HUD 1a

Posted By: Colleen

HUD 1a - 09/20/02 08:36 PM

On the HUD 1a, I know you are to put actual costs of settlement charges. If there is one cost that you are not sure of, can you put "estimate" behind it. I have looked thru the reg and can't find this info...Thanks for the info on a late Friday afternoon.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: HUD 1a - 09/20/02 08:44 PM

I can use the best known facts at the time of preparation. In the long run though, you can only charge the borrower the actual cost amount.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: HUD 1a - 09/20/02 08:45 PM

On the closing settlement statement, when all is said and done, why would there be an estimated figure? Checks are cut on this unless it was a POC item such as the customer providing an insurance cost, and I'd go with that.
Posted By: Colleen

Re: HUD 1a - 09/20/02 08:54 PM

We know all costs except for the abstracting fee. And we have a pretty good idea of what this will be (but not exact).The abstractor is not available to get final figures before loan closing. So..., is it in the reg somewhere allowing an estimate on the HUD 1a in these cases?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: HUD 1a - 09/20/02 09:08 PM

I guess I based my comment on 3500.10:

(a) Inspection one day prior to settlement upon request by the borrower. The settlement agent shall permit the borrower to inspect the HUD-1 or HUD-1A settlement statement, completed to set forth those items that are known to the settlement agent at the time of inspection, during the business day immediately preceding settlement.

I guess I have never not known a cost at the time of actual settlement. But if you happened to have charged the borrower $10.00 and it was only $9.00, you better refund the dollar so you don't have section 8 violation.