for construction and bridge loans might as well be eliminated from the Regulation.

Below is the text from emails sent to XXXXX and you can read my other thoughts and frustrations in the above link.

Any comments and direction that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I will even offer to travel to the Regional Office, at my own expense if necessary, to try to get some meaningful guidance on this issue.

Thank you,
Dan Persfull

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 07:50 PM

These recent regulatory "interpretations" would seem to further drive the nail that HOUSING TRACT Construction financing must be reported on HMDA.

And since the loans are to build Single Family Residences (albiet perhaps 50 to 100 at a time) you are going to wind up with HMDA LARS that have 1 loan, for $23 Million dollars for the "purchase" of a single family residence - no race, no ethnicity, no gender, and no income since the borrower will be a business entity.

WOW - very meaningful data indeed!

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 07:58 PM

Quote:

My understanding standing is if the payoff of the loan is supposed to be another loan, then it is considered temporary. I don't think you actually have to have the commitment for the permanent loan, just the intent (I could very easily be wrong on this).

This will put RESPA and HMDA on opposite ends of the "meaning" of temporary financing. For financing to be "temporary" in REPSA, there can be NO permanent financing, not even the intent for permanent financing, by the same lender.

In HMDA, according to this latest missive, if you do NOT have permanent financing on the hook, then your loan is NOT temporary.

This is absolute insanity, but I fear that someone in a position of power made a bad decision, but the agencies may circle the wagons to defend it since NO ONE wants to admit they made a mistake.

I mean, look at what they did the notion of "Refinacing." We now have to look at SBA and other commercial loans to see if residential property is going to be affected in a commercial take-out or refinance.

This is getting the HMDA Data further and further AWAY from the original intent - too see if red-lining and discrimination exist that affects minority home buyers, homeownes, and housing stock in minority areas.

Good job!

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 08:13 PM

I just got of the phone with my Chicago contact. He was chuckling about some of the comments being made and said it was refreshing to be able to read so many candid comments and that for the most part people being able to keep some humor about them. Bonnie's mushroom salad kind of stuck out in his mind.

He is going to contact his KC contact to get a copy of the "splash and dash" letter (he hadn't seen it) and then he said he will see what he can do to get the ball rolling to get some sort of official comment from either the FDIC or the Fed. So I/we will just have to wait to see what kind of response I/we will get.

As I told him, all we are looking for is some definitive guidance on temporary financing and that as long as we had that we could live with it whether we agreed or disagreed.
Posted By: Bullseye

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 08:27 PM

FWIW, I posed the following question to my field examiner who went to his supervisor, who is now going to regional to get me an answer:

Jack owns a home, Jill owns a home. Jack & Jill get engaged & decide to build a home. They get a construction loan, sell both of their homes & pay off the construction loan. Does this fall on the LAR as a reportable entry because it is not being followed up with permenant financing or do I still get to use the construction loan exemption? And, since the Q & A just came out in December, if this loan is expected to be reported, would I have to go back & change my LAR for 2005?

This is going to the KC FDIC. I will let you know what I hear if you are interested.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 08:31 PM

Quote:

This is going to the KC FDIC. I will let you know what I hear if you are interested.

They're the ones who started this whole mess with their "splash and dash" letter. But, yes we would be very interested in the reply you get.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 08:57 PM

What frustrates me the most about the above example is that the GIR specifically says in Appendix D that a construction loan is an example of temporary financing and IS NOT REPORTABLE. So why should there even need to be a discussion about this question? They are sounding like they agree, but if they say these go on, can I trust nothing in the GIR?
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 09:19 PM

Quote:

Jack owns a home, Jill owns a home. Jack & Jill get engaged & decide to build a home. They get a construction loan, sell both of their homes & pay off the construction loan. Does this fall on the LAR as a reportable entry because it is not being followed up with permenant financing or do I still get to use the construction loan exemption? And, since the Q & A just came out in December, if this loan is expected to be reported, would I have to go back & change my LAR for 2005?

I doubt you'll get an answer, because the regulators don't know Jack. (except mine, of course)

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 09:28 PM

Quote:

I doubt you'll get an answer, because the regulators don't know Jack. (except mine, of course)

Okay - we now need an emoticon for ROFLMAO!!!!

Too funny!

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 09:32 PM

Quote:

I doubt you'll get an answer

I would not say that just yet. I think with the move I made today, contacting Chicago, that we may see some sort of guidance in the near future. At least I have fingers crossed.
Posted By: Angel Eyes

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 09:57 PM

I have our EIC at the OCC looking in to it also. Seems everyone at the OCC is looking for answers. He gave me an informal opinion at least for 2005 data, but told me that he does not know for sure what the OCC position is. Once they come up with something he will let me know and I will post it.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/13/06 10:55 PM

We were instructed to go back and include the splash and cash loans for 2005 but if I have to include all of the construction loans that were to builders I will croak! That is about all of the loan business one of our branches does!!
Posted By: Howard Lax

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 02:59 PM

The Washington Post reports that Fannie Mae's Chief Executive Daniel Mudd told a builder's trade association that the GSE plans to expand its 15 year old construction loan pilot program to offer up to ten billions dollars of residential construction loans. Could this have anything to do with the drafting of the FAQ? Story at
Posted By: Shopgirl

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 03:25 PM

I just received this from our field office of the OCC -

This is a statement from our policy group:

"Bottom line is that the bank must look at the nature of the loan, and not the length of time it will hold the loan, in order to determine if the loan is temporary. Temporary financing essentially depends on whether the loan is to be repaid from proceeds of a loan from another lender or source (i.e., sale of the property or some other source of funds, like an insurance settlement) other than the borrower's income. Bridge loans typically fall into this category as they generally facilitate moving a borrower from one property to another and while neither is defined, the general sense of the commentary to the regulation seems to be if it's not permanent, it's temporary."

The key here is that a permanent loan is typically paid from the borrower's income. There are no hard and fast rules, but I think this is a good rule of thumb. Your examples revolve around loans that are short term and expected to be paid in full in from sources other than borrower income.

This is what we have been doing in the past and sounds like what most of you out there have understood the definition to be, but it is contrary to what opinions in this POST have said regarding the FFIEC FAQ.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 03:36 PM

so, was your field office disagreeing with the KC opinion and FFIEC FAQ's or have they just not read them?
Posted By: Shopgirl

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 03:51 PM

I didn't mention the KC opinion, but after a re-read of the FFIEC FAQ's, this is what I came up with to defend the policy statement from the OCC:
From the FAQ, pay special attention to the following statement, "For example, “A lender may make a loan with a 1-year term to enable an investor to purchase a home, renovate it, and re-sell it before the term expires. Such a loan must be reported as a home purchase loan. See 203.2(h). “
The resale of property bought by an investor (in that line of work) would be oridinary income for the investor and therefore reportable. However, that doesn't mean that ALL loans of this type are made to an investor. If not in that line of work, then not ordinary income.
At least that is the way I now read it and am sticking with that since I have written confirmation from the field office in agreement. That is, until someone comes and kocks my sticky off - which I'm sure will happen sooner or later!
Posted By: biz

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 04:07 PM

Dan-
You state an effective date of 1-1-6. Does this mean that we don't have to go back and correct 2005 HMDA information.
Where is this date coming from. I might add, we are OTS regulated, if that makes a difference. Thanks

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 04:13 PM

Quote:

Dan-
You state an effective date of 1-1-6. Does this mean that we don't have to go back and correct 2005 HMDA information.
Where is this date coming from.

That is strictly a date that I chose to begin collecting information for these "new" loans. I am not collecting or reporting any loans under the new misguidance that began or closed in 2005. This decision was made after an email exchange with my examiner out of Indy. Before you decide not to report the 2005 loans I strongly suggest you have an exchange with your lead examiner.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/17/06 04:15 PM

Quote:

...under the new misguidance...

Good one, Dan!
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/18/06 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dan-
Where is this date coming from.

That is strictly a date that I chose to begin collecting information for these "new" loans. I am not collecting or reporting any loans under the new misguidance that began or closed in 2005. This decision was made after an email exchange with my examiner out of Indy. Before you decide not to report the 2005 loans I strongly suggest you have an exchange with your lead examiner.

I wish I could say that. The OCC told me that I had to go back and find them. GRRRRR

I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They're the ones who started this whole mess with their "splash and dash" letter. But, yes we would be very interested in the reply you get.

I finally got a response & they told me they are going with the information below they received from HMDA Help:

An institution that is questioning whether an application/loan is
'temporary' needs to look at all the factors closely. Each loan in
question should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Because the maturity
is short-term does not necessarily mean it is 'temporary'. Temporary
financing is not intended to be a permanent arrangement; it's a stop gap.
Or it's a 'patch' (like a bridge loan) that gets you to the next loan,
which is usually permanent financing. Any applications/loans that function
like construction loans or bridge loans should be treated as temporary.
Therefore, you would treat builder speculative construction loans as
temporary because the loan is never replaced with permanent financing. If
an institution originates a loan to the applicant and the institution and
applicant know/expect the loan has to be replaced by permanent financing,
then the initial, originated loan is temporary.

They said the real key is to look and each loan on a case-by-case basis and do not consider term.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 03:47 PM

Quote:

I finally got a response & they told me they are going with the information below they received from HMDA Help:

Therefore, you would treat builder speculative construction loans as
temporary because the loan is never replaced with permanent financing. If
an institution originates a loan to the applicant and the institution and
then the initial, originated loan is temporary.

So, if a loan is "never" replaced by permanent financing, it is considered to be temporary. And if a loan "has to be" replaced by permanent financing, it is considered to be temporary.

Who's writing this stuff???

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 03:47 PM

Quote:

Temporary financing is not intended to be a permanent arrangement; it's a stop gap. Or it's a 'patch' (like a bridge loan) that gets you to the next loan, which is usually permanent financing.

Quote:

Therefore, you would treat builder speculative construction loans as temporary because the loan is never replaced with permanent financing.

Do these people even know what they are talking about? In one breath they say temporary financing is financing intended to be replaced by permanent financing and in the next they say a speculative construction loan is temporary because the loan is never replaced by permanent financing!!

How much more confusing can they make it?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 04:02 PM

I am glad you read this & had the same confusion I did!! We feel that there has to be some kind of typo or something & that they meant to say both types go on. We are going with this:

Quote:

Any applications/loans that function
like construction loans or bridge loans should be treated as temporary. If an institution originates a loan to the applicant and the institution and
then the initial, originated loan is also (my addition) temporary.

I don't know if this is right & couldn't get a clear answer from them. Again, they stressed that it was up to the institution to decide on a case-by-case basis. Leaves the door wide open, doesn't it???
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 05:16 PM

Therefore, you would treat builder speculative construction loans as temporary because the loan is never replaced with permanent financing.

Do these people even know what they are talking about? In one breath they say temporary financing is financing intended to be replaced by permanent financing and in the next they say a speculative construction loan is temporary because the loan is never replaced by permanent financing!!

How much more confusing can they make it?

A thought on the builder speculative construction financing - the builder would be unlikely to obtain the permanent financing for the home he/she built, the buyer of that home would obtain the permanent financing. This may be the thought process of the HMDA help staff.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 05:24 PM

Quote:

A thought on the builder speculative construction financing - the builder would be unlikely to obtain the permanent financing for the home he/she built, the buyer of that home would obtain the permanent financing. This may be the thought process of the HMDA help staff.

But that's no different from a fix and flip. I think they are trying so hard to make the original FAQ make sense that they are just digging themselves deeper.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 05:51 PM

I have a HMDA headache now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 06:04 PM

Quote:

But that's no different from a fix and flip. I think they are trying so hard to make the original FAQ make sense that they are just digging themselves deeper.

The only thing I can think of here is that a fix & flip is still a home purchase, which I guess was sort of the original intent of HMDA. A construction loan is a purchase of bare ground only & then construction. The permenant financing would be the purchase for HMDA.

I feel the need to rationalize their thinking somehow or I am going to be in for one long, ugly exam!!

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 07:36 PM

Quote:

This was the arguement I presented to our examiners, they still argued that the construction only loan was still permanent financing for the builder, and yes they did admit that the house/loan would be "double counted".

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This was the arguement I presented to our examiners, they still argued that the construction only loan was still permanent financing for the builder, and yes they did admit that the house/loan would be "double counted".

But wait - if "construction only" loans are to be reported because the examiners says the are permanent financing for the builder, then can your examiners explain why the regulation specifically lists "construction loans" as an example of temporary financing which is NOT reportable?

Anyone want to revisit the suggested definition I started a few posts above?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/19/06 10:30 PM

Quote:

Okay - BOLers - since the Regulatory agencies seem either unwilling or unable to define "Temporary" financing, why don't WE do it and submit it to the agencies?

How about we start with:

1. Temporary financing includes any loan for the initial construction of a dwelling.

2. Temporary financing is any loan, regardless of purpose, that is secured by a dwelling but where the loan is made on the premise that the repayment will NOT come from the ordinary income or revenue of the borrower, but will come from either the sale of the property or from financing that will be repaid by ordinary income or revenue of the borrower.

Post your comments, additions, revisions, etc, and let's COME UP WITH a solid definition for "Temporary" financing and see if we can get the regulatory agencies to consider it.

Bumping this up - anyone want to comment?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/20/06 02:09 PM

Bonnie, those definitions look good to me. They are both logical and comprehensible.

You'll never make it as a bureaucrat.
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/20/06 08:42 PM

I'm back from vacation and rehabilitation from my ATV accident [you'll have to read the "I'm on Vacation" thread in the Private Cooler] and look at what I missed!?!?

We have had several discussions with regulators and several emails exchanged with HMDA Help(less). I'm not going to share them as it will only add to the confusion that is already posted here.

What we all need to do is contact our trade associations (American Bankers Assoc., Independent Community Bankers Assoc., etc.) and DEMAND a regulatory clarification. I would also contact your state associations. Give them a link to this BOL post so they can see the confusion. These associations have more power collectively than we do individually.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/20/06 09:30 PM

Quote:

Bonnie, those definitions look good to me. They are both logical and comprehensible.

You'll never make it as a bureaucrat.

Oh rats! There goes my fall-back for a retirement plan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/20/06 09:43 PM

Okay - I'll make the first comment/correction on "my" Temporary financing definition:

1. Temporary financing includes any loan for the initial construction of a dwelling provided that loan does not also include permanent financing.

2. Temporary financing is any loan, regardless of purpose, that is secured by a dwelling but where the loan is made on the premise that repayment of any of the principal loan balance will NOT come from the ordinary income or revenue of the borrower, but will come from either the sale of the property or from financing that will be repaid by ordinary income or revenue of the borrower.

3. Loans to finance the intial construction of more than a single 1-4 family dwelling are not reportable regardless of any principal reduction schedule.

This amendment is intended to clarify:

- Construction-perm loans ARE reportable.

- Interest-only payments would not disqualify a loan from being considered temporary

-Loans that have principal reductions during the term of the loan would no longer qualify as "temporary" (with the exception of loans described in item #3) so you don't have someone trying to pass off a 2 year loan with principal and interest payments as "temporary" because the borrower is still looking to sell the property.

-Make it clear that tract construction loans are not HMDA reportable even if there are principal reductions.

Any more thoughts?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/21/06 01:32 PM

I was told by our regulator that any loan made where the primary source of repayment is the sale of the property can not be considered temporary financing, including construction loans.

I don't agree with them, but that doesn't really matter.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/21/06 05:34 PM

Quote:

I was told by our regulator that any loan made where the primary source of repayment is the sale of the property can not be considered temporary financing, including construction loans.

I don't agree with them, but that doesn't really matter.

This is why David made the point that he did. Banks are not in a position to argue with their regulator when it seems their regulator has taken leave of their senses, so we need to get the various organizations involved to bring this to a head and get a uniform consensus and definition that does not leave room for such "imaginative" interpretation.

I have to wonder HOW someone can READ the HMDA regulation where it says point blank:

Section 203.4 Compilation of loan data.

(d) Excluded data. A financial institution
shall not report:

(3) Temporary financing (such as bridge or construction loans);

So how can you look at that and then say "You must report Construction loans?"

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 01/23/06 06:35 PM

Quote:

Okay - I'll make the first comment/correction on "my" Temporary financing definition:

1. Temporary financing includes any loan for the initial construction of a dwelling provided that loan does not also include permanent financing.

2. Temporary financing is any loan, regardless of purpose, that is secured by a dwelling but where the loan is made on the premise that repayment of any of the principal loan balance will NOT come from the ordinary income or revenue of the borrower, but will come from either the sale of the property or from financing that will be repaid by ordinary income or revenue of the borrower.

3. Loans to finance the intial construction of more than a single 1-4 family dwelling are not reportable regardless of any principal reduction schedule.

This amendment is intended to clarify:

- Construction-perm loans ARE reportable.

- Interest-only payments would not disqualify a loan from being considered temporary

-Loans that have principal reductions during the term of the loan would no longer qualify as "temporary" (with the exception of loans described in item #3) so you don't have someone trying to pass off a 2 year loan with principal and interest payments as "temporary" because the borrower is still looking to sell the property.

-Make it clear that tract construction loans are not HMDA reportable even if there are principal reductions.

Any more thoughts?

I think you will need to come up with some clarification on "ordinary income". Can't have any gray areas.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/01/06 07:22 PM

Just quickly, I spoke with our FED examiner a few minutes ago after Becca pointed me to this uproar...he said contruction and bridge loans were fine...but where we used to consider purchasing a home on a single-pay note, source of repayment resale...no longer would qualify. He said we will not be required to redo for 2005...and he recommended flagging our temps beginning 1-1-06 in case all the uproar causes a restatement of the answer and we end up needing to delete them. I did not request this in writing tho..sorry...Just thought you might want to hear something from an authority actually at the FED.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/03/06 05:25 PM

So according to your contact at the FED, is a loan used to construct a dwelling for resale fall under the "temporary financing" exemption?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/06/06 06:10 PM

Boy your examiners are nicer than mine. I had to go back and hunt all mine for 2005 and add them. I couldn't get anything in writing either, and I asked.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/10/06 04:46 PM

I spoke with my contact from the FDIC Chicago Regional Office yesterday. It looks like we will have to follow the FAQ posted on the FFIEC site.

He did say they are working on a new SCANS bulletin that will address the issue and they are also going to try to address a few of the questions that have been posted here. As soon as it is released (which will be a few weeks probably) I will share its content.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/10/06 04:52 PM

Great - just what we need is more regional interpretations.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/10/06 04:53 PM

I do not have to go back through the 2005 loans either - OCC. Flagging in 2006 is a good idea though.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/10/06 08:29 PM

Quote:

So according to your contact at the FED, is a loan used to construct a dwelling for resale fall under the "temporary financing" exemption?

Yes.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/10/06 08:47 PM

Quote:

I do not have to go back through the 2005 loans either - OCC. Flagging in 2006 is a good idea though.

Grrrr. Oh well, I will consider my experience as character building. At least now I will recognize some of the regular names that come up for 2006.
Posted By: Tesla

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Wouldn't this be 'no"?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Wouldn't this be 'no"?

No..it would be "yes"..temporary financing exemption:construction loans.

I have a huge feeling this "hurried" Q&A answer will be revisted...it's causing way too much conflict and will go nowhere towards uniform reporting.
Posted By: Tesla

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Wouldn't this be 'no"?

No..it would be "yes"..temporary financing exemption:construction loans.

I have a huge feeling this "hurried" Q&A answer will be revisted...it's causing way too much conflict and will go nowhere towards uniform reporting.

I agree, because I am completely confused now. In the example given, the source of repayment is the proceeds from the sale of the newly constructed house not permanent financing, right? I thought if the source of repayment for a loan was anything other than permanent financing - you had to report it. Isn't that what all the confusion is about?
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 07:34 PM

I don't believe the initial construction loan would. I say this because construction loans are specifically mentioned as temporary financing in the Q&A.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 07:53 PM

What got this whole thread going was that I asked that question and got an entirely different response. Unless someone is holding out on us, I don't believe that anyone has gotten a real definitive answer from someone that counts on this yet.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 08:11 PM

Quote:

I agree this is still exempt. This is what I call a "spec. house loan". This is NOT the same as a "splash and dash" or "rehab" loan. Those are purchases and the new FAQ makes it clear they are to be reported because they aren't construction loans. A Spec. House loan is a construction loan and clearly (at least to me ) meets the exemption.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/14/06 10:14 PM

FWIW, our regulator (KC FDIC) agrees with David. They said a loan to construct a home & sell it (spec home) is construction & therefore not reportable. A loan to purchase, fix up & sell a dwelling (splash & dash) is reportable.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/15/06 01:38 PM

Sweet! that's the clarification I've been waiting for.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/15/06 01:48 PM

Things that make you go hmmmmmm. . . . . .

Federal Register / Vol. 67, No. 32 / Friday, February 15, 2002 / Rules and Regulations Page 7231

Temporary Financing Regulation C generally does not permit lenders to report temporary financing. The Board has not amended these rules. The Board believes that, although in some cases the data would not be duplicative—such as where a lender originates construction loans but does not offer permanent financing these instances appear to be relatively few. Time Period. The Board requested comment on whether the regulation should define ‘‘temporary loans’’ in terms of a time period. A few financial institutions requested a definition that includes a specific time period. Upon further analysis, however, the Board believes that in the absence of any generally accepted time frame for ‘‘temporary financing,’’ it is impracticable to provide a ‘‘bright-line’’ test. Instead, the regulation will continue to offer examples, such as construction financing.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 12:54 PM

Quote:

FWIW, our regulator (KC FDIC) agrees with David. They said a loan to construct a home & sell it (spec home) is construction & therefore not reportable. A loan to purchase, fix up & sell a dwelling (splash & dash) is reportable.

That’s exactly the opposite interpretation that I received from our fed office. I’m glad to see all the regulators are on the same page with this.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 02:21 PM

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to obfuscate."

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 02:26 PM

Quote:

I’m glad to see all the regulators are on the same page with this.

From my conversation with my contact out of Chicago - your regulator's interpretation won't hold water - the only interpretation that will count will be that of the Board. They (you're regulator) can only give you guidance - but the Board has the final say in the interpretation.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 03:20 PM

Our FDIC contact in Oklahoma City which covers the Dallas Region said that a construction loan to construct a personal residence, a spec home, or a custom home does fall under the temporary financing exclusion. He also said that we were to report home purchases that are investment properties to be resold (whether improvements were made or not). FWIW - he also said that we were still to exempt bridge loans and we could use whatever our bank defines as a bridge loan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 05:27 PM

That guidance pretty well falls within the Board's interpretation.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 08:38 PM

I get this really strange tic in my left side every time I read this thread. I think I am beginning to suffer permanent brain damage.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 08:49 PM

Quote:

I get this really strange tic in my left side every time I read this thread. I think I am beginning to suffer permanent brain damage.

Posted By: SavannahOne

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 08:54 PM

Our OCC Examiner-In-Charge is relying on Fed Guidance that was provided to Karen Tucker (OCC Compliance Specialist). It clearly says Spec Construction is not automatically exempted. To wit:

"Regarding the spec homes or investment properties -- The intent is not to exclude loans to purchase a home from the HMDA report where the borrower does not intend to live, such as a spec home or investment home. The institution needs to look at all the factors/information in the application or loan and determine whether it is temporary and not simply base the decision on the fact that the home is a spec home, investment home, or the borrower does not intend to live in it."

Given this Fed opinion, I can not see away aroud reporting these(sigh).

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 09:29 PM

I can...that is clearly a contradiction of the wording itself..construction loans are exempt.

The verbiage "spec home or investment home" can have different meanings...yes, most builder construction loans are "speculative"..however a "spec" loan could also refer to speculation on investment purchases which would not be exempt.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 09:36 PM

Now the room is beginning to spinnnnnnn.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/17/06 11:36 PM

Q: When is Temporary financing not temporary financing?

A: When it isn't.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/18/06 03:53 PM

FWIW - I agree with Joker, I don't believe the OCC was referring to "spec" in the construction sense. I think is was in reference to a speculative investment loan, such as a "splash and dash".
Posted By: OldSchoolBanker

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/21/06 11:25 AM

Okay, given all that has been said, how do you view the following scenario?

Bridge Loan: Client takes out a 1yr term equity loan, against property A to help them buy property B a new home for all cash. No permanent financing on prop B.

The source of repayment for the 1yr term bridge loan is the sale of property A.

My take is it is not reportable. Any feedback?
Thanks!

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/21/06 01:14 PM

A "bridge loan" is specifically exempt under the regulation. Although the logic of the new Q&A (no permanent financing would disqualify it) I still think it qualifies for the bridge loan exemption.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/22/06 03:38 AM

I agree. Not reported - bridge loan = temporary financing exemption.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 02/22/06 06:34 PM

I also agree.
Posted By: Carolina Blue

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/10/06 05:48 PM

I'm trying to make sense of this and try to simplfy it for our loan ofifcers. Don't know if that's possible. Would this statement adhere to their intent of the guidance?

Temporary financing under HMDA is:
* an interest only or single pay loan that is intended to be paid off by the issuance of another loan to the same borrower,
* a construction loan, or
* a bridge loan

Yea or Nay?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/11/06 03:48 AM

I can go along with that Carolina Blue. Can you give me an example of a loan that meets the first criteria that isn't a construction or bridge loan?

Also, you may want to clearly define "construction" and "bridge" loans for your loan officers. Some try to call a home improvement loan a construction loan. I also like to say "you construct a dwelling once, you improve it from then on."

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/11/06 10:03 PM

I think part of the confusion over the "Spash and Dash" loans are that, as far as your Call Reporting is concerned, those loans ARE considered construction loans and reported on RC-C Part I Line 1a.

So you have one regulation calling them "construction" loans, and another regulation that says they aren't construction loans.

And yet, the Call Report definitions are what we must follow for defining a CRA Small Business loan!

Seriously - I think we have a Board Game in the making here......

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/13/06 07:03 PM

Bonnie, Why would you consider "Splash and Dash" construction? If I do a gut rehab on my house or part of my house, it is home improvement. I would think the same would be true for these. We are lending to someone to do home improvement on a current dwelling. They are not tearing the place down and building something new.

Besides, since we are lending to purchase, the home improvement/construction part doesn't come into play. While I may not agree that they are not temporary financing, the argument that because they are paid from the ordinary income of the borrower (the sale of the house) does make some sense in not classifying them as temporary.
Posted By: BrendaW

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/15/06 09:07 PM

I just got off the phone with my OCC examiner....here's the scoop. The Fed Reserve should be putting something out very soon. Hopefully it will help but based on what I was told I doubt it.

Secnario 1: Interim Construction Loan - spec house - borrower is the builder- borrower sells the home at completion. Loan paid off by buyer's mortgage company. Loan is HMDA reportable as the sale of the home is income to the builder therefore it is NOT temporary financing.

Scenario 2: consumer interim construction loan - personal residence - funds used to payoff interim is permanent financing from outside source - temp financing not reportable. If paid from current bank loan then the perm would be HMDA reportable but the interim would be considered temp financing.

What a mess....hopefully we will have something from the Fed Reserve that will put us all on the same page instead of different pages...

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/15/06 09:21 PM

So, pardon any confusion, they are telling you that spec construction loans ARE reportable? If that is correct, this is going to create a gigantic mess at our institution! And is that what HMDA Data is really supposed to include??

And WHY do they always do this stuff mid-year???
Posted By: Jaeger Schnitzel

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/15/06 10:45 PM

I think the problem comes from misunderstanding what “construction” and “bridge” loans are. You see, a common misconception is that a loan where the funds are used to build a house is a construction loan. This is simply not true. You see, intrinsic to the definition of both “construction” and “bridge” is that they will be replaced by permanent financing. That’s why Reg. C uses “construction” and “bridge” loans as examples of temporary financing, because very clearly “These examples indicate that financing is temporary if it is designed to be replaced with financing of a much longer term.”

We silly bankers would be a lot less confused if we stopped clinging to ridiculous definitions that include any loan to construct a building as a construction loan, when this is clearly not the case.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go add a couple of shots of Jaeger Meister to my tea so that I can make it through the afternoon.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 02:12 AM

Jaeger: I don't agree. Reg C is NOT new. It's been around for over 15 years. We've been excluding construction loan (ALL of them) for over 15 years. No where have the regulators ever said that construction had to be followed by permanent financing to be excluded.

What is says is construction and bridge loans are examples of temporary financing. They are excluded. There could be other types of temporary financing if the loan was followed by permanent financing.

Quote:

Scenario 1: Interim Construction Loan - spec house - borrower is the builder- borrower sells the home at completion. Loan paid off by buyer's mortgage company. Loan is HMDA reportable as the sale of the home is income to the builder therefore it is NOT temporary financing.

This is not consistent with anything we have heard in the past. No where does Reg C say a loan is not temporary if it is repaid from ordinary income. I have said that it is a good rule of thumb, but not a requirement. I have talked with numerous examiners on Spec. Homes and (so far) haven't had one say they are covered.

I encourage you to fight this until something official is issued.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 04:02 AM

So what does the Fed intend banks to do that finance housing tract financing for builders such as Centex, Griffin, S&S, Benchmark, and so on?

Afterall, those builders rely on the SALE of the homes for their revenue/income - so following this new "logic", tract construction financing is now HMDA reportable. Can you imagine a $56Million Purchase Loan for a 1-4 family dwelling with "N/A" for all of the GMI fields?

And if someone says "Well this doesn't include "Builders", then when do we arrive at the threshold? If the Builder builds more than 5 houses a year? 10 houses? 40 houses?
Posted By: Newbie06

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 02:39 PM

a question in regards to the temporary financing. Does one collect the monitoring information if it's a home purchase loan (investment property) if it is temporary financing?
Posted By: YHWB

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 03:16 PM

So has this thought process been officially issed by the FED, or is this something that is being considered?
Posted By: swiggles

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 03:51 PM

Quote:

a question in regards to the temporary financing. Does one collect the monitoring information if it's a home purchase loan (investment property) if it is temporary financing?

Lis, you may get different opinions on this issue, but here's my take. The regulation states that a financial institution shall collect data on ethnicity, race, sec and income. Then the regulation states that a financianl institution shall not report data for temporary financing. To me, that means collect it but do not report it. The same type of application form is used for temporary financing and permanent financing and if a customer comes in and asks for a real estate application to take home to complete, chances are, you're not going to know the particulars at that time.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 05:04 PM

David,
I was trying to ooze with sarcasim. Maybe that wasn't coming through. I agree that reporting spec construction is totally inconsistant with what what Reg. C says.

The logic of the Q&A is that somehow intrinsic in the definition of construction and bridge financing is that more financing will follow. I have no idea where they are getting this, but that's the only logical way I can find to read the Q&A. It makes no sense with what the reg says, but we've nevertheless changed our policy so that we report any construction or bridge loan that isn't being replaced by long term financing.
Posted By: jaybritt

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 06:22 PM

My word....I can not absorb all this INFORMATION. OK, so what about the customers we have who build a spec house? They will not payoff the loan with long term financing, but rather from sale of the property(hopefully). We're saying this loan is reportable. I say that knowing that the definition of temp financing includes construction loans, but due to the way the loan will be paid off is why we determine it to be HMDA reportable. Right?
Posted By: YHWB

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 07:25 PM

I agree. I think we need some expert clarification on this spec house issue.
Posted By: jap

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/16/06 07:29 PM

I am of the opinion that if any regulator or examiner wants to assert that any construction only loan must be reported, then they should be prepared to re-write the GIR, considering the multiple places it clearly states that a construction only loan is not reportable. What if your bank had two procedures regarding the same subject and the two procedures had contradictory information? To me this is the same situation.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 01:07 PM

I'm beginning to think they should just do away with the temporary financing exemption altogether. A little more work for a lot fewer headaches. By reporting the splash and dash loans, IMO we're reporting useless data now anyway, why not make it all a pile of garbage.
Posted By: Carolina Blue

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 02:17 PM

The stance I'm taking is...
A splash and dash loan is financing for a borrower to purchase a home, fix it up (splashes paint on it), and then will payoff the loan with the sale of the property (dashes). This loan is HMDA reportable (and may or may not be subject to RESPA).

A spec house loan is financing for a borrower to construct a home, and then pay it off with the sale of the house. This loan is a construction loan and not HMDA reportable (and not subject to RESPA unless the purchase of the lot is included, or the term is more than 2 years).

I talked to one FDIC guy and got the okay (of course not in writing )

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 04:38 PM

My brain has hemorrhaged.....what do you think about the following?
1) individual's construction loan - will be replaced with perm (15,20,30 year mortgage) - Not HMDA applicable
2) construction loan contractor (spec) - will pay off with sale of collateral or some other means of income (anything other than perm financing) - HMDA applicable
3) contractor or individual build house to sell (spec)...house doesn't sell, has to be placed on payments with us. Term isn't 15-20-30, but more like 3 or 5 year with a balloon. Still consider this temporary financing - HMDA reportable.

The reason I say this is: the Q&A answers the one about splash and dash, the words "much longer" term does not tell me what I need to know, so I err on the side of obvious (15-20-30 year)and hope that works.. You know this will change about November of this year and what ever we have done will not be right and we'll have to start over!!!!!

Help me out guys...opinions please

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 04:45 PM

IMO 1 & 2 still falls within the construction loan exemption.

#3 would be reportable as a home purchase. Balloon loans are not temporary financing.

Keep in mind the Q&A is referencing a "splash & dash" loan. These loans are not the same as a construction loan.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 05:44 PM

on # 2 - the spec that will pay off with something other than perm financing....anything thing we do with that loan will still only be a fix until the customer can get the house sold.....the loan was never meant to be permanent and the contractor never has intentions of keeping it in his name with a long term mortgage...please explain. I agree under the old definition, but how do you discount the new one in the Q & As?

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 06:02 PM

The splash and dash loan is to purchase an existing dwelling, renovate it and sell it. That is not a construction loan. Building a spec home is a construction loan, and construction loans are specifically exempt.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 07:05 PM

But the Q&A says that Construction loans are loans that are designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term. They've changed the definition. I don't like it one bit, but I don't see how you can avoid reporting spec construction with the way the Q&A is worded.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 08:29 PM

I agree, the change in wording now takes away that neat little "time" matter and makes you think about the way a loan is handled when it matures

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 08:41 PM

The examples indicate that financing is temporary if.........

The Q&A has not changed the definition of a construction loan. As long as the construction loan is for the initial construction of the dwelling, I will rely on the construction exemption until there is written regulatory clarification to do otherwise.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 10:14 PM

Why did I read all this. Now I have a major headache on Friday and it is almost 5.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 10:30 PM

Quote:

So what does the Fed intend banks to do that finance housing tract financing for builders such as Centex, Griffin, S&S, Benchmark, and so on?

Good question. They didn't collect on these loans in the past. That doesn't make it wrong today. The FRB drew a line in the sand that said "we don't want temporary loans." That excluded Spec homes.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 10:33 PM

Quote:

David,
I was trying to ooze with sarcasim. Maybe that wasn't coming through. I agree that reporting spec construction is totally inconsistant with what what Reg. C says.

I didn't pick up on this. Sorry. Probably because this whole topic makes me mad.

Quote:

. . . but we've nevertheless changed our policy so that we report any construction or bridge loan that isn't being replaced by long term financing.

I think this is incorrect. Over reporting is not OK. I believe this will be a violation at your next exam. Maybe you have discussed this with your local examiners. If not, I encourage you to do so.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 10:36 PM

Quote:

The stance I'm taking is...
A splash and dash loan is financing for a borrower to purchase a home, fix it up (splashes paint on it), and then will payoff the loan with the sale of the property (dashes). This loan is HMDA reportable (and may or may not be subject to RESPA).

A spec house loan is financing for a borrower to construct a home, and then pay it off with the sale of the house. This loan is a construction loan and not HMDA reportable (and not subject to RESPA unless the purchase of the lot is included, or the term is more than 2 years).

Perfect! That's exactly right. I haven't heard from any examiners that say anything different than this. The Splash and Dash memo (fiasco) didn't say to change this either.

If you all read Dan's and post and mine, you'll see that we are consistent are this. Spec Houses (construction) are NOT reported.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 03/17/06 10:45 PM

I'm going to address these two posts with one:
Quote:

on # 2 - the spec that will pay off with something other than perm financing....anything thing we do with that loan will still only be a fix until the customer can get the house sold.....the loan was never meant to be permanent and the contractor never has intentions of keeping it in his name with a long term mortgage...please explain. I agree under the old definition, but how do you discount the new one in the Q & As?

Quote:

But the Q&A says that Construction loans are loans that are designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term. They've changed the definition. I don't like it one bit, but I don't see how you can avoid reporting spec construction with the way the Q&A is worded.

You are both taking 1 sentence from the Q&A and placing your entire definition of temporary on it. §203.4(d)(3) says NOT to report "Temporary financing (such as bridge or construction loans)" Construction and bridge loans are ALWAYS exempt. The FAQ doesn't contradict this.

Read the entire Answer (from the FFIEC FAQ):
Answer: The regulation lists as examples of temporary financing construction loans and bridge loans. See 203.4(d)(3). Construction and bridge loans are illustrative, not exclusive, examples of temporary financing. The examples indicate that financing is temporary if it is designed to be replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term. A loan is not temporary financing merely because its term is short. For example, a lender may make a loan with a 1-year term to enable an investor to purchase a home, renovate it, and re-sell it before the term expires. Such a loan must be reported as a home purchase loan. See 203.2(h).

It says Construction and Bridge loans are Illustrative. IOW, there may be other types of temporary financing. Then the Q&A gives some guidance for other types. This doesn't over ride what you already have exempt (construction/bridge). It gives guidance on OTHER types of temporary loans that may exist.

For instance, if I wanted to borrower money to remodel my kitchen. If you did a multiple advance HI loan that will be replaced at the end of the improvement period (6 months) with a 5 year loan, this first loan would NOT be reported, yet it isn't a "construction" loan.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 04/05/06 05:11 PM

Thanks for all the information.
Posted By: TEXAS LJ

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 04/26/06 04:41 PM

I read on the internet that the rehab loans ahould have been included in our 05 submission. Did anyone back up and do this? Did anyone resubmit? I couldn't find on the FFIEC site where it said we must.
Posted By: SavannahOne

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 04/26/06 05:07 PM

By calling it a clarification, they technically required you to back up and do that. Talk to you EIC and see if he/she will agree to not ask about that issue for 2005 on the basis that moving temporary loans to permanent loan status in November was more than a mere clarification of an existing rule.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 04/26/06 08:04 PM

I think there has been a variety of answers to this. I was told by our examiner that I had to go back and add them. Others were told they didn't have to. I think you better contact your examiners and ask them.
Posted By: MyScamper

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/05/06 10:40 PM

I just finished reading this entire thread (with great interest) and noticed how interpretations by the posters (and your regulators) changed from January to April. This has been a nightmare for us too, because our niche is construction lending (no end financing, EVER).

I'm wondering if any of you listened in on the FDIC's Chicago Region conference call on 4/25/06. The phones at the local FDIC field office were ringing off the hook after that one. Here is some of the guidance we received by 2 Field Examiners out of the Princeton Field office and L. Ray Jackson, the Regional Director, who I'm sure many of you are familiar with:
1) Purchase and rehab loans (splash & dash) are HMDA reportable because the event that came first is the purchase.
2) Developing a tract of land and building homes for resale - NOT HMDA reportable.
3) Conversion of a building from commercial use to residential condos - NOT HMDA reportable.
4) Large addition to a home (even if over 50% SF addition) is a home improvement loan, not construction
5) Tear downs - if 2 separate loans, the loan to purchase the lot is HMDA reportable as a purchase, and the construction loan is NOT HMDA reportable. If it is all one loan, NOT HMDA reportable.

Needless to say, this guidance pretty much was the opposite of previous instructions. When I called our Review Examiner, she said, "Heard you on the call and was expecting to hear from you". I provided her with an email listing numerous questions regarding construction loans, refinancing, when is a dwelling a dwelling (how much has to be completed before it is a dwelling), etc. My last email from her said they were going to Washington with my concerns. We have an examiner coming on-site on Tuesday 5/9/06 to provide HMDA training for our Lenders and Admin. Assts. I will post her remarks/responses after that.
Posted By: swiggles

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 01:48 PM

Quote:

Large addition to a home (even if over 50% SF addition) is a home improvement loan, not construction

If the improvement project is short term to be replaced by permanent financing, it's still temporary financing and not reportable........correct?

Quote:

Tear downs - if 2 separate loans, the loan to purchase the lot is HMDA reportable as a purchase, and the construction loan is NOT HMDA reportable. If it is all one loan, NOT HMDA reportable.

HUH??? I don't know what the definition of a "tear down" is, but how is the purchase of a lot ever reportable?
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 02:22 PM

A "tear down" is an old delapedated house that is purchased with the intent of tearing it down and building a new house on that lot. So when the lot is purchased there is a dwelling on it. That's what makes it HMDA reportable.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 06:48 PM

Actually, not all "tear downs" are old delapedated houses. Most of ours are pretty nice houses, but the builder wants the lot to build an even bigger and better house.
Posted By: Sage

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 07:18 PM

Ok for HMDA do you call this a home purchase eventhough the customer is only buying it for the lot?
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 07:32 PM

If I understand correctly, that's what MyScamper's original post was saying. She said that Chicago FDIC is saying that if a single loan is done to finance the acquisition, teardown and reconstruction it would be considered a construction loan and would not be HMDA reportable. On the other hand if one loan was done to finance the acquisition, and another loan was done to finance the tear down and reconstruction, the acquisition loan would be reportable as a home purchase loan. The construction loan would still not be reportable.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 07:40 PM

FWIW MB, that is how I see the interpretation also.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/08/06 08:08 PM

I just had a phone conversation with the examiner that is doing our on-site training tomorrow. She and the review examiner had a conference call with some Washington FDIC honcho and a rep from the FED. They have backed off some from the statements that were made on the FDIC Chicago Region conference call. She stated that for those transactions that were not clearly reportable or not reportable, they were going to be looking for a reasonable standard based on intent that the bank uses on a consistent bases. For example, if the borrower purchases a lot that happens to have a dwelling on it (which is not considered in the appraisal value)with the INTENT of tearing down the house and building a new one, it is NOT reportable because it is a lot loan. If the bank then gives builder funds to pay off this loan and construct the new building, it is NOT reportable because this is a construction loan. Guess What?!?! This is exactly how we were (not) reporting these loans before!!!!! She strongly emphasized the "reasonable standard" and "intent" criteria and suggested it would not be a bad idea to put our "reasonable standards" in writing so that all loan officers would be on the same page.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/09/06 04:39 PM

Loans qualifying as temporary financing:

1. Loans meeting the definition of a bridge or construction loan.
2. Loans made where the source of repayment will be other long term financing arrangements by PSB or another lender. If the long term financing arrangement is from another lender there must be a take out commitment from the lender in the file.

All other loans that meet the definition of a home purchase, home improvement or refinancing are now reportable for HMDA purposes. The purchase/renovation of a dwelling where the loan is to be repaid by the sale of the dwelling (or another asset) is no longer eligible for the temporary financing exemption.

Dan - This was from your very first post back in January and you were absolutely right, based on the guidance we received from our FDIC examiner during our on-site training.

She confirmed that the purchase/rehab/resale loans are HMDA reportable as purchases. If it were purchase/rehab with the "INTENT" of getting permanent financing at the end, it would be temporary financing.

She emphasized "Reasonable Standard" and "Intent". Here is a direct quote from one of the slides: TEMPORARY FINANCING - To determine if loan is reportable or not:Institutions should define temporary financing based on their business practice AND establish consistent criteria to evaluate whether a loan is temporary financing. This is referred to as "Reasonable Standard."

Also, "If the applicant knows or expects the loan to be replaced by permanent financing, then the initial, originated loan is temporary."

Our take away from the training is that we need to develop and implement the reasonable standards (which are bank defined) based on the borrowers intended use of the funds, and ensure that the standards are consistently followed.

If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them based on what we were told today.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/09/06 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the FDIC examiners are trying to be reasonable in their approach. And I certainly can buy into the "reasonable standard" guideline.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/12/06 07:26 PM

I wanted to add this to humor you. I have a lender who is doing a loan to a customer to construct a portion of the customers house. Note: under the definition of construction this is not an actual construction loan. He is going to refinance the 1st and this 2nd loan when complete into one home mortgage. I told him this is temporary financing and not to complete HMDA, because he is replacing the 2nd (and the 1st) with another loan.

Oh please respond. We can talk all day about this one.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/16/06 02:15 PM

Funny you should have the exact situation that the FDIC examiner gave in our training session. She obtained a construction loan to build an addition, and at completion got an end loan that paid off the construction loan and 1st mortgage. She said this was temporary financing. So you are correct.

Re: HMDA Temporary Financing Cave In - 05/16/06 02:53 PM

Thanks for the response. I was basing my decision on the fact that the plan was to replace the construction portion loan.